Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: WINTER SOLSTICE  (Read 42926 times)

Cillaliz

Re:WINTER SOLSTICE
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2006, 11:57:04 AM »

It's grown terriby foggy here. Still warm enough that we just had an inch of rain overnight and no snow.  I really wouldn't mind some snow as long as we miss the freezing rain and ice

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2006, 11:58:37 AM »

IT'S OFFICIAL!! (click on the title)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

How about a page 4 holiday waltz -  as I waltz off to court for two more hearings.....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2006, 12:00:20 PM »

The solstice was sacred among teh Druids long ago in Ireland and England...

Here is a link for seeing the sun enter Newgrange in Ireland.

http://www.mythicalireland.com/ancientsites/newgrange/illumination.html

IT signifies the rebirth of the sun...

here is another site also

http://www.candlegrove.com/solstice.html

DakotaCelt, the link that you posted was somehow not correct, so I fixed it in the quote above. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2006, 12:12:51 PM »

Back from a brisk jog - not an easy jog, but we got the jog job done.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2006, 12:23:01 PM »

Packaged up a couple more orders and shall now drive about in my motor car, and then go to Ye Olde Poste Office at two.

FJL

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »

A JOG WELL DONE - a new musical about a middle-aged Marathoner (oh, wait, that's been done)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »

I think the Jon Hall movie is the one I remember - was there another Universal film from the same period that's an Arabian Nights film?  Maybe the other one I remember is Son of Sinbad - but I think I also remember a second Arabian Nights film - I think both were on laserdisc.  Are those films on DVD yet?

Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves/Arabian Nights (1942) - both released on the same LaserDisk by MCA/Universal on 1993

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2006, 12:31:51 PM »

T-Shirt of the day:

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2006, 12:32:36 PM »

It is lunch time and I have nothing to post...but since I don't see a page 4 dance yet, let us let one of my favorite Bollywood actors, Akshay Kumar, have the floor....

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2006, 12:39:53 PM »

Ok, I do have something to post...how do people like Virginia Representative Virgil Goode ever get elected! People like him scare the heck out of me....Lawmaker Fears Election of 'More Muslims'
 -->http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/lawmaker-fears-election-of-more-muslims/20061220182909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:41:10 PM by MBarnum »

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2006, 12:45:04 PM »

BK, I totally agree about the tracks...I like it when the tracks start when the music starts and the patter is left at the end of the previous song. I'm sure the DJs appreciate it, too!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »

Off to Ye Olde Post Office here as well!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2006, 12:53:20 PM »

Ok, I do have something to post...how do people like Virginia Representative Virgil Goode ever get elected! People like him scare the heck out of me....Lawmaker Fears Election of 'More Muslims'
 -->http://news.aol.com/elections/story/_a/lawmaker-fears-election-of-more-muslims/20061220182909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Sadly, he probably represents the majority of his voting constituents.

der Brucer

This whole "taking the oath on the Koran" bit really annoys me. If someone is to take an oath, I want him to take it on "his book", not "my book". The same logic should apply to seasons greetings: I should wish you a "Happy (your day)", not a Happy (my day)". To knowlingly wish a Jew "Merry Christmas" is not just insensitive, it's silly!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »

DR Marnum's region has provided me fodder for one of my recent conversational gambits; goes like this:

You, there is a major problem with Mexican immigrant laborers have language problems.

Know why?

Because they cant speak English, or SPANISH!!!!
They speak one of the other 161 languages used in Mexico today.

Do you where, geographically this is a major problem?

TRY OREGON!

Read about it HERE

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »

Sort of TOTD:
I did see a Pantomime presentation of "Aladdin" in London in 1975. It was very long and had so many current pop songs thrown in to the show.  Some of the younger cast members of Upstairs Downstairs were in the show.

I prefer the "score" for the 1964/5 5 version with Cliff Richard and The Shadows.  It had the song "I Could Easily Fall In Love" and the instrumental "Genie With The Light Brown Lamp"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2006, 01:10:20 PM »

Associated Press
der Brucer (and the birds weren't raised on soy milk!)

Yes, this controversy is going on here right now, but the latest decision is that the book has gone back on the shelves until a committee is formed to discuss the relative merits of the book.

BTW, if I read the article in today's paper correctly, the parent here objected after reading about a successful removal of the book in Ohio, I believe, or it may have been Missouri.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »

A sneak peak at elmoore's sitting room:

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2006, 01:14:58 PM »

I watched several shows on DVD this afternoon.

I began with the remaining shows on disc 4 in the MEDIUM set which I had begun last night.

This one involved a man who smothered prostitutes and then buried them in the desert. Allison happened upon the man at a clinic having an MRI done after she slipped and banged her head on the floor. The only thing was the man at the clinic was so friendly and non-threatening. She got no hostile vibe from him at all in person, only in her dreams. What's more, when she dropped hints to him about prostitutes and the desert, he had no reaction of fear of discovery which left her even more perplexed.

Good little mystery.

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2006, 01:16:57 PM »

Finished off the MEDIUM disc 4 with a poignant episode in which we learn that Allison and Joe lost a male child early in their marriage. Allison began having a series of dreams of their boy now a 15 year old in trouble.

One of the most heart-wrenching of the Season 2 episodes.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2006, 01:18:35 PM »

In attempting to get through my usual Christmas movie selection, today came NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION. This was always one of my ex-partner's favorite movies. I have always found it only fun in spots, but it's kind of a ritual, so I ran it this afternoon as I packed gifts up to take to the party tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »

And I finished my viewing this afternoon with A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS which I hadn't seen thus far this season. I didn't see it on TV when ABC showed it this year, and I hadn't gotten around to it until today.

The DVD transfer looked better than I remembered which was something of a relief since I thought the Thanksgiving show looked worse than I remembered.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »

A sneak peak at elmoore's sitting room:

der Brucer

Did our DR MBarnum pass that photo of my palatial estate to you?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »

Thanks for correcting the link George...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2006, 01:36:13 PM »

Sinbad the Sailor (1947) - RKO (on DVD)

Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
Maureen O'Hara
Walter Slezak
Anthony Quinn

Is Walter Slezak any relation to Erika Slezak, an actress on One Life to Live?

I will have to check some of these movies out at some point. Enjoying the Sondheim in the Movies cd that I picked up from the library.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2006, 01:36:25 PM »

Did our DR MBarnum pass that photo of my palatial estate to you?

Indeed he did - with complaints about how you had him on his knees scrubbing the hearth.

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2006, 01:37:32 PM »

Just got back from picking up the gift certificates for my neices and nephews. Lovely day here with temps around 40. Unusually nice for here in December and I am not complaining.

Stay dry Cilla...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2006, 01:43:20 PM »

One group a few years ago tried to get Harry Potter banned in the libraries in Fargo and they failed. The same group tried this past year to get several books banned from the Fargo NOrth High School including  several John Grisham novels yet they allowed graphic science fiction novels. Go figure! They have lost that battle also!

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2006, 01:47:48 PM »

I like the Arabian Tales too. Maybe it's because the "baddies" always get their just deserts. (Groans and all that).
The biggest desert groan was "Ishtar"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2006, 01:47:51 PM »

BTW, if I read the article in today's paper correctly, the parent here objected after reading about a successful removal of the book in Ohio, I believe, or it may have been Missouri.

Illinois - Charotte-Observer

Congrats to your School Sup for stepping up to the plate.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up