Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PSYCHEDELIC NOTES  (Read 35628 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE PSYCHEDELIC NOTES
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »

I, too, enjoyed DR Laura's photos. I'm quite fond of public art.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2009, 09:30:24 AM »

Hello, everyone.

It's a lovely day here in the hinterlands.

I'm never entirely sure where you are at any given moment, DR Jeanne, so please forgive me when I ask if by hinterlands you are referencing someplace in Southern California.

No, Ron, I am currently in the hinterlands of northern Florida. I am having some medical treatments done here, then will mosey out west to SoCal.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »

I haven't been entirely sure where I am lately, either, so Ron's confusion is quite understandable.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »

Continued healing vibes to Vixmom and all who need them.

DAW

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:15 AM »

Ron's confusion is quite understandable.

For more reasons than one might initially suspect.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »

After having watched previous seasons of "American Idol", I have given it up completely.

It was never great in the first season (and Kelly Clarkson does not register with me as a singing talent I care to indulge in).

I'll never believe that Clay Aiken received fewer votes than Ruben Studdard (Ruben "who?" you may well be asking) in Season 2.

And when the two best, and truly gifted, singers EVER to appear on "American Idol" -- Eliot Yamin and Melinda Doolittle -- could finish only as high as 3rd place to the likes of Taylor "Goober Hicks", Katherine "McPitchy" McPhee, Jordin "Where is she now?" Sparks and that beat boxer whose name I have mercifully forgotten...well.....it's time to smell the coffee for me.

It's been fun picking on Paula and poo-poohing Simon for being a British a**hole, but I'll say again:  LIFE IS TOO SHORT!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

Ron's confusion is quite understandable.

For more reasons than one might initially suspect.

Well look at what I have to contend with!    :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »

Time to scoot. TTFN.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »

Hmmm... The folks over at Acqua Panna and San Pellegrino want to feature some of my food photos on their websites.  Hmmm....  No money involved, but a nice acknowledgment.  Hmmm...

:)

That['s our Jose!! Soon you willbe the most known man in NYC in every field!!

I bet you could easily sell a book of your eating and walking tours of New York complete with Monkey pictures!  In fact in could be a whole series for different types of food  or different parts of the city

Tour the Theatre District with Jose and Monkey, SoHO, Harlem, etc

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »

Hello, everyone.

It's a lovely day here in the hinterlands.

I'm never entirely sure where you are at any given moment, DR Jeanne, so please forgive me when I ask if by hinterlands you are referencing someplace in Southern California.

No, Ron, I am currently in the hinterlands of northern Florida. I am having some medical treatments done here, then will mosey out west to SoCal.

I hope things go well with your treatments and that you will find something to enjoy in northern Florida in the winter time!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2009, 09:44:21 AM »

Hmmm... The folks over at Acqua Panna and San Pellegrino want to feature some of my food photos on their websites.  Hmmm....  No money involved, but a nice acknowledgment.  Hmmm...

:)

That['s our Jose!! Soon you willbe the most known man in NYC in every field!!

Well....not EVERY field, surely.  That's too much real estate.  And there's only so many hours in the day. 

vixmom

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »

Vixdad was most suprised when he came back from dropping the Vixter off for school to find his lunch all packed and ready for him.

There is so little I can do around here.  Because of the stomach tube I have been forbidden to lift things over 10 lbs, vaccuum etc, anything that might strain the stomach muscles.

What happens when you sneeze?
Unfortunately it often starts a vomiting attack - even blowing my nose can do that
One of the reasons I have been so careful to stay away from people.  Yesterday when my Mom brought me to the store I wore my gloves the whole time to try and prevent picking up any germs from the shopping cart etc.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2009, 09:46:49 AM »

Re:  All the "Into the Woods" hoo-haw.

I find the score flat-out brilliant and engaging.  I feel the same way about "A Little Night Music" and "Follies" and, more than any of them, "Sweeney Todd."  They are among a precious few scores I can listen to over and over, straight through and with many repeats!  :)

The Sondheim score I struggle the most with is "Sunday in the Park With George".  Some of it is wonderful and some is downright disengaging.  I'm not particularly fond of "Pacific Overtures", either.  Perhaps, in both cases, it would help to see the shows.

I've not investigated "Passion" or "Bounce."

DR Ron, I felt the same way about Pacific Overtures until Theaterworks in Palo Alto mounted the show in 2001.  It was of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.  It's one of those shows that sometimes the CD just isn't enough to grab your interest in the material.  Kinda the same with Sunday......although when I finally saw it, I slept through part of it.  It's on my list of shows I'd like to delve into one day, because there are some great moments.

Laura

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2009, 09:47:17 AM »

Jordin "Where is she now?" Sparks

She is home in the Phoenix area. She sang at the opening of the Cardinals home play-off game vs. the Eagles. I think she is also going to sing at the NBA All-Star game (but I'm not positive on that one).
"That's a lotta hamsters."

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2009, 09:47:31 AM »

Continued healing vibes to Vixmom and all who need them.
thanks!

Ben

« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »

It looks like a beautifil sunny day outside and I beleive the temperature is due to be in the 50's.  Nice day for a field trip!

According to New York One it's 64 degrees. Too warm for the light leather jacket I wore when I left the house at 6am.

My meeting is over and it went very well. The Ford Foundation people were impressed.

I left and went to the Greenmarket where I purchased some apples and pears, some juice from

Red Jacket Orchards

some baked goods (a spinach quiche, a stromboli, some rugelach, and a Valentine's Day chocolate heart) from

Baker's Bounty

and a bunch of tulips from my flower man. My scone person was not there today so I don't have a scone for Sunday breakfast but Anthony isn't here to enjoy it with me anyway so all the better I skip the scone.

I came home, put away my goods and had a salad for lunch and I just finished a banana.

I will be seeing Miss Jane Fonda in

33 Variations

this evening.

That's it from Chelsea.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:50:06 AM by Ben »

vixmom

« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »

Yes, I did delete the link, as I said I was going to. I don't want anyone but HHW folks viewing my kid being silly. I'll delete it a bit later.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love you and Sandra! You always make me laugh and feel good!

;D

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:59:17 AM by vixmom »

Laura

« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2009, 09:54:05 AM »

I'm still after her to get those dollar bills with witty sayings in the mail to you. She is a procrastinator!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

vixmom

« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »

It looks like a beautifil sunny day outside and I beleive the temperature is due to be in the 50's.  Nice day for a field trip!

According to New York One it's 64 degrees. Too warm for the light leather jacket I wore when I left the house at 6am.

My meeting is over and it went very well. The Ford Foundation people were impressed.

I left and went to the Greenmarket where I purchased some apples and pears, some juice from

Red Jacket Orchards

some baked goods (a spinach quiche, a stromboli, some rugelach, and a Valentine's Day chocolate heart) from

Baker's Bounty

and a bunch of tulips from my flower man. My scone person was not there today so I don't have a scone for Sunday breakfast but Anthony isn't here to enjoy it with me anyway so all the better I skip the scone.

I came home, put away my goods and had a salad for lunch and I just finished a banana.

I will be seeing Miss Jane Fonda in

33 Variations

this evening.

That's it from Chelsea.

WOW! 64 degrees!  The Vixter wore her winter caot into the city I hope she doesn't melt!

It sounds like you are having a lovely day, good for you!! I am glad the important meeting went well. I hope the afternoon continues to be as enjoyable!

vixmom

« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:20 AM »

I'm still after her to get those dollar bills with witty sayings in the mail to you. She is a procrastinator!

Oh not to worry the $2 bill was a Christmas present!

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:49 AM »

I'm not even going to watch AMERICAN IDOL tonight. I don't need to see two hours of people walking that long walk to the chair in front of the judges, having the judges plays with the person's brain, and then get the news of yes or no.

I'll see the 36 they pick when the semifinals start next week.

Or you can just read the list (it's already been released). But i glanced at it without pictures a while back. And 99% of the names at the time meant nothing.

Actually i am looking forward to tonight's show. The reason being that because it is 2 hours i am pretty sure that they will go back and show us a lot of their auditions (the people we have not seen).

I remember they did this in the past. So i'm hoping to see some of the people i have not seen before.

As I said, I'll see them when they perform an entire song with the band during the semifinals. The names mean absolutely nothing to me anyway. I'll learn their names when they make an impression on me (good or bad) during the semifinal round.

And I have to say that the judges have been impressed with some people I thought were mediocre or worse, so I'm decidedly unenthusiastic that THEY get to have wild card choices again this season.

DR MattH - If you don't watch tonight's episode, you won't get to see the new "Judge's Mansion"!!!  -I guess they're not using the old Pasadena Town Hall this year.

But, more importantly, you won't get to see the other new "twist" this year: people "Singing For Their Life" - or whatever they're calling it - if they are given a "No" by the judges.

;D

*Like any last minute singing-plea is truly going to change the mind of the judges and producers.  ::)

I saw on the preview that they showed the "singing for your life" concept. Is that only this round?

I think that there are some contestants that certain judges my not like (but the others may like them). So all you have to do is do great at your sing-off and hope that the judge who disliked you changes their mind.

Really though since the top 36 have already been announced it won't really be that riveting. Although like i said i decided not to really study the list. So there is only one person i know who is in for sure. although there are a few i would be stunned if they didn't get in.

One person i was surprised that we did not get to see at all was jason castro's brother. They made such a big deal about him in the auditions. And he obviously made it to top 70. But i don't recall seeing him at all during hollywood week.

And what ever happened to that girl they showed on The View. She was a blonde jazz singer. They loved her during auditions. But i don't recall seeing her these past 2 weeks. I don't even know if she is still around.

DAW

« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:51 AM »

Thanks, Laura DR!!!

DR vixmom, you may want to amend your post above to eliminate the quote of Laura's post.  Otherwise, even when she deletes her original post, the link will still be here for all to see.

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2009, 09:56:49 AM »

I have never heard of 33 Variations, I look forward to hearing DR Ben's theatre report tomorrow!!

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: February 11, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »

Thanks, Laura DR!!!

DR vixmom, you may want to amend your post above to eliminate the quote of Laura's post.  Otherwise, even when she deletes her original post, the link will still be here for all to see.

OH! Thanks! Will do

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2009, 09:59:55 AM »

and DONE! Godd catch DAW, thanks!

Ben

« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2009, 10:01:40 AM »

I have never heard of 33 Variations, I look forward to hearing DR Ben's theatre report tomorrow!!

It's a new play by Moises Kaufmann, the man who wrote The Laramie Project and Gross Indecencies (the play about the trial of Oscar Wilde). It's about a musicologist (played by Jane Fonda) who is researching Beethoven.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »

ASK BK

What is your favorite musical, play, film,  that got trashed by the critics and bombed at the box office and add tv show to the list

That's a hard one - Seconds pretty much got trashed by the critics (who now proclaim it a masterpiece - they forget so quickly) and the same with The Swimmer and Marnie - all three of which I love.  Play-wise is more difficult as most plays I've seen were hits or not trashed by the critics.  Have to think on that one.  Musical - Not sure if it was trashed, but it did bomb at the box-office - The Happy Time, which, for whatever reasons, I really enjoyed.  There are a lot of musicals that were flops and trashed whose scores I love, but I didn't see the shows themselves so shouldn't list them.  TV - don't care for TV - but I liked Roald Dahl's Way Out and another show called Panic, both of which were one or two season wonders that no one cared about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2009, 10:06:04 AM »

Ask BK:

Have you looked into the possibility of releasing CDs of music from poverty row films of the 40s? Since most, if not all are now in public domain you might not have any trouble with rights, perhaps.

a) it would have to be a composer that sells

and, more importantly b) there would have to be tapes or acetates available and there usually aren't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2009, 10:09:03 AM »

I slept till nine-thirty and have been catching up and must do the long jog in about thirty minutes.  Just got the new CD booklet to proof and will be doing that today.  Plus I'm told the half of the CD that I haven't heard will be available today so I'll be listening to that online.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »

I was having such a good time visiting and catching up with David Chase that I forgot I need to go to the bank! Lunch was great; David had eggs and I had a BLT and a loverly salad. I got lots of gossip on BILLY ELLIOT, which he's conducting, and I have to pick a date and get his house seats.

So . . . I guess I'm off to the bank.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up