Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS  (Read 31075 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2006, 08:05:46 AM »

The only two films that I'm really looking forward to seeing are THE PRESTIGE and DREAMGIRLS.

I am appalled by how many animated features (which all look and sound the same) are on the docket for the coming months. As usual, Hollywood has taken something that was fresh and different and run it into the ground with EVERY studio jumping on the bandwagon.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2006, 08:06:30 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Three Dance!!![/move]

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2006, 08:06:52 AM »

Good Morning!

It looks and feels like it's going to be a good day to get outside for a while... Hmm... Perhaps Central Park...  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2006, 08:08:20 AM »

DR MBarnum - Catching up from yesterday...  You mean to say that your Bollywood obsession actually started with a movie suggestion from BK?  You mean there's actually something I can't be blamed for?!?!?!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2006, 08:19:50 AM »

Happy first-day-of-school, DR PennyO!  I always used to make blueberry muffins for our son on the first day of a new school year.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2006, 08:22:12 AM »

DR MBarnum - A place to keep in mind for your next visit to NYC:

Masala Bollywood
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2006, 08:23:55 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I haven't really kept up with the upcoming movie releases.  However... "Dreamgirls" and "Running with Scissors".
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2006, 08:33:41 AM »

Having lunch with best friend John today, so I need to get cleaned up for that.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2006, 08:54:14 AM »

Again, catching up from yesterday....

DR GINNY - GIVE IT UP!

;D

*And to save you some possible future stress... For this upcoming visit, just buy a 7-day, Unlimited Use Metrocard for $24 - at least if you think you're going to use the subway more than 12 times (one-way trips).  And since it's only good for seven days, you can won't have to worry if it's still good a few months from now.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »

DR Ginny,
Did I get this right? You were TRYING to get a sinus headache so you could call in sick today, while the REST OF US are suffering with sinus headaches and postnasal drip and other fall allergies, which we DON'T WANT? Oh, dear. Life just isn't fair, is it? (I do sympathize with needing a day off, believe me.)

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »

RE: DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

Yes without seeing any episodes since the finale I did forget a lot. I mean a lot of it came back as i was watching last night (i remember alfre and son packing up but i didn't know if it meant she would not be back at all).

It was weird how they did the 6 months later thing. I am not convinced  I like that idea. I like to see things pick up right where they leave off.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2006, 09:00:06 AM »

TOD: LOVED the Illusionist.

Rented a recent film, Villa des Roses by Frank Van Passel. Quite nice, I thought. Very competent acting, lovely visuals. I was pleasantly surprised, as I knew nothing about it when I rented it.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2006, 09:00:37 AM »

Again, catching up from yesterday....

DR GINNY - GIVE IT UP!

;D

*And to save you some possible future stress... For this upcoming visit, just buy a 7-day, Unlimited Use Metrocard for $24 - at least if you think you're going to use the subway more than 12 times (one-way trips).  And since it's only good for seven days, you can won't have to worry if it's still good a few months from now.

;)

DR Jose - I did give it up, when I found the receipt for the Starbucks gingerbread latte that I had at the airport on our way home, but not the MetroCard.  Why did I save that receipt?  And, I thought we did buy 7-day cards, but Richard's says clearly on the back that it doesn't expire until November 30, 2006, and can have value added to it  ???
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »

Hey bk - are you at the Dream hotel?  I had the same reaction to our room when I walked into it for the first time.  It's a great place though.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2006, 09:04:29 AM »

Well, apparently a size ten shoe is something New York stores don't believe in carrying, so know shoes to run in as of yet.  I'll look some more tomorrow, but I just may have to not jog this week - I can walk briskly, however, and that's probably fine.

Ginny

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »

DR Jeanne - my desire for a sinus headache was very much in jest.  Believe me, I've had enough real ones and other allergy symptoms to know better than to wish them for myself or anyone else!

If I didn't have a vacation/business trip coming up next week, I probably would have taken a mental health day today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2006, 09:05:29 AM »

DR Jose - I did give it up, when I found the receipt for the Starbucks gingerbread latte that I had at the airport on our way home, but not the MetroCard.  Why did I save that receipt?  And, I thought we did buy 7-day cards, but Richard's says clearly on the back that it doesn't expire until November 30, 2006, and can have value added to it  ???

All the Metrocards have expiration dates on them, regardless if they are Regular or Unlimited Cards.  The Unlimited Cards are good for 1,7 or 30 days from their first use.  So, if you happen to buy one, but not use it until after the expiration date, well, then...  No subway or bus for you.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2006, 09:06:33 AM »

As for last night's TAR.

spoilers.

Last night's show was good. Here are my favorite teams so far:

I think my 2 favorites are model/drug addicts and miss americas.

The male models had one setback but still managed to come back. I think they are very strong (probably the strongest team).

I was also impressed with the miss americas. I would like to see an all female team win. And if they hadn't lost their helmut i think they would have finished first.

I sort of still like the girl with the leg, but less. They are whiny. But at least they came back.

And the asians picked things up and did better. IF it wasn't for their car problem i think they would have done even better.

I still don't like the guy who yells or the father (of the father/daughter team).

And i'm still not crazy about the black women. They are not strong.

He hick couple are entertaining. But they are so weak.

And the gay couple is just okay, but not strong enough yet.

I was sort of sad to see the cheerleaders go. But they were very weak as well.

So many car problems.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2006, 09:07:09 AM »

Well, apparently a size ten shoe is something New York stores don't believe in carrying, so know shoes to run in as of yet.  I'll look some more tomorrow, but I just may have to not jog this week - I can walk briskly, however, and that's probably fine.

Did they call down to the Bryant Park location?  There are also all the FootLocker and CitySports shops around town, so...   Or maybe everyone else in NYC has Size 10 feet.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »

I think all NYC hotels have some of those tiny rooms. I also once (i think at either the edison or the Best Western President) was stuck in the tinest room ever.  It had room for one bed and that was it.

I am really claustrophobic also. And there was absolutely no possible way i could have stayed there. So they switched my room.

Every other time i've stayed in NYC i've had rooms that could fit 2 double beds. As long as it is big enough for that, then i am okay. I think if you just ask for 2 double beds when you reserve, then you won't freak out and get the tiny room.

Hey did anybody go to the Broadway flea market yesterday? I'll bet it was great.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2006, 09:17:38 AM »

I think they may not have rooms with two double beds here - but I'm not sure.  Certainly when they switched me they looked at everything they had.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2006, 09:20:27 AM »

We all survived opening weekend for Miss Saigon after a rather rocky tech week.  I'm still praying during the first part of the nightmare scene.  We finally got the pit arranagement right and the right mix in our pit monitors.  Yesterday was the first time I felt "connected" with the other side of the pit - which made it a great show.  The keyboard programming has been commented on by several "musical director" friends and it's all been positive.  The show has been a journey of love, excitment and hard work but the payoff has been fantastic.  2 more weeks of the show still, I don't know how I'll feel when the show is over.  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 09:21:02 AM by Matthew »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2006, 09:23:09 AM »

Congrats to DR MATTHEW on his SAIGON!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2006, 09:24:27 AM »

Size 10?!!!

Sorry to have been vague, DR EDISAURUS.....yes Ms Beverly Garland and Ms Joanne Woodward are both mortal enemies of Ms Allison Hayes...but that is a story for another day.  Garland moreso than Woodward, who probably doesn't even remember who Hayes was.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2006, 09:25:50 AM »

I too am looking forward to DREAMGIRLS.  Last movie I saw in the theatre KING KONG - no NOT the 1933 version!

I wanted to see HOLLYWOODLAND, but the reviews and the knowledge that it concentrates on Brody's story rather than the mystery makes me want to wait for the DVD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2006, 09:29:34 AM »

Hmmm....Brian Easdale won the Academy Award in 1948 for scoring of a dramatic or comedy motion picture for THE RED SHOES.  So whoever wrote his OBIT was somewhat misinformed.

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2006, 09:30:15 AM »

DR Jose - thanks for the MetroCard clarification.  Even though Richard's shows a Nov. 30 expiration date, it probably really expired on January 24 - seven days from its first use.  Now I don't feel so bad about not being able to find mine.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2006, 09:31:06 AM »

A CHORUS LINE on Friday night....what a perfect night in NYC!!

Maybe it was the headline writer for the obit who was confused.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »

Don't know Marilyn & Alan Bergman - but they wrote terrific lyrics for the title tune for Carol Lynley's version of HARLOW.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2006, 09:32:34 AM »

I don't know how much time you have for walking, bk, but I always found that walking the streets for just the usual comings and goings to and from destinations was ample exercise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up