Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISHES, PROMISHES  (Read 38260 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:PROMISHES, PROMISHES
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2006, 01:26:12 PM »

I don't really have a problem with AMERICAN IDOL winners in the same way i'm annoyed by DANCING WITH THE STARS this year.

AI contestants are unknowns. At least viewers are making their own opinions.  But For DWTS, it's not really based on dancing to a certain degree.  Certain performers have fans that will vote for them no matter what.

That is EXACTLY what sucks about AI...it's popularity and has little to nothing to do with whether the person is a better singer.

Ruben over Clay?  NO WAY!

Fantasia over anyone?  

McPheever vs. the Soul Patrol?  Ring any bells?  Their fans voted for them no matter how badly they sucked on any given night.  And they both bombed badly, vocally....but never paid the price votes-wise.

Neither of them has a voice that can match Elliot's.  It was all cult of personality...SAME AS your dance show.

Just because they're peripheral celebrities doesn't guarantee them any more votes than unknowns.  AI's unknowns are quickly idolized and become celebrities every bit as well-known as Lisa Rinni or Jerry Springer or Mario Lopez...not with the duration of their celebrity status, but just as recognizable.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 01:27:16 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2006, 01:28:00 PM »

This was my favorite JRand56!

Is this a new ad for our DR Jose?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2006, 01:28:43 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]-- Page 6--[/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2006, 01:29:26 PM »

Is this a new ad for our DR Jose?

Which one of those guys was Mike's favorite?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2006, 01:30:47 PM »

It was nice seeing Charles Walters leading the singing and dancing in the big amusement park production number (he also staged the number for the cameras).

He was one of Cole Porter's lovers.

Speaking of which, from the titillating ads for the 5 PM news, there's been a huge gay victory in the New Jersey courts today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2006, 01:34:13 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/25/jersey.samesex.ap/index.html

Well, according to the actual news report, maybe it's not such a landmark decision.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:10:34 PM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2006, 01:40:38 PM »

I enjoy spotting Charles Walters or Hermes Pan taking the lead occasionally in a dance number he staged for the cameras in some musicals. Chuck especially was very handsome and always comes off well on camera, even when partnering Joan Crawford in TORCH SONG.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2006, 01:42:18 PM »

Here's a surprise. NBC is bringing back its four comedy block for Thursday night starting at the end of November. SCRUBS returns from hiatus to join the already present MY NAME IS EARL and THE OFFICE. NBC is moving Tina Fey's 30 ROCK to Thursday night.

Looks like they're dumping the dreadful 20 GOOD YEARS.

td

• td
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2006, 01:44:56 PM »

Good Health Vibes, TPunk!

And now, I'd like to share some news with the sweetest site on the internet (and the most popular):

Tomorrow I will receive my manager's card and the keys to Sam Morgan's Clubhouse.  
I will still be serving first and foremost, but, I have elected to take on major managerial duties as well for the dining room and catered parties.
How often in life do we actually get to do those things which we passionately love to do, and get paid to do it as well?
My first solo managerial day will be Sunday, whereupon I also have a party of sixty people in the downstairs dining room; I'll be working the party with one bartender as well as opening the restaurant, getting out the cash drawers and all the other duties for start-up.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2006, 02:11:49 PM »

Good Health Vibes, TPunk!

And now, I'd like to share some news with the sweetest site on the internet (and the most popular):

Tomorrow I will receive my manager's card and the keys to Sam Morgan's Clubhouse.  
I will still be serving first and foremost, but, I have elected to take on major managerial duties as well for the dining room and catered parties.
How often in life do we actually get to do those things which we passionately love to do, and get paid to do it as well?
My first solo managerial day will be Sunday, whereupon I also have a party of sixty people in the downstairs dining room; I'll be working the party with one bartender as well as opening the restaurant, getting out the cash drawers and all the other duties for start-up.

DR td, fantastic news!

Ginny

« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2006, 02:12:50 PM »

Congratulations, DR td, on your new responsibilities.  Hope all goes smoothly.

I'm about to leave work for the day.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2006, 02:25:53 PM »

Re: Dancing With the STars.

DR Cillaliz i guess we shall have to disagree again.

My favorite is Mario Lopez, then joey, then monique.  I really would like jerry springer to leave tonight. I do think he has done great for his capabilities. And he is entertaining. But he is so inferior in his dancing that i just think it's time for him to go.

And while I admire emmit's work ethic, and i think he has done quite well, i really do not want him to win.  He is one of the only dancers i have never voted for.  He is good enough. But i truly don't feel he is anywhere near as good as mario.  But i think the thing that rubs me the wrong way is how popular he is. I would just rather the best dancer win vs the most popular.

I guess I just don't like Joey and Mario..probably because from the beginning they have been held out to be the best and that this is going to be a contest between the two of them.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2006, 02:35:53 PM »

Great news Mr Dale.  Congratulations.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »

My mother is cheering for Emmit which both surprises me and cracks me up. She likes Mario too but wants Emmit to win, and she had no idea who either one of them were before the show started.

You have to understand, she not only watches she takes notes, does her own judging and then calls me to compare notes. LOL, it's a fun thing we do together.

As far as popularity - I don't mind it so much as a factor on Dancing with the Stars.  Unlike AI, where talent really should matter, but it doesn't and I don't even like to watch it - on DWTS they aren't competing to get a contract or become well known, they are dancing for a disco ball and maybe 15 more minutes of fame. They are celebrities doing something outside their comfort zone - well most of them. Mario has had lots of dance lessons, another reason I don't particularly think he should win. He knows how to dance already.

You have to consider this isn't just a dancing show it's entertainment. I love watching Jerry Springer. Can he dance? No, but he's very entertaining. The storyline about his daughter was touching and while it's probably time for him to go, I love that he lasted this long. The show wouldn't have been as good without him.  Emmit has fun every time he takes the floor and he almost glows. His shimmy last  night was great.  People jumped to their feet cheering, the mood in the room was electric. That didn't happen for either Joey or Mario.  Emmit clearly connects with the audience in a way most of the others don't. That's entertainment.   My 2 cents  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:44:09 PM by Cillaliz »

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2006, 02:43:09 PM »

I know! Sometimes I can't believe people pay me for what I do (but I'm glad they do!) If I won the lottery and didn't need to work, I would still want to be editing.

Congratulations, td!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2006, 02:48:24 PM »

I don't know if I agree with the selection, but the choices are very good.   8)
http://porktornado.diaryland.com/albumcover.html

I hadn't been there in awhile. I see some new ones, like The Brailettes. A perennial favorite for me  (not that I don't like my friends, mind you...) is:
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:17 PM »

I'm very happy for you, DR td. Good luck with this!

Matt H.

« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2006, 02:52:46 PM »

I have that den to clean now, so I'm off for the moment.

WBBL.

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »

I'm watching Cash Cab...now that's the way I want to travel around New York, making money in a cab rather than spending it

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »

I'm looking forward to Friday for not-so-obvious reasons:  We are having our annual Halloween cookout/bbq (another money-raising event to pay for our annual Holiday party)!

Whoopee, huh!  In years past, I've brought potato salad (on request of organizers) but I served notice a year ago I'm tired of making it.  This year, they dared to ask someone else.

Still, they asked if I wanted to bring food (in lieu of paying for a meal), so I offered to make chili for the hot dogs.

Little do they know what's in store for them.  I'm gonna bring some chili!  And those hot dogs are going to s-i-n-g!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:00:30 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2006, 03:01:50 PM »

I am SO looking forward to "Jericho", "Lost" and "The Nine."

Now that "Pwoject Wunway" is done, I can watch "The Nine" as it airs!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2006, 03:02:40 PM »

And I'm eagerly anticipating tomorrow night's episode of "Ugly Betty" -- easily my favorite comedy on TV.

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2006, 03:05:32 PM »

I don't have any Halloween plans for the first time in years. Probably because I'm not supporting someone in my social circle who is running for County Attorney. I just don't think he's the right person. Anyway, that's the group I usually party with. But, this year a group at the Orpheum on the 28th is reinacting The War of The Worlds and it will play on the local radio station on Halloween night.  So, I'm thinking of going to see that and stay home handing out candy and listening on Halloween night

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:17 PM »

Time to feed the cats. They were so calm and peaceful moments ago, now they are body slamming each other all over the place. Food should stop that.

Jennifer

« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2006, 03:08:46 PM »

Re: American Idol.

I think that being a pop star requires more than just having a good voice. I guess that is why i am okay with someone more charismatic doing better than someone who is dull.  Although that doesn't always even happen.

As for DANCING WITH THE STARS, I think in the same way that mario is favored because he is so good, emmitt has to be favored because he is most popular.  I'd actually never heard of mario before this show. But emmitt has millions of fans.  He is entertaining and he tries hard. BUt it just bugs me that he is almost guaranteed to win.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2006, 03:15:17 PM »

I think that being a pop star requires more than just having a good voice. I guess that is why i am okay with someone more charismatic doing better than someone who is dull.  Although that doesn't always even happen.

What I HEAR is all that matters when listening to a CD or the radio.

And then there's that "charismatic" reference.  Taylor Hicks...big old goober.  Katherine McPhee...not-as-pretty-as-she-thinks-she-is girl with an off-pitch singing style.

YUCK!  Nothing charismatic 'bout them in my book.

Fantasia charismatic?  She wishes that would happen.

Ruben charismatic?  WHO?  Ruben?  Was there a Ruben?

And as for Carrie what's-her-name who beat out Bo Bice (and Constantine Maroulis)....P-YEW!  

Outside of Kelly Clarkson, the "judge-driven" winners have pretty much been a washout.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:21:14 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2006, 03:49:08 PM »

Ask BK Day:

Do you know (or did you know) an actress in L.A. by the name of CJ Hincks, or Candace Hincks, or sometimes Candy Hincks?  She did a lot of episodic TV in the 70s and 80s.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2006, 03:52:19 PM »

Re: American Idol.

As for DANCING WITH THE STARS, I think in the same way that mario is favored because he is so good, emmitt has to be favored because he is most popular.  I'd actually never heard of mario before this show. But emmitt has millions of fans.  He is entertaining and he tries hard. BUt it just bugs me that he is almost guaranteed to win.

LOL, what bugs me is that I get the feeling they will find a way for Mario to win. Where did you find the stats on who is getting the most votes? I've been meaning to ask you for the site

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »

Votes...that's another false indicator of who "should" win.

Some folks call in hundreds of votes, each, for each competition...not an indicator at all of how many people like this performer or that one...but only an indicator of who has a few fans willing to call the most times to put their favorite ahead.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 03:57:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2006, 04:01:00 PM »

Thanks for the additional pictures of the Seattle and Tacoma HHW gatherings. Always great to see fellow DRs "in the flesh."

Oh, I hope Tomovoz doesn't show those pictures!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up