Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OCTOBERFEST AND THE CASE OF THE MISSING "D"S  (Read 25401 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OCTOBERFEST AND THE CASE OF THE MISSING "D"S
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2005, 02:32:41 PM »

Glad to read the show went OK, DR TCB. Higgins is such a monumental role, and those lyrics of "Ordinary Man" and "Hymn to Him" go on forever. I have sympathy for anyone tackling that part.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »

Wth everyone coming and going, this weekend, I forgot to talk about Opening Night of MY FAIR LADY.  The show went very well (all things considered).  Higgins had a rather off night, lyrics-wise, but still a pretty good show.  We received a standing ovation, which is rare for that theater, on opening nights.  Still, I doubt I will be offering copies of the DVD (if such a thing existed) to any of my friends.  The SCROOGE DVD (if it existed), was overall a better production.

DR TCB - Thanks for your opening night report.  I will think of you tomorrow when my DH Richard and I see a touring My Fair Lady at Dayton's Schuster Center.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2005, 02:33:29 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page 5 Dance!!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2005, 02:34:31 PM »

I'm thinking when I finish GIANT tonight, I may pull another epic off the shelf - SPARTACUS.

I will save ANYTHING GOES for tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »

And I still have those TV shows still on the DVR. I MUST wtach them and then clear those off tonight or I could lose interest in them.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2005, 02:36:23 PM »

DR TCB - Thanks for your opening night report.  I will think of you tomorrow when my DH Richard and I see a touring My Fair Lady at Dayton's Schuster Center.

Thanks, Ginny.  And remember, I am a much better Pickering than that guy in the touring company.
  ::) ::) ::) ::)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2005, 02:36:41 PM »

DR JRand,

Just wanted to remind you about the repeat of COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF which comes on ABC tonight at 10 p.m.

SURFACE is also repeating its first two episodes tonight at 8 on NBC.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2005, 02:37:23 PM »

Celebrated national Pork Month by having Eggs Benedict

That used to be one of my favorites.

However....

I decided to rename my favorite breakfast (which heretofore was called Eggs Benedict). Benedict is a vicious homophobic Pope bringing great despair to his flock and pain to his church!  Unfortunately, the first known queer Pope was also a Benedict (IX), so I shall have to go with another Flame of the Vatican, Julius (III).

Henceforth, breakfast shall be "Eggs Julius".

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2005, 02:38:02 PM »

Thanks, Ginny.  And remember, I am a much better Pickering than that guy in the touring company.
  ::) ::) ::) ::)

I have NO DOUBT!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2005, 02:44:03 PM »

The Ray Courts show seemed better attended today than it has been, but about two o'clock it seemed that the crowds had been and gone.  Hisaka didn't recognize too many people, so she seemed bewildered by it all.  We did have nice chats with Warren Berlinger and Mariette Hartley, and I saw a few other folks I know.  I bought a couple of CDs, Mariette's book, and a couple of pieces of sheet music.  Then Pogue, his friend Pat, Hisaka and I went and had some food at the Daily Grill (light, so as not to spoil dinner).  Here is a photograph of Pogue, Hisaka, and Pat, taken directly after lunch.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 02:44:42 PM by bk »

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2005, 02:50:10 PM »

DR FJL and others - The dinner on Wednesday will be at:

La Cocina
217 W 85th Street (between Broadway & Amsterdam)
Start time: 8:00-ish

We will most likely be downstairs.

*Anyone up for lunch at Artie's on Monday? ;)
-When I checked in with Artie's, I got a distinct vibe that they would be very busy next Wednesday night due to post-Rosh Hoshanah dining, and that they weren't too keen on parties possibly lingering - which is understandable.  However, I still like their latkes and pastrami.  :)

DR Jose - thanks for filling in this detail.  I'd love to have lunch Monday at Artie's, but my plane isn't due into LGA until 12:30 and by the time I get into the city it'll be getting pretty close to the time to meet for dinner at Barrymore's.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2005, 02:53:55 PM »

Well time to start getting all dolled up for the big shindig tonight.  I'm hoping it all goes wonderfully.....stay tuned.

FJL

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2005, 02:53:57 PM »

Warren Berlinger was on one of my absolute all-time favorite short-lived shows, THE FUNNY SIDE.  For the students at Yeshivah of Flatbush, it was the equivalent of a watercooler show.  We came into school the next day and recited all the best jokes, at least the ones we understood.    I still go around humming the theme song all these years later.  (The young married couple on that show was really good, too.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 02:55:18 PM by FJL »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2005, 02:58:08 PM »

SURFACE is also repeating its first two episodes tonight at 8 on NBC.

Thanx - our Local TV Guide says not, but the on-line Cable guide says YES.

And with out new nifty cable box (HDTV Converter/DVD Recoder combined) we can watch one channel and tape record another. It's also nice to be able to record and play back in HDTV!

I just wish we got ABC on HDTV - we get NBC, CBS, TNT, FOX, HBO and SHO

I must admit, HDTV is becoming addictive! Even the difference with the DVDs is spectacular! (And, boy, am I glad I switched to buying wide-screen DVDs long before I had an HDTV to fully appreciate them.

I must confess, previously I thought you were probably exagerating the big plus of HDTV and enhanced DVDs - but no more. I am a True Believer. (For me the best part is the backgrounds - the night cityscapes, waves breaking on rocky seashores, billowing clouds over mountains...)

der Brucer

« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 02:58:44 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2005, 03:00:14 PM »

The Ray Courts show seemed better attended today than it has been, but about two o'clock it seemed that the crowds had been and gone.  Hisaka didn't recognize too many people, so she seemed bewildered by it all.  We did have nice chats with Warren Berlinger and Mariette Hartley, and I saw a few other folks I know.  I bought a couple of CDs, Mariette's book, and a couple of pieces of sheet music.  Then Pogue, his friend Pat, Hisaka and I went and had some food at the Daily Grill (light, so as not to spoil dinner).  Here is a photograph of Pogue, Hisaka, and Pat, taken directly after lunch.

DR Hisaka is even lovely than her avatar would lead us to believe.  Of course, DR Charles, and friend Pat, are quite attractive, as well.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2005, 03:14:41 PM »

Great photo - Pat certainly is TALL!

Warren was a favorite of mine as well....BILLIE and BLUE DENIM.  And he was in Fireball 500 with Frankie and Annette!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2005, 03:15:20 PM »

Thaks DRMATTH - I am considering watching Geena tonight - depends on the other channels, of course!

BLACK NARCISSUS is coming on again!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2005, 03:16:56 PM »

Having no luck, trivia-wise, but not throwing in the towel yet!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2005, 03:30:52 PM »

Colin and I went to see the first Australian production of "Parade" last night.  It was presented by one of Universities and was staged well. The cast of students certainly worked hard.

As for the show....

We found it to be "ugly" musically and there really is not a character to like in the first Act.  By the time the Franks learn anything about each other we were way past caring!. IF JRB is the future of musical theatre I won't be going often! DP Colin and our two friends with us did not know the show from the recording. I thought that may have helped in this instance.  It didn't.

I would have prefered "The Capeman". At least the score was so much better than the book and can be appreciated in its own right.  Not so "Parade".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2005, 03:42:56 PM »

And with out new nifty cable box (HDTV Converter/DVD Recoder combined) we can watch one channel and tape record another. It's also nice to be able to record and play back in HDTV!

I just wish we got ABC on HDTV - we get NBC, CBS, TNT, FOX, HBO and SHO

I must admit, HDTV is becoming addictive! Even the difference with the DVDs is spectacular! (And, boy, am I glad I switched to buying wide-screen DVDs long before I had an HDTV to fully appreciate them.

I must confess, previously I thought you were probably exagerating the big plus of HDTV and enhanced DVDs - but no more. I am a True Believer. (For me the best part is the backgrounds - the night cityscapes, waves breaking on rocky seashores, billowing clouds over mountains...)

Yes, the greatest thing about the DVR I now use is that it can record HDTV shows in HDTV. Now, I can record CSI and see it in its full HDTV glory, always stunning to look at. Maybe your ABC affiliate will come aboard soon. ABC does have some shows that are stunning in HDTV - ALIAS, for one.

I've said this before, but before I had HDTV, I watched TV, and I watched DVDs. What has changed is the amount of each that I now watch, and it is strictly because the clarity and stunning quality with which television programs and films can now be seen in the home makes viewing them a real EXPERIENCE. The scope of the picture and the dynamics of the sound make even lowly sitcoms almost an event now. And action shows like CSI and ALIAS become movie-quality in the details and depth you can now see.

I am so glad you can see what I was talking about.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2005, 03:47:28 PM »

OK, off to finish GIANT and then on to SPARTACUS.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: October 01, 2005, 04:23:55 PM »

BK, has filled you in on the Ray Courts show.  Both Warren Berlinger and Mariette Hartley were a delight! As was dear Hisaka who brought me the most wonderful gift!  A Japanese Press Book of THE FLY.  Boy, does my name look strange in Japanese.  It was most kind and thoughtful of her.  Thank you, Hisaka!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: October 01, 2005, 04:31:49 PM »

Wasn't my pal Mike Lembeck in The Funny Side?

FJL

« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2005, 04:44:54 PM »

I checked imdb, and Michael Lembeck and Cindy Williams (!) were the young married couple.

Interesting that on imdb, they list the couple played by John Amos and Teresa Graves as the "minority husband" and "minority wife."  I don't remember if they were actually called that on the show.

FJL

« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2005, 04:51:58 PM »

DR Der Brucer - Is that how the Orange Julius was named?  For Pope Julius?

td

• td
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2005, 05:15:03 PM »

DR Hisaka is even lovely than her avatar would lead us to believe.  Of course, DR Charles, and friend Pat, are quite attractive, as well.

I knew you'd say that!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »

Of course, that's right.  Cindy was talking about it the other day - about her time with Gene Kelly.

François de Paris

« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2005, 05:26:18 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAME JULIE!

70, GIRL, 70!

François de Paris

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2005, 05:27:51 PM »

Creatively Speeking
Ms. Andrews' directorial debut will be featured on Saturday's radio show, which is called "Creatively Speaking" on WRTI 90.1FM in Philadelphia on Saterday 1st October or on the Web at www.wrti.org. Jim Cotter will interview Ms. Andrews in advance of the opening of "The Boy Friend."

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2005, 05:31:01 PM »

Today is "International Day Of the Elderly".  I shall celebrate.
(Today USA that is).

Of course now I've forgotten what day it is and what I'm celebrating.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up