Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUR CREAM  (Read 26781 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SOUR CREAM
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2004, 09:56:16 AM »

You have my sympathies, DR Danise. Being cold stinks. Especially in Florida. Doesn't make sense. Only explanation I can think of is it's the universe's way of punishing Jeb Bush.

Panni

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2004, 09:57:58 AM »

Three post in a row! This might be #4. Why is everybody so silent? Speak up, DR's.

td

• td
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2004, 10:08:58 AM »

Speaking up. . .
DR and Sr Member Panni, please tell us all of your reactions to A BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT!  This is one of my favorite concert films!  I'm not even a big Roy Orbison fan; I taped it from Cinemax when it premiered because of BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN and JENNIFER WARNES !  !
Isn't that quite a line-up of talent?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2004, 10:15:26 AM »

Ijust came across an article which I had tucked away in a notebook full of film articles.
NEON magazine once published a feature piece entitled, "The 100 Films You Must See Before You Die."
I'm gonna scan it into a pdf document, if any DRs are interested, I can email that to them. . .otherwise, right now, I'm just gonna list THEIR OPINION on what the Top Ten are. . .

JAWS
GOODFELLAS
NAKED (Mike Leigh)
PLANET OF THE APES (original)
PEEPING TOM
THE EXORCIST
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
APACALYPSE NOW
DARK STAR
VIDEODROME

It's a strange little list, to be sure, with CITIZEN KANE placing in at spot #100; as well as including Tod Browning's FREAKS (1932).

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2004, 10:18:26 AM »

Well, I guess when I say "drooling adoration", I don't need any emoticons to get across nuance, according to you, but I don't think I ever said anything about "idiots" or that everyone had to agree to me.  

But popularity to me has never been synonymous with quality. Just because tons of folks jump on the bandwagon, doesn't mean I'm going to.  Films come out every week and rack up big box office scores I find absolutely unfathomable.

You want to take it as a personal insult, take it how you want.  I ain't going lose sleep over it.

How very kind of you to respond.

1.  As you are a writer by trade, I would suspect you DON'T find it necessary to provide emoticons to get your verbal intentions across.  You may deal with morons in the film industry, but there are none on this forum. Your comment was disparaging.  You know it.  I know it.  And everyone else who read it knows it.

2. The discussion had nothing to do with popularity.  That was not an issue.  You didn't like it.  I assume it has nothing to do with its wild popularity and great critical acclaim, just your puzzlement that so many people saw something in it that you weren't able to.  That's still no reason to disparage folks who do love it.

3. I never expected you, of all people here, to lose sleep over offending anyone.  I certainly didn't lose any sleep letting you know you did.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 10:19:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2004, 10:20:08 AM »

Good morning.  I had a gloriously glorious and needed sleep and now I am up with the chickens.  

Michael Shayne: Yes, they could do Academy ratio films in the way you suggest, by window-boxing the image in the center of the screen.  I know they've done this on a handful of retrospective documentaries - they shot the documentary for widescreen TVs but the clips contained therein are windowboxed within the middle of the widescreen (1:78 for TV) frame.  I don't know that the resolution from windowboxing makes any difference, however.  This is, in fact, what they now do for theatrical re-releases of 1:37 films - they windowbox them in the middle of a 1:85 release print.  Why?  Because only a handful (and I MEAN a handful) of theaters can show Academy ratio.

Feel free to cut and past both your question and this answer into a topic over at The DVD Place, in case someone else has something to add to it.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2004, 10:21:36 AM »

BK---
The KRITZERTIME (one word or two) cover is great.  Do you know which of the three covers will go on the slipcase that holds all three (as you originally promised) or will there be a totally different piece of arton the slipcase?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2004, 10:27:23 AM »

Kritzer Time (two words).  I thought I'd discussed the slipcase at the time I finally did the research.  Unfortunately, it is WAY too costly to do them, even a plain one without any art.  The reason for this is numbers - if you can't order a thousand of them the price is something like forty bucks each.  It was crazy.  I spoke to four different companies about it, and it's just not viable.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2004, 10:34:39 AM »

I just noticed that I've become a Sr. Member. So what are the perks?...  A free AARP membership? Getting into movies cheaper? Half-price Early-Bird specials?
I went senior yesterday.  DR Jose told me that my voice was going to get deeper, I'd get a paunch, and my hair would go grey.

And there's nothing like the AARP sending letters inviting one to join to make one feel old!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2004, 10:38:07 AM »

DR and Sr Member Panni, please tell us all of your reactions to A BLACK AND WHITE NIGHT!  This is one of my favorite concert films!  I'm not even a big Roy Orbison fan; I taped it from Cinemax when it premiered because of BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN and JENNIFER WARNES !  !
Isn't that quite a line-up of talent?

It certainly is! I loved it. In fact, I  feel a little silly just discovering a concert film that's obviously well-known. My relationship with the music of Roy Orbison is complex. I avoided it for years for the following reason... My first big starring role as a young actress was in an early play by George F. Walker - SACKTOWN RAG. I played Miss Missus, an uptight school teacher who, in a fantasy sequence - the fantasy being that of the young boy whose adult voice narrates the play - does what back then was quite a daring strip. Miss Missus gets up on a desk, the spot hits her, the burlesque music begins and she strips out of her little teacher's suit and is wearing the full stripper's gear underneath it. The strip ended in - dare I say it on a family site - full nudity. Now I was, as are many actors, shy in the real world. And  this was not an easy thing for me to do, although I grew to love it. What a feeling of power to have the audience breathless, watching your every move! There IS a point to all this. The music that was played as the audience was seated and at intermission was Roy Orbison. So every night I would hear "Pretty Woman" and various other Orbison pieces as I got ready for the show and got my head into that "Strip, Miss Missus" space. Sooo, for years afterwards, whenever I'd hear Orbison, I'd want to throw my clothes off. In certain circumstances that was not the correct thing to do. The easiest solution was to avoid his music altogether.
That's a long answer to a short question, DR td. The concert was terrific. And yes - I danced - but I was in a bathrobe - so it wasn't too exciting a show. My dog seemed to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 10:41:00 AM by Panni »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2004, 10:47:05 AM »

One of the things that has fascinated me about the context of Casablanca is that it was created and released while World War II was in full swing.  I can only imagine the reaction of audiences in 1942 when the film was first shown and the outcome of the war was far from certain.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2004, 10:47:08 AM »

For your information (FYI, in Internet lingo), Nick Redman has just written his first two cents' worth over at The DVD Place - it's great, go read it.  http://dvds.allaccessworld.com

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2004, 10:48:30 AM »

NEON magazine once published a feature piece entitled, "The 100 Films You Must See Before You Die."
...right now, I'm just gonna list THEIR OPINION on what the Top Ten are. . .

JAWS
GOODFELLAS
NAKED (Mike Leigh)
PLANET OF THE APES (original)
PEEPING TOM
THE EXORCIST
THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY
APACALYPSE NOW
DARK STAR
VIDEODROME

It's a strange little list, to be sure, with CITIZEN KANE placing in at spot #100; as well as including Tod Browning's FREAKS (1932).

All right, before asking for the entire list, could you give a couple of hints?  What is (or was) NEON?  And what was the criteria they gave for their listing?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2004, 10:49:34 AM »

Only 240 posts to go before I'm a GAWD!   ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2004, 10:56:21 AM »

Are we on a meal break?  I'm debating breakfast.  It's a lively debate - so far I'm making good arguments but breakfast is also making good arguments.  I'll keep you posted if you keep me posted, if you get my meaning.

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2004, 10:56:43 AM »

All right, before asking for the entire list, could you give a couple of hints?  What is (or was) NEON?  And what was the criteria they gave for their listing?

NEON was a mid-1990s publication along the lines of PREMIERE (without the gloss) and MOVIELINE (without the dross).

Some interesting choices include LES YEUX SANS VISAGE and REPULSION.
It is indeed qutie a quirky little list. . any list that includes BOTH the aforementioned CITIZEN KANE and Cheech and Chong's UP IN SMOKE is bound to be quirky.

To quote:
"Some are brilliant, some are banned, some aren't even very good, but until you've seen all these movies you just haven't lived"

td

• td
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2004, 10:57:33 AM »

BK - consider yourself (Oh! a Lionel Bart reference) posted!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2004, 10:59:33 AM »

LOVE Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes Without a Face) - supposedly a SE DVD is on its way soon.  It's out in France but sans soustitres.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2004, 11:02:48 AM »

Sandra, you are just sitting there like so much fish.  You haven't joined us in AGES.  Get out your epee and write something, will ya?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2004, 11:29:34 AM »

I've got to get to the store.  I still haven't had my pancakes, and for that I need MILK!

Here's a question for all: what newspapers do you read on Sunday?

Back in Long Beach, we used to get the L. B. Press Telegram and the Los Angeles Times.  Now that we're in Rehoboth Beach, it's the Washington Post, the NewsJournal, and the weekly Cape Gazette.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2004, 11:30:35 AM »

Well, I guess maybe I do need emoticons after all...There is a distinction between "adoration" of a film and "drooling adoration" of a film.  First of all, I don't know how I can make it any clearer. I said I liked ET, thought it was okay.  Said it twice.  Never said I "didn't like it."

So, my definition of "drooling adoration" is that sort of fan who is so gaga over a movie that you must think exactly as he/she does about it.  Anything less, anything different and you're the anti-Christ.  You have to adore it, you have to think it's wonderful.  Any criticism of it will not be brooked.  Any attack on the film is construed as a personal attack on the person.  

To say that ET does not have these type of zealot groupies would be an absolute falsehood.  Almost any film that has made the money it has, a part of its following is made up of these sort of folks.  The type of folks who stand in line for two days, freezing their ass off, to be the very,very,very, very first one to see the next installment of STAR WARS.  That, my friends, is "drooling adoration".   ET has those fans.  But I never once suggested that anyone on this board or any specific person here was one of those fans.  

No one said it's bad to like a specific movie, to love a specific movie, to adore a specific movie, but I find "drooling adoration" a bit problematic.  It is, after all, only a movie.  

And what's amusing in this entire discussion is that I didn't dislike the movie.  I just didn't pee my pants with delight over it.  Big deal.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 01:42:37 PM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2004, 11:37:13 AM »

td, interesting list...I'd love to know what else is on it, with the exception of DARK STAR (which I've only seen part of...no interest to see the rest), I think I've seen every one of those films.  Most of them, I think I could have gone bilthely through life missing.  Only PEEPING TOM & PLANET OF THE APES have I seen more than once.  NAKED is awfully good...but again, I don't need to see it again.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2004, 11:48:09 AM »

Here's another whose drooling adoration I don't understand.  I absolutely despise THE TITANIC!  I think it's one of the biggest pieces of bloated tripe ever made.  It made what?  Six billion dollars.  Beats me!  I don't get it.  I seem to be in a minority.

I'm in that minority with you.  I find it to have the most annoying ending I have ever seen.  What woman in her right mind would do such a thing?

Jane

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2004, 11:54:21 AM »

Jeans.  Did I say I was also wearing jeans?  I don't want anyone to think I might be cold because I forgot to put my pants on!  

Jeans absorb the cold.  You need a warm liner under them.  I remember going to Disney World in February in the middle of a record breaking heat wave.  Two days after we arrived, the temps dropped to 25 degrees and we had left our winter coats at home.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2004, 12:01:03 PM »

I was sick most of the night and am still shaky today.  We won’t see Return of the King today.  I’m disappointed but it is simply too long to sit through.  Keith is tired since I eventually woke him up for assistance, after which I told him to go back to sleep.  Of course he couldn’t.  Maybe we will see something mindless like Paycheck.  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2004, 12:04:39 PM »

hey! Wait a minim ! ! !

My ex left me to go and live in Tacoma ! ! !

Has anybody seen my ex? ? ?

Ah, td, I have been meaning to tell you something.......

STUCK IN TACOMA  I resemble that remark.  Actually, I have lived in Portland, the Bay Area, Laguna Beach, the Tri-State area (okay New Jersey), Ellensburg, and Seattle; but everytime I have moved away, I have come back home to Tacoma.  I LOVE New York, but I truly enjoy living in Tacoma, stress and all.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2004, 12:16:41 PM »

I went senior yesterday.  DR Jose told me that my voice was going to get deeper, I'd get a paunch, and my hair would go grey.

Yes, but did one have anything to do with the other?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2004, 12:25:36 PM »

Was It Something I said?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2004, 12:25:52 PM »

Yes, but did one have anything to do with the other?
If you recall, I replied that I was already there, and done that.   8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2004, 12:27:30 PM »

I'm in that minority with you.  I find it to have the most annoying ending I have ever seen.  What woman in her right mind would do such a thing?
I recall an ad for the Yellow Pages, spoofing the ending, where first she dove in to retrieve the gem, then dove into the pages to find the address of a good pawn shop!   ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up