Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FORTY WHIPLASHES  (Read 43759 times)

Jason

Re:FORTY WHIPLASHES
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2007, 10:42:35 AM »

OY! The Scorpio is coming out of me right about now...I'm cutting someone out my life. Unfortunately, it's someone I have to work with, but still...he's dead to me.

I got an email earlier today from my boss chiding me for wearing shorts at my show last night. She received this tidbit of information from one of the guys who works in the office, who happened to be at my theatre last night putting some locks on my storage cabinets. The thing is...he left before I changed into my work clothes (read: long pants and show shirt), and went back to the office today to tattle. Keep in mind, this is also the guy who covered for me this weekend while I was in Louisville, and walked off and left all my cabinets and sales booth unlocked and opened on Sunday night... As far as I'm concerned, he's a company spy and I'm through with him.

Thankfully, my boss allowed me to explain myself and was relieved to hear that I did not commit any crimes against the world of merchandising. Still...what kind of person goes and tattles like that? I expressed to her that I really wish he'd just asked me about my clothes if he had any concerns last night. I could've told him that I had my work clothes in my bag and there would have been no need to take the matter back to the boss.

Sometimes I just hate people. (Spoken like a true Scorpio...)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:47:30 AM by Jason »

singdaw

« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2007, 10:46:45 AM »

DR Jason, I would feel aggravated in that situation, too.

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2007, 10:50:54 AM »

Wow, Jason, you work with a very petty person there!

Jason

« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »

DR Jason, I would feel aggravated in that situation, too.

Oh, I was LIVID when I got the first email. L-I-V-I-D, LIVID!

The thing that bugged me the most was that she believed that I would wear shorts during the show. She has even said it herself - I would stroke out if I tried to get away with breaking the rules because I'd feel too guilty!

I don't know what he thought he was going to get out of tattling on me, but it clearly didn't work the way he'd hoped...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2007, 10:51:14 AM »

As DR RLP would say...

The mind boggles!

:)

Now that he's spilled the beans and deprived of us of a contest to guess what type of music he would use to inaugurate the turntable, I have to say I'm completely not surprised it was polka music.

I have a feeling there are some wild and crazy polka parties going on in the MBarnum household after dark!

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2007, 10:55:01 AM »

Actually, Noel, now that I understand the motive, I totally get it.   8)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 10:55:17 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2007, 10:56:53 AM »

Oh, I was LIVID when I got the first email. L-I-V-I-D, LIVID!

The thing that bugged me the most was that she believed that I would wear shorts during the show. She has even said it herself - I would stroke out if I tried to get away with breaking the rules because I'd feel too guilty!

I don't know what he thought he was going to get out of tattling on me, but it clearly didn't work the way he'd hoped...

I think that the next time he blithely walks up to you and starts talking you should simply stare at him with no expression on your face and say, "Eat shit and die."
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:09:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2007, 10:58:14 AM »

DR Noel - Just a "word of warning", as it were... Yes, hearing progress updates is all well and good, however, I'd be careful about the amount of detail - the number of "secrets" - that you're revealing.  Yes, PR is a good thing, and self-PR is a good thing - and a necessary evil - but you may inadvertently be telling us too much about Such Good Friends.

I'm sure that many changes are still bound to take place, such is the nature of the beast, but I think there's something to be said for a certain amount of discretion.  If we end up knowing everything about the piece before we see it, that could end up softening the effect of the piece when we see it live.  There would be no real surprise, no real revelation.  You're not giving away too many specifics, but even knowing in advance that something "cool and unexpected" is going to happen mid-way through Act 2 deflates the actual expectation.

And I've always thought that hearing about the "lost songs" and even the "bad songs" is something best left for after the production goes up.  I've always been one to keep the creative process to myself, so that's where I'm coming from.  And most of the big projects I've been on have purposely surrounded themselves with an air of mystery.  You need to hint at what we're going to see, not spell it out for us.  Sometimes too much information is, indeed, too much information.  *Even when I was with Lestat, I would have rather had people find out what a turkey the show was in person rather than telling them that in advance.  -'Cause, who knows?  Maybe they might have loved it.  And maybe I was too close to the project to be "audience subjective".  And stranger things have happened.  Even our very own BK also talks about his process in generalities.  It just leaves us wanting more.

Are you blogging about you writing experience?  That may be another way to get the word out there about Such Good Friends, and another way to share your creative process.  And by setting up something on Blogspot or LiveJournal or MySpace, you'd also be able to provide hyperlinks to your blog in other posts that you post on other forums.  That would also allow other creative-types to provide some input and/or share their stories - if you wish to read them.

And on a very personal note: Knowing that a writer didn't get it "right" on the first, second... or fifth or sixth try doesn't exactly make me feel good about the writer.  However, if I find that out after the fact - and am able to hear the progression of the previous drafts - well, then it comes across as the progress of genius.  When I hear about it as it happens - and I have many friends and acquaintances who write plays, music, books, etc. - it, frankly, becomes annoying.  I mean, if you're throwing something out, do I really need to know that?  When I go see a show, I'm seeing the final product, not the process.  Additionally, since none of us are able to hear the old and new material you're writing, we can't exactly be a springboard for you - if that's what you're looking for.  But, again, that's just me.

And that's my $0.04375  -Adjusted for inflation and cost of living in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »

Scandal?  What scandal?  Is there a link to the pictures?

I wish!  Sadly, the only proof of the scandal is provided by a close listen to the "HSM" soundtrack - his voice changes after some of the verses.  Plus, both Zac Efron and Drew Seeley have been very open and up front about the situation in interviews.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2007, 11:01:34 AM »

I trust that the next time he blithely walks up to you and starts talking that you simply stare at him with no expression on your face and say, "Eat shit and die."

I think he knows that he's on my shit list. Ask Jose - it's not hard to know when someone's on my shit list. Not that DR Jose has ever been on that list...he can just verify that I'm just a very easy person to read - especially when I hate someone.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 11:02:50 AM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: July 27, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »

I think he knows that he's on my shit list. Ask Jose - it's not hard to know when someone's on my shit list. Not that DR Jose has ever been on that list...I'm just a very easy person to read when I hate someone.  ;D

Just remember... An hour from now... Garrett's!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: July 27, 2007, 11:03:22 AM »

And don't forget your umbrella.  And maybe even a change of socks.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #162 on: July 27, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »

And don't forget your umbrella.  And maybe even a change of socks.  :-\

It's sunny and loverly here in the borough of Queens...blue skies...puffy white clouds...

Is it raining in the great borough of Manhattan??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: July 27, 2007, 11:07:42 AM »

It's sunny and loverly here in the borough of Queens...blue skies...puffy white clouds...

It's been coming and going.  There are some dark clouds on the horizon, and they're predicting thunderstorms for this afternoon.  And I think those predictions will come true.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: July 27, 2007, 11:11:01 AM »

I think the socks are simply precautionary...in case you run across any foot fetishists who collect dirty socks.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: July 27, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »

As DR RLP would say...

The mind boggles!

I was shocked to hear that someone was buying a turntable. It makes sense, of course, to play vinyl, but my tired mind just couldn't quite get it.

Mike Barnum, I love ya anyway.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: July 27, 2007, 11:16:36 AM »

Keep the updates coming, DR Noel.  HHW is a bushel-free zone.

Concur. I enjoy hearing about the progress of SUCH GOOD FRIENDS. I like to know what other H/Ks are doing, even if there's a bit of self-promotion there. When you're enthusiastic about something, it sometimes comes off that way, even when you don't intend it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2007, 11:17:21 AM »

I think the socks are simply precautionary...in case you run across any foot fetishists who collect dirty socks.

No.  They all live in San Francisco now.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2007, 11:18:54 AM »

THFYWC = Too Hot For Your Work Computer

oooohhh, I like that one.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »

OK - Time to head out into the heat and humidity.  -It's Summer, so it's supposed to be hot and humid.  Or as a friend of mine puts it: Humidity is God's way of telling you that you're wearing too many clothes.  Whatever the frell that means.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2007, 11:34:01 AM »

Regarding the creative process, I think JOSE makes some good points. There's another side, as well. As a writer, I've learned to be a bit secretive. Not for the purposes of promotion, but just because I've found that many people are sooo quick to judge. They may not have any experience of their own, often don't bother to get the facts, they just jump in and judge you. It can be very destructive. We're all human; we all have insecurities. It just isn't fair to judge a work that's in progress, unless asked to do so, in my opinion.

singdaw

« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »

It's been coming and going.

Sort of like all the people.

In the Grand Hotel.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:04 AM »

JASON,
I'm glad your boss allowed you to explain the situation.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2007, 11:50:13 AM »

It is very dark in THE FANTASTICKS land, I am sad to report.  Last night while I was at THE SUNSHINE BOYS read thru and lecture, there was a mutiny of actors vs. director in which everyone got involved including the costumer, the pit, and the janitor, for all I know.

I do not know what will happen tonight.  I do know that something must be done.....and the suggestion of the AD that I restage ALL of the musical numbers is NOT an option.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~SUPER SUNSHINE VIBES FOR JRAND!!~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »

Jason, I think you should simply start referring to your co-worker as Mr. Blackwell (said with a sneer, of course).   ;D  As someone who had a longterm relationship with a Scorpio once, I can attest that there's nothing worse than getting on the wrong side of that stinger.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2007, 12:16:54 PM »

One of my young assistants has created a page for the show: http://myspace.com/suchgoodfriendsthemusical so visit that and become a friend if that’s the sort of thing you do.  What amuses me is that the lyric you hear, the first half of Like Love, has been completely rewritten.  The other tracks include a duet between the stars of Our Wedding [

And someone who’s recorded some of my favorite Lost In Boston/Lost Musicals tracks for BK has joined our cast.  She’s all grown-up now, but we’ve heard what dress size she wore when she was a little girl…

Who is singing these lovely songs, & will said people be in the show?

Who is the girl, all grown-up now?

Noel, please continue the posts about the show.  It has been very interesting reading about the process & your progress.  I wish you great success & wish I could be there.

MBarnum

« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2007, 12:22:32 PM »

I was shocked to hear that someone was buying a turntable. It makes sense, of course, to play vinyl, but my tired mind just couldn't quite get it.

Mike Barnum, I love ya anyway.

Well, due to the influence of the missing-in-action DR Rodzinski, I have picked up a few nifty looking LPs over the years...some very cool 1950s covers...but had nothing to play them on...however, BIG LOTS happened to be selling this model for only $45.00 (normal retail is $159.99) I couldn't pass it up.

I was surprised how good the sound on it is! I am quite pleased with my purchase (and it plays CDs as well).

singdaw

« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:05 PM »

Hey, DR MBarnum -

Does that contraption RECORD cds from LPs?

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2007, 12:32:10 PM »

Besides, how could I not buy an album that looks like this!

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2007, 12:32:45 PM »

Hey, DR MBarnum -

Does that contraption RECORD cds from LPs?

Unfortunately not.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up