Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PORGY AND BESS STAY HOME  (Read 27527 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:PORGY AND BESS STAY HOME
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »

Since I watched MONK last night, I had nothing on the DVR to watch while I cooked and ate lunch so I put in HELLO DOLLY and watched the first 50 minutes of it.

HELLO DOLLY is another of the titles I've been dying to watch upconverted on my sort-of new TV, but today was my first opportunity. It looked very nice, but, of course, not quite HD in dimensionality. The sound impressed me more. Maybe it's my new receiver, but the audio sounded much fuller to me watching it this time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2008, 01:28:21 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  Richard and I went to church in Cincinnati this morning.  We were joined by Rob and Mary Linda and took them out for lunch afterwards to Daybreak, one of our favorite breakfast/brunch/lunch places.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2008, 01:30:21 PM »

DR Edi - thanks for the video of your cousin's son.  His family in in Cleveland, you say?  So, when are you coming to Ohio to visit them?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2008, 01:30:24 PM »

Page Five Ron, Harry, and Hermione Dance!!!

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2008, 01:30:35 PM »

I like the songs from CARMEN JONES more than the movie; and from a sociological pt of view, CARMEN and PORGY provided jobs for a lot of people back in their day....I remember seeing LE BONHEUR in college and being shocked, shocked. I had never seen anything so racy in all my life(of course when i 1st saw the FLOWER DRUM SONG film, I felt guilty watching those racy nightclub numbers...How things have changed.

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »

Continued vibes for DR Elmore!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »

...Re:  The Birds.  We drove through Bodega Bay on our big Hwy 1/101 journey south through California last summer.  We even stopped at the little cafe (now not so little, LOL) where the "bird lady" explains everything in the movie after Tippi gets her little head whacked, and right before the gas station goes ker-boom.
Hmmm... Her little head gets whacked!  That explains the entire film!  From that point on, it's all a delusion, a fantasy!

Heck, it could be right!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »

After I finished eating, I finishing watching the reaminder of the CLEO FROM 5 to 7 featurettes. One was a film retracing Cleo's walk and ride around present day Paris during the 89 minutes of the film. They stopped to show buildings or areas that were no longer the same as in the film, and of course the film was speeded up so that it took exactly 9 minutes to take the complete round trip.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »

I like the songs from CARMEN JONES more than the movie; and from a sociological pt of view, CARMEN and PORGY provided jobs for a lot of people back in their day....I remember seeing LE BONHEUR in college and being shocked, shocked. I had never seen anything so racy in all my life(of course when i 1st saw the FLOWER DRUM SONG film, I felt guilty watching those racy nightclub numbers...How things have changed.

I'm sure at the time it first came out, it shocked many people. Today it seems so polite and so pastoral.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »

I did watch LE BONHEUR this afternoon. A quiet, sedate film that left the viewer with much to think about afterwards. The restoration of the film did get the color back (Varda says in a bonus feature that the copy she had was already faded to pink and beige), but the image is fairly soft unlike the vivid sharpness of the two previous films of hers I watched last night (both in B&W).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »

Good morning, Jose!

If you have a chance to look at the clip, I'd love to know what you think of my cousin's son's playing/singing. (Keeping in mind he was only 15 at the time...)
Is your cousin of legal age now?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2008, 01:38:52 PM »

Nice singing DR EDISAURUS.

And please send a picture of the Squirrel Lamp when it is done.  You can also make ash trays out of rabbits, if you like.

It is FUN!!!!
Not to mention what can be made from a pig's ear!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »

I began watching the large number of bonus features on the BONHEUR set. Got to see the two women both in love with the same man in present day interviews, a nice before and after piece. I still have a bunch of bonuses left to get through tonight, so I doubt I'll get to the last Varda film VAGABOND until tomorrow.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »

And since I have a few spare minutes...

DR edisaurus - You have a talented cousin!  So, is he is still 15 now?...

See!  SEE!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »

LE BONHEUR.  Is that based on that Charlton Heston chariot movie?
Yes but it runs a good hour longer.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2008, 01:52:58 PM »

We had a break and I walked down the mountain. This is what I saw (through the trees, and so not a very good shot):

Oh, look!  A feathered tea cozy!

(Just keeping in line with the rest of today's posts.   ;))

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2008, 01:58:09 PM »

DR Edi - thanks for the video of your cousin's son.  His family in in Cleveland, you say?  So, when are you coming to Ohio to visit them?

Sounds to me like she may have to go to New York or LA to visit him.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »

I should have come up last January for my aunt and uncle's 50th anniversary but it was in January during an ice storm.

Sadly, I usually only return for funerals, now that my GaGa is no longer there to visit. >:(
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2008, 01:59:27 PM »

Is your cousin of legal age now?

Well, 16. I guess that's legal somwhere...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2008, 02:00:48 PM »

We heard this interesting story on NPR this morning about My Fair Lady.

Edisaurus

« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »

I think he'll go to college in Ohio, unless he gets "discovered"...

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2008, 02:06:44 PM »

Guess I'll head down now and clean the guest bathroom. Then it's back to the den for more special features on LE BONHEUR.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2008, 02:09:42 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I went here, I went there, but first...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2008, 02:15:24 PM »

On the behalf of DR elmore:

VIBES PLEASE!!!!![/i]

I got a call around 3:45 from Larry, and, unfortunately, it appears that he has been struck with a case of the flu.  He had just come back in the apartment after moving some boxes, and... WHAM!  (I'll spare you the details that were not spared me.  ;))  So...

He's currently taking a break, and resting, and starting to recuperate.  His computer is still down at the office, so he can't post from home.  Hopefully, this bout will pass quickly, otherwise, he may have to postpone the exterminator's appointment for later in the week.  Any and all Good Vibes and Wishes would be much appreciated.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2008, 02:16:49 PM »

Oh my---poor dear Larry! I hope he will Rally!

Mega dose of vibes coming your way!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

my cousin's son (15 years old) singing and playing piano at a school talent show. He also writes piano music; he's done some great original rags in the style of Scott Joplin.

I think he's incredibly talented!

He is talented! :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »

In the meantime...

I had another wonderful time playing for Matthew Morrison this afternoon.  For someone who started off as a dancer, he really has come a long way voice-wise.  The songs seem to be sitting and fitting in his voice nicely right now, and he has a couple of weeks to let it all settle, and to play with them before South Pacific opens.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »

After Matthew's lesson, I walked down my friend's Chris' place to drop off some music, and then proceeded to walk over to Broadway since I was in the mood - and in need of some nourishment.  Well, at least a snack.  And, lo and behold, there was Silver Moon Bakery right at the corner of 140th and Broadway.  :)

I picked up two of their newest treats: a Herbed Brie (Bread) Stick, and a Chocolate Chip Espresso Roll.  The Herbed Brie Stick was very good - basically a nice piece of brie with some herbs tucked into some bread dough, then baked until the crust is golden brown, and the cheese starts to melt and get even yummier.  Sort of like a Provençal calzone/turnover.  The Chocolate Chip Espresso dough was made of a coffe-infused brioche dough with dark chocolate chunks.  Again, very yummy, and a good balance of flavors.  -And it went perfectly with my Mocha Latte I picked up from Oren's Daily Roast up the street. :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:25:22 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2008, 02:30:58 PM »

Vibage for Elmore:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]

(Of course, Vibage for Elmore could be the title of my next violin concerto!)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:31:20 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2008, 02:34:11 PM »

AOL ranks the WORLD'S FRIENDLIEST COUNTRIES

•   Number 1 -- Ireland

From what Craig has said I expected to see Greece on the list.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up