Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: MY FUNNY VALENTINE  (Read 35107 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: MY FUNNY VALENTINE
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »

And this year's Beard Award Nominations for Chefs and Restaurants have been released.

One of the nominees for Best Chef, Mid-Atlantic Region, is Jay Caputo, who owns and runs Espuma, here in Rehoboth!

Chef Jay was busy at his restaurant today, so one of his sous chefs came in and bought about $100 of lobsters.  I sent congrats via the sous chef.

I actually know a Beard Award Nominee.  I feel like I'm moving up in the world!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2009, 11:36:59 AM »

Page Seven "I need a nap" Dance:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2009, 11:38:31 AM »

Congrats to Chef Jay!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »

VIXMOM, you need Marvelous Matt! Seriously, you may be able to find someone from the construction business who is in need of work right now--so many are. I certainly hope you do!

Do you think we could pay to fly Marvelous Matt down to Florida to help Danise, if things don't work out with her guy?

that's actually not a bad idea.

Ginny

« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »

Congratulations to Chef Jay on his Beard nomination and belated congratulations to DR Elmore's friends on their Larson grant.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »

Here's a pic of "Kitty" and my roommate, Jim, that was taken a couple of minutes ago.

It was sort of a "Farewell Kitty" pic.  Faith had been trying to find a shelter that would take Kitty, but it turned out that her boyfriend - who lives in Brooklyn - decided to keep and take care of Kitty.  -Which would allow Faith to keep seeing Kitty.  ;)

What a doll!! I'm so glad kitty has found humans who will take care of her

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2009, 12:03:12 PM »

Jim is cute too!

Cillaliz

« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »

I was up early, and at the store by six AM.  When I arrived, there was already a customer, waiting for the store to open.

From six to seven, there was a regular stream of customers, all male.

And it stayed like for the rest of the day, plus the usual customers.

A steady stream of men.

A steady stream of heterosexual men.

A steady stream of poor, poor, pussywhipped heterosexual men.

In fact, the stream was building in momentum as the morning came to a close.

Very few of the men were smiling, by the way.  Many of them looked downright grim.

Gina, who runs the Florist's department, is going to have phenomenal sales once again this year.

There were a few women buying flowers and other gifties, but not nearly as much as the men, and they usually had their girlfriends with them.

Occasionally, there was the guessably gay fellow getting something for his sweetie.

There were no straight women getting gifties for their fellows, as far as I could tell. 

Nope, for the most part Valentine's Day is men giving gifties to their ladies fair, but not vice versa.

At least, gifties that involve spending money.

And that is the supermarket report for today.

Or Maybe the "Ladies fair" purchased their gifts before Valentine's day and not at the last minute

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »

Thanks for the info DR Jane. I will take a look at it. Although the peanut butter i buy is made in canada.

It is not where your peanut butter is made, Jennifer, that you have to worry about.  The problem is where they purchased the peanuts to make the butter.

I read the list DR Jane posted for Canada. I did not recognized 90% of the brands. And the ones i did recognize i don't buy.

There hasn't been much news of the recalls here. It doesn't seem like they are recalling any main brands.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2009, 12:10:53 PM »

I tried to go to the mall and do some errands.  As soon as I got outside and headed toward town I realized that I have a headache a bit of a sore throat and am a little dizzy.  I started to feel a cold coming on last night, but was hoping it wouldn't really happen.

So, I went to the grocery store - where I saw a number of men and women buying the $9.99 per dozen roses - and got my weekend supplies.  MAN has steak gone up in price.  I was going to make a nice steak dinner, but not for these prices.  Anyway, after getting groceries and a quick trip to Petco, I am in for the weekend.  I did bring home the work I want to do and the info I need to do my taxes, so I may do that here at home.

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2009, 12:13:14 PM »

Last night on the news they reported that home values here increased 5% over the past year and foreclosures are at the lowest in 5 years. Our local economy was bad when everyone else was good.    The inflation, however we have.  It seemed like all the prices at the store today were higher than in the past.

Cillaliz

« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:43 PM »

Happy Valentine's Day.  Almost forgot to say that. 

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

Off to do two shows.  Back late (r).
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2009, 12:20:14 PM »

Off to do two shows.  Back late (r).

Break a leg!

Cillaliz

« Reply #195 on: February 14, 2009, 12:22:30 PM »

DR Samantha has created facebook profiles for 2 of their dogs - apparently Zoey isn't interested in facebook.  The funny thing is they each have about a dozen friends already!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: February 14, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »

Break A Leg - Twice, DR TCB!
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #197 on: February 14, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »

For you Twitterers--the Oregonian reports on its front page this morning that bunch of people who took Mad Men character names are actually Portlanders, and it turns out "Peggy Olson" is a very great sounding jazz vocalist I know.

"@PeggyOlson" or "@Peggy_Olson" or @BadPeggyOlson"?

Regardless of who she is, did she attend the "Shorty Awards" earlier this week here in NYC?

I think it's the first one, Jose, and, yes, she's in NYC at this very moment.  Some big announcement was made yesterday at the Twitter Awards or whatever the hell they're called.  The fact that this made the front page of The Oregonian may give some indication of the lack of anything ever happening out here.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #198 on: February 14, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »

Wow, I introduced Singers Unlimited to DAW, Gershon's "September" to FJL, and Dusty Groove to BK.  I'm quite the social butterfly.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #199 on: February 14, 2009, 12:41:28 PM »

I just went a little nuts at the Circuit City going out of business sale and picked up a ton of BDs at 40% off.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: February 14, 2009, 12:48:56 PM »

For you Twitterers--the Oregonian reports on its front page this morning that bunch of people who took Mad Men character names are actually Portlanders, and it turns out "Peggy Olson" is a very great sounding jazz vocalist I know.

"@PeggyOlson" or "@Peggy_Olson" or @BadPeggyOlson"?

Regardless of who she is, did she attend the "Shorty Awards" earlier this week here in NYC?

I think it's the first one, Jose, and, yes, she's in NYC at this very moment.  Some big announcement was made yesterday at the Twitter Awards or whatever the hell they're called.  The fact that this made the front page of The Oregonian may give some indication of the lack of anything ever happening out here.  ;)

Yep, "she" won the Advertising "Shorty" over some "real people".  There was a lot of speculation over who would actually show up to accept the award - especially since Elizabeth Moss is currently in town with Speed the Plow.

SHORTY AWARDS

*A bunch of the real people behind the Twitter screen names have been revealed over the past couple of months.  I do have to give them credit for staying in character an "in era"(!) when people have asked them questions.   They've had to be very careful when responding to a query about a particular brand name, product or song.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »

Yes--the Oregonian specifically mentioned that "Peggy" thought the Super Bowl was Tupperware.  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »

OK - I believe I'm going to spend a few hours of this February 14th/Valentine's Day/Single's Awareness Day down in Chinatown.  -I'm in the mood for some pork and chive dumplings from Prosperity Dumpling - five for a dollar!  Sounds like a "romantic meal" to me. ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »

Careful, DR DAW - Those might be considered sugar-laden and fattening.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #204 on: February 14, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »

Does anyone know of a possible source if I need to handle this myself?

We get the new upgrade every year, DR elmore3003.  But the software is registered and can't be re-installed on another machine.

DAW

« Reply #205 on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »

Quite right, DR JoseSPiano.  I've deleted the offending image.

JMK

« Reply #206 on: February 14, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »

Does anyone know of a possible source if I need to handle this myself?

We get the new upgrade every year, DR elmore3003.  But the software is registered and can't be re-installed on another machine.

I know this probably further aligns me with the luddites, but I hate, hate, hate Finale.  It is the most non-intuitive music notation program I have ever encountered.  For everyday SATB charts I still use Encore.  So sue me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2009, 01:02:17 PM »

Hey, I like seeing sugar laden and fattening. I don't gain weight by looking at them. 

Oh, have I mentioned I'm now half way to my goal. I've lost 35 pounds!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:22 PM »

What a doll!! I'm so glad kitty has found humans who will take care of her

I'm glad too.  And I'm really glad that both Faith and Jim realized that it would be impractical and totally unfair to Kitty if they had decided to keep Kitty here.  All of us here have very non-regular schedules, and it would have been nearly impossible to make sure that Kitty got fed regularly and was given the attention and petting and cuddling that he deserves.

They're also still trying to figure out if Kitty was a real stray or if someone just abandoned Kitty.  Kitty seemed very clean (healthy paw pads, etc.) and well-behaved, and responded to "Come here", "Don't go there", "Go outside".  But Kitty was not spayed - that will happen next week. So... ???  But there have been no signs up in the neighborhood about a missing cat - well, at least one matching Kitty's description.  And Faith also checked craiglist over the past week and a half looking for notices.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »

Quite right, DR JoseSPiano.  I've deleted the offending image.

NO MORE DELETING!!!!!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up