Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: SWEDISH NOTES  (Read 48131 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SWEDISH NOTES
« Reply #390 on: June 13, 2007, 04:39:38 PM »

And the word of the day is: SELCOUTH!
Christina, the fashion designer, outdid herself when she used paper clips, cancelled credit cards, and other SELCOUTH odds and ends to CLOTHE US.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #391 on: June 13, 2007, 04:41:19 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were very Swedish, and now it is time for you to post until the Swedish cows come home.  They're currently in Denmark having a sex-change operation.
The cows are having sex-change operations?  That's a lotta bull.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #392 on: June 13, 2007, 04:41:35 PM »

As for the whole Kander & Ebb, Jones & Schmidt, etc., discussion... I believe "they" are basing the length of the career from the first Broadway show by each team to their current (new and running) Broadway show.  Productions of new works Off-Broadway and regionally aren't being considered.

But that's not what "they're" saying - if that's the game then they should state that's the game.  What they, in fact, say is that Kander and Ebb are the longest-running music and lyrics partnership in the history of musical theater and that is simply incorrect.  They don't specify for Broadway shows only or any of that stuff.  They don't specify that in order for them to make that statement that they count from the first B'way production to the latest.  Mr. Ebb died in 2004, so counting Curtains as this year isn't really fair - and if you go down that road then Schmidt and Jones are STILL the winners even if you start with first B'way show and don't count the Fantasticks - first Schmidt and Jones B'way show 110 In The Shade, opened in 1963, Flora in 1965.  In other words, Mr. Ebb hasn't written anything since 2004, hence that is when their partnership ended.  Whereas, Mr. Schmidt and Jones have written since that date.   There is no spin you can put on it that makes it come out Kander and Ebb.  I love John, and I liked Fred, but they don't win this game.

And, as I said, the key sentence is "longest-running partnership in musical comedy history" It's Schmidt and Jones all the way, followed by Maltby and Shire, followed by Kander and Ebb.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #393 on: June 13, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »

BK, is the new release an actual completely brand new CD and not a reissue?

Correct.

Speaking of a reissue, though, I'm currently thinking about reissuing Classical Broadway, which is classical chamber music by Charles Strouse, Cy Coleman, John Kander, and Harvey Schmidt.  Would there be interest?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #394 on: June 13, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »

Speaking of a reissue, though, I'm currently thinking about reissuing Classical Broadway, which is classical chamber music by Charles Strouse, Cy Coleman, John Kander, and Harvey Schmidt.  Would there be interest?

Umm...yes. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #395 on: June 13, 2007, 04:50:42 PM »

This came in an email.  I'd never heard about this, but it seems reasonable, so I thought I'd pass it on.

Microwaving Water!

(I did not know this, did you?)
 I  microwave water for coffee all the time .
Now, I don't think I will be doing it this way anymore.

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but suddenly the water in the cup "blew up" into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring.

He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc., (nothing metal).

It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.

General Electric's Response:

Thanks for contacting us, I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach th e boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds! before moving it or adding anything into it.

Here is what our local science teacher had to say on the matter: "Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur anytime water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than h alf a cup).

What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches inside it that provide a place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point.

What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid. The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened after having been shaken."
If you pass this on you could very well save someone from a lot of pain and suffering.

One way to avoid having water (or any other liquid) "blow up" from microwave boiling is to put a wooden skewer or something like that in the water.  This gives the liquid a rough surface along which it can form bubbles.

(Yep, I've heard of this before.)

singdaw

« Reply #396 on: June 13, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »

Would there be interest?

Sure!  :)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #397 on: June 13, 2007, 04:54:29 PM »

Correct.

YEP!  As I prepare music for the new bakery, I'm leaning toward mostly "insert composer here" in Jazz, and other instrumental's that you have produced.  So yeah, that would be awesome.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #398 on: June 13, 2007, 05:08:57 PM »

Fat, Glorious Fat, Moves to the Center of the Plate

DR Jane - You may want to abstain from reading the above article.  ;)

I should have listened to your warning  :P ;D

Jane

« Reply #399 on: June 13, 2007, 05:11:56 PM »

Dear BK and Dear Readers,

How old were you when your last baby tooth fell out?

I have a good memory regarding my childhood, but not that good ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #400 on: June 13, 2007, 05:13:53 PM »

AARRGGHH!!  

I needed to say that. >:( Yesterday, I ordered four items from the "rare vinyl" section of Footlight.com.  TODAY (I know, I know...I should've checked before I ordered ::)), I looked on eBay and there are TWO copies of one of the "rare" albums...and for much less than what I got it for at Footlight.com.  It's the New York Shakespeare Festival at Lincoln Center production recording of Threepenny Opera with Raul Julia.  The copies on eBay (right now) are available for $24.99 or $4.49.  Both say excellent/near mint vinyl.  I got the Footlight.com record for...more than that. :P However, I think that with the other records, overall I got a good deal.  All the others were half price!  And Footlight specified that the copy that I got was the quadrophonic version.  Maybe that'll justify the price difference (he said hopefully).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #401 on: June 13, 2007, 05:15:08 PM »

My last baby tooth came out in a Fruit Roll-Up on the school bus when I was thirteen.

Didn't you all want to know that?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #402 on: June 13, 2007, 05:15:26 PM »

Sandra, do retell the Swedish chef hat story in your own words.  Don't forget to include a photo of you in said hat. :)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #403 on: June 13, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »

My first baby tooth came out in a peanut butter sandwich when I was six.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #404 on: June 13, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »

A fruit roll up, I hope it wasn't too messy.

I do remember tying one end of a string to my tooth, and the other end to a door knob and then slamming the door shut.  I was so fearless back then.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #405 on: June 13, 2007, 05:19:29 PM »

A fruit roll up, I hope it wasn't too messy.

Messy, no. Crunchy, yes.

Jane

« Reply #406 on: June 13, 2007, 05:20:05 PM »

Sandra did you loose all your teeth while eating?  

I hate to mention what will eventually happen to your adult teeth if you continue to devour cherry coke.

Jane

« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #408 on: June 13, 2007, 05:22:17 PM »

Last night, I got the cast album of Grey Gardens.  Unfortunately, I didn't know the cover designs of each version and since Amoeba only had one I assumed it was the new B'way Cast Album.  It wasn't, it was the older one.  Now, I don't know how much the show has changed and I don't know if there's a bigger band on B'way, but the song performed on the Tony Awards show sounded a whole lot bigger than this recording sounds.  As always with PS Classics, the orchestra sounds like they're in a tiny closet somewhere, and the singers sound like they're in a slightly larger closet.  I suppose it's an art to make a band sound smaller than it is - not an art I favor or understand, however.  The same producer did the same thing on Sondheim's Bounce - took a fifteen or seventeen-piece band and made it sound like ten.

As to the score, I was a bit taken aback that it's basically one Sondheimesque song after another, with the same rhyme schemes, orchestral riffs, and Bruce Coughlin's orchestrations are real Jonathan Tunick wannabees.  There's one number where, at the end, they do the exact rhyme and rhythm scheme of Pretty Little Picture from Forum.  Do these writers today have nothing better to do than emulate Mr. Sondheim ad nauseum?  While I liked the number on the Tonys, this CD at least is a big bore.  Maybe the new B'way version is better, although I suspect that it will still sound like the band is in a closet.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #409 on: June 13, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »

Sandra did you loose all your teeth while eating?  

Just the first and the last. My molars had to be pulled because they were attached to my jawbone and wouldn't come out on their own.

One of the front ones came out when I rolled out of bed and onto my face.

The others were pretty uneventful, as I remember.

Jane

« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2007, 05:24:25 PM »

I remember the day my best friend lost her first tooth.  I just happened to have left my classroom for a walk to the bathroom when she came running out of her class trying to find me.  She was crying and scared.  I took care of her like the good Nursie I was even back then. ;D

Jane

« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »

Sandra, ouch and ouch.  I'm glad the rest were uneventful.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »

DR Jose treated me to a fantastic Mexican dinner and I'm back, tipsy from the margaritas, and feeling no pain!

ALL HAINSIE/KIMLETS COMING INTO NYC THE LAST WEEKEND OF JUNE, please PM me with such information as:
  1.  your dates
  2.  plans made so far
  3.  contact numbers
  4.  where you will be staying
  5.  If you're coming in from around the area, what day and times
  6.  If you live in Manhatta and want to see folk, what times are good for you.

DR Jose and I have to organize this shindig ASAP!

Thank you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #413 on: June 13, 2007, 05:32:33 PM »

ALL HAINSIE/KIMLETS COMING INTO NYC THE LAST WEEKEND OF JUNE, please PM me with such information as:
  1.  your dates
  2.  plans made so far

Thank you.

Hmm, if we left now.....
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #414 on: June 13, 2007, 05:34:19 PM »

For fans of BOSTON LEGAL:

I just read that Julie Bowen, Mark Valley, Rene Auberjonois and Constance Zimmer have all been let go from the show.

John Larouquette joins the firm next season, and Christian CLemmenson, who plays Jerry "Hands" Espinson, has become a series regular instead of a guest star.

Thanks for the update.  IMHO:

It’s obvious Clemmenson has become a regular, I’m pleased to see it is official.

And it’s been obvious for awhile now that Auberjonois isn’t really in the show anymore.

Just when Brad and Denise  finally becoming interesting, as a couple, they are out of the show.

I found Zimmer sto be a great addition, until they paired her up with Clarence & took away her spunky personality, such a shame.  

That leaves only one strong female lead in the show.  I wish they would keep Zimmer.

Jane

« Reply #415 on: June 13, 2007, 05:36:40 PM »

I really tried to make a trip to NY happen :'(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #416 on: June 13, 2007, 05:46:46 PM »

Boy would I love to come in to NY.  

Would there be interest if I could release the original soundtrack recording of Jacques Demy's Une Chambre Un Ville (A Room In Town), a gorgeous 100 minutes of music, mostly sung ala Umbrellas of Cherbourg - the score is by Michel Columbier and it's absolutley gorgeous.

I would do it as a limited edition of maybe 1200 copies.  The sound is spectacular, but the film is virtually unknown - never had a US release and bombed in France.

Jane

« Reply #417 on: June 13, 2007, 05:55:26 PM »

I apologize if someone already mentioned this, but today is not Flag Day, tomorrow is.  My sister was born on Flag Day so I never forget the date.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #418 on: June 13, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »

DR Jose treated me to a fantastic Mexican dinner and I'm back, tipsy from the margaritas, and feeling no pain!

1.  your dates
  2.  plans made so far
  3.  contact numbers
  4.  where you will be staying
  5.  If you're coming in from around the area, what day and times
  6.  If you live in Manhatta and want to see folk, what times are good for you.

DR Jose and I have to organize this shindig ASAP!

Thank you.

I wish I could say that I would be visiting Manhatta at the end of June.  Unfortunately, it was not to be this year.  Maybe I can swing a visit to LA for the fundraiser in November.

In the mean time, I will have to console myself with a few days in Las Vegas, while the HHW group is gathering in NY.  I do know that even though I am not in NY, I will still be seeing PHANTOM - THE VEGAS SPECTACULAR starring one of Broadway's brightest stars, Brent Barrett.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #419 on: June 13, 2007, 06:00:47 PM »

Are we almost to Page............

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up