Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: SO FAR, SO GOOD  (Read 32018 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SO FAR, SO GOOD
« on: November 08, 2005, 12:08:47 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've said so far, so good, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're so far, and that's so good.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 12:11:31 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SO FAR, SO GOOD
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 12:10:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: PORTENTOUS!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 12:24:31 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... Down to one computer now, my laptop.  Whew!

Thankfully, the first rehearsal for Damn Yankees does not start until 11:30, so I'll still be able to get a nice chunk of sleep in over the next couple of hours.  -Actually, there's coffee and bagels at 11:30; the actually meet and greet will not start until Noon.  *Plus, the day will be ending at 5:00, so, if needed, I can catch up my winks later tonight/tomorrow/??...  In any case...

I'm still up...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 12:27:28 AM »

BK - Hmmm... Knowing how your orchestrator can get when he's frustrated...  I can only imagine what would have happened if he had stayed around.  -And I bet he had some choice words as it was.  I hope everything turns out fine once Vinnie gets his hands and ears on the project.

*And I had forgotten that Alet was expecting - I can't remember who I first heard the news from - maybe it was you.  In any case, please pass on my greetings and congratulations to her and Andy.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 12:30:34 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

That's a lot to think about.  A lot.

Overall, if there was some way for everyone involved to stop making decisions based on the possible profits - money - then that would provide opportunities for all sorts of movies, plays and musicals to get on their feet in front of an audience.  In other words, the whole business aspect of a project should be the LAST thing discussed, not the first nor the second or even the third.  Inspiration, creativity and education should be at the forefront.

And maybe like the sports leagues do now... A salary cap - ???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 12:32:51 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 12:31:19 AM »

Nothing portentous or polite!

I have heard so many people perform this song and very few get this word correct.  Most sing "pretentious" and several have sung "portentious," a combination of the two. :P GET IT RIGHT PEOPLE!!  Zero never sung it incorrectly!  For once, listen to the CD (reissued by our very own BK) or the album or watch the movie.

And that is the end of my Tuesday morning rant. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:35:23 AM »

And on that note - a high G - I think I shall get ready for bed...

And my apologies if I was being be PORTENTOUS and/or PRETENTIOUS last night.  A side effect of my procrastination.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:36:36 AM »

OH!...

DR elmore - So glad to hear that Dylan finally was diagnosed with something definite.  -Hmm... "glad" to hear that he has mono... ??  Hmm...  In any case... I hope that part of your mind is at ease now.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 12:37:46 AM »

Let's see...it's 12:36 PST, I still have some laundry to do (socks and underwear that must[/i] be done now ;)), I have to fill in my absentee ballot (we don't have a choice for this one...everyone has to vote by absentee ballot) AND I have to get to sleep after I take out my contact lenses.  So, I'm going to Wussburger now.  Goodnight, all.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 12:40:59 AM »

Well, in truth, it wasn't MY orchestrator.  It was my first experience in the studio with this particular orchestrator - a very nice fellow, but not one I normally would want in the room if I was working with Vinnie.  Too nitpicky too quick - I don't blame him in the least for his frustration, though, and we spoke on the phone afterwards and he was fine.  I have two ways to go when this sort of thing happens on really rare occasions:  In NY, it happened on one of the first albums we did, and I stopped the session, threw the engineer out of the room, and brought in another engineer.  That, however, was a rhythm date and wasn't on the clock, as it were.  I did think about calling Vinnie and telling him to come over, but that would have presented itself with a whole slew of other problems.  So, I bit my tongue, and just got through the session and mix as best I could without letting tempers flare.  I think that was the best way to handle it.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 12:42:02 AM by bk »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 04:45:11 AM »

Good morning, all!  Hurray!  Tom Murray is back in town and we are back to Toyland!  Hopefully, within the next two months, we will send the new editions of vocal and orchestra scores to the printer and wend our way to THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER or p'raps some Jerome Kern.

I picked up a bit of my work for tenor Mario Frangoulis, who's better than Josh Groban I think, and I have a lot of work for the next week or so.  

DRCharlesPogue, I also love the song "There's a lull in my life."

DRJason, how did "Meadowlark" sound live?  It's my orchestration. and I've only heard it in bits and pieces in the studio and the final mix on Liz' "On and Off Broadway" recording.  I've always wanted to hear it live in a real acoustic situation.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 04:47:18 AM »

Another Mario!  DRMBarnum, this is for you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 04:55:27 AM »

Jason said yesterday

Mr. Paolo Montalban, who sang "A Little Fall of Rain" with Ms. Salonga and a very forgettable solo number while she took a breather...

Maybe he didn't follow the old saying about Carnegie Hall
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:07:33 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 05:01:37 AM »

Election Day greetings from rainy SW Ohio!  I'm up early to vote and do some other errands and would prefer not to do them in the rain.  Oh, well.

Congratulations to DR Joy on a successful casting day yesterday!

Continued no-smoking vibes to DR Cillaliz!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 05:06:49 AM »

TOD

The first thing: I would do is refuse to pay actors their ridiculous acting fees, perks etc. Then the flm can be made for reasonable amount and make back their costs.

Second thing: Make "smaller" films for other age demographics.

Third thing: Cast the original actors from the plays or musicals. If they were good enough on stage then they should be good enough on film.

Fourth Thing: No fancy editing techniques or cinematography tricks (speed ups, jump editings) These are tiresome and really don't add anything to the film except some that the director is better at technique over content.

Fifth Thing: Music. No songs by the flavour sing or group of the day because who will remember them 10 or 20 years from. Just a reasonable good music score.  Like perhaps John Williams.

Sixth Thing: Balance film releases of the G, PG, PG-13 and R rated films.

and I am sure there are more.

Nice to dream isn't it?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 05:08:54 AM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2005, 05:31:52 AM »

TOD

The first thing: I would do is refuse to pay actors their ridiculous acting fees, perks etc. Then the flm can be made for reasonable amount and make back their costs.

Second thing: Make "smaller" films for other age demographics.

Third thing: Cast the original actors from the plays or musicals. If they were good enough on stage then they should be good enough on film.

Fourth Thing: No fancy editing techniques or cinematography tricks (speed ups, jump editings) These are tiresome and really don't add anything to the film except some that the director is better at technique over content.

Fifth Thing: Music. No songs by the flavour sing or group of the day because who will remember them 10 or 20 years from. Just a reasonable good music score.  Like perhaps John Williams.

Sixth Thing: Balance film releases of the G, PG, PG-13 and R rated films.

and I am sure there are more.

Nice to dream isn't it?

While I agree with a lot of what DRMichaelShayne says, I don't agree about casting the original stage performers in the film adaptation:  I've seen several stage actors who are unable to tone down a performance onscreen:  the LAW & ORDER franchise uses many of them, and I prefer Rita Moreno in a closeup to Chita Rivera any day!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2005, 05:35:36 AM »

TOD:
1. I would leave out the coarse language.
2. I would not make movies with Saturday Night Live comics.
3. I would leave out the sex scenes.
4. I would not make movies out of tv shows.
5. I would not make a cheesy remake of a classic film.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2005, 05:36:58 AM »

How unlucky for us!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 05:42:08 AM »

..."glad" to hear that he has mono... ??
If two people have mono together, does that mean they have stereo?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 05:44:13 AM »

While I agree with a lot of what DRMichaelShayne says, I don't agree about casting the original stage performers in the film adaptation:  I've seen several stage actors who are unable to tone down a performance onscreen:  the LAW & ORDER franchise uses many of them, and I prefer Rita Moreno in a closeup to Chita Rivera any day!

I think the problem with Chita is that she's done basically nothing in her long career as far as screen work is concerned.  She never picked up any chops.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2005, 05:50:18 AM »

TOD:
...3. I would leave out the sex scenes...
ULP!!!

Of course, this involves a discussion of what a "sex scene" is, exactly.  Do you mean a romantic scene between a woman and a man (or a hypothetical other combination), or do you mean the full boinky captured on film?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 05:52:24 AM »

...I picked up a bit of my work for tenor Mario Frangoulis, who's better than Josh Groban I think, and I have a lot of work for the next week or so....
Der Brucer and I have heard his work, and enjoyed it.  Unfortunately, the disc we got was also enjoyed by Fletcher, who just ate him up!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2005, 05:55:11 AM »

Today is National Harvey Wallbanger Day.

Nostalgia, anyone?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2005, 06:04:41 AM »

TOD:

If I ran a studio, I would make sure that each script was literate, fully realized and the vision of one sole screenwriter (or a strongly aligned team of two)  before it ever went into production.  I would employ writers who understood that a good screenplay was more than a bunch of pages of dialogue with some plot twists.  I would want writers who understood the use of language and the development of characters along with the ability to tell imaginative stories.  I would free the writers of such focus group crap such as always having an upbeat ending.  That's what I would do.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2005, 06:06:07 AM »

Today is National Harvey Wallbanger Day.

Nostalgia, anyone?

"Who wants a highball?"
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2005, 06:20:10 AM »

Hi all.  Last night I volunteered at the annual benefit for a Only Make Believe, a most fabulous organization that brings interactive theater to children in hospitals and out patient treatment.  While there I got to talk to Haley Mills (directed her to the ladies room), Dena Hammerstein, Linda Eder (sold her raffle tickets) and as a bonus, Josh Lucas smiled at me (good lord is he easy on the eyes).

It was a lot of fun and I felt like I was personally able to raise a lot of money for the organization.  During the reception, my job was to work my way around the room with a cigarette girl type tray and a feather boa and sell raffle tickets.  My powers of persuation were at their peak and I made about $1500!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2005, 06:20:40 AM »

And my boa matched the pink streak in my hair :)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2005, 06:21:29 AM »

And now I must get ready for school, otherwise I shall be late.  Wish me luck on my quiz!!

td

• td
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2005, 06:42:20 AM »

I, DR td, hope that none of my job news is distressing or portentous!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

FJL

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 06:45:31 AM »

Just catching up on the posts from yesterday and today while my Internet explorer seems to be working fine for a while.  

Congratulations, TPunk, on your fund-raising success.    

And congrats Cillaliz on being nicotine-free.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up