Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 29210 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »

I am currently eating some fried chicken gizzards.

I've always been a chicken livers man myself.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 01:05:10 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2006, 01:09:22 PM »

Now you've got me thinking about Mom's chopped liver from yesterday's TOD.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2006, 01:13:38 PM »

I just got back to work from walking down to the bank...with the wonderful weather it reminded me of the day I walked from Battery Park to Elmores home environment...the day was so beautiful and I was having such a blast!

I miss NY (and the NYorkers)

FJL

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2006, 01:14:06 PM »

Vixmom - As to your sore throat, is it possible you've mixed allergy medication with alcohol lately?

:)  Just kidding.

FJL

« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2006, 01:17:31 PM »

M*E*S*H - that's the name of the new sitcom about doctors wearing the mesh outfits Jose decribed.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »

Here is the current view in my living room

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »

...And does anyone - men - look good in those over-sized, over-long mesh basketball/athletic shorts?

Funny thing is I can remember when male basketball players from school to the pros wore the tiniest, skimpiest shorts of any sport - very much short shorts. The overlong shorts they wear now look so odd to someone from my era who can remember the short lengths.

Things do tend to run in cycles, so I suspect they're eventually go back to be short at some future date.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2006, 01:21:54 PM »

Had a nice (albeit brief) lunch, and then came home to finish CALAMITY JANE. The rest of the DVD did look quite beautiful with a sharp picture and good color. One of Doris' all-time best.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2006, 01:25:46 PM »

I had expected to watch the remake of SHAFT this afternoon, but in the mail today was the latest Hercule Poirot DVD set featuring David Suchet. These four mysteries were made specifically for A&E, and I had only managed to catch one of them on TV - CARDS ON THE TABLE. Since I had seen it, I selected another from the set to watch this afternoon:

THE MYSTERY OF THE BLUE TRAIN. The book was kind of confusing and has generally been thought to be one of Dame Agatha's worst mysteries, but the filmed version worked just fine for me. I didn't remember who the murderer was, so I simply sat back and enjoyed trying to piece the clues together before Poirot solved it. I was wrong, and the show ended up as a great delight.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »

LESS THAN PERFECT has a new episode tonight at 9:30, so I'll watch SHAFT later today and should be able to finish it before the ABC sitcom begins.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2006, 01:27:52 PM »

Things do tend to run in cycles, so I suspect they're eventually go back to be short at some future date.

One can only hope. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2006, 01:32:42 PM »

I am off to work, toodles!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »

I am back from a lovely afternoon with DR Jose.  He met me at Target where we shopped for summer clothing and other assorted goodies.

Shopping quandry for the day:  Why is it that all women's shorts come in either "hoochie" or "mom" styles- can there be no happy medium??

"Momoochie"?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2006, 01:33:47 PM »

Vixmom - As to your sore throat, is it possible you've mixed allergy medication with alcohol lately?

:)  Just kidding.

THAT"S IT!!!!!

;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2006, 01:34:20 PM »

I am off to work, toodles!

Have a nice time, and stop calling me Toodles!

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2006, 01:37:13 PM »

I know some of you watch (however grudgingly) NBC soaps, and here's an article from today's VARIETY that might interest you:

<The behind-the-scenes drama at NBC's two daytime sudsers is getting almost as good as the onscreen action.
Peacock isn't commenting, but "Days of Our Lives" head writer Jim Reilly could soon be leaving the show, according to two people familiar with the situation.

While sudser scribes regularly come and go, Reilly is one of the medium's deans, having brought the Corday Prods./Sony Pictures TV-produced "Days" back from the ratings doldrums on more than one occasion with out-there storylines (even by daytime standards).

Reilly's most recent stint in the sudser's fictional Salem began in the summer of 2003. Within a few months, he quickly helped lift the show to first in women 18-49 with a serial killer storyline -- all while doing double duty as head writer on NBC's other soap, "Passions."

So why might Reilly be leaving now? NBC execs aren't talking, but the potential shift comes amid buzz that former "As the World Turns" head scribe Hogan Sheffer -- a multiple Daytime Emmy winner who's recently started developing for primetime -- has been approached about taking over the same gig on "Days."

Even if Reilly leaves "Days," he still appears to have a job on "Passions." NBC on Friday said it was renewing the sudser for another year and that Reilly would continue as head writer and consulting producer.

Not everyone on "Passions" is so lucky, however. At the same time NBC renewed the show, it implemented a round of budget cuts, with about 20 staffers expected to lose their jobs.

Long-term, the future of both "Days" and "Passions" is somewhat cloudy. Daytime ratings at all the nets have been on a downward spin for a decade, while production costs for many shows remain higher than nets would like.

And though NBC negotiated a lower license fee for "Days" a few years ago, the show's pricetag -- and the fact that NBC has no ownership stake in it -- has led to industry speculation about whether it makes sense for the Peacock to continue "Days" without another license-fee cut. Some analysts even believe NBC -- or another net, most likely CBS -- may consider experimenting with the cheaper telenovela format in daytime.

Carat USA's Shari Anne Brill says nets have no choice but to consider change in daytime.

"It's not as profitable as it used to be," she said. "Women increasingly have jobs and work outside the home. The daytime audience is consistently getting older or younger and more downscale.">

FJL

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »

I guess it's been mentioned as a rumor, but now it's official that Rebecca Luker will be playing Mrs. Banks in MARY POPPINS starting this fall!!!  

vixmom

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2006, 01:44:21 PM »

I guess it's been mentioned as a rumor, but now it's official that Rebecca Luker will be playing Mrs. Banks in MARY POPPINS starting this fall!!!

Have you bought your tickets yet?  

FJL

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2006, 01:47:02 PM »

Yeah, Visa was offering a pre-sale for MARY POPPINS through Ticketmaster.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2006, 01:58:04 PM »

My supervisor's name is George Banks. ;D Just had to share.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2006, 01:59:08 PM »

Monday Tuesday greetings!  These Monday holidays always mix me up!

Today I took my mother to the two places necessary to order her passport, to Big Lots (her choice, not mine), Hallmark, the garden center, the deli/cafe (where she bought my lunch and I bought chopped sirloins for dinner).  It's hot and muggy here, more like August than late May, so I came home and slept for a while.

TOD -

High school, DS Rob's senior year his school did Fiddler on the Roof and his friend's school did Music Man.  I wasn't expecting much from either and was pleasantly surprised.  My quarrel with many HS productions is that the singing and dancing are OK, but the acting is abyssmal.

College, University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music's
Sweeney Todd in 1984.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2006, 02:03:24 PM »

Vixmom I hope you aren’t sick & I bet you would have made a great teacher.

TPunk I know what you mean about shorts.  It is sooooo frustrating! You have a beautiful view in your apartment.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 02:07:16 PM by Jane »

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »

I miss NY (and the NYorkers)

I do, too, DR MBarnum!  When I'm walking from my parking place to the Kettering Tower in downtown Dayton, I play a mind game that 2nd St. is really W. 81st, the building to my left is really the American Museum of Natural History (not Dayton Metro Library), and the townhouses on my right are brownstones.  If I keep my head down, sometimes it works!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2006, 02:06:01 PM »

Shopping quandry for the day:  Why is it that all women's shorts come in either "hoochie" or "mom" styles- can there be no happy medium??

Two suggestions, DR TPunk:  Land's End and your sewing machine!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

I'm back from a few errands.  Stopped by Mr. Grant Geissman's and heard the rough version of what we're working on for the Music Center - it sounded good, and now he's got to flesh it out.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »

Off now to do some housework and then settle in with more DVDs for the evening.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2006, 02:11:31 PM »

Thunderstorms rolling in - bye for now!

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »

I am currently eating some fried chicken gizzards.

I had those last Thursday at the Gingham Inn

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2006, 02:27:00 PM »

I've been a little negligent when it comes to the bath department (doggie's, not mine) -- and Abie hasn't had a bath in months. Today all that changed and he is positively glowing! Shield your eyes, here he comes...

Cillaliz

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2006, 02:30:04 PM »

Here is the current view in my living room

Ahhh, what great cats!  I held a couple little black kittens at the shelter today.  I didn't fall in love with any of the kittens, and Callie seems a little depressed today, so I think it's too soon. But it's still fun to look.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up