Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DEEP SENTENCES  (Read 26661 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:DEEP SENTENCES
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2004, 12:00:06 PM »

Oh, I forgot to mention my favorite martini addition...

Olives stuffed with Bleu Cheese

It's kind of nice finishing off with a bit of creaminess after the "bite" of the gin (or vodka, if you prefer) and the olive.

-And that's my mini-frenzy for today... as compared to yesterday's mini-frenzy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 12:02:40 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »

Were THE ORLONS a Mowtown group? I love their songs Wah Wah Watusi and Don't Hang Up.

How about Dee Dee Sharp and her Mashed Potatoe?
The Orlons and Dee Dee were on Cameo label - the label infamous for still not releasing their artists on Cd (Bobby Rydell etc). (I think it is Alan Klein who has the rights). Same with Chubby Checker on the Parkway label
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 01:04:25 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2004, 12:02:35 PM »

Jane, I am also an inveterate wood-knocker.  I keep a wooden pen-case in my car exclusively for that purpose.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2004, 12:02:36 PM »

Re:  Pippin & Motown.  IIRC, Motown was a major, if not the major, investor in the show, hence the cast album on that label.  Also remember they shopped the score to their biggest stars--Jacksons doing "Corner of the Sky" and the Supremes having one of their only post-Diana hits (very minor at that) with "I Guess I'll Miss the Man."  Shades of the golden era, when you could expect a multitude of Columbia artists to record songs from the last OBC on that label.

Yes, Vivian not only accompanied me to the show, she did a fab dual job as Zorba and Hortense (not to mention a cameo as the crow in the second act).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 02:22:02 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2004, 12:09:35 PM »

Well... I guess my mini-frenzy is not over yet....

I just checked on my Mexican Style Pot Roast... It still has a few hours to go, but I wanted to check the "gravy".  WHOA!  It's a bit spicy!  Has quite a kick to it!  I'm sure it will still be good - and I like spicy - but, I think I'll go back to the mild salsa verde next time.

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2004, 12:14:16 PM »

Re:  Pippin & Motown.  IIRC, Motown was a major, if not the major, investor in the show, hence the cast album on that label.  Also remember they shopped the score to their biggest stars--Jacksons doing "Corner of the Sky" and the Supremes having their only post-Diana hit (very minor at that) with "I Guess I'll Miss the Man."  Shades of the golden era, when you could expect a multitude of Columbia artists to record songs from the last OBC on that label.

Yes, Vivian not only accompanied me to the show, she did a fab dual job as Zorba and Hortense (not to mention a cameo as the crow in the second act).

JMK -- I don't know about in Oregon, but The (post-Diana) Supremes had a big hit in most of the country with Stoned Love.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2004, 12:17:51 PM »

After writing that last post, I thought I had better check to see if I was correct.  Yes, Jean Terrell was lead singer on Stoned Love.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2004, 12:19:44 PM »

Jennifer & Ben it must be the cookies, whatever they are, because, like TCB, I did the previous steps you mentioned.  I shall ask Keith when he returns home.  Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2004, 12:22:09 PM »

Jane, I am also an inveterate wood-knocker.  I keep a wooden pen-case in my car exclusively for that purpose.

That is cool.  I will use anything, including fake wood or something brown.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2004, 12:31:12 PM »

DR MBarnum - Do you happen to know if there is such an organization as BA - Bollywood Anonymous?  ;-)

30(!) Hindi soundtracks?!?!

I came pretty close to that!  I got my income tax refund last month and it's almost all gone!  I bought (among others) almost 20 CDs of musical cast recordings!  I also bought the Region 2 DVD of "Chess" in Swedish (with no subtitles)...I've mentioned this before.  And yesterday, I just received the "Goldrich and Heisler Songbook Volume 1" (DR Jason has met one of these two fine songwriters, or maybe both) which includes the song "Taylor, the Latte Boy."  I also bought the individual sheet music (since it's not in the songbook...maybe it'll be in volume 2?) to "The Alto's Lament" that Emily Skinner recorded (on a wonderful CD produced by our very own BK!).  I bought this song as a birthday present for the daughter of a friend of mine.  So that's where all my money went.  Oh, and the $100 (at Costco) for the bottle of 1995 Dom Perignon for my parents' 40th wedding anniversary in June.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2004, 12:46:21 PM »

OOOHHH!!!

And I cannot wait until next Monday's American Idol Special - The Loser's Special!  "Uncut, Uncensored, Untalented"!

Hey?!?!? - Just check the AI website, no mention of it.  Just checked Fox's website, no mention.  Hmm.  ???? I could have sworn I saw the promos last night.

Was I just dreaming?!?!?  Something else to blame on the lack of white sugar?!?!?  Maybe it's two weeks from now?!?!?

I didn't see it mentioned (and have not heard about it). Although I was watching American Idol on the Canadian station. But I think they would have had Ryan mention it last night?!?  

I don't think they would do this until the 4 groups have performed (if they are doing it).

Tomovoz

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2004, 12:47:16 PM »

JMK: Did Portland miss out on "Up the Ladder to the Roof:, "Stoned  Love", "Nathan Jones" & "Floy Joy"?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2004, 12:51:05 PM »

Wow DR Jane: That dream sounds frightening.

Sorry the Ben & Jen log-in trick didn't work this time. For some reason it works for me every time (although maybe your problem and DR TCB's are different).

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2004, 12:52:15 PM »

MBarnum: Bollywood rocks. What fun and far more interesting and varied than "Bombay Dreams". Did they just rip off anything from any where. Was I listening to "I Want To hold Hour Hand"? So much sounds so familiar.  Thought there were touches of Surf Music and even Merry Melodies there. A Delight.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2004, 12:54:49 PM »

I have never been in Panni's shoes.  They're much to small for my feet.

And the good news is: The galley is approved and I should have test books in a week or two.  I'll start taking preorders next week.  Stay tuned.

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2004, 12:55:24 PM »

DR Jennifer - My favorite local supermarket has quite a nice selection of low-carb foods - Atkins and otherwise.  I do like some of the "treats", but I also try not to eat them too often...

First and foremost, even though it's not real sugar, it still tastes like sugar to me.  Consequently, sometimes when I eat some of those sugar-free/low-carb snacks, I end up craving more sweets... preferably, the real stuff!  Good ole white sugar - or corn syrup - depending upon product.  So...  *However, I really do like those low carb ice creams out there...

Finally - A few years back, I started trying to eat more real food.  Nothing processed.  Nothing manufactured in a laboratory.

I find the atkins bars help me a lot to not eat a lot of sweets.

I mostly eat non-processed foods. Almost everything I eat (except for the atkins stuff) is non-processed.

Um, I need info about low carb ice cream. How low carb is it? And where does one get it? And what are the brand names? I've never heard of this. And that is definitely one thing I crave.

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2004, 12:56:07 PM »

JRand: My favourite: "The Exodus Of Pepe From The Misfit Summer Place". It took me over 40 years to find a copy.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2004, 01:06:37 PM »

Wow DR Jane: That dream sounds frightening.

LOL, an understatment.  That was twenty years ago and it is still vivid.  Unfortunately I have way too many dreams that are strange and frightning.  It is why I wake up some mornings exhausted.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2004, 01:10:04 PM »

LOL....DRTomOVOz I had never heard that song before....it is hilarious!  The Paul Peterson and Johnny Crawford and James Darren cuts I hadn't heard either.  And I also love Polly Bergen....never heard her sing in Italian before....she ROCKS!

And yes DRJOSE - the A/C disks are a BARGAIN.  I ordered from Amazon for only $21 or so....and so they must be even less at Target or WalMart!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #109 on: February 19, 2004, 01:21:17 PM »

speaking of poutine, DR Jennifer, my parents went out to dinner at Au Pied du Cochon last night and came back telling a story that is just too incredible...

POUTINE MADE WITH FOIE GRAS, GOAT CHEESE AND THYME INFUSED JUS

Yes... you heard me.  The lowly poutine is going upscale (and it only costs $17)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 01:21:52 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: February 19, 2004, 01:37:44 PM »

JRand: My favourite: "The Exodus Of Pepe From The Misfit Summer Place". It took me over 40 years to find a copy.

It only took me a couple of weeks to get myself a copy -- after I finally heard of it.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2004, 01:44:35 PM »

OOOHHH!!!

And I cannot wait until next Monday's American Idol Special - The Loser's Special!  "Uncut, Uncensored, Untalented"!

Hey?!?!? - Just check the AI website, no mention of it.  Just checked Fox's website, no mention.  Hmm.  ???? I could have sworn I saw the promos last night.

Was I just dreaming?!?!?  Something else to blame on the lack of white sugar?!?!?  Maybe it's two weeks from now?!?!?

Yes, Jose, it's two weeks from now, March 1st.

Also, those bleu cheese-stuffed olives sound rather intriguing for martini garnish.  I'm usually not an olive fan, but those may change my mind!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2004, 01:45:49 PM »

But the cost TCB. The Cost. And you have not stopped paying yet.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2004, 01:46:39 PM »

As for Motown, I'm with Jane in that I prefer the male acts to the females.  Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson top my list, with "Sir Duke" being my top song.

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2004, 01:49:24 PM »

JRand - do you live in the back of the Greta Garbo home for Wayward Boys and Girls?
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2004, 01:54:22 PM »

And the good news is: The galley is approved and I should have test books in a week or two.  I'll start taking preorders next week.  Stay tuned.

Will do.  :) :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2004, 02:11:34 PM »

As for Motown, I'm with Jane in that I prefer the male acts to the females.  Stevie Wonder and Smokey Robinson top my list, with "Sir Duke" being my top song.

So, Jed prefers the male acts!  Hmmm.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »

I have never been in Panni's shoes.  They're much to small for my feet.

The test books.  Is that what you call them?  You mentioned last week, BK, that once you were done with the galley, you wouldn't see the book again until you received a hard bound copy.  I meant to ask you on Ask BK Day what they called those copies, and were they considered part of the first edition of a book.  Also, are those the copies that you keep for your own library?
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #118 on: February 19, 2004, 02:17:05 PM »

ROTFLMAO, TCB! :D

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2004, 02:25:21 PM »

Is Guy Haines releasing a new CD and using that free "giveaway" book deal as a promotion again? Has he no shame?
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up