Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 29036 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2006, 08:54:02 AM »

The Mr. Lincoln rose:
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2006, 08:55:34 AM »

I like wine and vodka.

You GO, girl!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »

In high school, I was overwhelmed by the Senior Class production of "The Diary of Anne Frank" (I was but a junior at the time).

My senior class production, in which I played a townsperson with a line here and a movement there, was "Our Town", which I truly "felt" was good.

On the other hand...who knows.

I was privileged to see the Forrest Sherman High School productions of "Oklahoma!" and "Anything Goes" in 1976 and 1977.  I was the editor of the Naval Air Station, Naples, Italy, weekly paper "Panorama", and I did publicity for the shows.  Many folks involved in the Naples Little Theater (really fun, talented folks) were also involved, technically, in the high school productions, so they were really fine-tuned.  Of course, best-available talent seldom yields ideal vocals or natural acting, but they did their best and pulled it off.

I saw a "church" production a few years ago in South Carolina.  A country church in Edgefield County...way out in the boonies.

There were two -- count 'em -- TWO young men involved (older than the rest) who had some idea of line delivery and stage presence.  The rest of the cast would group themselves on either side of the stage by gender...all the girls would line up on the left, and the boys on the right, and monotonically recite the lines they learned.

Dreadful...and I had to like it 'cause I had a cousin in it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:01:53 AM by Ron Pulliam »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2006, 09:01:10 AM »

Flip-Flop

In just a few hours, our household will increase once again to include six dogs.  Their names are Marty, Mikey, Bonnie and Buster, Fletcher, and Angie.

Yep, Angie is coming back.

We were already scheduling much of today to take Angie to the vet to be fixed.  (An odd word to use, when we're talking about making sure something doesn't work, but never mind.)  

Sunday, der B received a phone call.  The woman who had adopeted Angie had decided it wasn't a good match, that Angie wasn't getting enough exercise, and could we take her back?  It turned out that the woman's daughter was the one voicing the objections, mainly that Angie is too big a dog.  

Monday, the woman called again.  She had changed her mind.  Angie was getting enough exercise, and the real problem was that she barks at the trucks that drive by the house.

Today, we drove over to pick up Angie.  The woman sadly had to ask us to keep her, as her daughter had voiced more objections, saying that Angie kept knocking down the youngest child in the family (aged two).  The woman was clearly sad that things hadn't worked out, but it was easier to give up the dog than give up her daughter.

So we took Angie to the vet, with Fletcher, Bonnie and Buster in the car with us.  They were along to get booster shots, and were quite happy to see her again.  When we pick Angie up later this afternoon, we'll be taking Marty and Mikey along for their shots as well.

And that is how we once again have six dogs living with us.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 09:03:00 AM »

I like wine and vodka.
In the same glass?   :o
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »

Flip-Flop

Today, we drove over to pick up Angie.  The woman sadly had to ask us to keep her, as her daughter had voiced more objections, saying that Angie kept knocking down the youngest child in the family (aged two).  The woman was clearly sad that things hadn't worked out, but it was easier to give up the dog than give up her daughter.

Sounds to me like she'd PREFER to be giving up her daughter.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2006, 09:03:43 AM »

No, I don't think so.  The character he was cast as was NOT on his audition sheet, but he is TOO young to play the lead (he is 19).

The other two will be fine....and our second choice for his role is actually probably a better choice.  The young man is a high school senior and will be playing a flamboyant GAY character, and I just hesitated to put him onstage in that role for all his peers to comment on.  But he will be fine, and I am guessing he may steal the show.  8)

What is the show? (If you mentioned it I missed it, sorry)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2006, 09:04:08 AM »

Wow, six dogs! And Rodzinski won't even let me get a third cat!! :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2006, 09:04:25 AM »

Tonight is Picture Night/Full Dress/Family Night for THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  It is going to be all right, although the set changes take a LONG time....and all of the costumes haven't arrived.  Surely they will be there today.

I am a little weary of seeing the Mother Abbess singing Climb Ev'ry Mountain in Daisy Dukes.

Ya know, I was going to suggest when DR Vixmom posted the bizarre hairstyles that you revision your SOM in a decadent CABARET sort of mode.  The Von Trapp kids could all be euro-trashy, with sun glasses and goth hair-dos.  The abbey can become a brothel.  And the captain--he has those children trained, alright--with a whistle...and a whip.  Throw in some nazis (in very tight pants) and there you have a SOM that people will talk about for ages.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2006, 09:04:47 AM »

In the same glass?   :o

Well not at the start of the evening...

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2006, 09:07:42 AM »

I am listening to a most wonderful CD compilation of songs that were popular as pop instrumentals in the 50s and 60s...but, on this CD they are done with the lyrics by various popular singers of the 50s and 60s...Joannie Summers just sang A SUMMER PLACE....my favorite so far was Margie Singleton singing TELSTAR!

vixmom

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2006, 09:09:17 AM »

Ya know, I was going to suggest when DR Vixmom posted the bizarre hairstyles that you revision your SOM in a decadent CABARET sort of mode.  The Von Trapp kids could all be euro-trashy, with sun glasses and goth hair-dos.  The abbey can become a brothel.  And the captain--he has those children trained, alright--with a whistle...and a whip.  Throw in some nazis (in very tight pants) and there you have a SOM that people will talk about for ages.

;D   I would fly out to see THAT production!!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2006, 09:09:23 AM »

So far today I have gone to the gym, locked myself out of the apartment, and gotten back in again courtesy of our kind superintendent.  Soon I will head over to Targhetto (which is what one of my former co-workers called the Target in the Bronx as the store is always a huge mess with long lines and no carts) and then tonight I will be working at GMHC, observing and critiquing new test counselor volunteers.

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »

It is a beautiful sunny day  and I am trapped at my desk... I want to go to Central Park with DR Jose!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2006, 09:11:55 AM »

OH!

DR MBarnum - Yes, I will be going to The Tonys this year.  We - the Lestat company were offered specially-priced, theatre-community tickets, so...  I'll either be somewhere on the sides in the orchestra or in the front mezzanine - I'll get my actual ticket in another week or so.  Of course, I was hoping that we would be performing on The Tonys this year, but at least I still get to go.  -And with the host-less format this year and 60 different presenters, it should be quite the star-studded evening.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2006, 09:13:16 AM »

So far today I have gone to the gym, locked myself out of the apartment, and gotten back in again courtesy of our kind superintendent.  Soon I will head over to Targhetto (which is what one of my former co-workers called the Target in the Bronx as the store is always a huge mess with long lines and no carts) and then tonight I will be working at GMHC, observing and critiquing new test counselor volunteers.

When are you going to Targhetto?  I could come by and pick you up.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »

As for high school productions...

I don't think I've seen a high school production of a show since I was in high school.  Oh!  I did see a production of Joseph... in Richmond - a friend of mine was the director.  I'm guessing it was good.  However, the one funny thing I remember was that all the guys in the show had six-pack abs... courtesy of some creative make-up.  ;)

Otherwise...  The Washington Post holds their "Cappies" awards for high school theatre productions each year, and they have a reviews of high school published weekly.  -And they're written by other high school-age writers.  It's a very "cool" program.  Some of the production stills that I've seen in the paper have looked very "professional".  The high school circuit in the DC area is very competitive, and I'm constantly amazed at some of the shows that are being presented: Evita, Sweeney Todd, Falsettos...  -And since the high school band programs in the DC area are also rather competitive, a lot of these shows have very good pits too.

www.cappies.com

The Cappies have very strange categories:  "Creativity", "Cameo Actor and Actress", "Comic Actor and Actress"--each in play and musical categories.  There are also separate awards for male and female vocalist and dancers.  All this in addition to standard awards for Best and Supporting actors and actresses in plays and in musicals.  The awards ceremonies must be longer than the Oscars.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2006, 09:15:17 AM »

Wow, six dogs! And Rodzinski won't even let me get a third cat!! :)
You live in NYC.  If you get another cat, you'll have to move all the furniture out of your apartment just to get to the bathroom.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2006, 09:19:13 AM »

What a story, DRMATTH - everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at your rear end!

Believe me, at the time, it felt as if they were!   ::)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »

I am going to lunch today with best friend John, so that will be a nice outing. Looking forward to it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2006, 09:21:48 AM »

The Cappies have very strange categories:  "Creativity", "Cameo Actor and Actress", "Comic Actor and Actress"--each in play and musical categories.  There are also separate awards for male and female vocalist and dancers.  All this in addition to standard awards for Best and Supporting actors and actresses in plays and in musicals.  The awards ceremonies must be longer than the Oscars.

Just about...  The DC area ones are usually held at the Kennedy Center.  Usually quite the scene - basically another "excuse" for the young women to wear their prom dresses again, and the young men to "try" to dress up.  I've never been to the ceremonies, but I've been in the building while they've been held, and there's always lots of cheering whenever the winners are announced - you can hear it out in the Grand Foyer
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2006, 09:25:58 AM »

Just about...  The DC area ones are usually held at the Kennedy Center.  Usually quite the scene - basically another "excuse" for the young women to wear their prom dresses again, and the young men to "try" to dress up.  I've never been to the ceremonies, but I've been in the building while they've been held, and there's always lots of cheering whenever the winners are announced - you can hear it out in the Grand Foyer

THe Freddie Awards were just about the same--like The American Music Awards except the boys and girls are screaming over "Be Our Guest".  And some of the kids who performed stayed in costume and make-up all evening.  It was kind of sweet, in a way.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2006, 09:49:09 AM »

DR Cillaliz, I am very sorry to hear about Nilla.  As many others have said, it was very obvious how much he was loved and cared for.  

Thanks DTM.   I have spent the morning running the vacuum, cleaning the furniture and am getting ready to start the laundry. I'll wash all his favorite blankets etc.  Callie seems to be enjoying being the queen bee, but is somewhat lonely.  Think I'll make my first visit to the Humane Society this afternoon....not sure I'll bring home a kitten yet, but it doesn't hurt to start looking  ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2006, 09:54:06 AM »

DR George reported a while back that THE DROWSY CHAPERONE was also being released on vinyl LPs.  If the LP contains the same tracks as the CD, I might pick that one up.

I'd read that the vinyl album includes all of the songs but not the dialogue from Man in Chair, so that it seems like a real cast album of a 1920s musical (if such a thing had really existed ;)).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2006, 09:56:54 AM »

I also have to say that Mrs. Tollefson's 1st grade class's production of HICKORY DICKERY DOCK at Griffin Creek Elementary School in 1970 was quite well received...of course I might be prejudiced as I was the star.

You played the mouse?

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2006, 09:58:13 AM »

I like wine and vodka.

Mixed together???? ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUCCULENT!

My true feelings of that period following Ash Wednesday.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2006, 10:20:23 AM »

Tomovoz  

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

They are pronounced exactly the same way.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2006, 10:26:16 AM »

Very slow getting on here.  Just jogged - thought I was going to DIE.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2006, 10:29:41 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up