Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SO FAR, SO GOOD  (Read 32945 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:SO FAR, SO GOOD
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2005, 03:29:06 PM »

Vixmom, check your (snail) mailbox in a few days! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2005, 03:31:16 PM »

Linda Eder bought A raffle ticket.  She can afford it.

To clarify, Linda Eder bought many raffle tickets.  And possibly because of this fact, the folks sitting at her table also bought multiple raffle tickets.  ;D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »

I read this amongst the list of requirements for US citizenship

"Language

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. "

You MUST be a US citizen to vot e in a US election... or even just the local school budget

So WHY oh WHY did I go to my polling center this morning to see

"Vote Aqui"  signs plastered all over and only ONE lonely "Vote Here" sign?   Why did I receive in the mail a voter's registration card that was entirely in Spanish on one side and English on the reverse?

I am becoming increasingly infuriated with seeing this country bend over backwards to accomodate one set of immigrants over all the other groups which have and are entering this country.  Why not Korean? Or Vietnamese? or Farsi? or Hindi? Italian? German? Hungarian? Russian? Hebrew? Egyptian? the list goes on and on.....

I believe that this "enabling behavior" only marginalizes the people in that community both by keeping them  "out of the mainstream" (as it is much  easier to stay where the language comes easy)  and secondly by angering the general populace who themselves had to learn the English language when they came here or are the children of those who did

Surely I am not the only one to whom this seems to be a problem... or am I?  

I hear your point but I think it is an issue with many sides. People do have to have a certain amount of English in order to pass a citizenship exam, but I don't know that it requires people to become fluent and so many people who are probably most comfortable in their native language continue to use it.  And I think it brings up different feelings for those who continue to use their native language and those who primarily use english.  I think that something is marginalizing only as long as the person within the experience feels it that way.  Some may interpret the bilingual signage as a comforting and welcoming sign.  Others may see it as condescending.

My two cents.  :)

td

• td
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2005, 03:42:30 PM »

(BJ on Tour, we call it)?

:-X
My lips are sealed, unless this has something to do with Greg Evigan and a bear.  . .Paging TCB!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2005, 03:43:26 PM »

DR Vixmom:  Politicians (i.e. Congress) see Mexican-Americans as the single most lucrative voting bloc out there and what you see in the polling places reflects their bid to woo the voter whose first language is Spanish.

I am with you, however.  To be a citizen of this country, you should be able to read, write and converse in English.

I also believe citizenship should be required of all parents whose children use our schools and for anyone/everyone on the public dole.

Call me non-PC, but call me a patriot!

Sorry but with me you get the social worker perspective.  ;) I actually have a lot of opinions about required citizenship, but I'll keep them mostly to myself.  I do want to say however, that citizenship is required for anyone on the "public dole."  You cannot receive welfare benefits or social services of any kind unless you are a citizen of this country.  Since the welfare reform act of 1996.

td

• td
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2005, 03:44:30 PM »

Actually Debby
and I became a Mann the day I was married

. . .and many DRs would be happy to tell you about the day that they became a MAN.   :-X

td

• td
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2005, 03:48:43 PM »

Here's hoping DR Ann feels better soon. . .

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2005, 03:54:43 PM »

And re: that DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES link.

Did they give too much information?

(don't read below if you don't want to know what it said).

Did we know he was a fugitive from the law?

I know that we saw them watching a case on tv.  But why would a fugitive have to be locked in the basement?

More spoilers:

I did get the impression that he had committed a crime and that the family was protecting him/covering for him.  I also got the impression from comments to the effect of, he didn't know any better, that he might be mentally retarded or have some other kind of developmental disorder that helped to create the situation he was running from- and that that is why they had to keep him locked up.

Those were my thoughts.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2005, 03:59:10 PM »

Thank you everyone for the good luck quiz vibes.  I think I did pretty well, and I believe that I only missed one question about the primary feature of amnestic disorder.  I believe that I instead selected the secondary feature and so I will be four points short of my perfect score.

In the event that anyone ever comes to me with amnestic disorder, I will have the DSM IV ready and waiting, so hopefully this will not be an issue that plagues me throughout my professional career! :)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2005, 03:59:30 PM »

Good health vibes to Ann and stay awake at work vibes to Jed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2005, 04:24:52 PM »

And re: that DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES link.

Did they give too much information?

(don't read below if you don't want to know what it said).
Did we know he was a fugitive from the law?

I know that we saw them watching a case on tv.  But why would a fugitive have to be locked in the basement?

Exactly what Tpunk said.

Yes, we knew.  Well, I did.  And she did.

A couple of shows ago, the woman and son were watching TV and saw that another man had been arrested for a crime they believed the person in the basement to have committed.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2005, 04:26:39 PM »

Sorry but with me you get the social worker perspective.  ;) I actually have a lot of opinions about required citizenship, but I'll keep them mostly to myself.  I do want to say however, that citizenship is required for anyone on the "public dole."  You cannot receive welfare benefits or social services of any kind unless you are a citizen of this country.  Since the welfare reform act of 1996.

I know you have family here, so you probably know the situation in California pretty well.

I'll take your word about the citizenship requirements for public welfare.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #222 on: November 08, 2005, 05:10:42 PM »

Good Evening!

What show am I working on this week?

;)

What a wonderful first day of rehearsal for Damn Yankees.  The day started off with a sort of social hour before we all settled into the theatre for the official welcomes, introductions and designer presentations.  Arena invites the members of their Board of Directors and some of their more "prosperous" donors to the first day of rehearsal for their shows throughout the season.  And we had a very full house today.

And we had some special guests today too.  There were three gentlemen from the DC Baseball Historical Society, as well as one of the only Washington Senators to have a batting average above .300!   They were brought in by the dramaturgy department to help provide some actual history.  Again, very cool!  Oh!  And we'll be having an actual former baseball announcer taping the announcements for the show too!

....And then we all headed over to the rehearsal hall for the read-thru and some more detailed info on the set and costume designs.   And then we were done.  A very nice - and short - first day.

*And, tomorrow, I'm only called from 4:30-6:00.  Nice! :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:11:36 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #223 on: November 08, 2005, 05:15:39 PM »

Yesterday was very frustrating thanks to the early snowfall.  As beautiful as it is we weren’t ready for it.  Keith spent the morning, with the rest of the crowds, getting studded tires on his car so I could drive to my afternoon doctor’s appointment.  Then he spent the rest of the day shoveling the driveway so it would be spotless this morning for the truck to come deliver our cabinets.  Finally, way after it was dark, Keith walked in the house just as our power went out.  

I spent a good part of the day on the phone dealing with other assorted things that went wrong around here.

The power returned in time to record MEDIUM.

Today was a better day, the sun was shining and the cabinets have been delivered, well all but the missing two items.  And the vegetables didn’t freeze in the refrigerator.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #224 on: November 08, 2005, 05:15:55 PM »

OH!  And the costumes should be amazing!  -Let's just say that the costume shop will be very, very, very busy over the next four and a half weeks.

And it turns out our costume designer, the amazing (and Tony winning) Martin Pakledinaz, is also working on the upcoming Broadway revival of The Pajama Game.  -He's working on both Adler and Ross shows back to back.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:18:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2005, 05:20:56 PM »

I am still wondering if it is a coincidence that my name is Jack Randall - neither of the names belongs to ANYONE else in my ancestral family....but there is a B-movie cowboy with the name.....I just don't know...and nobody is saying nothin' !!

Right now I'm listening to a CD called "Bill Charlap Plays George Gershwin:  The American Soul."  I was browsing through the booklet and I just happened to glance through the Special Thanks at the back and one of the people who is thanked is Jack Randall!  Is this just a coincidence or are YOU, our very own JRand55, the actual person who is thanked?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: November 08, 2005, 05:21:40 PM »

DR Jane - Here's to better days.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #227 on: November 08, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »

What really tightens my jaws is anytime someone implies she did not earn the Supporting Actress Oscar for "My Cousin Vinny."  She was flat-out brilliant in the film and she was far more worthy than many actresses who have copped nominations and Oscars.

I agree :D

Jane

« Reply #228 on: November 08, 2005, 05:29:22 PM »

Thanks Jose.  Thank goodness most days are better.

Jane

« Reply #229 on: November 08, 2005, 05:34:25 PM »

The weirdest thing happened.  I'm reading this book called Something Blue (by Emily Giffin).  It's summer 2005 so I knew I hadn't read it before. But it seemed so familiar and it was driving me crazy.  Anyhow I just looked up her first book (Something Borrowed) and it says that the 2nd book (the one I'm reading now) is the same story but told from another character's point of view.

Now why on earth does it not say anything about that on the book jacket?!?!  I thought I was going crazy.  But in one of the first chapters we have our narrator (Darcy) walking in on her fiancee and her best friend (he was hiding in the closet).  But in book 1 the narrator was the best friend!  I actually wish that I hadn't read the first book so long ago!

LOL.  You would think something that important would be on the book cover.  At least the story is a rip-off of one of her own novels.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: November 08, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »

And just in case I "need" to pass on greetings to anyone...

Brad Oscar - Applegate
Matt Bogart - Joe Hardy
Meg Gillentine - Lola
Lawrence Redmond - Joe Boyd
Kay Walbye - Meg Boyd
Cindy Marchionda - Gloria Thorpe

J. Fred Shiffman - Welch
Michael L. Forrest - Van Buren
Stephen F. Schmidt - Lynch
Harry A. Winter - Postmaster
Christopher Bloch - Commissioner
Rayanne Gonzales - Sister
Tracy Lynn Olivera - Miss Weston
Lynn McNutt - Doris

Ensemble-
Kate Arnold
Philip Michael Baskerville
Kevin M. Burrows
Michelle Liu Coughlin
Steven Cupo
Drew DiStefano
Parker Esse
Michael S. Goddard
Deanna Harris
Ellyn Marie Marsh
Shaun R. Parry
Christina Lynn Phillips
Diego Prieto
Kim Shriver
Stephen Gregory Smith
John Leslie Wolfe

It's a great mix of New York and DC area actors; stage veterans and up-and-comers; Broadway babies, chorus gypsies.

...And we'll be adding a group of 8 to 10 children at each performance.  That's gonna one crowded greenroom!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #231 on: November 08, 2005, 05:46:36 PM »

LOL.  You would think something that important would be on the book cover.  At least the story is a rip-off of one of her own novels.

Well... I believe the books were planned as a series.  So.... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2005, 05:49:02 PM »

Okay I must admit I am married to a non citizen so half the time the Vixter would have to stay out of school if citizen ship was required to attend   ;D

Recently someone told me if the father, not mother, was born in England the child can apply for dual citizenship.  Have you heard this?  

And good vibes to the young man in your area.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2005, 05:53:49 PM »

DR elmore - Maybe I somehow missed it...  Are the charts you're working on for Mario Frangoulis for an upcoming concert or recording?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2005, 05:55:41 PM »

OH!

I'm only called in for rehearsal tomorrow from 4:30-6:00!

-Hopefully, I won't end spending the first part of the day playing the "Where's My Check?!?!" game.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2005, 05:56:18 PM »

Joy, I took your suggestion and steamed my vegetables on top of the basmati.  The pot I use for the basmati has its own steamer, yet I never thought to cook them at the same time.    Keith commented the basmati taste especially good.  Thank you.

Jane

« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2005, 06:00:48 PM »

Jose AM or PM?

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #237 on: November 08, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »

And just in case I "need" to pass on greetings to anyone...

Ensemble-
Kate Arnold
Philip Michael Baskerville
Kevin M. Burrows
Michelle Liu Coughlin
Steven Cupo
Drew DiStefano
Parker Esse
Michael S. Goddard
Deanna Harris
Ellyn Marie Marsh
Shaun R. Parry
Christina Lynn Phillips
Diego Prieto
Kim Shriver
Stephen Gregory Smith
John Leslie Wolfe

Oooh, please give Michelle Coughlin a huge hug for me and tell her Joy Dewing says hi!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #238 on: November 08, 2005, 06:01:47 PM »

Joy, I took your suggestion and steamed my vegetables on top of the basmati.  The pot I use for the basmati has its own steamer, yet I never thought to cook them at the same time.    Keith commented the basmati taste especially good.  Thank you.

Yay, you're so welcome!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #239 on: November 08, 2005, 06:03:45 PM »

So can we play the Avatar game, in which everyone explains who and what their avatars represent?  For example, Jane, is that you and Keith, or just a couple of crazy kids?  Am I dense for not recognizing those two people?  Jose, where was your pic taken?  And so on.  Lovely, thanks ever so.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up