Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES  (Read 21279 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:WE NOW RETURN YOU TO THE REGULARLY SCHEDULED NOTES
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »

Who here saw PRIDE AND PREJUDICE with Keira Knightley (either at the movies or on DVD)? I love the story, so I've been very tempted to get this now instead of waiting to see it on HBO (or whichever pay cable channel will feature it in six months or so).

Just curious to know others' reactions to this version, especially if you saw either the Greer Garson original or the masterful 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

I also have seen the BBC version and I really enjoyed it also
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2006, 11:37:25 AM »

Graceful page 4 dance
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2006, 11:38:06 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

A very slow morning for me this morning.  I believe the malady that has been "hinting" at me the past two weeks has finally hit.  In other words, I think I have a cold.  Well, at least a good case of the sniffles.

I was planning on heading down to Richmond today to do some excavation in my storage unit, but I think that shall have to wait until tomorrow.  Or later.

But in the meantime...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2006, 11:39:18 AM »

'Morning all!  

I was wondering the same thing, DR Matt.  I have the BBC version you mentioned on DVD and I just LOVE it.  In fact, now that you mentioned it, I shall have to watch it again.  

I was also thinking of just buying the new version even though I didn't go to the movies to see it.  

Vixmom, could you please email/PM me your address so I can send you a check for some GS Cookies?   I know I want some of those shortbread cookies.

Does anyone else besides me like them cold?  I like to put them in the fridge.

I like the thin mint ones cold...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2006, 11:40:44 AM »

In my CD player:  Lionel Bart's fings ain't wot they used t'be.  After that will be "Miss Gulch Returns:  The Wicked Musical," written and performed by Fred Barton. ;D

In my VCR at home:  tapes to tape all of tonight's shows...six hours' worth!  I'm taping this much because tonight I'm going to see a high school production of Sweet Charity.  The girl playing Charity is the daughter of a co-worker and I said that I would go see it...mainly because I've never seen the stage show.  It should be at least okay.  I don't think that it'll be horrible. ;)

In my DVD player:  new things from Netflix that I can't remember at the moment.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2006, 11:45:31 AM »

The obnoxious little despot who runs the Home Theater Forum, a site filled with idiocy of the highest order, where "reviewers" mangle English, don't know what they're talking about, etc.,  has just posted a mini-review of Dog Day Afternoon, a film he loves.  That's fine - I love it, too.  What is astonishing is that he then lists his four favorite films of ALL TIME (emphasis his and mine).  Of ALL TIME, mind you.  The list:

Glory (Columbia)
1776 (Columbia)
Dog Day Afternoon (Warner)
Braveheart (Paramount)

Of ALL TIME.  Braveheart.  Glory.  I know it's all subjective, but I mean that list just makes me want to vomit on the ground.  Of ALL TIME.  This is a guy who admits that prior to DVD he had never seen a classic film.  Whatever one may think of Braveheart and Glory (and I don't think much of them), there is something terrible awry if those are one's favorite films of ALL TIME.  

Braveheart and Glory are among my favorites... Wonderfully done...

I do have to say Mel did look nice in a KILT.. Ironic thing about Braveheart, it is a movie that is based in Scotland but it filmed for the most part in Ireland.

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2006, 11:45:33 AM »

I just remembered to turn the page on my calander.  I am looking at a picture of the beautiful  Royal Exhibition Building inMelbourne.  Thank you Tomovoz!

A "temporary" structure to house Australia's first national Parliament in 1901.  It is much loved here  and is one of only two Australian buildings with World Heritage listing.
(The Second is the Sydney Opera House)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2006, 11:47:43 AM »

In my CD player:  Lionel Bart's fings ain't wot they used t'be.  After that will be "Miss Gulch Returns:  The Wicked Musical," written and performed by Fred Barton. ;D

Fred's my neighbor; he lives in the building next to mine.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - Chipotle is a Tex-Mex fast-food joint.  Burritos, Fajita Bowls, Tacos, and Salads.  It's a very basic and limited menu, but the selection of salsas and other condiments ups the variety.  Basically, you pick your protein: Beef, Chicken, Pork, Black or Pinto Beans.  Pick your "platform": burrito, taco shells (hard or soft), lettuce (for salad).  Then get them dressed up with a choice of salsas, cheese and sour cream.  Everything is assembled, nothing is cooked (like a quesadilla).

It's good, filling food, and pretty easy of the wallet. Additionally, the chicken is free-range, the beef and pork are anti-biotic free, etc.

Oh, and it's owned by the McDonald's corporation.  There are even some side-by-side operations here and there.  At the MCI Center in DC, Chipotle and McDonald's have separate counter areas, but share lobby and seating areas (and bathrooms).

*And I believe that Chipotle's healthier menu has influenced McDonald's recent healthier trend too.  Of course, if both chains can buy all their chicken breasts from one supplier and save a couple of bucks per gross in the process, that's probably not a bad deal either.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »

I totally understand if Glory and Braveheart are favorite films.  I don't understand how they could be on any list of anyone's four favorite films of ALL TIME.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2006, 11:58:30 AM »

DR DakotaCelt - Chipotle is a Tex-Mex fast-food joint.  Burritos, Fajita Bowls, Tacos, and Salads.  It's a very basic and limited menu, but the selection of salsas and other condiments ups the variety.  Basically, you pick your protein: Beef, Chicken, Pork, Black or Pinto Beans.  Pick your "platform": burrito, taco shells (hard or soft), lettuce (for salad).  Then get them dressed up with a choice of salsas, cheese and sour cream.  Everything is assembled, nothing is cooked (like a quesadilla).

It's good, filling food, and pretty easy of the wallet. Additionally, the chicken is free-range, the beef and pork are anti-biotic free, etc.

Oh, and it's owned by the McDonald's corporation.  There are even some side-by-side operations here and there.  At the MCI Center in DC, Chipotle and McDonald's have separate counter areas, but share lobby and seating areas (and bathrooms).

*And I believe that Chipotle's healthier menu has influenced McDonald's recent healthier trend too.  Of course, if both chains can buy all their chicken breasts from one supplier and save a couple of bucks per gross in the process, that's probably not a bad deal either.

It sounds good. I wonder if Fargo will ever get one. They just remodeled one of the McDonald's here to reflect a retro McDonalds. Rather cool actually.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2006, 12:00:27 PM »

CONTINUING WITH "LOST" SPOILERS!!:

And re: wednesday's LOST.

I loved most of it.  It was the best backstory ever!  Well what a creative idea to do the backstory as claire's missing weeks. I loved that.  It was riveting. I loved how the french woman played into the story. And how they (claire/kate/danielle) all went to find the serum.

The only part of the show that took me down was the actual ending. And the locke/eko/guy locked up parts.  I just wasn't that interesting to me.

And where the heck is michael. He has been gone for weeks!
And where was charlie? They didn't even show him.I think he would care that the baby was sick.

There are just so many characters that we can go episodes without seeing them (no jin, charlie or ana lucia). Sometimes i wonder if they just write out those who are on press tours in LA and NYC!

Oh and one more thing about the backstory. I never could have imagined that that was what had happened to claire while she was gone. Crazy.

All the time I was watching this, I was wondering if Claire was going to remember how her relationship was with Charlie before her amnesia...if her current attitude towards him would change after she remembered what he/they were like before.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2006, 12:02:38 PM »

bk, what did you think of the cinematrography of Braveheart?

Other films that I like are Somewhere in Time, Double Indemnity (I buried the tape last night--- MY stupid vcr ate it....sniff! :(  ), Pride and Prejudice  {BBC Version}, most of the shakespearean type movies especially with Sr. John Gielgud.  I have mixed opinions on  the Kenneth Branagh versions.

I also liked Secret of Roan Inish

Working on a paper for my anthropology class on native american images in popular culture and I am looking for several films...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:04:08 PM by DakotaCelt »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2006, 12:05:53 PM »

Friday Media Check:

Car CD: THe Eagles Greatest Hits
CD player: Sweeney Todd, Micheal Collins and Lisa Lynne
DVD: Mona Lisa Smile
VHS: Doctor Who: Shada

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2006, 12:06:32 PM »

Friday Media Check:

Stevie Wonder - "The Definitive Collection" - ...Which is far from being "definitive", but it is a nice collection.

Little Women - OCR

The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - OCR

"Sondheim Sings, Vol. 1"

"Midnight Moods" - One of those two-disc compilations from XM in London.  They put out a bunch of different ones, and they're usually on sale for $10 for the two-disc sets.  Fun stuff, and very eclectic.  For instance, on the first disc of "Midnight Moods", you get to hear Joan Armatrading, The Captain & Tenille, and Lionel Richie all within the first couple of tracks.

Jason Robert Brown - "Wearing Someone Else's Clothes" - I'm gonna have to give this disc a few more listens.  And it's also nice to have a "clean" recording of "I Could Be In Love With Someone Like You" which was cut from The Last Five Years before the show came into New York.

And I do have DVDs of "Like Water for Chocolate" and "Millions" on deck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:09:06 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »

OH!... And speaking of Jason Robert Brown... I just received this via e-mail:

Friday, March 3:  Make way for the Wonder Pets!  A new animated series on Nickelodeon, "Wonder Pets" sends Tuck Turtle,  Ming-Ming Duckling and Linny the Guinea Pig on adventures throughout the world to save animals in trouble.  And they rescue the animals in song!  Every episode is a twelve-minute operetta written by some of musical theater's finest.  The first episodes air on Friday 3/3, and JRB's episode (written with Larry Hochman), "Save the Unicorn!" premieres at 12 noon that day.  The whole show is unspeakably adorable.  Want more info?  Here's the Daily News article about the show's launch:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/story/393137p-333367c.html
[/size]

Sounds like something that DRs SWW and DerB may want to consider taping for their grandlads.

-And I'm sure DR elmore will be happy to see Larry Hochman's listed as lead composer.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:17:32 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2006, 12:19:13 PM »

OH!... And speaking of Jason Robert Brown... I just received this via e-mail:[/size]

Sounds like something that DRs SWW and DerB may want to consider taping for their grandlads.

-And I'm sure DR elmore will be happy to see Larry Hochman's listed as lead composer.

I believe Larry's supervising all of their 10-minute(?) musicals.  Good for him!

Have you all seen Michael Riedel's hysterically funny column about Harry Connick?

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/64553.htm
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2006, 12:19:31 PM »

DR Jose, have you read the book, Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel?

The movie is good and I heard she had a hand in the writing of the script.

I keep visualizing Gertrude on this horse with one of the men associated with Pancho Villa with scanty clothing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2006, 12:29:31 PM »

DR Jose, have you read the book, Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel?

The movie is good and I heard she had a hand in the writing of the script.

I keep visualizing Gertrude on this horse with one of the men associated with Pancho Villa with scanty clothing.

Yes, I have read the original book.  -Actually, I remember reading it while sitting in the East Garden Court of the National Gallery.  I was waiting in line for one of their free Sunday afternoon concerts - always a wonderful line-up of classical artists.  I believe I was either waiting in line to see Charles Rosen in an all-Beethoven recital, or Louis Lortie playing Chopin and Debussy.  Funny the things one remembers...

Oh, and I've made a few of the recipes too.  However, there's a restaurant in DC that will occasionally customize their menus to a currently running movie - especially if food is featured in the movie.  They started off with "Babette's Feast", then onto "Like Water For Chocolate"... The last one I remember was for "Big Night" - that timbale was truly delicioso!
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »

Good morning, all!  I'm listening to Leroy Anderson conducting his music.  This great CD set I have includes a lot of music from GOLDILOCKS, and I have become addicted to the "Lady in Waiting" ballet music, which is quite a wonderful variation on the song's melody.  Since this was an Agnes DeMille show, I'm wondering if the original dance arrangement was notated by Trude Rittmann for Anderson to compose, as she did for Weill on ONE TOUCH OF VENUS?

Today I hopefully finish Miss Karen Ziemba's chart and get back to Toyland full time.

TOD:
  CD:  Leroy Anderson, Lisa Richard, Guy Haines, some of the Classics for Pleaaure operetta discs
  DVD:  Mozart operas
  VCR:  for DR Jose, THE PLUMBER COMES

Mr Leroy Anderson is one of my favourite light music composers! If I'm not wrong, I do believe DR MattH helds him in high estime too!

When I was young -- quite a few years ago! -- and dreamed of becoming an animator (I tried but failed!), I came up with the idea of creating a new Fantasia sort of a movie using Mr Anderson's compositions! Inspite of his stern looks, this man composed some wonderful whimsical and evocative melodies!

Just had to share! :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:31:48 PM by François »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2006, 12:33:08 PM »

I believe Larry's supervising all of their 10-minute(?) musicals.  Good for him!

Have you all seen Michael Riedel's hysterically funny column about Harry Connick?

http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/64553.htm

:D

LOL

Nice to see Mr. Riedel in a not-so-vicious mode.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:36:49 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2006, 01:12:52 PM »

DR Danise, I think the make-up kit that was found is a definite hint that everything we've seen on the island is not to be taken literally. There is disguise and subtrafuge aplenty going on, all of it instigated by the Dharma Initiative.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2006, 01:17:22 PM »

While I prepared and ate lunch, I continued watching the Betty Grable CONEY ISLAND. Entertaining fluffy Fox musical.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 01:17:51 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »

Mr Leroy Anderson is one of my favourite light music composers! If I'm not wrong, I do believe DR MattH helds him in high estime too!

Yes, indeed I do! Have always loved his pieces. When I was in the high school band, I always looked forward to doing one or two of his works each year during our concert season. "Belle of the Ball," "The Waltzing Cat," "Buglers' Holiday," and on and on and on. One of the first CDs I bought when I started leaving LPs behind was the Arthur Fiedler Pops disc of some of his best works. Still adore listening to it.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »

I then watched some selected short programs and long programs from the Olympics (the ladies) having given myself a week or so of grace period since watching them. Again, there was some very lyrical skating but nothing electrifying this year.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2006, 01:28:01 PM »

Next up was LADY AND THE TRAMP. Yes, it does look and sound terrific, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I had forgotten how entertaining "He's a Tramp" was with the dogs providing very individualized accompaniment to Peggy Lee's vocal. I had this huge grin on my face from beginning to end of that sequence and replayed it because I enjoyed it so much.

I never realized that Peggy had supplied the voice of Darling. I knew she did the cats and, of course, Peg.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »

I was going to finish the afternoon with MY NAME IS EARL, but I had such a good time with LADY AND THE TRAMP that I put in the second disc and started watching "The Making of" documentary. It's almost an hour long, so I only got about 20 minutes of it watched, but it's always nice to see exactly who did what on these classic features.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2006, 01:31:59 PM »

The Harry Connick piece is hilarious!! Heck - and I'm not going to be able to fly in and see his chest... I do admire his music, his singing, his acting... wanna get a load of the bod!!
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »

I also saw in the "sneak peeks" on the LADY DVD that Disney is double-dipping with some of their classics this year.

Now THE LITTLE MERMAID, I can understand. The first release was at the beginning of the DVD format, and it was a single bare-bones disc (not sure if it was even anamorphic) and this new one with be another in their two disc platinum series.

But DUMBO? They did a 60th Anniversary release and spiffed up the picture then. I think this is carrying double dipping a bit too far, and I doubt seriously if I will be buying this one.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2006, 01:32:42 PM »

Off to walk my sister's dawg now - lately, that's the only exercise I get... byeeeeeeeee......
PennyO
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up