Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IF IT'S WEDNESDAY IT MUST BE WEDNESDAY  (Read 34009 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:IF IT'S WEDNESDAY IT MUST BE WEDNESDAY
« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »

And one for Mahler!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2005, 03:06:52 PM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2005, 03:06:57 PM »

Somethoughts from yesterday:

TCB remarked

I know that a lot of people at this site might be offended by this comment, but seeing the Off-Broadway production of Boys in the Band had an extremely negative on me as an eighteen year old college student on the verge of coming out of the closet.  I was shocked and horrified by the cast of characters who all seemed to me, at the time; to be depressed, bitter, or emotionally unstable people.  I cam back from New York determined to do anything I could to avoid that lifestyle.  In fact, I became engaged to a woman soon after that trip.  Now, in all fairness, I have never read or seen that play or movie since the time in New York.  Perhaps now, I would view the characters differently, but it was one of the most horrible experiences of my young life.

I can not resist some comments.

1. I thoroughly enjoyed "Boys in the Band" (film 1970), but I saw it as an already jaded adult who could recognize many of the caricatures from my own life (the bar-hopping bath-house crawler part, not the married family man with three kids part).

2. I can fully appreciate how TCB was repulsed. (I can see how "Boys in the Band" could drive one straight, but of course exposure to "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woofe" could drive you right back.

3. I'm not sure time has much improved the situation. What sane, sensible young man watching Queer as Folk would ever dare to come out of the closet?

4. For me, the scary This Could Happen To You film was "Advise and Consent", 10 years earlier - it really made a point to a young man just embarking on a Military career. "Fortune and Men's Eyes" (1971)" provided the incentive to avoid prison. The Ritz" (1976) came out after I had already enjoyed the NYC bath scene, and "Cruising" (1980) was a look back at my days night-crawling The City. I shudder to think what my reaction to those films would have been had I seen them in Junior High! Now , in my later years, it's easy to identify with films like "Jeffrey", "Philadelphia" and even "Love, Valor, Compassion".

5. It would be interesting to write a play with a 16 year-old male struggling with his sexual identity and a self assured 60 year old gay man with a long-time partner each reacting to the films mentioned above.

der Brucer (hoping I have not been left for another)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2005, 03:08:43 PM »

And the word of the day is: MASTICATE!

What! And go Blind!

der Brucer (sure that reading the next 8 pages of posts will show that many minds think alike)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2005, 03:12:34 PM »

Dr Dan - I put ice cream in my tea at a restaurant when they didn't bring us any milk - everyone looked at me in horror (just the people at my table, I mean, not the whole restaurant), and I've never done it again.  Was doing that in public that an etiquette breach I wasn't aware of, I wonder?

Answer: Only if it was Pistachio

der Brucer (butter almond would be yummy!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2005, 03:20:34 PM »

I think LaChiusa's article was written from bowls of sour grapes.  The entire piece reeks of envy.  

More like written from his bowels...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 03:20:59 PM by DERBRUCER »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2005, 03:23:11 PM »

Question for bk.  Where did you first hear the song "Getting Away With You" (which is becoming my most favorite on the GH CD) and what do you know about the composer?  Thank you!

So pleased to hear this.  Let me go to the post office, and then I'll answer this question more fully. :-)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2005, 03:27:13 PM »

Must now be on my way to the post office, but will be back very shortly, after which I'll tell you all the news that's fit to print.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2005, 03:32:53 PM »

Personally, I don't like anything MJLC has created and I often wonder why Marc Shaimen hasn't written more for the stage.

You'll enjoy this:
Teasing Out Success

Excerpt:

The studio is a semi-organized mess, with a bulletin board propped up on the floor outlining the new Martin Short project that Shaiman and Wittman are working on. It's a spoof of one-man shows called "If I'd Saved, I Wouldn't Be Here," and it's scheduled for Broadway this coming season.

They are also collaborating on a musical version of the Steven Spielberg film "Catch Me If You Can," for which Terrence McNally is writing the book. Shaiman is antsy to get started: "I'm dyin'," he says. After all, if he had his way, "I'd want to be just like Rodgers and Hammerstein were. You know, just writing shows one after another. I feel like I have 'em in me."

der Brucer

George

« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2005, 03:35:11 PM »

Earlier today, Jason wrote:
I do believe pg. 3 of today's notes may be the most viewed page in HHW history. Well, for me, at least. ;) Danke, Jose!

And before reading any more, I wrote:
You know Jason, you can save the pictures to your own computer and look at them whenever your little ... heart ;) desires! ;D

But after I caught up, I read this post that Jason has posted after his first but actually before I posted mine:
Now, nobody ever said anything about SAVING them! I just said that pg. 3 is probably the most viewed page - that's all. Saving them's too much trouble, anyway...I'd just ask Jose to email them to...um...nevermind.

I suppose that I should ketchup (or even catch up) before I post a response to a post. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2005, 03:35:52 PM »

THREE!!!

Four!  And up until a week or two ago, i thought that Jane Withers was also gone.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2005, 03:41:02 PM »

Sarah is standing... Danny is ???

What is "Playing Twister", Alex?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2005, 03:44:43 PM »

Four!  And up until a week or two ago, i thought that Jane Withers was also gone.

Say it ain't so!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2005, 03:52:51 PM »

I blame most of the state of the world on DR Jose.  How are your ears today?

And if they do a musical of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" maybe we can blame Jose for the State of Everything! 8)

der Brucer

Danise

« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2005, 04:01:15 PM »

Evening folks!

Congrats to DR Ginny on the NEW vehicle!  It looks stylish.  May it carry you hither and yon in comfort and safety for many years to come.

Sorry I didn’t post last night.  I had a bit of shocker at the Dr’s office and just wasn’t in the right frame of mind to post about it.  In as few words as possible:  Another kidney stone.  Big one (my specialty)   ::).  Surgery.  When I return from the NY Gathering if it doesn’t hit sooner.  Joy.  Sigh.   :-\

The only good news is that I’ve been put on meds to prevent (operative word) kidney stones in the future.  It won’t help a bit with any already formed.

Anyway, I’ve been meaning to ask DR  Rodzinski how you like the new job?  I hope that it is much better for you then the last place.  

As far as the Marc Shaiman/Hairspray thing, I’ll be the first person to say that I am not the most sophisticated person when it comes to the shows.  I only know when I like something or not.  I’m also too honest to tell someone I liked something if I didn’t.

When Hairspray came to the TBPAC, I totally enjoyed myself and judging from the reaction of the others in the audience, they were enjoying it as well.

Knowing that Mr. Shaiman posted on BWW, I PMed him and thanked him for a most enjoyable afternoon.  I would not have done that if I disliked the show in any way.  I could NOT have done that with either Ms. Saigon or Cats.  Mr. Shaiman kindly responded and told me he was glad that I had enjoyed it.  What more could someone ask of a musical?

Regarding the  “hairy eye candy”, I once told a friend that if I ever wanted to sleep with a rug, I’d buy one.  Of course, now Bear sleeps at the foot of my bed sooooo what can I say?   :D

I’m so glad to see DERBRUCER posting again!  You were missed.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2005, 04:09:32 PM »

Hello, fellow Dear Readers. I haven't had time to read all the notes today. I'll have to go back and catch up.

Charlie came today. He did what we need for the fire inspection. Today I ordered a knox box. AT&T never came (again). I supervised the stucco men stucco-ing. And I broke up clods of leftover path with a rake.

The end.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 05:12:15 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »

Evening folks!

Congrats to DR Ginny on the NEW vehicle!  It looks stylish.  May it carry you hither and yon in comfort and safety for many years to come.

Sorry I didn’t post last night.  I had a bit of shocker at the Dr’s office and just wasn’t in the right frame of mind to post about it.  In as few words as possible:  Another kidney stone.  Big one (my specialty)   ::).  Surgery.  When I return from the NY Gathering if it doesn’t hit sooner.  Joy.  Sigh.   :-\

The only good news is that I’ve been put on meds to prevent (operative word) kidney stones in the future.  It won’t help a bit with any already formed.

Thank you, DR Danise, for your "blessing" for my new car.  I think it's somewhat of a kid sister to your Bonnie.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've received challenging health news.  Sounds like this is not your first experience of this sort?  Take care.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2005, 04:10:37 PM »

Question for bk.  Where did you first hear the song "Getting Away With You" (which is becoming my most favorite on the GH CD) and what do you know about the composer?  Thank you!

I know the answer to this! But I shall let BK answer.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Danise

« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2005, 04:14:51 PM »

DR Ginny, Just remember that you might go faster then you intend in the new car until you get used to gas peddle!  The first time I drove Bonnie, I was doing 70 without even knowing it until I glanced down!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]      [/move]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 04:28:37 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2005, 04:19:42 PM »

DRJoey just called me; since this morning, he's walked across the Brooklyn Bridge, seen the Ground Zero site, caught the matinee of DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS, and more that I've forgotten.  He's meeting a friend for dinner and seeing LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA.  

Sounds like DR Joey is having a great time in NYC!  DR elmore, please say HI to him from back here in the midwest.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2005, 04:21:48 PM »

Thank you, DR Danise, for your "blessing" for my new car.  I think it's somewhat of a kid sister to your Bonnie.

I'm so sorry to hear that you've received challenging health news.  Sounds like this is not your first experience of this sort?  Take care.

Your welcome!  So what are going to name her?

Eh, this is the third time on the table for kidney stones.  The charm being that by the time I start showing the signs, it's to late to give me the meds to try to make me pass it--it's already to big.  The sound waves are the only logical way to treat it.

I'm praying the meds will do the trick and the third time will be the LAST.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2005, 04:28:37 PM »

Your welcome!  So what are going to name her?

Eh, this is the third time on the table for kidney stones.  The charm being that by the time I start showing the signs, it's to late to give me the meds to try to make me pass it--it's already to big.  The sound waves are the only logical way to treat it.

I'm praying the meds will do the trick and the third time will be the LAST.

DRDanise, are you drinking enough liquids and juices?  You're ther fourth friend in the past year to be suffering from them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »

I'm back from the post office, to find out dinner meeting has been cancelled and rescheduled for Tuesday night, because the person we were meeting with is ill.

Still haven't had word from the theater, which I find almost reprehensible.

Let's answer the Getting Away With You question thusly - the first person to guess where and when I first heard the song, and who can give us some info on Jonathan Goldman, its author, will win a sparkling prize.

Danise

« Reply #233 on: August 10, 2005, 04:41:59 PM »

DRDanise, are you drinking enough liquids and juices?  You're ther fourth friend in the past year to be suffering from them.

If anything, I wonder if I drink to MUCH water and that's the problem.  

The doctor made me promise to stop drinking  tea (sob!) except for green tea.  I only had one cup in the morning.  No coffee (which I never touched anyway) and no soda.  Sprite or 7 up are ok-- which is what I drink anyway when I drink a soda.  

And he said whatever I was drinking as far a water goes, to double it.  Since water is my drink of choice execpt for the one cup of hot tea I had in the morning, I don't get it.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2005, 04:45:39 PM »

If people need a reason for cake today (why would they), my father is having his 99th birthday. He is still on no medication whatsoever! (and alive).

He has short term memory loss  - he is not quite the same as Dory though.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2005, 04:46:14 PM »

I'm back from the post office, to find out dinner meeting has been cancelled and rescheduled for Tuesday night, because the person we were meeting with is ill.

Still haven't had word from the theater, which I find almost reprehensible.

Let's answer the Getting Away With You question thusly - the first person to guess where and when I first heard the song, and who can give us some info on Jonathan Goldman, its author, will win a sparkling prize.

Since I don't really know the song, I don't have klew where you heard it.

Driving down the highway in a convertible with a backseat full of balloons on a Sunday in May in the middle of a rainstorm.  That’s my guess.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #236 on: August 10, 2005, 04:54:49 PM »

BELATED BIRTHDAY GRRETINGS

TO DERBRUCER!
I enjoyed your movie comments.

GOOD HEALTH VIBES TO DANISE.

I too suffer from kidney stones... think cranberry juice.

BIRTHDAY WISHES TO

TOMOVOZ'S FATHER.

How did he end up being younger than you?

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #237 on: August 10, 2005, 04:58:42 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy 99th to DR Tomovoz's Dad!   May it be the best one yet but not the best one ever![/move]

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

« Reply #238 on: August 10, 2005, 05:00:27 PM »

Happy Birthday to DR Tomovoz's Father!! ;D

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #239 on: August 10, 2005, 05:02:50 PM »

Woah- playbill.com suddenly has a blue background.  What's up with that?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up