Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: HOOKED ON A DANISH  (Read 18036 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: HOOKED ON A DANISH
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »

Watching that video on CNN of the 3 year old being patted down in 2010, which people are saying was uncalled for.  It seems the security person is going out of his way to be considerate, and I'm puzzled why people are seeing this as an example of what's wrong with security.

Here's the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNO-AzPxS4U

just looks like someone doing his job, and rather gently.

I would think that if I was a terrorist trying to sneak a bomb aboard a plane, that a darling little boy in a wheelchair would be the perfect place to hide it.

I read, before seeing this, that changes are being made to make it easier for children & elderly people.  What the changes are I don't know.  Next time I fly maybe I won't be lined up with all the old people for a body check.  The body check I don't doubt will happen since I doubt I qualify. 

Jane

« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2012, 03:41:02 PM »

It was cold and windy this morning.  I was tempted to be envious of the heat in other parts of the world, then I remembered we need the rain & snow at this time of year to help prevent summer forest fires.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »

His father died of TB in a sanitarium in North Carolina.  He had gone there for very expensive treatments, and once his money was gone, they sent him home.

When he was about eight years old, my father contracted polio.  He had several operations on his legs and used a wheelchair for awhile and then walked on crutches.  He has always walked with a limp.

A reminder of how fortunate we are to live in these times:

Polio is virtually gone

TB is fairly rare and treatable on an out-patient basis

der Brucer

Ever since high-school I have tested positive for TB - lucky I haven't gotten cancer from all the damn XRays I've had to convince Drs I have no active TB.

I've never known anyone who tested positive without having TB.  My nephew had it when he was in law school.  By the time it was diagnosed it too a good while to get rid of it.  At least there were drugs that worked.  My father's oldest sister died of it.

I test positive for hepatitis, even though I have never had it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »

If I should go to NY what plays do you suggest I see?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »

My father also came from a huge family--we didn't even know about some of the kids, many of whom died in infancy, until my sister found birth certificates in England and then later we got the foster home records from New York.  I may still have an Aunt somewhere out there we haven't been able to find (Keith--get on that, would you?)  :)

Are you talking about Sylvia or Catherine?

The baby that was given up for adoption.  Sylvia I knew about, and Kathie actually remembers her.

Was Catherine, born 6/19/22, the name of the baby?

I don't know what anyone is talking about.  I feel like Mikey.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2012, 03:46:48 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR Rodzinski!!!

How is your mom doing, Dan?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:49 PM »

There's a holdup in the Bronx
Brooklyn's broken out in fights

There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights.....

All broadcast television is Indianapolis has been interrupted....world shaking emergency.....YES....

John Elway is introducing Peyton Manning in Denver.

There's a Scout troop short a child,
Khrushchev's due at Idelwyld
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »

An Air Supply musical with a Downton Abbey feel. Why does that just not sound right?

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Constantine-Maroulis-to-Lead-LOST-IN-LOVE-Reading-in-April-20120320#

There is going to be a revival of JEKYLL & HYDE so soon?
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »

Today is my father's 86th birthday.  Here is a picture of him with his guitar taken a few years ago - I combined it with a picture of his mother and all his brothers and sisters.....he is the baby in his mother's arms.  This picture was about 1928.

His father died of TB in a sanitarium in North Carolina.  He had gone there for very expensive treatments, and once his money was gone, they sent him home.  He owned the general store and lumber mill in Liberty, Kentucky....and was also the local school teacher. 

My grandmother sold both businesses but never received her money from the men who took it from her.  She moved to Indiana where her brother and sister had families in the early 1930's.

When he was about eight years old, my father contracted polio.  He had several operations on his legs and used a wheelchair for awhile and then walked on crutches.  He has always walked with a limp.

He and my mother will be married 64 years this September.   ;D

What a fantastic picture....and my gosh, his parents went through the ringer, didn't they.

And 64 years...wow, even the total of my mom's three marriages (beginning in 1948) don't equal that.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

For over a year I have been looking forward to going to Bernese Mountain Specialty in Gettysburg.  I just canceled my reservation.  I'm not sure if I'll still be charged for the 2 nights I booked.

Now I have to tell all the people I had planned to hang out with I won't be there. :(

Why aren't you going, Jane?
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »

An Air Supply musical with a Downton Abbey feel. Why does that just not sound right?

http://broadwayworld.com/article/Constantine-Maroulis-to-Lead-LOST-IN-LOVE-Reading-in-April-20120320#

Well, 6th place American Idol finishers to work somewhere.

der Brucer
I would rather they worked at the concession stand.

LOL!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »

Watching that video on CNN of the 3 year old being patted down in 2010, which people are saying was uncalled for.  It seems the security person is going out of his way to be considerate, and I'm puzzled why people are seeing this as an example of what's wrong with security.

Here's the video

I would think that if I was a terrorist trying to sneak a bomb aboard a plane, that a darling little boy in a wheelchair would be the perfect place to hide it.

I read, before seeing this, that changes are being made to make it easier for children & elderly people.  What the changes are I don't know.  Next time I fly maybe I won't be lined up with all the old people for a body check.  The body check I don't doubt will happen since I doubt I qualify. 

The elderly applies to anyone 75 or older.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2012, 04:08:47 PM »

TOD - Muffins, Danish, and pastries (Oh, my) were removed from my diet on August 3, 2010.  I love almond-y bear claws and, in the fall, I have to have just one pumpkin spice doughnut.  One of my all time favorite pastries is the fried Danish from Central Pastry here in Middletown:

Yuck!  They look like small intestines.

That is what I thought, also...but I figured I had just been watching too many episodes of THE WALKING DEAD.

Jane

« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »

For over a year I have been looking forward to going to Bernese Mountain Specialty in Gettysburg.  I just canceled my reservation.  I'm not sure if I'll still be charged for the 2 nights I booked.

Now I have to tell all the people I had planned to hang out with I won't be there. :(

I can't make two trips close to each other & Bryan has decided to go to his graduation from medical school.  The kid comes first. :)

Jane

« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »

Here's the video

Are you hinting I'm elderly ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2012, 04:11:34 PM »

BK, I am intrigued by both the Danish and US versions of THE KILLING that you mention in today's notes. I might have to check one or the other out, one of these days.

MBarnum

« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »

I have taken the week off for a "staycation" and am happy to report that I am getting lots of stuff done around the apartment. Whew.

Lots more to do, however.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2012, 04:13:47 PM »

Every child that is adopted in Washington State receives a new birth certificate.  It isn't done to try and fool anyone, but rather to proctect the child's legal rights.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »

I can't make two trips close to each other & Bryan has decided to go to his graduation from medical school.  The kid comes first. :)

When is graduation?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »

Here's the video

No, I just wanted you to know that you would not be getting any breaks at the airports anytime soon.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:56 PM »

I am trying not to spend too much time in front of the television while I am home this week (otherwise I will get nothing done), but I did take time today to watch a rather obscure movie that arrived from Amazon.com yesterday.

The film is THE SCAVENGERS. It is one of those made-in-the-Philippines-but-starring-American-actors movies. It looks to have been filmed around 1959 but not released in the US until around 1963. Stars Vince Edwards and Carol Ohmart.

As much as Vince Edwards was a very unpleasant person (according to many of my interviewees), I do enjoy looking at him.

Jane

« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2012, 04:22:39 PM »

When is graduation?

On our anniversary, June 1st.

Jane

« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »

Here's the video

No, I just wanted you to know that you would not be getting any breaks at the airports anytime soon.

LOL.  I know.  It will be easier once I don't have to carry my injection pen with me.

Jane

« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

DR MBarnum I'm glad you are enjoying your staycation & have extra time to post while still getting lots of work done.

Jane

« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

Every child that is adopted in Washington State receives a new birth certificate.  It isn't done to try and fool anyone, but rather to proctect the child's legal rights.

My niece, who was born in California, would like to see her original birth certificate.

Ginny

« Reply #175 on: March 20, 2012, 04:51:56 PM »

TOD - Muffins, Danish, and pastries (Oh, my) were removed from my diet on August 3, 2010.  I love almond-y bear claws and, in the fall, I have to have just one pumpkin spice doughnut.  One of my all time favorite pastries is the fried Danish from Central Pastry here in Middletown:

Yuck!  They look like small intestines.

LOL!  Thanks, DR TCB, I'll remember that whenever I'm tempted to stop there for one!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:58 PM »

DAILY WEB WISDOM

Tech Tip Of The Day

The new iPad is not compatible with concrete.

der Brucer

Oh, dear, that doesn't sound good, DR der Brucer...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

Oh my, how did I miss this bit of news-not good DR derBrucer.

Danise

« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2012, 05:07:32 PM »

Evening all!  Just wanted to drop by for moment.  I hope that Dan (TM) Mom is ok and wanted to send vibes, prayers, chants and all manner of good wishes to those who need them.
DR Elmore, I hope you are doing much better!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »

Today is my father's 86th birthday.  Here is a picture of him with his guitar taken a few years ago - I combined it with a picture of his mother and all his brothers and sisters.....he is the baby in his mother's arms.  This picture was about 1928.

His father died of TB in a sanitarium in North Carolina.  He had gone there for very expensive treatments, and once his money was gone, they sent him home.  He owned the general store and lumber mill in Liberty, Kentucky....and was also the local school teacher. 

My grandmother sold both businesses but never received her money from the men who took it from her.  She moved to Indiana where her brother and sister had families in the early 1930's.

He and my mother will be married 64 years this September.   ;D
Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to DR JRands Father!!!!  Lovely photo.  I wish I had some of my family.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up