Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NEW AGE NEW YEAR  (Read 26823 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:THE NEW AGE NEW YEAR
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2003, 06:52:13 PM »

New Year's Eve is my least favourite holiday of the year.  Has been ever since high school.  I think it has something with all the enforced, desperate jollity raising expectations to an unrealistic level.  The lovely wife  Julieanne's and my tradition is to open the bubbly (we already have) and watch videos or DVDs, snuggle with the critters and, if we last till twelve, we pop a few Christmas Crackers.  Occasionally people join us, but we never go out.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2003, 06:54:33 PM »

I got most of it, but the recording of the Laurel Massé Internet New Year's Eve gig didn't go without a hitch.  Actually, I missed one instrumental piece performed by Laurel's guest, Francesca...someone (never heard of the name) and when the sound came back, Laurel was just singing the last note of another song.  Darn.  But I got the rest of it!  Anyway, in about 40 minutes, I'll be downtown eating at a fancy-type restaurant.  After that, I'll be back home...alone and not unhappy at all.  I'll be partying at HHW! ;D

Answers to a couple of DR's Questions:

What siblings have I?  One older sister, Diane

Do I feel the need to be in the company of anyone?  No.  I don't mind being at a party if I know people but I'm uncomfortable around people I don't know.  If I'd had my druthers (and I have several times over the years), I'd druther choose to be alone.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #182 on: December 31, 2003, 07:04:50 PM »

Michael Shayne..

In the future, could you please post a link to the playbill article and not the entire thing. Tremendous waste of bandwidth and space here.

Whatever are you talking about?   ???
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: December 31, 2003, 07:06:30 PM »

It's about 7:00 and I have to get ready for the feasting at 7:30. :) The place is called Anthony’s.  It's a Northwest regional chain that's pretty good...except that I really don't like seafood.  They do have a very good dinner salad, but it's (of course) over-priced.  But since I'm not paying, I'm not complaining!

I'll be back well before midnight Pacific time, but probably not before midnight New York time.  So:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY NEW YEAR EAST-COASTERS!![/move]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:08:35 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: December 31, 2003, 07:10:24 PM »

The finely-feathered der Brucer and I will be getting to bed early tonight, rather than wait for the New Year to begin, because he has to fly to Long Beach early tomorrow.  (Yes, BK, he will be arriving at Long Beach Airport.  Not that he's planning for you to meet him there, but you've commented here about how you liked that particular airport and, well, we like it too!)

Actually, since I'm not going with him, I really could stay up all night, but I think I'll pass this time.  (I moulted recently, and simply am not up to flying right now.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: December 31, 2003, 07:11:18 PM »

TO THOSE WHO ASKED WHERE PICTURES CAN BE FOUND OF DER BRUCER AND MYSELF: Uh, well, we don't have any right now.  We tried to have our picture taken recently, but the camera ran away.  But BK has met us both more than once, and might be able to provide a description or two!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:21:54 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #186 on: December 31, 2003, 07:14:55 PM »

As for siblings, I refer to my only older as "mysisterthebitch."  

That's not a word I use lightly; nor is the word "hate," which I only use when referring to hate crimes.  Unfortunately, mysisterthebitch is one of the most hateful people I have known.  

For years she used my being gay as a means of putting a wedge between my father and myself, using the old "you must never tell Dad because he'll never understand" gambit.  

She has also never appologized for slapping der Brucer at the dinner table one Christmas (supposedly for teasing her about not liking sweet potatoes, but really for getting along so well with her fiance).  

See, all those here who don't care for their sibs, you are not alone!

(For what it's worth, der Brucer never hears from his brother, and only occasionally hears from his sister.  We save a bundle on Christmas cards!)

Michael

« Reply #187 on: December 31, 2003, 07:19:03 PM »

Most Memorable Moments

The launching of www.brucekimmel.com

Meeting Bruce Kimmel at Hairspray and asking if he was Alan Abelew from "The First Nudie Musical" and when he said "No". I then asked if he was Stephen Nathan.

...Not really. I had plan to say that and even practiced it, but it went right out the window.

Having all those wonderful dinners at Joe Allen's and meeting the lovely touring Thoroughly Modern Mille herself Juliana.

Attending the recording of Jeepers Creepers and taking photos of the recording session. Some of which were published in Scarlet Street Magazine.

Meeting many of the Dear Readers who were part of the Scarlet Street Singers.

Meeting BK's NYC assistant Jonathan who it turns out I have been buying cds from for several years.

Getting reacquainted with Matt Hough who I first met about 15 years ago on a fido net board called Greasepaint and who I hope to meet one day face to face.

Getting know other DR like Tony Dale and Susan Gordon.

Reworking some plays that I wrote (one that was produced) so I can hopefully get future productions out of it.

Seeing DR Mark Rothman's new play here in Florida and having dinner with him afterwards. It was a real pleasure to do both.

On the downside.

My Uncle and my grandmother passed away. My father finally started  kidney dialysis.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:20:05 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: December 31, 2003, 07:19:53 PM »

DR George, are you certain that Anthony's is a Northwest chain?  Because I know there are Anthony's seafood places in the San Diego area, and while it's not uncommon for individual restaurants to have the same name, two chains of restaurants with the same moniker sounds like trademark infringement.

Any lawyers out there?  GET TO WORK!   8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 07:25:08 PM by S. Woody White »

Michael

« Reply #189 on: December 31, 2003, 07:22:26 PM »

Well I have taken some Excedrin PM and I hope that I will be in slumberland real soon. This new year's eve thing is soooooooo over rated.  I wonder does anyone else agree? It is up there with Halloween as two of the most useless and commercialized "holidays"
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: December 31, 2003, 07:24:15 PM »

And DR Jed: What with this talk about your bells, you've left out any description of your clanger!   ;D

Jed

« Reply #191 on: December 31, 2003, 07:27:18 PM »

Ooo, dinner at Anthony's... I'm now jealous, George. :)

Well, I must now be off to a New Year's party of my own with a group of my theatre friends.  I'm sure either Ken or Briar will have a camera there, so hopefully I'll be able to post a pic or two of the festivities in a couple days.

Happiest of New Years to all the HHW crew!  See you in 2004!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #192 on: December 31, 2003, 07:29:10 PM »

SWoody - ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

What a delightfully twisted group! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2003, 07:39:13 PM »

Well I have taken some Excedrin PM and I hope that I will be in slumberland real soon. This new year's eve thing is soooooooo over rated.  I wonder does anyone else agree? It is up there with Halloween as two of the most useless and commercialized "holidays"

Michael, I wholeheartedly agree.  I have never quite figured out the attraction of going out and celebrating the demise of yet another year of your life.  I have no objection to those, so inclined, celebrating to their heart's content, but, please, leave me out of it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2003, 07:56:08 PM »

Well, partay, partay, join the partay.  No forced frivolity here, just a warm, gushy partay with puhlenty of bootay shaking.  For example, I am now shaking my bootay.  I made the mistake of eating at El Pollo Loco (The Crazy Chicken) even though I said I wouldn't.  It was bad and now I am quite nauseated, so I mustn't shake my bootay with too much elan.

I'll be opening the chat room around nine o'clock, but that should not prevent puhlenty of partay posts.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2003, 07:57:43 PM »

Danise, cute picture.  I’m relieved to find I didn’t miss Jag’s.  Maybe it is time I catch up on some of those.  Nice New Year’s sentiments.

SWW-great name for you sister!  

Jed I had to ask Keith what MAO is.  

Jay and all who met Penny at Bruce’s Christmas Eve party, she called tonight to see how Keith is.  I have been told it was a pleasure for her to meet you all.  

Keith and I are going to curl up with Echo & Bogie ad watch a movie.  Have a great evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: December 31, 2003, 07:57:52 PM »

I agree about celebrating by going to parties and getting plastered and being with a bunch of loud people.  But, I've enjoyed spending the last two New Year's Eves right here, the friendliest site on all the Internet.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2003, 07:59:34 PM »

And to our lurking guests - lurk all you like and enjoy our partay - join in if you like, but if you don't like and just want to lurk, then lurk away and have a loverly New Year.

td

• td
« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2003, 08:13:12 PM »

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2003, 08:25:55 PM »

I am watching/listening to the New York Philharmonic with Renee Fleming on PBS.  Live from Lincoln Center on New Year's Eve.  Only it's on tape delay.  It's an all French program.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #200 on: December 31, 2003, 08:31:01 PM »

Jay and all who met Penny at Bruce’s Christmas Eve party, she called tonight to see how Keith is.  I have been told it was a pleasure for her to meet you all.  

Yeah, yeah,  When you see her next week, I guess the truth will come out.  Like how I wore a lampshade on my head, Charles gathered us in a circle (with knees touching, no less) to sing "Kumbiah," and Panni did her Hungarian dance on the coffee table.  Oh well, I knew our ruse of propriety was going to be short-lived.  I hope you will still respect us, Dear Reader Jane, in the morning.

Jay

« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2003, 08:34:04 PM »

Now that's weird.  One of my posts seemed to be on the right side of a post from Dear Reader TD, and then my follow up was on the left, in half-column mode.  Whassup with that???

Jay

« Reply #202 on: December 31, 2003, 08:36:36 PM »

OK, everyone was worried about Y2K.  Clearly, here at HHW.com we needed to be worried about Y2K+4.  Now we are posting in half-columns.

td

• td
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2003, 08:40:04 PM »

Hey! Jay and I are Siamese Twins!  ! ! ! !
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2003, 08:48:52 PM »

I'm posting just to see if it comes out on ther right side of the page...

Panni

« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2003, 08:49:22 PM »

It did!

Panni

« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2003, 08:51:54 PM »

DR Jay - we were all sworn to secrecy about what REALLY went on at bk's party. But now that you've blown that, we might as well tell them about the chicken sacrifices...

Kerry

« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2003, 08:54:15 PM »

I'm not lurking;I'm reading!

It's almost 10:00-- time to feed Sugar and get ready for bed.  Another hot New Year's Eve.   Just the way I like it.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2003, 08:54:56 PM »

How did we get all narrow all of a sudden?  Was it me?
I like boat races.

Jay

« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2003, 08:55:43 PM »

DR Jay - we were all sworn to secrecy about what REALLY went on at bk's party. But now that you've blown that, we might as well tell them about the chicken sacrifices...

Are you kidding???  I'm still trying to get the blood out of my sarong.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up