Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVING RIGHT ALONG  (Read 31132 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:MOVING RIGHT ALONG
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2005, 12:47:17 PM »

Jose I’m set on the itinerary.  All I needed were my favorite shops so I know where to return.  My niece had also asked where we went.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2005, 12:51:13 PM »

Matt H I didn’t know there was a remote possibility “Commander in Chief” would not complete the season.

As for “Medium”….  Though we enjoyed the last episode very much we didn’t think it was a good as the pervious two.  It could be the very corny and predictable final scene.  It was if they had two minutes that needed filling and that was the best they could do.

Ron thanks for all “The Robe” details.  I was rather young when I saw the movie and without the graphic details of today’s movies the ending blurred in my memory.  

Jason

« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2005, 12:51:31 PM »

I'm seeing The Color Purple on Wednesday, November 9th at 8pm. Just got a ticket from TDF.

Ben, you are a dear. I'll see you there!!!

Jason

« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2005, 12:52:08 PM »

Ben, you are a dear. I'll see you there!!!

And by that I mean, "thank you for mentioning that it's on TDF. I've just purchased a ticket for the same evening."

Ben

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2005, 12:53:27 PM »

Great! And now, I'm going home to get ready for Big Apple Circus.

Jane

« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2005, 12:59:22 PM »

Joey have a great show tonight and loads of fun. :D

Jason

« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2005, 12:59:26 PM »

Jose: Are you in town on the 9th? If so, I can add a ticket to my order... Let me know.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2005, 01:09:08 PM »

In my CD player at work:  The Sound of Music, the live Austrian cast recording, sung in German, that I got from www.soundofmusic.de.  I also got the German cast recording of The Beautiful Game (it was on sale).

In my VCR:  my niece's copy of "Lost" from Wednesday (I taped the wrong channel...dopey me ::)).  

In my DVD player:  "Broadway Damage" from Netflix, then a couple of other movies that I bought and can't remember.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2005, 01:13:03 PM »

Jose: Are you in town on the 9th? If so, I can add a ticket to my order... Let me know.

:(

Alas, that will be my second day of rehearsal... Although since we always do "table work" the first few days...  Hmm... Ah, well...

*Is anything listed for the first couple of shows?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »

In my DVD player:  "Broadway Damage" from Netflix, then a couple of other movies that I bought and can't remember.

Hmm.... Hugh Panaro....

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2005, 01:14:16 PM »

OK - Rain here in DC means bad traffic, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2005, 01:16:36 PM »

Well...  I'll see if I can catch him during intermission.  And I'll ask Joel, the company manager, about getting an autographed photo for you.  -Would you like it personalized?

No, thanks!  I'm just a fan....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2005, 01:17:21 PM »

:(

Alas, that will be my second day of rehearsal... Although since we always do "table work" the first few days...  Hmm... Ah, well...

*Is anything listed for the first couple of shows?

They've got tickets for Thursday, Nov. 3 - third preview. Alas, I have already paid for my ticket for the 9th - no exchanges. BUT! If you want me to get a single ticket for you on the 3rd, I'd be happy to...

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2005, 01:24:40 PM »

As the Red Queen said to Alice,  "Here it takes all the reading you can do to catch up with the posts (you might as well try to catch up with a Bandersnatch!).  If you want to post something yourself, you will have to read a good deal faster."

Especially if you are grading tests on Compound Interest and Annuities.  Nancy Sinatra missed the exam.  (That last line is only for long-term hhw members.)

And now it's time to leave work, run and get a pizza, and watch Joe collapse after mowing the lawn.

So:

~~~ Appropriate Wasp, Flu, Slit-Throat, and other Vibes to all, as they may apply! ~~~

CD at work:  Mary Poppins, Original London Cast.

ciao for niao
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2005, 01:26:52 PM »

DR Ron was correct about CSI and George Eads' performance. (If he could have mustered a tear to run down his cheek, it would have been perfect. He's creid before so it wouldn't have been a first.)

A very surprising, twisty episode. But I was going along with Sara's estimation of the girl's fate. I didn't see how it was possible otherwise.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2005, 01:31:36 PM »

Sounds like Joe Brooks and Rose O'Donnell have much to compare notes about as far as pushing something through, as foolhardy as it is, to see a "dream" fulfilled.

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2005, 01:37:20 PM »

Well, no new show any more is signed for a total of 22 shows from the outset, DR Jane. If the show is an instant flop, it means millions in lost revenues for the network, so most shows get an initial order for 6 episodes, and if the ratings warrant, they either get picked up for an additional 7 (to make 13 episodes, enough to last through midseason) or a complete order for another 14-18 episodes. Shows that already have a 13 episode commitment are often picked up for "the back 9," again making a total of 22 episodes.

COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF went from the initial 6 to the complete order of 22 due to its smash ratings. Other new shows that have been picked up for the entire season off 22 episodes so far are MY NAME IS EARL, SURFACE, EVERYBODY HATES CHRIS, CRIMINAL MINDS, and HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 01:57:38 PM by Matt H. »

François de Paris

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2005, 01:37:50 PM »

October 13th 2005 (www.boston.com) by Michael Kuchwara
Julie Andrews -- director -- puts `The Boy Friend' on the road
NEW YORK --On a warm mid-May morning in a drab, sixth-floor rehearsal studio on West 26th Street, a young woman stands in the middle of the room and sings a plaintive song of yearning called "Is It Really Me?" from the musical "110 in the Shade."

"Lovely. Lovely," murmurs a distinctly proper and very British voice that theater and movie-musical buffs instantly would recognize. Eliza Doolittle. Guenevere. Mary Poppins. Maria von Trapp.

Julie Andrews is offering encouragement to a hopeful performer auditioning for a role in a production of "The Boy Friend," the Sandy Wilson musical that will play the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, Conn., and then tour the country.

For singer Jessica Grove, it is the beginning of a new chapter in her budding career. For Andrews, it is something new, too. She is now Julie Andrews -- director.

"It just feels that every single thing I've ever done in my life is now brought to bear on this aspect of my career," the star of "My Fair Lady," "Camelot" and "The Sound of Music" says months later -- after "The Boy Friend" had opened its summer run in Connecticut and was preparing to go on the road. "And I'm enjoying it immensely."

Andrews sits in a corner suite (complete with piano) in the Carlyle, a swank Upper East Side hotel. Dressed entirely in white -- white pants, white blouse and a white baseball cap -- she talks about her introduction to New York and "The Boy Friend," the show that first brought her to Broadway from England in 1954.

"New York was an assault on my senses in every way," recalls Andrews, who turned 19 the day after her Broadway debut. "We didn't have enough money for my parents to come. I came alone, unchaperoned.

"I was very green and very green about being in America. An 18-year-old girl is like a 16-year-old girl over here. I felt very young and out of my depth. I would stop in shop doorways because I would get so dizzy from the pace."

Yet Andrews not only survived, she triumphed in Wilson's affectionate spoof of 1920s musicals, a loving lampoon of classic shows of the period such as "No, No, Nanette."

Ask the 81-year-old Wilson, who wrote the show's book, music and lyrics, to describe Andrews' performance of more than 50 years ago, he smiles and sighs, saying only, "Pure silver. Pure silver."

Andrews has brought her intimate knowledge of the show to the Goodspeed revival, a journey that first began in 2003. The place: the Bay Street Theatre, a Long Island playhouse in Sag Harbor, N.Y., run by daughter Emma Walton, Walton's husband Stephen Hamilton and Sybil Burton, the ex-wife of Richard Burton.

It was Walton, who first suggested that her mother direct "The Boy Friend," persisting while Andrews came up with reasons not to do it, particularly the thought of possibly failing at a theater run by her daughter.

"We told her we would surround her with so much support and love that she couldn't possibly fail," Walton said, offering the best actors and production assistance she could find. "We would be there every day for her. And truthfully, if not here, where? She would be surrounded by people rooting for her."

The engagement proved so successful that Goodspeed Musicals, which operates the quaint Victorian theater on the banks of the Connecticut River, came calling, offering a production there in the summer of 2005 and then a North American tour.

"When we heard about the Bay Street production and how wonderful it was, we knew audiences would love this musical and that it would be perfect for our first touring venture across the country," said Michael Price, executive director of Goodspeed Musicals.

How did Andrews approach a new production of "The Boy Friend"?

"The only thing I knew was that it should be as truthful and gentle as possible," she says simply. "I'd like the piece to represent a time of complete innocence between the two world wars."

The musical is set in the south of France, in a fairy-tale enclave of rich girls and boys whose thoughts of romance dominate the airiest of plots of love, both lost and found.

Andrews enlisted the help of her ex-husband, Tony Walton, a veteran set and costume designer and father of Emma. The director suggested the show look like a Raoul Dufy watercolor, with a design emulating the French painter's transparent, light-searing images. Tony Walton readily agreed.

Auditioning performers was not easy for Andrews. She calls the process "painful."

"I've been there and done that, so I do have enormous empathy for actors," she says. "I guess I draw on my own experience. I think I'm able to sense insecurities."

For the actors, "The Boy Friend" was more than just an audition.

"The difference is I grew up watching her in the movies," says Grove, who, until now, was best known for playing Dorothy in a touring version of "The Wizard of Oz."

"She was an actor first and somebody I've always looked up to. You walk into the room and you think `I want Julie Andrews to think I am good enough.' I probably was more nervous than I've ever been for any audition."

Nervous or not, Grove got the role of Polly, the same part Andrews played a half-century ago.

On the first day of rehearsals in June, the director asked the cast to jot down on a piece of paper where they thought their characters might be coming from.

"What it did was bring us together as a company," Andrews says of the descriptions.

Everyone got a moment center stage to read what they had written, and it gave Andrews an idea of how well the performers understood the musical.

"They all complied brilliantly," she says, "and some of them were so outrageously funny. A silly exercise, but it worked. It was a great moment for the whole company to get to know each other. And from then on, we were away and blocking scenes."

If the songs and the situations could be thought of as frivolous, Andrews doesn't think of them as such. She is a stickler for absolute fidelity to the lyricist's intentions.

"Lyrics are really part of the scripted storytelling put to music," she says, adding that she urged performers to carefully think them through before they sing.

"If you've got the right image and the right picture in your head, it makes a huge difference. The more you work with words in songs, the more you will find your texture. These are light, light songs, but if you really infuse them with a genuine character and reality, they will hold up much stronger."

But Andrews' rehearsals were anything but dogmatic.

"She is very nurturing," says Grove. "In a way, she thinks of us as her children. She is very calm, she never raised her voice once. She is very positive and I feel her positive energy brought the company together."

Andrews didn't ask her husband, movie director Blake Edwards, for advice and he didn't offer any. "This one's yours," he told her.

"However, I have to say, based on having watched him -- we've done seven movies together -- and I've watched him on many another set, I can't say that I didn't pinch a couple of things."

She also remembered working with Moss Hart, the legendary theater director who guided her on stage in both "My Fair Lady" and "Camelot."

"That's the best learning experience I've ever had. Moss was my mentor. He gave me a great gift. I actually say to myself, `I wonder if Moss would approve -- or Alan Jay Lerner (book writer and lyricist of "My Fair Lady"). What would they think?' It's just a little reminder that they were the giants, and I was lucky to work with them.

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2005, 01:47:35 PM »

Hello François and WFO - Long time no posts.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2005, 01:50:29 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed BATMAN BEGINS. For a comic book movie about a dark hero, it was superbly designed and very well executed. The jumps in continuity gave the beginning an unease that I quite appreciated (no surprise coming from Christopher Nolen who triumphed with even more convoluted execution in MEMENTO), and while the tone was quite somber, there was just enough wry humor to keep things hopping. (And I didn't find the one liners and witticisms as cheesy as they were in Joel Schumacher's two BATMAN films.)

Yes, I had some problems with the film. Katie Holmes was a disastrous choice for the ADA, and my disdain has nothing to do with her headlined "romance" with Tom Cruise. She's a pallid actress (we're talking Elisabeth Rohm uninteresting) with nothing much to offer, and I can only say the decision to excise her from future installments was well founded.

I didn't much approve of whom the villain turned out to be. It worked OK, and it didn't go against any BATMAN lore that I'm familiar with, but the Scarecrow himself could well have been villain enough for me.

I had no problems with the extensive CGI used in the film. I can't imagine a comic book movie made today without it (and its use was much better integrated than the very cartoony CGI used in the two SPIDER-MAN films). In the old days, filmmakers relied on very obvious (to us today) rear projection, miniatures, and matte work. Every era has its own peculiar tools for filmmaking. BATMAN BEGINS integrates them quite well.

I think they've made a wise choice with Christian Bale as Batman. He's young enough to grow through several sequels, and the dark tone without the overly morbid atmosphere of the Tim Burton BATMAN films was much to my liking.

So, yes, I did have a very different reaction to the film than bk.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2005, 01:53:48 PM »

Before my company arrived, I also had time to watch last night's JOEY. It actually had some funny stuff. John Larouquette was once again the guest star, and Matt LeBlanc having another funny actor to play off of worked well. Jennifer Coolidge is also the show's greatest asset as befuddled agent Bobbie.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2005, 01:58:33 PM »

This leaves me with SMALLVILLE to watch tonight, and then I'll probably go with I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE off the DVR.

François de Paris

« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2005, 01:58:56 PM »

Hello François and WFO - Long time no posts.

Well, I let Dame Julie express herself; she has better things to say than me! :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2005, 01:59:30 PM »

I just finished the Austrian The Sound of Music.  I must say that I enjoyed it very much!  It's a live recording and they edited it so that it's just the songs with a few snippets of dialogue every once in a while and applause in between the songs.  They performed mostly the original Broadway version, meaning that they didn't add "I Have Confidence" that was written for the movie, and Maria and "Mutter Oberin" sang "My Favorite Things" before Maria leaves the convent for the first time.  And the two songs with Max and Elsa are performed.  The only song from the movie that they added was "Something Good."  They didn't do "An Ordinary Couple."

I think that it's pretty cool when an English language musical that's set in another country and is supposed to be in another language is actually performed in that language.  I'd love to have a Swedish cast recording of A Little Night Music, French cast recordings of The Phantom of the Opera and Menken & Schwartz's stage version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, a Japanese cast recording of Pacific Overtures(!) and and Italian cast recording of Passion.  Things like that.  Umm...anyone have these?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2005, 01:59:47 PM »

So you're the boyfriend?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: October 21, 2005, 02:01:17 PM »

The English cast of "Sweeney Todd" - does that count?
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2005, 02:01:50 PM »

The Australian cast of "The Boy From OZ'
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2005, 02:01:58 PM »

Thanks for the car vibes. Soon the window man will be here and all will be a distant memory. I am lucky to have full coverage...I feel for those whose cars are broken into, and whose things are stolen, who can't afford the insurance deductible!

I am also fortunate that nothing was stolen!!

and in the scheme of things...a broken window is not much of a disaster.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2005, 02:02:19 PM »

Just got this off the internet:

"Gordon Lee, the chubby child star who played Porky, Spanky McFarland's little brother in the classic Our Gang short comedies, died in a nursing home in Minneapolis after a battle with lung and brain cancer. He was 71."

Sad to see this.

Tomovoz

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2005, 02:04:37 PM »

TOTD:
DVDs:  Muppet Show - Season one.  "Porko Rosso"
CD:  Paul McCartney: "Chaos & Creation in the Backyard"
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up