Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THOSE DARN LAKERS  (Read 32965 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THOSE DARN LAKERS
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2008, 02:19:48 PM »

TOD:  I used to enjoy watching pro football.  That was when each televised game ran 2- to 2 1/2 hours.  Now that they run to 3 1/2 hours, I cannot maintain interest.   There are far too many teams now.  I used to watch three games on Sunday afternoon/evening and enjoy them all.  During the course of those games, I'd see scores and highlights of ALL the other games.  Now, I find pro football a bore. It's like watching golf.  WHY WOULD ANYONE WATCH GOLF?  I get the "playing golf" gambit...but I'd rather "watch" grass grow.

I used to love to listen to baseball while driving around and lounging by a pool or doing anything outdoors.  I could even get into watching a night game.  Too many teams now and too little interest in how they do.

The only basketball I've ever enjoyed was NCAA...and then only during the tournament.  Professional basketball's allure totally eludes me.  I don't get it, I cannot rationalize it, and yet it exists.  Go know.

In college, I enjoyed playing soccer and running.  Swimming and I had a flirtation in a life saving class I took.

I've always enjoyed watching Olympic sports, both summer and winter, but I confess I can see too much track and field and way too much skiing...especially the newer competitions.  I loves me my figure skating, though.  And I love to watch all the Olympic swimming/diving events.

In the Navy, I played intramural sports...football and tennis...and volleyball.  Loved it all...for the fun of it more than for any dogged competitiveness like some I encountered.   I loved beating a few people for whom the game TRULY mattered.  And I loved losing to those same people and letting them know that I didn't care whether I lost or not.  They could not fathom it.

In general, if sports keeps folks off the streets and out of trouble, I'm all for them.

But please....if anyone ever sees me wearing expensive name-brand bicycling togs, with all the protective gear and, especially, the specialized shoes, and walking my bicycle down a sidewalk as though I were about to engage the Italian biking team in competition, I invite you to shoot me on the spot.  I'd consider it a mercy killing.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2008, 02:20:30 PM »

Gawrsh!

[size=8]PAGE 8[/size]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

Well, I think the lasagna is warm enough...and it it's not, then at least I'm not the only one bringing any.  Probably close to 40 people will be there, so there will be a LOT of food. :D

Until later!

The lasagna turned out fine and was fully heated through.  Otherwise, there was a lot of food.  And I think that there was more than 50 people there!  A good time was had by all. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »

I'm listening to this Rogier van Otterloo collection (I cannot stop listening) - the second CD is just arrangements and orchestrations he's done for others, not his original music.  Right now, I'm listening to a cover version of Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again, Naturally - in DUTCH.  They call the song 1948 for reasons I know not.

MBarnum

« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

TOD:

I forgot to add bowling...I love to play, and don't mind watching...when I was a kid I loved to watch it on TV.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #215 on: April 24, 2008, 02:33:43 PM »

Welcome eight GUESTS - did any of you get your Evening Primrose CDs?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #216 on: April 24, 2008, 02:40:05 PM »

This was posted to the website of the local newspaper, The Olympian.  It was written by Kirk Ericson (and I have no idea who he is):

Long Live the Library.

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #217 on: April 24, 2008, 02:42:02 PM »

Uh....I got mine.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #218 on: April 24, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »

Ron P  - I don't get the joke, but that still made me smile.  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:36 PM »

For anyone who follows such things, my Telecharge access has been restored.

Had to apologize, huh?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: April 24, 2008, 02:52:48 PM »

I had no idea there was another Ray Courts show this weekend - it seems like only yesterday I was there doing it.  I obviously can't go on Saturday, but I can go tomorrow, although the day has turned busy for me.  Have to do an errand in the morning, and then have an appointment with Teddy at noon.  As soon as that's done, I'll mosey on over there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: April 24, 2008, 02:53:43 PM »

So, has anyone who's received their CD actually listened to it?  I'm very pleased with the reaction to the sound, for all the reasons I posted about the other day.

Ben

« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »

Uh....I got mine.

But you're not a guest, you're a registered user who posts early and often  :D

Ben

« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »

I thought I would be able to listen at work but it was far too busy and crazy for me to listen. I will tomorrow.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »

Is MBarnum in L.A. department:  I received an eBay message from someone inquiring about that Bollywood movie, Saawariya.  They asked if I had the movie physically in hand and would I end the auction and overnight it to them in Los Angeles.  I could name my price.

I think I won't be responding.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

FJL

« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »

Larry - Apologize about what?

My educated guess is that someone looked at the ATC thread, looked at my file, and said here's a guy who's spent thousands of dollars on our product this year alone; why would we possibly make him wait three days to get his access restored?  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »

DR Nursie, what's $980 in the scheme of the cosmos? :D

;D

Jane

« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »

But please....if anyone ever sees me wearing expensive name-brand bicycling togs, with all the protective gear and, especially, the specialized shoes, and walking my bicycle down a sidewalk as though I were about to engage the Italian biking team in competition, I invite you to shoot me on the spot.  I'd consider it a mercy killing.

ROTFLOL!  
What shall we do if we see you running down the street in the similarly styled jogging clothes?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »

Just stopped in quickly to say goodbye for the moment. I'm heading down now to pick back up with my evening viewing.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »

TOD:

I forgot to add bowling...I love to play, and don't mind watching...when I was a kid I loved to watch it on TV.

Forgot about that, I also did both.  We recently watched an interesting show on professional bowling today.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2008, 03:28:45 PM »

Ours arrived, btw, just moments before I wrote the previous post.

Thank-you, BK!

And I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that the publisher is still locked into the dark ages of hand addressing!

der Brucer

I might note that hand addressing can slow postal delivery times - the postal office usually wants the full nine digit zip code and if their optical scan equipment can not read the handwritten street address, they must either hand enter it, or deal with only the simple 5 digit code - both of which can add to delays. To expedite postal deliver, those of us who deal with lots of mailings have software that prints out 9-digit zip bar codes on all our address labels.
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »

TV Reminders:

And SCIFI is having a Charles Pogue marathon - 6 full hous in a row (Hercules plus Dragonheart). Our dear Pogue would be delighted to know that the AOL Movie link does not give him any writting credits for tha latter!

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »

The Pony Express has still not reached the Badlands of Washington State (formerly the Oregon Territory).  No Primrose for me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »

I was just reminiscing about my year in Kindergarten.  We had "nap time" every day, and the person who was the best-behaved [I guess the quietest/stillest] got to be the "Wakeup Fairy."

I wonder if that has had any lasting impact?    ;)

You have to ask - check your wardrobe!

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: April 24, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »

DR MBarnum, I found a photo of Brian Kelly for you! Don't qvell too much.

I have to go down to the Village I forgot that a friend is having a CD release party.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: April 24, 2008, 03:43:52 PM »

And, yes! The Fat Conductor of Limited Talent and Limitless Ego is a fraud!

How could I forget the Limitless Ego?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:44:27 PM by elmore3003 »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #236 on: April 24, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »

Hopefully, mine will arrive tomorrow.

Don't worry Larry, you'll get yours :D

der Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #237 on: April 24, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »

I'm not a big sports fan, but sports have changed my life.

Well, the gay softball leagues sure did.

Not euphimismally, either.

My first lover joined a gay softball team, back in the day, and they needed a scorekeeper.  I got drafted.  He only lasted one year with the team.  I bounced from one team to another in the Los Angeles league for four years.

Sat out for a couple of seasons, after getting bashed.

Got involved again when I ran into one of the guys from that first team who needed a scorekeeper for a team he was running in Long Beach.

A couple of years later, switching teams, I ended up at Mike's Corral and met der Brucer.

Forced der B to tag along for four more years.

And finally got burnt out and dropped it.  I haven't been able to stomach watching a game since.

Der B replaced the softball with something more like hardball - he got us involved with Log Cabin.

He's now using everything he learned from me on scorekeeping and recordkeeping, in order to help his daughter work up some statistics spreadsheets for the grandlads' little league teams.

What goes around, comes around, and sometimes bites you where you'd rather it didn't.

All the same, if it weren't for the softball, I probably wouldn't have connected with der B.  And we've been together twenty-two years now, sometime this month (exact date misplaced).

That first lover of mine has a lot to answer for.   ::)

I would say so!  Has derBrucer considered suing him?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #238 on: April 24, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »

WHY WOULD ANYONE WATCH GOLF?

It's very restful and a good background for doing crossword puzzles.

der Brucer

Cillaliz

« Reply #239 on: April 24, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »

Good evening all. I like Basketball, how about that.

I like football sometimes. I'm not into pro sports really except the world series.  I have been known to watch golf, I don't know why.  I used to be on a bowling league and even have a first place bowling trophy as well as a most improved patch. My bowling bowl is a lucious shade of purple.

I like to play volleyball.  Not sure what else.  Sometimes baseball is fun...love to watch skating and all the Olympics sports.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up