Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUR CREAM  (Read 26996 times)

Tomovoz

Re:SOUR CREAM
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2004, 02:00:28 PM »

JMK: Is it the Kauffman building or the "Dad" building?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2004, 02:00:40 PM »

Anyone who skates to Miklos Rozsa, the greatest film composer ever, is okay in my book.

On this we can agree wholeheartedly.  I cannot remember anyone ever skating to Rozsa at U.S. Nationals or Worlds or the Olympics.  I've often thought his suite for "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" would make a magnificent program for a fine skater.

But then there's "Diane" that breaks the heart each time I hear that theme....

And why hasn't anyone ever skated to "Providence" or "Fedora" or "Time After Time" -- there are sensational sections in all those scores tailor made for an exception skater wanting great music.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2004, 02:06:11 PM »

Hello! My name's Sarah! What's yours?!

Sarah is sleepy! I am one of those people who NEEDS to sleep in at least once a week. And by "sleep in", I mean wake up after 8 o'clock. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to do that this weekend or last, and it's catching up with me!

I worked from 9-3:30 today, went to Starbucks, and hung out with my new eye candy for a half hour. When I walked in, he was leaning against a wall with his arms folded, eyes closed, half asleep. I snuck up behind the counter and got about an inch away from his face, then whispered "Aaaaaaaadaaaaam...." He started grumbling about not wanting to wake up, and I then whispered something that probably shouldn't be printed on a family site. He woke right up :). I got my tea (FREE< since I'm now on the "friends" list :)) and chatted with my friend Jennifer who also works there.

And here I am, home FINALLY. This week is going to be kind of hectic, as I have exams. all week. But I should probably be able to find some time to post, since school lets out a lot earlier.

More in a few minutes: Parents are calling.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2004, 02:07:42 PM »

DR Swishy Sarah:  I very much look forward to your posting more.  You've been sorely missed.  Your perspectives have been woefully absent far too long.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »

No chat for me tonight. ALIAS in high definition is on at 9 p.m. First ALIAS in weeks cannot be missed. Supposedly, we're going to find out answers to many of the mysteries we've been puzzling over since the start of this season. Can't wait.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2004, 02:21:57 PM »

TCB, when did you live in Portland? And what part of town?

Speaking of stinky cities, has anyone ever driven past Albany, Oregon...holy smokes, those paper mills make is smell like something died and was burned on the spot!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2004, 02:22:18 PM »

And of course DRCharlesPogue "The Maltese Falcon" has Mary Astor AND Peter Lorre.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2004, 02:24:36 PM »

I just don't understand the logic behind recommending bad films as films one should see before he dies. I mean, if there's entertainment value to be had in the awfulness of a film (Ed Wood's creations come to mind), maybe there might be cause, but to recommend a movie that's just poorly done (THE CAT IN THE HAT, let's say, which seems to have appeared on more worst 10 lists this year than even GIGLI) without something of value seems like an utter waste of time to me.

S. Woody, let us know which Chaplin you picked. The Keaton-Chaplin comedy routine at the end of LIMELIGHT is still as priceless as ever.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2004, 02:31:38 PM »

What lovely postings from one and all and also all and one.  Just back from a nice long walk - it's really like summertime here.  Chat in two-and-a-half hours.  The stuff that dreams are made of.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2004, 02:33:19 PM »

Here is what is amusing, Jennifer: I had sixty-eight karma points (meaningless, of course, but there you are) - three of them disappeared, then two came back, and now one is missing.  I will only say that to think that I don't know who is doing what on this site would be folly.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2004, 02:35:14 PM »

DR Dan-In Toronto -- I found my copy of the Judy Holliday bio.  It is apparently a different bio than the one MattH found in his collection.  The one I have is called Judy Holliday: An Intimate Life Story by Gary Carey.  It was published in 1982 by Seaview Books.

If you aren't able to locate one, Dan, my offer still stands.

DR TCB,
That would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. I'll send you an e-mail.

My friend Patty and I met Judy Holliday when we were teenagers, and I'd like to find out more about her life.

We also met Eva Gabor, whose autobiography Patty once found in a second-hand-book store. More interesting than the book (Orchids and Salami - the two things Eva kept in her refrigerator) was the inscription, to Mary Margaret McBride (who would have been alive at the time of the find): "To Mary Margaret McBride, who has giving [sic] me so much. Love, Eva." To this day, Patty and I use the "giving me" line.

Jed

« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2004, 02:36:11 PM »

Oh yes, MBarnum, I have family in Albany, and I do recall there being something in the air down there.  It's paper mills that also give the WA towns of Camas and Clarkston their special stench.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2004, 02:50:35 PM »

Should I avoid "papermill productions" Jed? Not that I am ever likely to see them anyway.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 03:21:35 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2004, 02:54:57 PM »

Chat in a mere three hours.  It must be a meal break right now.

Michael

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2004, 02:57:30 PM »

I may have missed mention of it during the two weeks I was on the east coast, but I see that a recording of "Sherry!" is being released February 24 on Broadway Angel.

Nathan Lane, Carol Burnett, Bernadette Peters, Tommy Tune and Mike Myers are all featued on the double-CD recording (includes cast interviews from "Inside the Actor's Studio").

This is great news for fans of composer Laurence Rosenthal, and for all theater fans who have never had an opportunity to hear this score.

It was recorded years ago and was supposed to been released on Original Cast label. Bruce Yeko produced it.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2004, 02:59:50 PM »

Actually that isn't correct.  Lipton went and got Angel involved because of the star power his gig was able to get him.  The recording was produced by Robert Sher who is notorious for his CDs taking three or four years to come out (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mata Hari - in fact, I was told he'd still be mixing the Papermill Follies had it not been taken from him by the powers that be).

Michael

« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2004, 03:03:32 PM »

Actually that isn't correct.  Lipton went and got Angel involved because of the star power his gig was able to get him.  The recording was produced by Robert Sher who is notorious for his CDs taking three or four years to come out (Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mata Hari - in fact, I was told he'd still be mixing the Papermill Follies had it not been taken from him by the powers that be).

Thanks for correcting me. I was so sure it was Original Cast and Bruce Yeko.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2004, 03:05:44 PM »

Ok who has seen the AFI film version of Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris? What were they trying to do here? Is there a plot that I am missing here? I think this is the first film I rather listen to than watch. (I love Brel songs weather they are in French or English)
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2004, 03:07:35 PM »

If Angel had backed out (which they did at one point) it would, of course, had ended up on Yeko's label, since he and Sher are tight and I'm sure Yeko put up at least some of the dough.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2004, 03:08:11 PM »

Thank you, whoever restored some karma.  The karma culprits have left the room for the time being.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2004, 03:09:18 PM »

Regardless, I'm looking forward to hearing SHERRY! The one number on bk's UNSUNG MUSICALS was priceless.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2004, 03:09:34 PM »

Feel better, DR Jane! (Warning: Seeing PAYCHECK, from what I hear, might bring back the shakes.)

Michael

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2004, 03:13:28 PM »

Feel better, DR Jane! (Warning: Seeing PAYCHECK, from what I hear, might bring back the shakes.)

Paycheck sounds like a remake of Total Recall, but set in the present time and on the planet earth. At least this fil made more money that Gigili.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2004, 03:19:14 PM »

The Live Demo of "Sherry" was recorded in September 2000. I guess the studio version would not have been for quite a while after that.
(Just Before "Big Girls Don't Cry").
MDS: td will have to explain vey carefully to us just what we dont "get". I could not get through JBIAAWALIP.  I would rather listen too.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2004, 03:21:05 PM »

At least this film made more money that Gigili.

Doesn't mean it's any better, though. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Robin

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2004, 03:22:21 PM »

What is this "karma" you speak of?  How does one go about getting, or giving it?  

By the way, the Pacific Overtures matinee was diverting.  Not riveting, but quite satisfying.  Years ago, I was so-so on the show, and now, after seeing four different productions, my so-so has transformed itself into sincere admiration.  Yes admiration.  I still don't love it, but it's awfully awfully good.  

And, about The Maltese Falcon...it's my favorite Peter Lorre picture.  I know some other people are in it, too, but Mr. Lorre's Joel Cairo steals the movie...for me, at least.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Danise

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2004, 03:24:30 PM »

One of these days, someone is going to have to write a diet book called The "Everything You Always Wanted To Put In Your Mouth But Were Afraid To Swallow" Cookbook.  It would sell!   ::)

Oh, Danise, one thing I like to do when I want to warm up is take a nice hot shower.  Unfortunately, I can only suggest you do this when you are at home.

*chuckle*  I tend to agree but I've gotta do something about this weight.  My own personal belief is that it is one of the reasons I keep having these attacks.   I did Slim Fast years ago and managed to get the weight off--was down to 115 lbs and kept it off as long as I kept the shakes up.  The only problem was, at the time, they only had the 3 flavors.  Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry.

After a time, you find you just can’t face them anymore.  I’ve tired.  I know they have all the other flavors now but I just can’t do it.  Not to mention the fact that I started have some kidney problems that I’m told may be because I drank the shakes.  I don’t really know if I believe that but I have heard that from several sources.

If I could adopt an eating plan that would be healthy and help me get and keep the weight off, I think it will be worth reading the book.  

The only problem with the taking the warm hot shower is that the water heater runs out after awhile!

And it IS cold in Florida!   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2004, 03:26:32 PM »

I would explain it Robin but I am too busy sorting out my "S & Ms".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2004, 03:27:19 PM »

Karma--you can't give it to the same person  on the same day or you can't give it to anyone after you've given it to one person on the same day?

Sometimes it seems to work one way and then the other.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 03:30:33 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2004, 03:29:02 PM »

Paycheck sounds like a remake of Total Recall, but set in the present time and on the planet earth. At least this fil made more money that Gigili.

Paycheck commits the worst sin a movie can commit.  It's boring.  This is not something I'm accustomed to from John Woo, who normally is able to inject a bit of interest into the proceedings.  

Yes, it's essentially Total Recall Redux (not surprising, considering both movies are based on short stories by Philip K. Dick), and it's truly sad to realize that Ben Affleck doesn't have the screen presence of Ah-nuld.  But it isn't set in the present day, it's set in some nebulous, undefined point in the near future.  

Regardless of where it's set, it'll steal two hours of your life better spent elsewhere.  Like on these message boards.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up