Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BACK IS KILLING ME  (Read 27351 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:MY BACK IS KILLING ME
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2006, 05:02:08 PM »

Last night I went to a Broadway one-woman show, opening tonight, called BRIDGE AND TUNNEL. It features Sarah Jones, as a multicultural poetry jam. Now, the show isn't itself a poetry jam, Jones just plays various characters, all immigrants from different lands, performing at a poetry jam, only a couple of whom attempt real poems. It is somewhat endearing, some good laughs. She is definitely talented at taking on the differnt personae. It didn't blow my mind as entertainment, but it held my attention.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2006, 05:02:45 PM »

I think the hat would look smashing on me!
I guess this answers the question, does anyone still wear...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2006, 05:03:09 PM »

Off to dinner.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »

I mentioned Boston Blackie.  

I shall now be on my way to do a couple of errands.  From there, I shall be on my way to the theater for tonight's performance.  Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »

The new high powered "popemobile" is I believe a Vatican VIII.
Oh, a V-8.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2006, 05:20:23 PM »

Sad but true!
Another misguided effort by Ford to save their empire!
Or a misguided effort by me at making punny remarks.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2006, 05:28:07 PM »

Arrgh!  There was a huge back-up on the highway tonight and my 40-minute commute took me an hour and a half.  I never did see the cause, but I got off just as traffic was beginning to slow again.  Just think, I could still be sitting there!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »

One thing I could do without is my current bachache.

For one thing, it hurts.

For another, I can't help feeling like I'm copying our esteemed BK.  He doesn't need my detracting from his originality like that.

One thing I could do with more of, is the weekly visit from some of our local schoolkids.

These are a class of developmentally disabled youths, who are being taught some basic survival skills, such as how to shop at a supermarket and pay for their purchases.  I had two of the lads come to my register today.  One had a real problem understanding the quantity of money involved - his purchase, a bunch of carrots, came to 99 cents, and instead of handing me a dollar he insisted on handing me an entire wad of bills.  His teacher had to quietly but firmly try to get him to understand how much he needed to pay.  I don't think she was getting through.

The other young man had several purchases, and interacted with me quite well.  The teacher gave him a little assitance in handling a credit card, but he didn't need too much help.  And, at the end of the transaction, when I said "Have a pleasant afternoon," he beamed when he said "Thank-you!"  And, after a moment, he said "You, too!"

With that, I didn't care about my backache.  Well, for about ten minutes.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2006, 05:37:41 PM »

Time to get dinner made.  Later.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2006, 05:51:41 PM »

So, I'm off to pack up the dishes I don't use very often and to call and see if Dominos has a chocolate pizza!

DRCillaliz, I like the sound of that, chocolate pizza!!

DRJason, I send good vibes your way. Take care!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »

Arrgh!  There was a huge back-up on the highway tonight and my 40-minute commute took me an hour and a half.  I never did see the cause, but I got off just as traffic was beginning to slow again.  Just think, I could still be sitting there!

Yikes, that is not fun Ginny....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2006, 06:07:12 PM »

Good morning, all!  I don't have much today, chiefly a trip to the Horace Mann School to see goddaughter Charlotte's dance recital this afternoon.
Before that, I've got a trek to the office for some Toyland work and then the NYPL for another look at the new Kurt Weill Edition.

There is a Man School in New York?  My God, think of the number of scholarships I could award.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2006, 06:13:37 PM »

Mmmm...I could use a chocolate pizza right now.

I just got a very supportive phone call from my dad, who just spoke with my mother about last night's conversation. I'm still not entirely sure where we all stand in the outing process, but I certainly feel exposed. He was very supportive but made his position clear on how he feels about homosexuality, as if I didn't already know. Anyway, he said they just want me to be happy and healthy and he recognizes that I'm nearly 30 and I'll make my own decisions and he hopes I'll make the "right" one. He didn't flip out. He didn't threaten to never speak to me again. He just told me to take it one step at a time. One foot in front of the other. I still don't know where that puts us, but it opens the door for communication, I suppose.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2006, 06:25:18 PM »

I found Bricusse's Sherlock Holmes rather dreadful.  The only good thing is that he appropriated London is London from Goddbye, Mr. Chips for it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2006, 06:37:31 PM »

Jason I’m glad your father is supportive and in your mother’s odd way it seemed to me she was attempting that last night.

Children usually don’t live the lives parents choose for them, and you know what…. most parents adjust.  What is important to parents is their children are happy and feel good about themselves and are nice people.  Well nice person, while difficult I’m sure you will get through this a stronger person.  Good, good vibes.

Go visit Jose this weekend and have fun.

Jane

« Reply #195 on: January 26, 2006, 06:41:06 PM »

Elmore, yes we saw BLEAKHOUSE.  Did you find it difficult to hear at times?  Keith being totally unfamiliar with the story had trouble following at times.  

Ginny Im also interested in the Billy Joel book.  I work out to his music almost every day.

Jennifer

« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2006, 06:48:05 PM »

Hmmm, interesting Samantha Harris (host of Dancing With the Stars) was interviewing P Master on the show.  She took him to task, asking why he had only practiced 20 hours total (for 4 weeks) when the others averaged 130 hours.

I almost think if he put in the time he could do better.  I tend to think America might be annoyed at him for this. Cause besides the judges being mean to him, I think most people thought that he was trying so hard but just not as good as the others.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2006, 06:49:39 PM »

Oh gosh..Sajid Khan... he was dreamy...  *sigh*

I wonder if I still have my old 16 Magazine pinups

:)

Who is...........or was..............Sajid Khan?
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2006, 06:52:20 PM »

Ginny Im also interested in the Billy Joel book.  I work out to his music almost every day.

Well, Jane (and others who've asked) the "story" is just the lyrics to his song New York State of Mind.  But the watercolor illustrations by someone named Izak are stunning.  There is a little dog in each picture and his adventures make a little story, too.  There is a companion CD single of the song in the back of the book.  Billy Joel's dedication reads:

"This book is for everyone who lives in New York or who comes and falls in love with it.  No matter where you go in the world, you never really leave New York and it never really leaves you."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »

Tomovoz, I hope there weren’t any fires last night and the rain helped some.

Elmore and Ron thanks for the updates on Jose.

Lately I have been binging on junk food and too much chocolate.  It finally got to me and I plan to diet this week.  Even if I hadn’t intended to diet today I would have-barely had time to eat.

Cillaliz I’m so excited for you.  Good vibes for a smooth closing.

Ginny

« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2006, 06:54:57 PM »

Jason, I agree with Jane - go to Washington and take full advantage of your role as MTI rep!

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2006, 06:55:58 PM »

Hmmm, interesting Samantha Harris (host of Dancing With the Stars) was interviewing P Master on the show.  She took him to task, asking why he had only practiced 20 hours total (for 4 weeks) when the others averaged 130 hours.

I almost think if he put in the time he could do better.  I tend to think America might be annoyed at him for this. Cause besides the judges being mean to him, I think most people thought that he was trying so hard but just not as good as the others.

DR Jennifer, I'm not voting for him this week.  Last week I thought he was trying. I don't think that anymore.  I still don't like the judges, but they were nicer over all than last time

Jane

« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »

Ginny the book sounds sweet.  The artist name is familiar to me, just can't place it.

Jason

« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2006, 06:58:24 PM »

Just got a message from DR Jose: He's having fun in San Francisco and I believe he said he's just about to head into the theatre...?

Providing it's not too stressful for him, what with four shows this weekend and just returning from SF, I think I am going to go visit him. I miss him and want to see him and I need the company and I want to see his show and at least one of the Smithsonian museums, so I think I'm gonna spend the $20 for the scary chicken bus out of Chinatown and hie myself away for the weekend.

And then, of course, I'm off to Boston again next weekend... I'm becoming quite the traveler!

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2006, 06:59:30 PM »

DR Jason - go for it and have a wonderful trip.

Ginny

« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2006, 07:00:27 PM »

Ginny the book sounds sweet.  The artist name is familiar to me, just can't place it.

The blurb on the jacket says his work appears frequently in leading fashion magazines and ad campaigns for Henri Bendel and Neiman Marcus.

Jane

« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2006, 07:04:58 PM »

Good back vibes to everyone who needs them!!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2006, 07:05:40 PM »

Loved Mike Myers in that skit...

However my favorite SNL skit is cowbell!!  "I need more cowbell"

http://www.bustedtees.com/product.php?name=morecowbell

Jane

« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2006, 07:07:45 PM »

Keith is ready to watch something-'night.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2006, 07:08:09 PM »

DR TPunk, Charlotte and I want to see TRISTAN AND ISOLDE on Saturday night.  Do you want to come with us?

Thank you for the invite! I am tempted, but my weekend is once again filled up with the training of 10 potential hotline counselors at GMHC.  Can I say maybe and then decide on Saturday depending upon the time we finish up and my level of exhaustion?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up