Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 31444 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »

Well, after I took my claritin this morning I went back to bed and slept like a baby for about 2 1/2 hours.  I woke up feeling much better. Not really well, but better.  I have now had my home made chicken noodle soup and have started writing.  Thanks to electronic filing, I have until midnight to get this filed and can file it from home. I'm hoping to have it done by about 3:00pm or so.  Laters

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2006, 11:48:13 AM »

Beautiful wings, DRLAURA!!

I have the Doris Day-Andre Previn Duets CD...and now it seems that there is a Dinah Shore-Andre Previn CD reissue.

Does any DR have this CD to recommend or NOT?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2006, 11:48:39 AM »

DRGINNY.....thanks for the book covers!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2006, 12:03:19 PM »

DR Jose - I did give it up, when I found the receipt for the Starbucks gingerbread latte that I had at the airport on our way home, but not the MetroCard.  Why did I save that receipt?  And, I thought we did buy 7-day cards, but Richard's says clearly on the back that it doesn't expire until November 30, 2006, and can have value added to it  ???

DR Ginny, the card is most likely empty since it was a 7-day card.  The expiration date means it will hold money up to that point.  The truth is, you can just as easily buy a new card rather than refill it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2006, 12:09:43 PM »

DRGINNY.....thanks for the book covers!

You're welcome, DR JRand!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »

We had a great band rehearsal with the cast, which got a boost out of the instrumentation.  It was nice to finally meet Beth Fowler, and I love Mary Stout.  The ensemble is great, and I think all bodes well fro the show.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »

We had a great band rehearsal with the cast, which got a boost out of the instrumentation.  It was nice to finally meet Beth Fowler, and I love Mary Stout.  The ensemble is great, and I think all bodes well fro the show.

DR Elmore - I learned a new word from you today:

Sitzprobe

And thanks for the further MetroCard illumination!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »

Beth Fowler!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2006, 12:26:21 PM »

Finished LAGAAN last night - it is 245 minutes long with 52 DVD chapters....but it is a fine film.  I enjoyed it very much, with fine acting from the Hindi and English casts.  I liked the story, too.

It would have helped if I knew the rules of the game of Cricket, but that didn't bother me too much.  Fine music, too.

Ginny

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2006, 12:31:56 PM »

In the September, 2006, issue of Choice:  Current Reviews for Academic Libraries, there's a bibliographic essay entitled "Film Music:  Interdisciplinary Scholarship, Analysis, Criticism, and Theory," by Melissa Goldsmith of Louisiana State University.  I'd post a link, but it's not available electronically.  Any DR who'd like a copy, please PM me and I'll photocopy it for you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:32:28 PM by Ginny »

Ben

« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2006, 12:48:04 PM »

With today's techology, I suspect we could have machines that let you use your VISA to buy a fare card, and would keep track of it's useage, and replace lost/stolen cards

If you buy a weekly or monthly Metrocard with a credit or debit card you can, indeed, stop use on a lost card. I forget the exact policy but there are posters in the subway and information on the Web site on how to get a replacement card if you lose your fully charged monthly card.

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »

Re: tonight's STUDIO 60 (i'll be vague).

It is on here on Sundays also. So i saw tonight's show already.

I think it is much better than last week's show. A lot more banter between matthew perry and bradley whitford.

And there is a nice surprise near the end for musical theatre fans.

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2006, 12:49:37 PM »

Hey where are all the TAR comments. I like to read what people think of the episodes. DR JRand? DR Cillaliz? DR MBarnum? Anyone else?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »

Back from part one of rehearsal - next part is at five-thirty, so I'm going to now highlight my script.  I got through okay so far - I know the three solos pretty well now, but, as I said, hadn't really looked at the other six numbers I have stuff in - so, I'm just getting used to that stuff.  We ran some dialogue, too.  After rehearsal, I'll be meeting some friends at Joe Allen TABLE 20!

Ben

« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2006, 12:53:23 PM »

Re: Ellen Burstyn, I have kind of snarky feelings about her myself. I was rather neutral until, in the mid-80s, she became President of Actors Equity. I was at a meeting where she "presided" She was working at the time in a show (I believe it was Park Your Car in the Harvard Yard). She stayed at the meeting long enough to open the session and made it quite clear that she was leaving because she was tired and how difficult it was to do a show every night. There were many, many, many, (that's three manys) unemployed actors in the theatre (the meeting was held at the Booth Theatre) who would have given their right (or left) arm to be appearing in an Off-Broadway show and they did not take the comment kindly. Yes, it is difficult appearing in a show six nights a week, but that's part of the bargin when you agree to do it. As President of the actors union, don't insult your un-and underemployed colleagues by complaining when you have work AND you're earning more than the Union minimum. I've had trouble watching her ever since that evening.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 12:54:50 PM by Ben »

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2006, 12:56:53 PM »

TOPIC OF THE DAY
This is the time, thank God, when movies get more interesting.

Want to see
Hollywoodland
Fur (Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus)
The Queen (Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II)
Marie Antoinette
Infamous (Truman Capote again)
Babel
Dreamgirls

Of interest (or may wait for the video)
Flags of Our Fathers (Clint Eastwood directs)
Little Children
Man of the Year
Half Nelson
Trade

Already saw
The Illusionist (loved it!)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2006, 01:04:36 PM »

DR Elmore - I learned a new word from you today:

Sitzprobe

And thanks for the further MetroCard illumination!

DR Ginny,  the soprano Joyce Guyer on the Sitzprobe site usewd to be my first floor neighbor.  She's a beautiful soprano.  She's on the Met roster.

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »

DR Ginny,  the soprano Joyce Guyer on the Sitzprobe site usewd to be my first floor neighbor.  She's a beautiful soprano.  She's on the Met roster.

So the info on the site was accurate?  That's important to us reference librarians, you know!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:15:19 PM by Ginny »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2006, 01:10:34 PM »

Re: Ellen Burstyn, I have kind of snarky feelings about her myself. I was rather neutral until, in the mid-80s, she became President of Actors Equity. I was at a meeting where she "presided" She was working at the time in a show (I believe it was Park Your Car in the Harvard Yard). She stayed at the meeting long enough to open the session and made it quite clear that she was leaving because she was tired and how difficult it was to do a show every night. There were many, many, many, (that's three manys) unemployed actors in the theatre (the meeting was held at the Booth Theatre) who would have given their right (or left) arm to be appearing in an Off-Broadway show and they did not take the comment kindly. Yes, it is difficult appearing in a show six nights a week, but that's part of the bargin when you agree to do it. As President of the actors union, don't insult your un-and underemployed colleagues by complaining when you have work AND you're earning more than the Union minimum. I've had trouble watching her ever since that evening.

I met her when I was working at Theatrebooks around 1981.  She was in spending a bit of money on a young lady protege.  Hmmmm . . .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2006, 01:13:00 PM »

So the info on the site was accurate?  That's important to we reference librarians, you know!

I'm afraid you've made a grammatical error: it isn't "we" librarians but "us" librarians, being the objective case following the preposition.  That's the first way to lose a man!

The info was so accurate I could plotz!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2006, 01:14:03 PM »

Ellen Burstyn is my favorite living actress.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2006, 01:15:40 PM »

In support of bk's size 10 shoe quest:

An article in SLATE reports:

...according to Army records, the average shoe size worn by male recruits has gone up from about a 6 to about a 9.5 since the American Revolution.

So a gent's size 10 is well within the norm

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2006, 01:17:30 PM »

I'm afraid you've made a grammatical error: it isn't "we" librarians but "us" librarians, being the objective case following the preposition.  That's the first way to lose a man!

The info was so accurate I could plotz!

LOL - I debated when I first posted and, obviously, made the wrong choice!  My post has been corrected.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:18:20 PM by Ginny »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2006, 01:24:26 PM »

I AM THE GOVERNMENT AND I'M HERE TO HELP YOU!

Reported in WND:

SEXTRA CREDIT
School strip searches
mandated by House

With student molestations skyrocketing,
lawmakers demand weapon in drug fight
9:40 p.m. Eastern
By Joseph Farah
WASHINGTON – Even though student molestations seem to be reaching epidemic proportions in schools across America, the House of Representatives has approved a tough new anti-drug and anti-weapon law that would require local districts to develop search policies – including strip searches – with immunity against prosecution for teachers and staff.

Schools would have to develop policies for searching students, or face the loss of some federal funding, under the bill – HR 5295, approved by a voice vote Tuesday. It moves to the Senate, which does not have similar legislation pending at this time.

The American Civil Liberties Union, the American Federation of Teachers, the Drug Policy Alliance, Students for Sensible Drug Policy, the National Parent Teacher Association, the American Association of School Administrators and the National School Boards Association all opposed the bill saying it could invite unconstitutional searches. The National Education Association supports the legislation, according to the sponsor.

The "Student Teacher Safety Act of 2006" passed on a voice vote, bypassing the committee process and with no way to hold individual members of the House accountable for their votes.

Particularly controversial is the requirement that each local school district have search policies in place, with the process defined like this:
"A search referred to in subsection (a) is a search by a full-time teacher or school official, acting on any reasonable suspicion based on professional experience and judgment, of any minor student on the grounds of any public school, if the search is conducted to ensure that classrooms, school buildings, school property and students remain free from the threat of all weapons, dangerous materials, or illegal narcotics. The measures used to conduct any search must be reasonably related to the search's objectives, without being excessively intrusive in light of the student's age, sex, and the nature of the offense."

The bill does not address whether body cavity searches are included, whether training will be provided to staffers performing them, whether background checks on staffers would be necessary, whether students who have been sexually abused in the past would be subject or whether parental notification would be required. Without those specifics, the judgment of local school administrators will be the litmus test.

So, on an ill-defined suspicion grade school children may be searched (maybe even body cavity, who knows) without parental notification.

Next we'll be having Cub Scout sleepovers at the Rectory!

der Brucer

Text of the actual bill

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2006, 01:29:17 PM »

That once in a million shot:

Two spectators find shelter under umbrellas as a rainbow arcs over Deer Lakes High School Stadium in West Deer, Pa., before the start of a girls soccer game between Deer Lakes and Freeport High School on Wednesday.
(Justin Guido / AP)

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2006, 01:32:09 PM »

Another long lunch today prevented me from seeing as many things this afternoon as I wanted. I did see both CBS shows last night, though they were about 10 minutes late starting due to sports runovers.

Obviously CBS did not delay their transmission of the high definition versions of the shows because when my local affiliate tried switching over, the show was ahead of where the standard def telecast was. Therefore, my local station stayed with standard definition for both of the CBS dramas last night. (THE AMAZING RACE is not filmed in HD.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2006, 01:34:16 PM »

COLD CASE had a mournful episode investigating a mall shooting spree from several years back.

In what has become as chronic case of procedural blight, COLD CASE has also begun sequences dealing with the private lives of the detectives, so the procedurals aren't so pure any more. We're getting more personal melodrama with the detectives running side-by-side with the investigations.

I guess the majority likes these inside looks at the personal lives of the characters on the show, but it ruins it a little bit for me.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 01:35:48 PM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »

A sneak peek at bk's new hotel room:

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2006, 01:39:36 PM »

I had read that STUDIO 60 toinight was an even finer episode than the season premiere. The same has been written about this week's GREY'S ANATOMY. Can't wait to find out for myself.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2006, 01:41:00 PM »

WITHOUT A TRACE also had a sad story, this of the marvelous Brian Kerwin guest starring as a pedophile on the run with a recently abducted boy. Background checks on his son revealed lots of very disturbing information. Good episode.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up