Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: O. TANNENBAUM  (Read 30652 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:O. TANNENBAUM
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2006, 07:16:04 PM »

The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2006, 07:18:17 PM »

Make sure to write that all down in a letter and send it to the north pole. Who knows if he will read todays posts!

Everybody reads today's posts!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2006, 07:29:48 PM »

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES,
[/color]

TO PENNYO AND (the recovering) DAN THE MAN!
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2006, 07:32:37 PM »

I am not sure what she is doing.

Perhaps, embalming him?
“One thing’s universal,

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »

I was hoping DR Sandra would tell an amusing story about preschool.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2006, 07:38:31 PM »

I just filed my first online complaint on the donotcall.gov website for a company that just called us. I wonder if anything will happen.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »

I was hoping DR Sandra would tell an amusing story about preschool.

Now, Laura, I am going to have to charge you a toll.
“One thing’s universal,

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2006, 07:59:08 PM »

Hi all various and sundried DRs and H/Ks .... I hope everyone is having a good evening.

I feel badly for everyone who is facing crappy weather, erupting mountains, raging wildfires, and insane crappy relatives !  Things are a lot calmer here in the rather quiet old desert.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2006, 08:01:16 PM »

Dear Esteemed, theremined, and titallating BK --  I sure hope that you read my post from yesterday, because it sounded earlier here like you had missed it.  I'm repeating it here, below:
------  -------  -------  -------  --------- -------  --------  -------

And what am I not happy about??  .... well, because the session Wednesday is in the evening, it conflicts with a little bit of paying work I have that evening, and so I can't come over and listen.  Poo !  Yuck !!  Drek !!  Merde !! Birdy Num-Nums !!

But on my next trip over, I shall take you for a belated Christmas/Hannukah dinner at Musso & Frank's .  We shall sup, and feast, and gorge, and eat shrimp cocktail shrimp, and stuff our gaping maws........pounded steak with country gravy !!

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »

I've been laying in bed trying to get to sleep, but I just realized I have way more to do at work than I have time to do it in and my head is spinning with things that need to be done. I haven't had this happen in a long time and while a part of me is irritated as hell about it, it's kind of nice to be really busy again.  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:22:08 PM by Cillaliz »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2006, 08:34:21 PM »

I've just awakened from a two hour nap. I felt myself sliding into sleep and just closed down all the theater equipment rather than waste the lap in the TV and electricity for the other components.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2006, 08:36:09 PM »

I did manage to watch a film tonight. DODGEBALL, the unrated edition. Honestly, I didn't see anything in it that wasn't in the first released version of the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »

I did watch two MEDIUM episodes on disc 4 in the set.

The first was a return visit from that Victorian era "butcher doctor" who this time used Ariel to distract Allison from his true plan. Tense, upsetting episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2006, 08:39:05 PM »

The other dealt with a vision Allison had of a teenaged boy wiping out his entire school in an assault. She awoke to find that the child, actually age 7, was missing.

A very sad but ultimately fulfilling drama.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:39:32 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2006, 08:41:35 PM »

I also am enjoying my slow but steady trek through the book KATE. Though the author said the biography wasn't going to be a chronological history of the lady, it has pretty much been that way after the preface and opening chapter.

I've now gotten to the section on her infamous Broadway return in THE LAKE.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2006, 08:47:38 PM »

Jane, glad to hear that you have a lovely chat with PennyO.. Sherlock must have adored playing with Penny.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »

Heading off to bed now.

Good night!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2006, 09:02:00 PM »

Oddly listening to a story on NIghtline about Los Angeles' obsession with a White Christmas and some places actually putting snow on display. Ironically, it will be our first christmas here in a number of years that we have had not snow.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2006, 09:02:46 PM »

Pleasant dreams Matt!

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2006, 09:22:26 PM »

Did I miss anything?

It seems we will not be having a white Christmas this year. Black is the colour of our land.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:52 PM »

The Adventure of the Chocolate Bar, the Underpants, and the Paper Plate

Preschool started off normal. Wednesday is chapel day, so instead of having circle time this morning, we went and heard about Baby Jesus, the shepherds, and the angels. Then we took some toys from the toy drive across the street to the food bank/ clothing bank/ whatever else bank run by the church the school is at. We sang one of our Christmas songs to the workers there and they gave the kids chocolate bars. Then we snaked back across the street to school, put the candy in the kids' cubbies, and washed up for snack.

After snack, my class (the three-year-olds) has playground time. The teacher takes her break for the first fifteen minutes, so that's when I am In Charge. *Cue ominous music* I was pushing the girls on the swings in turns and the boys were playing this game they invented called Bucket Chase. It involves running around with buckets and is very noisy. Every once in a while, I would do a quick head count to make sure everyone was present, accounted for, and relatively uninjured. Three girls and five boys. One of the boys, Cameron-- the "ganch" from Halloween ("ganch" being Cameronian for "skunk")-- came over and asked me (in fluent Cameronian) to push him on the swings. I told him I would push him after Ashton, whose turn came after Toni's. So he waited while I pushed Toni and then Ashton. Then Toni wanted me to take her across the monkey bars. That only takes a few seconds, so I told Cameron I would push him after that. After I got Toni across, I did another head count. Toni was by the monkey bars, the other two girls and Cameron were on the swings, and Brandon, Brody, and Stephen were playing Bucket Chase. That's seven kids. I was missing one.

I asked the kids if they knew where Owen was and they said no. So I told Cameron I had to find Owen and would push him later. Usually when you can't find a kid it's because he or she is behind the playhouse, even though they know they're not allowed back there. So I looked behind the playhouse. Owen wasn't back there. He also wasn't inside the playhouse or in the tunnels or in the fort under the slide where the boys like to hang out. I looked in the bathroom, and he was in one of the stalls, even though he knows he's supposed to ask first. Owen is developmentally delayed and he has trouble with some things, so I asked him if he was okay, and he said he was, so I went out to go push Cameron on the swings. But before I could do that, I had to help Brandon and Stephen untangle the wagon from a tricycle for their post-Bucket Chase lap around the bike path. Then the girls wanted hula hoops (or "hoopah hoops") from the shed where we stash the toys. After we got all that straightened out, I went back to the bathroom to check on Owen.

Here this turns into a potty story, so if you plan on consuming chocolate or lemonade in the near future, you might want to stop reading.

Anyway, I got into the bathroom, and there was Owen, standing out in the middle of the bathroom, with his shoes, pants, and underpants on the floor in front of him instead of on him where they belong. Luckily, his shirt reached down to his thighs, otherwise I would have to gouge out my eyes and run off the nearest cliff. I asked him what had happened and he told me he had wet his pants. He does this every once in a while, so he knows the routine. Take off your shoes, pants, and underpants and Cassandra (I'm not sure why they call me that) will get you a clean set of clothes.

So I told Cameron I would push him in just a little while, and went and got Owen's spare clothes. I'm not supposed to spend much time in the bathroom when I'm the only one on playground duty because I need to watch the other seven kids. So I gave Owen his clean pants and underpants and a plastic bag to put the dirties in and went back out to the playground. I was on my way to the swings where Cameron was still waiting patiently, but first I had to have a little talk with Stephen about why he needs to stay sitting on his tuchas (the new word I taught them-- they're very fond of it) while he's riding in the wagon. Then I went to go check on Owen again. He was standing in the middle of the bathroom, still bottomless, with his underpants on his head, and eating the chocolate bar he'd gotten earlier that morning. Only I didn't realize it was chocolate because that was supposed to stay in his cubby and I thought I was looking at something really disgusting. Then I saw the empty candy wrapper, and I have to say I was relieved.

I took the underpants off his head, made him put down the chocolate, and forced him into his underpants and pants. Oy. Luckily, he kept his shirt down. Then we washed our hands and went back to the playground. Cameron was still sitting there, waiting patiently. I pushed him on the swings an extra-long time.

After we got back into the classroom, we colored some pictures, and then it was time for lunch. Lunch today was bologna sammintses, which many of you know by the name "sandwiches." As usual, Kayla only ate the outside of her sammints and pointed to the cheese and bologna on her plate and said what she says every day at lunch: "I don't like this, Cassandra." Somehow, that always leads to the kids calling me Chicken-Head. I told them to settle down and eat their lunches. Along with their sammintses, they had carrot and celery sticks, cucumber, pear slices, and tomato soup. They ate the sammintses pretty well, except Kayla but that's normal for her. And they ate the pears and some of the soup. They even choked down some of the carrot sticks because I call them bunny rabbits when they do and they like that. But they wouldn't eat their celery. I really want them to eat their vegetables and I have found a way to make sure they do.

It all started this one time Kayla, queen of the picky eaters, wouldn't eat any of her lunch. I told her to eat her celery and she said, "YOU eat YOUR celery!" I said, "I did," and I showed her my empty plate. She said, "Eat your plate!" I said, "What?" She said, "Eat your plate, Cassandra!" I said I would eat a bite of my paper plate if she ate all her celery. I didn't think she would actually eat her celery, you see, because we'd been arguing back and forth about that celery for half an hour. She had that stick of celery scarfed down in seconds. Paper plate is a lot like tofu. It's chewy and it doesn't really taste like anything, but it goes down easily. She had the time of her life watching me eat that thing. Well worth the celery she had to gag down.

"Eat your plate, Cassandra!" has become Kayla's other catchphrase, in addition to "I don't like this, Cassandra." So today, when I told them to stop calling me Chicken-Head and eat their lunches, Kayla said (all together, now), "Eat your plate, Cassandra!" I said I would eat a bite of my plate if each kid ate at least one stick of celery. You wouldn't believe how they gobbled those things down. Then they all gathered around me and watched me eat my papery dessert.

So that was my day. Don't tell me I'm not dedicated.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »

DR Dan (the Man) -- if you are reading today, I am also delighted to see you posting again.

Please continue.

Thank you, sir.  

BTW, I recently downloaded what is reported to be the soundtrack of the 1963 TV broadcast of Amahl and the Night Visitors.  I've yet to listen to it, but when I do I'll give a report and send you a copy if you are so inclined.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2006, 09:36:59 PM »

I liked your story, DR Sandra (I was getting nervous about the whole underpants/chocolate thing, though.)

And make sure you never serve the celery sticks on Chinet plates.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45:16 PM »

I liked your story, DR Sandra (I was getting nervous about the whole underpants/chocolate thing, though.)

And make sure you never serve the celery sticks on Chinet plates.

YOU were nervous?

And I'm worried about what will happen when we serve celery on the styrofoam plates we use with heavy or wet food. I had a foster kitten who used to eat styrofoam, so I know it can be done. But I don't think I'm ready for that kind of commitment.

MBarnum

« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2006, 09:45:22 PM »

Sandra dear you just made me laugh very heartily with that story!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #175 on: December 20, 2006, 09:46:11 PM »

of course if you have not had your fill of Christmas tunes you may desire to add this one to your home-made CD collection!

http://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2006/12/worstalbumever.html

Oh, my gosh!  My family had this album when I was a youngen!  I've been looking for it for years!  Thank you for posting this, DR MBarnum.  I shall download it at once!

Downloading this now, in fact.  As I do, I am recalling that I often would play it at 16 rpm in order to hear the David Seville imposter's voice(s).

Isn't it a shame that kids today can't play MP3s at the wrong speeds?  They're missing out on a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 09:56:04 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2006, 10:07:52 PM »

Interesting tale Sandra!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #177 on: December 20, 2006, 10:09:03 PM »

The last time I recall playing a record at the wrong speed was Bruce Springsteen's  BORN IN THE USA album.  At 45 rpm, he sounded just like Dolly Parton.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #178 on: December 20, 2006, 10:15:37 PM »

It seems we will not be having a white Christmas this year.

What - no snowy summers in OZ?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2006, 10:43:15 PM »

So that was my day. Don't tell me I'm not dedicated.

And then they jumped up on the table and barked at you!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up