Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OPENING SALVO  (Read 35847 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE OPENING SALVO
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2008, 02:29:05 PM »

Another thirtysomething fan, here!

I could handle everything about the show except the character Elliot.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »

Ooh! Ooh!

I went and started

[size=8] PAGE 8 [/size][/color][/glow]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2008, 02:31:29 PM »

OH!... And I had a nice "surprise" yesterday too... I stepped on my scale for the first time since before Christmas.  I was totally expecting to have put on a few holiday pounds, but, lo and behold, I actually lost two!  Not a bad way to start the New Year.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #213 on: January 09, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »

...And as for the Bach and the Brahms...  My fingers actually "remembered" more of the Bach than I thought they would.  The Brahms didn't come back as easy, but after playing through a few of the Intermezzi...  I actually started to cry a little bit.  That's some beautiful music.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »

I must see PARICHAY.

Yes, you MUST.  You really MUST!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »

From Jose:

I’ll have a slice of
artichoke pie and a Levain’s cookie.

Hmm... Those Di Fara pizzas are truly wonderful.  I just wish they were a bit closer to where I live, and didn't require two subway transfers.  However, maybe that's a good thing.

*However, the original location of Patsy's in East Harlem is just two subway stops and a five block walk away.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #216 on: January 09, 2008, 02:35:58 PM »

I just discovered that there is a Bollywood remake of THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

It is from 1972 and titled PARICHAY.

Just in case anyone ever wondered.

Was this with the Rodgers and Hammerstein score?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #217 on: January 09, 2008, 02:36:56 PM »

I was totally expecting to have put on a few holiday pounds, but, lo and behold, I actually lost two!  Not a bad way to start the New Year.  :)

Oh, don't think of them as "lost."  Think of them as temporarily "misplaced."

;D

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #218 on: January 09, 2008, 02:39:11 PM »

A very funny joke, DR Tom. Thanks for sharing it.  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2008, 02:40:12 PM »

Now, I must write a bit and then head back down to make the BIG decision about what to watch tonight on Blu-ray.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2008, 02:41:55 PM »

I don't know how many remember 30something. I loved the show. I think it was either a love/hate thing because I have friends who cringe at the thought of watching it. I didn't see the first few episodes but the first one I did see had me right away. I loved it and watched every episode until it was over. I did see the very first episode sometime after I had become a fan (in reruns)and weekly watcher and thought, if I had seen this as the very first episode I don't know if I would have continued watching or become so attached to the show, so I'm glad I didn't see it from the beginning because I might have dropped the show and missed (IMHO) something special.

Count me in as a another "thirtysomething" fan.  -I even bought and still have that book of scripts they released.

When I was in college, the director I worked with and his wife - who was the costume designer - were also big "thirtysomething" fans.  So much so, that our Wednesday rehearsals (or whichever night it was on), started earlier, and ended at 9:30 so that we could all get home to watch that night's episode.

And, yes, Ken Olin in a bathrobe standing at the top of the stairs looking down at Hope.... Hmm...

*I also had a crush on David Marshall Grant.  -And remember all the controversy over having him and Peter Frechette kiss?  -However, I did think it was still quite "adult" to show them in bed together post-encounter.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

Oh, don't think of them as "lost."  Think of them as temporarily "misplaced."

;D

...And I'm guessing what "happened" in South Carolina, didn't stay in South Carolina.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2008, 02:45:58 PM »

Speaking of that show, and of rear sides [see previous posts], it has been declared over at ATC that "Sean Palmer [Prince Eric] has a particularly well-shaped butt."

So there you have it.    8)

Yes, he does have a nice butt.  And/or at least a very good costume fitter.  ;)  Alas, I didn't find the rest of his performance as "distracting".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »

Next, I watched DRAGONLANCE. As expected, the Dungeons and Dragons stuff pretty much bored me silly, and the animation was a mixture of stiff 2-D animation and some 3-D CGI dragons which were kind of impressive. Kiefer Sutherland and Lucy Lawless were the two top-billed voice stars, but Kiefer's role was definitely less important that the role played by Michael Rosenbaum who was sort of the hero/eader of the band of warriors trying to save Elves and others from the attacking dragons and the evil enchantress, her male knight, and the dragons under her command.

DR MattH - Was this a Direct-To-DVD release?  Or was it presented on one of the cable stations first?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »

I don't think I ever watched a single episode of Thirtysomething.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »

What's your operating system or browser??  I've never seen anything like that.

Windows Vista and Internet Explorer (7?).

It's m-a-g-i-c.  I download all the youtube stuff I want onto travel drives and it plays back beautifully.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2008, 03:03:43 PM »

...And I'm guessing what "happened" in South Carolina, didn't stay in South Carolina.

;D

I'm not sayin'......

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »

How about more than a single episode?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2008, 03:07:21 PM »

My moo juice stock is straining.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but I'm sure some of you saw the announcement that ABC is going to do another season of THE MOLE this summer. This was my ALL-TIME favorite reality show the first year it was on. So much did I love this show that I applied to be on its second season. (It would have filmed during my first year of retirement, so I figured I was safe applying.)

Funny thing was that one of the guys selected to be on that second season was a man only a year or two older who was a retired English teacher! It looked like they had at least two of those to pick from and chose someone the other one. Ah, well. I'll be looking forward to this contest this summer.

Oh goody! I liked THE MOLE as well...until they started doing celebrity Mole, which was no fun at all

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »

Are you a registered viewer/user of YouTube?

I am.  I see a button to upload a video into Youtube, but not one to download from Youtube.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2008, 03:15:54 PM »

Hmmmm...

I'm not sure.

Of course, I haven't added any salt.  (One of the canned stuff's additives which, by not adding yet, gives me more control over my product.)  And there's an amount of oil in the stock still, well, grease is the more apt term, which will take a while to float to the top to be removed.

I guess I should take the stock down to the basement to chill in the chill chest.

(That's a fancy, high-falutin' word for "refrigerator," if you haven't guessed.)

And, if I decide the stock isn't strong enough, I can reduce it later.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »

Of course, after all this business with the stock, I've still to decide what we'll be having for dinner!   :o

td

• td
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »

It must be part of Vista, 'cos with Firefox or IE, I'm not seeing any DOWNLOAD button!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2008, 03:19:43 PM »

Windows Vista and Internet Explorer (7?).

It's m-a-g-i-c.  I download all the youtube stuff I want onto travel drives and it plays back beautifully.

It's probably a Vista option, then.  I have Windows 2000 both at work and at home.  I don't know when I'll upgrade my home computer, but I'm sure we will never go to Vista at work...they need the security and all that, you know.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »

I didn't either.

td

• td
« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »

Another touch of FOLLIES:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXz03GLVdVg&feature=related
 . . .still no DOWNLOAD button. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2008, 03:40:19 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the Lansbury and Loudon clips.  Wow!  And to DRs td and GEORGE for the downloading instructions and links.

Haven't tried it yet....but we shall see what we shall see.

You're welcome.  However, I think TD's website/downloader http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/ is better than http://keepvid.com because it can handle many more websites than keepvid can.

;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

DR SWW - Salt will make all the difference with your stock.  Just ladle out a small bowl, sprinkle lightly with salt, stir and taste... Should make a world of difference.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »

And salt was actually the missing "note" in the batch of collards I just cooked up.  I was afraid the smoked turkey necks that I used in my base would be salty, but, apparently they weren't.  So, after a nice dash of kosher salt over the  braised greens... Yum!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up