Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN  (Read 29034 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« on: May 30, 2006, 12:07:59 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know that I never promised you a rose garden, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - I DID promise them a rose garden and that's where they are now.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:07:25 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:08:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUCCULENT!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:03:05 AM »

I seem to recall an old country song written by Joe South and recorded in the early 1970s by North Dakota native, Lynn Anderson and then covered by Martina McBride earlier this year...

I beg your pardon,
I never promised you a rose garden.
Along with the sunshine,
There's gotta be a little rain sometimes.
When you take, you gotta give, so live and let live,
Or let go.
I beg your pardon,

I could promise you things like big diamond rings,
But you don't find roses growin' on stalks of clover.
So you better think it over.
Well, if sweet-talkin' you could make it come true,
I would give you the world right now on a silver platter,
But what would it matter?
So smile for a while and let's be jolly:
Love shouldn't be so melancholy.
Come along and share the good times while we can.

I beg your pardon,
Along with the sunshine,

Instrumental break.

I beg your pardon,

I could sing you a tune or promise you the moon,
But if that's what it takes to hold you,
I'd just as soon let you go, but there's one thing I want you to know.
You better look before you leap, still waters run deep,
And there won't always be someone there to pull you out,
And you know what I'm talkin' about.
So smile for a while and let's be jolly:
Love shouldn't be so melancholy.
Come along and share the good times while we can.

I beg your pardon,
Along with the sunshine,

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:11:45 AM »

The Best High School production I have seen was "Bugsy Malone" which was such a lot of fun.  The cast really seemed to enjoy the show and the audience followed along with their enthusiasm.  I'd not seen the stage version (and have not since). I also enjoyed the same School's production of "Li'l Abner".

Last year I was fortunate to see a School production of "Seusical" - a show which I had enjoyed seeing on Broadway. The show was certainly approached differently by the production team.  Once again, the enthusiasm of the very young cast was infectious.

Way back in 1972 I saw a Grade School production of "Joseph" - a year before it's debut in the West End.
I've always felt it should have remained the "property" of children instead of the overblown work it has become.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:28:09 AM »

Good morning, all!  I had a lovely day to myself yesterday, and today I return to Toyland; my colleague Mr Tom Murray may be heading to London to do a production of THE NEXT FIVE YEARS at the theatre where the new SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE began, so we have only one more week together for final edits until he returns in October.

On the homefront, Dylan has met a young co-worker at Barnes & Noble, and I'm hoping she occupies the rest of his summer.  Next Monday night, he and I are going to a party Josh Grisetti is throwing to celebrate his sitcom debut.

DR Maria, I too liked PRIME very much, although a lot of my reasons were nepotistic:  my friend Naomi Aborn plays Meryl Streep's daughter and my dear friend Ryan (nephew of Howard) Shore wrote the lovely score.  I thought the film very funny and it's bittersweet ending quite poignant.

TOD:
  Xenia Ohio high school production of FLOWER DRUM SONG around 1970:  best playing I've ever heard from a student orchestra and a great production.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 04:31:27 AM »

TOTD:

BEst was Red River HS production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Pirates of Penzance... Their production of Fiddler on the Roof was not bad either...

Worst: Thompson HS rendition of Grease... I will spare you the details.... IT WAS BAD!!!  
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 04:50:30 AM »

Good morning and good night from the land of OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 05:11:45 AM »

Matt H, no Loving You was not added to this production.

Jose, I was going to ask about Killer Bunnies and then you answered my question.

Since I didn't know where the stage door was at the KenCen I didn't suggest waiting for the cast, though I know they would have loved to meet CB, especially if I could have dropped your name. We did go to the Four Seasons after the show and had amazing desserts and coffee.

I have not seen many high school productions. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I'll be in and out all day. I'll tell you all about our trip to DC. I won't have any pictures until my friend, Karen, gets back from Russia. She is taking her digital camera with her and she didn't have time to load the DC pictures from the camera to the computer before she left. In fact, she is probably on the plane to Moscow right now!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 05:13:10 AM »

Hello, DR Ben!  Good night, DR Tomovoz!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 05:22:43 AM »

Good night, nurse!

Good morning, DRs Elmore, Ben and Michael Shayne!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 05:26:51 AM »

I have not seen any high school or college producitons since I moved down here. But saw many good and bad shows when I was in Montreal. The majority were college where usually the material they performed whether it was original or previously were produced were quite good and a several were amazing. Some were beyond the talents of the director and the cast like The Cocktail Party where the poetry was spoken like prose and character names were mispronounced.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 05:27:29 AM »

And a good morning to Dan and Larry
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 05:31:52 AM »

Howdy, DRs MichaelS and DanTheMan!

Tra la, off to Toyland!

Ben

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 05:37:02 AM »

And good morning to you all.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 05:45:37 AM »

TOD:

It's funny cuz this very subject came up the other day as I was watching the Freddie Awards with friends (the Freddie Awards is a sort of Tony Awards for New Jersey High School musical productions, though it seems to be limited to North Jersey High Schools.)

I haven't seen a high school production in years and I have to admit that I will have to be dragged by mules to ever see another.  I just can't take that kind of mediocrity anymore.  I've had my fill of football players foghorn their way through "My Time Of Day" and sopranos shrilling "Till There Was You" to shreads.  Yes, I know that some of the kids are really talented and yes, I know the kids really worked hard on this show or that, but I really don't have any desire to sit through another "Six Months Out of Every Year" performed by a chorus of 30 wives and eight husbands.

That being said, I would have to say the best HS production I've ever seen was a HELLO, DOLLY! that was done by Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill, NJ.  I liked it mostly because they rented the original scenery and it was a treat to see that on stage.

BTW, what is the name of the scenery shop on Long Island?  I was there on a field trip once when I was in college and I can't recall the name.  Is it still there?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 05:46:23 AM »

TOD:

A high school production of THE FANTASTICKS was extremely involving.  A great theatergoing memory.

If law school counts, a fine production of TWELVE ANGRY MEN, which admittedly I had produced  :)  , but we had a  fine director and some fine actors, and while watching it, I totally forgot that I even knew the actors.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 05:49:40 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  HEALTH AND TRANQUILITY VIBES FOR DR ELMORE'S DA  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 05:55:13 AM »

DR Cillaliz, I am very sorry to hear about Nilla.  As many others have said, it was very obvious how much he was loved and cared for.  
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 06:49:34 AM »

Tomovoz  

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 06:50:06 AM »

You can't wash your hands in a buffalo

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 06:55:15 AM »

TOD:

I am proabably biased as I was involved in both productions, running lights for one and makeup for the other, but the 1975 Deer Park High School production of the Mikado  and the  July 1976 Suffolk County Community College production of 1776 have to be high on my list.

For a productionin which I was not at all involved in I would say the 2004 Deer Park High School production of  Bye Bye Birdie for sheer talent , energy and enthusiasm by the cast.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 07:13:12 AM »

DR Maria, I too liked PRIME very much, although a lot of my reasons were nepotistic:  my friend Naomi Aborn plays Meryl Streep's daughter and my dear friend Ryan (nephew of Howard) Shore wrote the lovely score.  I thought the film very funny and it's bittersweet ending quite poignant.

Interesting. BTW - I watched the extras and discovered that the young writer/director was very much the main character! (His mother was a therapist, of course.)

TOD: The Fairview High School (Boulder, CO) production of HAIR. Not usually high school fare. And 9/11 happened in the middle of the rehearsal process, adding a whole new layer of meaning to the show. Peter Jennings was doing a series of shows on America that year, travelling all over the country and taking a very ordinary event as the center of each program, in order to explore some aspect of life in America. This particular production at Fairview (DD's high school) was the basis of one of the shows. It was nominated for an Emmy (and may have won - can't remember). Here's a very good article about it from the Denver Post. It also speaks to the discussion we were having a few days ago about the younger generation:
http://www.orlok.com/hair/holding/articles/HairArticles/DeverPost11-16-01.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 07:24:35 AM by Maria »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 07:36:15 AM »

I don't go to high school productions and I can't think of any that I've seen that I'd ever give any kind of rave to. I like my theatre to have a professional quality.  And despite the protestations of some I've known, no high school production can ever maintain a consistent professional level.

Best college productions:  One I was in, it was directed by The Lovely Wife, a play by Ronald Ribman called CEREMONY OF INNOCENCE about King Ethelred the Unready.

The other was a production by the University of Cincinnati directed by Word Baker (of Fantastiks fame) when he was director of the Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park.  It was a production of Marlowe's Edward II, done with minimal props and no costumes, performed at midnight on the levels and steps of the courtyard between the Playhouse and its offices.  People sat where they could (on steps, walls, etc.) and the performers played around them.  Very interesting.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 07:37:44 AM »

Western Oregon State University's production of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS was fantastic! I could not believe it wasn't a professional production.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 07:39:17 AM »

Good morning!

Today should be the last of our 90-degree days cooling down to the low 80s by the end of the week. It can't come fast enough!

Hate to complain about such bright, sunny weather, but it's still May and too early for these extreme temperatures.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 07:40:05 AM »

I also have to say that Mrs. Tollefson's 1st grade class's production of HICKORY DICKERY DOCK at Griffin Creek Elementary School in 1970 was quite well received...of course I might be prejudiced as I was the star.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 07:42:03 AM »

Well...well....well

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 07:42:17 AM »

DR JoseP, I would not be at all surprised if the maltilol in that suger free chocolate was the cause of the stomach pain...that is exactly what that stuff used to do to me (My system has gotten a bit more used to it now).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 07:42:39 AM »

I saw a community college production of YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN (with the original score and book - well before the Broadway revival that changed things), and I thought it was Broadway quality. Every role superbly cast, and every performer talented way beyond the scope needed for the show. The actor who did Snoopy (whose name escapes me now) I kept waiting to see his name in Playbills or starring on TV, but he seems to have vanished from the face of the earth (or changed his name and thus I wouldn't know where to look for him).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »

Thanks to DR BEN for the MAME Report....and for THE DROWSY CHAPERONE info....after I asked, I checked at Amazon.com....it is indeed being released in June....June 27 to be exact, so I preordered and got JERSEY BOYS at the same time to get Free Shipping.

So I will have in in a month or so.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up