Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MILK DUDS  (Read 44018 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re:MILK DUDS
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2007, 08:50:45 AM »

Ha-ha-ha ~ you HHWers crack me up --- as our Grand  Poo-Paw would say, where else on the net would you find folks discussing defective teats, frozen nipples, and... etc. etc etc... :o..... :)

MISS KAREN,
I, for one, never thought I'd be discussing underwear and frozen nipples on a public Internet site. As for private emails...

But, then again, look at what's on TV. Our banter here may be sillly at times, but it's of far higher calibre!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »

Was your mother Irish?

(if not, she's an honorary one now...)

German/English

But the large Italian/Polish/Irish immigrant community in Philly
surely influenced family habits.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2007, 08:54:01 AM »

Well... I almost forgot that I have to be down on 38th Street in an hour to play auditions...  Oops!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »

Um, make that "Pictures". Sheesh.

Pictures, pitchers - all good funeral talk!

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2007, 08:57:39 AM »

Advice for the funeral home: Decide ahead of time exactly what you want and be united. Funeral directors are about as pushy as car salesmen.

I certainly concur with all the remarks about deciding ahead of time what you want, who gets what, etc. I am an only child, so I didn't have to deal with conflicts from siblings. I also apparently lucked out in that the people I dealt with at the funeral home were kind and sensitive. It hadn't dawned on me that they could be pushy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »

But, then again, look at what's on TV. Our banter here may be sillly at times, but it's of far higher calibre!

On HHW, we serve no "dish" before its time!

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2007, 09:00:34 AM »

Ben -  Thanks for your comments re my FOLLIES comments.  :)  I decided to float my "FOLLIES as special event" thoughts on that theater chat board, and risk seeing if people think I'm just plum crazy (well, i am crazy, but I mean, about this particular topic) or if it just sits on that board like so much fish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2007, 09:01:50 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Nice blue sky out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2007, 09:02:43 AM »

Methinks dear reader Jeanne means Stayin' Alive not Being Alive - I've never heard Mr. Sondheim's Being Alive as a disco song, although I'd like to.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2007, 09:06:50 AM »

DR Lar,

I just landed at my second session and now have the opportunity to catch up. I am in tears thinking about your loss but also how relieved you must feel that your father isn't in pain anymore. I am so glad that you were able to be there to spend those last days with him.

I'm sure my GaGa is showing him around the other side right now!

Peace, love and blessings to you and your family.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #100 on: February 15, 2007, 09:09:35 AM »

Found in Edisaurus' shopping cart:

I hadn't heard, but I've always thought he was quite yummy!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »

I also apparently lucked out in that the people I dealt with at the funeral home were kind and sensitive. It hadn't dawned on me that they could be pushy.

I, too, was fortunate. The Funeral Director had an itemized "flat-fee" for his basic services and profit. The caskets were in a showroom with clear detailed labeling including prices, and we were encouraged to browse, alone, and discuss amongst ourselves.

Mom had made clear that she though money spent on a casket was a total waste- just a plain pine box would be fine (she even considered buying one ahead of time and using it for a blanket chest!) When my sister and I went to the showroom to look at caskets, the criteria for selection was clear - the cheapest one would do!

Well...the cheapest casket was a flocked fiber-glass "thingie" that looked like a Star-Trek reject. I'm sure Mom would not have cared; on the other hand, no way was I standing in the church aisle along side that monstrosity! We bought an inexpensive polished wood version to appease my vanity.

Mourning is for the living!

der Brucer
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:11:19 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »

I've never heard Mr. Sondheim's Being Alive as a disco song, although I'd like to.

Bite your tongue!

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2007, 09:19:18 AM »

Methinks dear reader Jeanne means Stayin' Alive not Being Alive - I've never heard Mr. Sondheim's Being Alive as a disco song, although I'd like to.

Yes, of course. STAYIN' ALIVE is the title I was thinking of.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »

Maybe STAYIN' AWAKE would help me right now.

Edisaurus

« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2007, 09:22:10 AM »

Last night, after the big vow renewal party, we settled in by the fire with the happy couple and several other friends. We talked about their father, who passed on last year. Several years ago, I had done a video transfer for them of 9.5 Pathex home movies and edited it together with music and titles to identify all the family members for future generations who might watch it. The father had tried for years to be able to see this film, which was taken in 1927 when he was a little boy, on a French camera that is now rare.

On his last Christmas, the huge family opened their presents and then told the father that they had one more present. They brought him into the den and showed him the film and he couldn't believe it!

The family told me that he watched that film every day until he passed on, and he and his sister, who were estranged, reunited after she got her copy. As we were talking about his death and funeral last night, I couldn't help but think of Larry's dad and wonder how things were going. We started talking about how we wanted our funerals to be, and everyone seemed shocked that both the "bride" and I had already chosen the music for our funerals.

It made me think...is this weird, or have other DR's chosen a song or two for their funeral? If so, what would they be?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »

Mom had made clear that she though money spent on a casket was a total waste- just a plain pine box would be fine (she even considered buying one ahead of time and using it for a blanket chest!)

der Brucer

I think I would have liked your mother.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »

The family told me that he watched that film every day until he passed on, and he and his sister, who were estranged, reunited after she got her copy. As we were talking about his death and funeral last night, I couldn't help but think of Larry's dad and wonder how things were going. We started talking about how we wanted our funerals to be, and everyone seemed shocked that both the "bride" and I had already chosen the music for our funerals.

It made me think...is this weird, or have other DR's chosen a song or two for their funeral? If so, what would they be?

What a nice story!

I haven't gotten as far as choosing a song for my funeral. Neither of my parents wanted funerals, so we (I) didn't hold them. I do have a will and have given intructions to my executor. I'm definitely of the "Decide what you want and make your wishes clear" school. I'm so glad my dad was sensible and we went over everything while he was still alive.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »

Dumb, dunb, dumb!

New George Washington $1 Coin Makes Debut
Thursday , February 15, 2007

WASHINGTON —
The newest $1 coin, bearing the likeness of George Washington, is going into circulation around the country just in time for next week's celebration of the first president's birthday.

U.S. Mint officials hope they have overcome problems that doomed its two predecessors, but coin experts are still skeptical.

The Mint is making sure the coins, which are golden in color and slightly larger and thicker than a quarter, will be widely available so people will not be disappointed when they show up at banks looking for the coins.

I'm sure all cash-register drawers have been modified to accommodate dollar coins (just like they handle 50 cent pieces and two dollar bills!) However, I'm sure the NYC PATH terminal ticket machines and the Post Office Vending machines will be ready to go!

In most areas, gentleman's coin purses are not in fashion.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »

I forgot to mention that we have finally solved the mystery of why we could never get the Deceit DVD on amazon.  When the gentleman who used to do those listings tried he got an error message saying the barcode wasn't correct.  We doublechecked with our designer and that just wasn't so.  We wrote amazon but got the usual form response nonsense that told us nothing.  

So, yesterday I tried again, and got the same error message - I wrote them and finally got a human being to respond - apparently our designer accidentally reused a barcode from the CD he'd just done - hence the same barcode twice.  I got a new barcode number (and we have to print up some for me to tape over the old), entered it, and voila - in seven days the Deceit DVD will be up on amazon - about eight months after the fact.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2007, 09:35:16 AM »

...after the big vow renewal party...

A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y - what's to renew?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »

I think I would have liked your mother.

It took me many years, but I finally learned to return the love.

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »

TOD:

Touch Me In The Morning
My Sharonna
Midnight At The Oasis
You're So Vain
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?
Me And Mrs Jones
Heart Of Gold
Poetry Man
Still Crazy After All These Years
Maggie May
Tin Man
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

Dumb, dunb, dumb!

New George Washington $1 Coin Makes Debut I'm sure all cash-register drawers have been modified to accommodate dollar coins (just like they handle 50 cent pieces and two dollar bills!) However, I'm sure the NYC PATH terminal ticket machines and the Post Office Vending machines will be ready to go!

In most areas, gentleman's coin purses are not in fashion.

der Brucer

George Washington doesn't even look happy about this.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:50 AM »

And, Silly, Sillly, Silly:

Group Says Hybrid Cars Are Too Quiet

Threaten Pedestrian Safety
Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Hybrid cars have been hailed as the answer to a litany of problems in the U.S., from global warming to gas prices. But now one group is labeling them as something else: a threat.

According to the National Federation of the Blind, hybrid cars, which run on an energy efficient mix of gasoline and electricity, are problematic for children, elderly pedestrians and the blind.

Why? Hybrids are much quieter than their conventional counterparts, so silent that the NFB says that they can be difficult to hear coming down the street. The group conducted tests to try to prove their point.
In order to make the cars more audible and safer, the NFB would like to see manufacturers of the vehicles emit a signal or sound that would alert pedestrians and others of an oncoming car.

Great idea - a siren on every car! - Won't Manhattan sound swell!

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2007, 09:57:49 AM »

Larry, my deepest sympathy plus love and strength for what comes next.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2007, 09:57:51 AM »

When my dad died, our family was lucky in that the funeral director was a family friend who was a tremendous help in keeping things simple and sane for my mother (I can remember them joking about what kind of clothing my dad should be buried in.)  The only tension that came up during that week was when I decided that I wanted to be a pall barer and my uncle, trying to assert some self-presumed authority, forbid it saying that my place was to be next to my mother during the funeral.  My mom, bless her, ignored my uncle and told me to do what I desired.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2007, 10:00:24 AM »

Least favorite 70s song:  "At Seventeen".  What a downer!
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2007, 10:01:56 AM »

I guess I will be buried in my Go-Me-Go Duds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »

Randy, Tom and I have been to the funeral home and spent a tidy sum of money on the works, including the color guard to send him off in style as a WWII veteran.  The coffin is beautiful, and everything now is accomplished: visitation Saturday morning from 11 AM to 1, followed by the service.  I think the obituary reads quite nicely for tomorrow's paper.

Tom made a brilliant request that in lieu of flowers donations be made to Hospice of Middletown, and I'm quite pleased with that.

I dropped my trousers off to this cute little Greek(?) tailor between the age of 60 and 1000 who measured my waist and wrote "open all seams."  He'll have the work done tomorrow and the cost is $10.00!  Find that in New York!  The lady with the accent to whom I spoke yesterday about the job was nowhere to be seen this morning.  And if the work ends up lousy, I'll run up to the mall and buy a suit tomorrow.

After that, a trek to the bank to empty dad's safe deposit box: insurance premiums, a CD for $7000 and my mother's wedding rings, which dad left to Randy's daughter Allison.

Now, I have to call the american Legion in an attempt to locate his discharge papers from the navy.  But first, some lunch!

DR Miss Karen, how did you know we're Irish? Did the name Moore give us away?  We're mostly Irish and Scots, but there's a soupcon of German on my mother's side (Brandenburgs, dontcha know!).

Dear Hainsies and Kimlets, Thank you for all the sympathy, support, and kindness.  I love you all from the bottom of my heart.  Thank you! Thank you!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up