Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN THE MOOD STRIKES ME  (Read 38079 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WHEN THE MOOD STRIKES ME
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2005, 06:07:08 PM »

While the political brickbats have let up for the moment, let me jump in here and comment on the production of "Annie" I saw today.

I've always thought "Annie" a wonderful, wonderful show as far as "cast recordings" and the Disney TV version went, but I am pleased to report that it is also the terrific theatrical experience I hoped it would be, even this many years later and in a road company.

The girls were just adorable and Marissa O'Donnell as "Annie" was nearly perfect.  At the outset, she shook her "mane" too much and it distracted, I thought, from the effect her first couple of songs would have had being sung with her pure, wonderful voice.  

My greatest joy came from Alene Robertson as Miss Hannigan who was, in a word, SUPERB.  She was everything in the role that Carol Burnett was not!!!  She was both winning and lovable and mean and nasty.  You hated her, you loved her, and you cheered for her when all was said and done.  

Scott Willis as Rooster was amazingly energetic, robust and fun.  McKenzie Phillips was terrrific as Lily St. Regis.

My only -- read that, ONLY -- complaint is the  "new song -- "Why Should I Change A Thing?" -- giving Oliver Warbucks a first-act solo.

Aside from that song being totally unmemorable, Conrad John Schuck's baritone made it seem nearly monotonic.  "Something Was Missing," his second-act solo, wasn't nearly as mind-numbing.  He was very, very good as Warbucks, but I wish his songs hadn't left me feeling much was to be desired in their delivery.  He was totally wonderful in the group songs, and in "I Don't Need Anything But You."  Of course, the quality of the song helps immensely.

All the rest of the cast were top-notch and the score, save the Warbucks soli, was beautifully sung/performed.  The miking was perfection.

Set design was extremely effective, I thought, and costumes were first-rate.  All visuals, save the actors' faces,looked comparable to photographs I've seen from the original production.

It was a whole lot of fun, and I'm delighted to have experienced/wallowed-in it.

(The Golden Gate Theater in San Francisco, despite being nearly "on" Market Street, is in one of the most undesirably filthy areas of the city.  I was APPALLED at the neighborhood.  I wanted a bath shortly after going in, but settled for washing my hands.)

« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:38:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2005, 06:11:27 PM »

Cillaliz, every animal in the zoo!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:12:25 PM by Jane »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #152 on: September 03, 2005, 06:15:41 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D[/move]

A Very Happy Birthday to DR Matt H!!

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: September 03, 2005, 06:19:06 PM »

Discussion about tonight's BIG BROTHER 6.

Do not read, if you have not watched.

Am I the only one who does not get why everyone thinks the last pair has to be split up? I would rather have had Howie nominate Maggie and Ivette (since maggie basically controls everybody).  If you are not going to win, then why does it matter if CBS has to hand out $1M to the winner.  They are a weak team.  I really would have gunned for maggie.

But speaking of maggie, i do not like her, i do not like her, i do not like her.  She goes on to april about how they have to team up since ivette/beau are a team and janelle/howie are a team. YET, when she wins the veto, she has to THINK about whether to take ivette off (that would mean her partner april would go up). April was hysterical when she found out what mags was thinking about doing.  I don't get how maggie can claim to be such a wonderful clean player.  Yet she cannot keep a deal to save her life. UGHHH!!!

Oh and double uggh for who won HOH. This is horrible!

Jane

« Reply #154 on: September 03, 2005, 06:21:20 PM »

I found this:

As of September 1st, "Scattered reports said the New Orleans Zoo and the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas survived with minor damage, and only the deaths of some flamingos."

Jane

« Reply #155 on: September 03, 2005, 06:24:57 PM »

For more on the fate of the zoo animals:

http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0902-new_orleans_aquarium.html

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #156 on: September 03, 2005, 06:25:57 PM »

I have spent the last few hours delivering flyers around the new church neighborhood that tell about our disaster relief work and giving a wish list of supplies we'll need next week. I hope we get some response from the neighborhood. We have a storm brewing, so I'll finish up deliveries later tonight.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Michael

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2005, 06:26:21 PM »

A hello from Montreal.
Caught up on all the postings.

So sorry to hear about the passing of Ozderek.

A happy birthday to all from the last few days

My back is better but still hurts. thanks for all those vibes.
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »

And Very Happy Birthdays to Both former dear reader Joy, and occasional dear reader Sigerson Holmes!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2005, 06:32:14 PM »

Damn you, DR JMK.....damn you to hell!!!  But congratulations, anyway.  And what Frances info did you get from DR GEORGE?

He hasn't found out...yet.  The package hasn't arrived (I just mailed it yesterday). ;)

Jeff already answered this...I guess I should totally catch up (with ketchup) before I post.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 06:35:21 PM by George »

Cillaliz

« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2005, 06:32:33 PM »

For more on the fate of the zoo animals:

http://news.mongabay.com/2005/0902-new_orleans_aquarium.html

Whew! I hope this is right. I don't know why I didn't look for this, I have been feeling bad about this for several days!

George

« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2005, 06:34:15 PM »

*As far as "I'm Still Here":  The production I saw was at the 5th Avenue in Seattle, and I believe it was Judy Kaye, but perhaps DR George can jog my memory.

Judy Kaye played Sally, but Karen Morrow sang "I'm Still Here."  My absolute most favorite performance (that I've seen...not just heard) of the song.

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: September 03, 2005, 06:36:33 PM »

Linda has told about 5 different people that story. I have no reason to doubt the Zoo Association about it. I don't know why I listen to her!

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: September 03, 2005, 06:38:19 PM »

Discussion about tonight's BIG BROTHER 6.

Do not read, if you have not watched.

Am I the only one who does not get why everyone thinks the last pair has to be split up? I would rather have had Howie nominate Maggie and Ivette (since maggie basically controls everybody).  If you are not going to win, then why does it matter if CBS has to hand out $1M to the winner.  They are a weak team.  I really would have gunned for maggie.

But speaking of maggie, i do not like her, i do not like her, i do not like her.  She goes on to april about how they have to team up since ivette/beau are a team and janelle/howie are a team. YET, when she wins the veto, she has to THINK about whether to take ivette off (that would mean her partner april would go up). April was hysterical when she found out what mags was thinking about doing.  I don't get how maggie can claim to be such a wonderful clean player.  Yet she cannot keep a deal to save her life. UGHHH!!!

Oh and double uggh for who won HOH. This is horrible!

SPOILERS

I agree. Howie and Janelle are going to be history. Just think of what Kaysar is doing, it will make you feel better.

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: September 03, 2005, 06:39:43 PM »

Ok here's a try at a photo, if this works I'll post a couple more

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: September 03, 2005, 06:42:52 PM »

This is Mother Blues at Papa Joe's, the bar that stayed open

Cillaliz

« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2005, 06:46:40 PM »

My ancestor's mansion in the Garden District

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2005, 06:49:41 PM »

No comment

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2005, 06:56:56 PM »

Early morning after the streets were cleaned

Jason

« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2005, 07:00:00 PM »

It has been one of the most glorious days in New York in recent memory. What a loverly afternoon. I spent it at the Bronx Zoo with two friends and we had a wonderful time.

Before I start posting pictures, though -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MATT H!!!

Showstoppers I've actually seen:

"Once More Before I Go" (Hugh Jackman)
"Defying Gravity" (Idina Menzel)
"The Winner Takes It All" (Louise Pitre)
"A Little Priest" (Stokes and Christine Baranski)
"Not Getting Married Today" (Alice Ripley)
"Franklin Shepard, Inc." (Raul Esparza)
"Timeless to Me" (Harvey Fierstein & Dick Latessa)
"Ladies Who Lunch" (Elaine Stritch)
"The Impossible Dream" (Brian Stokes Mitchell)
"100 Easy Ways" (Donna Murphy)
"Lot's Wife" (Tonya Pinkins)
"Hello, Dolly" (Carol Channing)
"Gimme, Gimme" (Sutton Foster)
"Springtime for Hitler"

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: September 03, 2005, 07:01:31 PM »

Muriel's - notice the ghost in the lower right

Cillaliz

« Reply #171 on: September 03, 2005, 07:02:02 PM »

oops try this

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2005, 07:02:43 PM »

Ok, maybe it wasn't a ghost, just the camera speed - but who knows?

Jason

« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »

Two little monkeys sitting in the tree...

George

« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2005, 07:04:31 PM »

Why is everyone sitting there like lumpen pieces of herring?  Let's get some life going on, let's get some pep and vim and snazz going on.  Food call - what has everyone eaten thus far?

The only thing that I've eaten has been a fish sandwich and a cheesburger...with a very large diet Coke.  I was very hungry when I was out driving about and drove through the golden arches.  That was at about 12:30 this afternoon.  The only other thing I've had was a bottle of sparkling mineral water with "natural orange flavor." :P to sparkling mineral water of any flavor.  There wasn't enough orange flavor (natural or otherwise) and the minerals are not to my liking.  Oh, well, it quenched my thirst. :)

Jason

« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2005, 07:05:04 PM »

Dem's a whole BUNCH of monkeys!

Jason

« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2005, 07:06:24 PM »

A loverly peacock to brighten your day...

George

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2005, 07:06:44 PM »

Great pictures, Cillaliz!

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2005, 07:07:13 PM »

One last one

George

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2005, 07:09:05 PM »

And one for Mahler!

Someone deleted a post! ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 07:11:00 PM by George »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up