Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HORRID SANDWICH  (Read 23871 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:THE HORRID SANDWICH
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2004, 12:56:58 PM »

Surprisingly, after 9/11 happened, I not only wanted to come to New York...I felt that I NEEDED to come to New York. I don't know why...

Ironic, isn't it?  It was the exact same event that convinced me to leave NYC after living there all my life.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2004, 01:02:32 PM »

Well, I've already mentioned how much I love and admire ASSASSINS, but the first time I saw it staged with "Something Just Broke," I was in tears. That song tore me up, maybe because I was around during that period in history and understood what I felt then and what I feel now about it, but for whatever the reason, I think it was a terrific addition to the score of the show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2004, 01:05:17 PM »

Gidget, yes!  That is the ginchiest news of the day.  I am THERE, baby.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2004, 01:06:29 PM »

Wicked ­ Nominees Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth will perform the show’s act-one finale, “Defying Gravity”

I had a feeling they would do "Defying Gravity" but I thought they'd also combine it with "Popular".  Chenowith has little to do in "DG".
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2004, 01:07:21 PM »

I was mugged shortly after I moved from New York to Toronto the Good. I wasn't hurt, but the mugger got my wallet.

A few years ago I was walking from my doctor's office to the subway. A woman in her nightgown came flying out of her house. In broken English she shouted hysterically that her daughter was gone. From what I understood, the little girl had disappeared from the backyard while the mother had gone inside for a moment. I saw no sign of the child along the street. The mother called the police as I checked the back. Happily, everything turned out well. The child had been in the house all along.

When I told the story to my friend Laura, she said, "What a chutzpah that woman had."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 01:09:56 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2004, 01:10:50 PM »

On a more pleasant note, Columbia Tri-Star is realeasing a DVD set GIDGET: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION on DVD August 30.

GIDGET, GIDGET GOES HAWAIIAN, and GIDGET GOES TO ROME.

I saw the announcement of the set's title but didn't investigate. Now, I'm disappointed that the Sally Field sitcom GIDGET isn't part of the package.  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: May 26, 2004, 01:13:48 PM »

DR Elmore, you're welcome about the DVD site information. I've gotten many a disc from them, and often even though they're called used, they are actually overbuys cut from inventory from places like Target and are still in the shrink wrap - esentially brand new items.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2004, 01:26:21 PM »

Oh my....

Princess Diana - I was directing a production of MY FAIR LADY and I had gotten home late.  I turned on the television and there was a crawler on the network about the crash, so I turned on CNN and watched the drama unfold.  As soon as I saw the car, I knew there was no hope.   Sad sad sad.  She made the most of her few years, made some good choices, and some bad choices, but I do think she changed the British monarchy for the better.

JFK Jr - when I got up one morning they were searching the waters and the news just got worse.  Another young life sadly lost.

9/11 - I had gotten to work and there was a report that a plane had crashed into the WTC and yes I thought some small commuter plane had misjudged his position or altitude.  Then more reports came in.  And then as people began to come into the office, we heard....the second plane crash...and a third on the ground in Pennsylvania.  We turned on a television - and it was one thing to hear the reports and quite another to see the destruction.  I had a brush up rehearsal that night for a production of THE ODD COUPLE (I was playing Felix) and I almost didn't go, but I did.  And we did our second weekend to smaller audiences, but those that came said thank you...it is the first time I have smile in a few days.  But it was very surreal to be doing Neil Simon's play set in NYC that particular weekend.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2004, 01:27:58 PM »

No PANNI it is not a scarf!  Gidget!  I love them all, but especially IN ROME and GOES HAWAIIAN!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2004, 01:29:24 PM »

Gidget, yes!  That is the ginchiest news of the day.  I am THERE, baby.

Well, Dear Friend, I'm much more excited about the john Huston MOULIN ROUGE release.  I've always loved the "Big Song," but when I finally saw the film, the song was in a different form with a different lyric!  I love both versions but find it peculiar.  The version in the film is probably closer in form to a popular chanson of the 1890s than the popular song version that became the hit of 1954(?).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2004, 01:31:13 PM »

Well, Dear Friend, I'm much more excited about the john Huston MOULIN ROUGE release.  I've always loved the "Big Song," but when I finally saw the film, the song was in a different form with a different lyric!  I love both versions but find it peculiar.  The version in the film is probably closer in form to a popular chanson of the 1890s than the popular song version that became the hit of 1954(?).

I'm starting to sound like Gertrude Stein!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2004, 01:43:44 PM »

I'm starting to sound like Gertrude Stein!

Actually, elmore, I think Gertrude had a hat like that, too.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2004, 01:45:52 PM »

Actually, elmore, I think Gertrude had a hat like that, too.

Yes, but she was much more butch!

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2004, 01:46:23 PM »

I am looking forward to seeing GIDGET GOES TO ROME...I think that is the one that has Noreen Corcoran from BACHELOR FATHER in it isn't it? I guess I should have checked IMDB before posting, huh! Well, anyway I love Noreen and one of these days I am going to interview that girl!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2004, 01:50:47 PM »

I wonder if they will move all the effects equipment from the Gershwin to Radio City Music Hall for "Defying Gravity", do the song without the effects or pre-tape it at the Gershwin.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jason

« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2004, 01:55:53 PM »

They moved the flying equipment to the Ed Sullivan Theatre when they did the number on their David Letterman spot, so I'm pretty positive it will appear at the Tonys. What I'm wondering is if they'll schedule their performance first so Idina will have time to take her makeup off before her category near the end of the show...

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2004, 02:01:35 PM »

They moved the flying equipment to the Ed Sullivan Theatre when they did the number on their David Letterman spot, so I'm pretty positive it will appear at the Tonys. What I'm wondering is if they'll schedule their performance first so Idina will have time to take her makeup off before her category near the end of the show...

And then, again, maybe they'll show her green face backstage!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2004, 02:18:48 PM »

Some very interesting posts today regarding moments in history from a personal perspective.  I am still looking forward to reading Tomovoz's recollections regarding the parting of the Red Sea.
“One thing’s universal,

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2004, 02:19:44 PM »

Today's posts are kind of a downer.

I am no stranger to horrid sandwiches. Those frozen egg salad monstrosities, complete with egg shells, from the school cafeteria stand out in my mind.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: May 26, 2004, 02:25:02 PM »

I love the Song from MOULIN ROUGE as well....and if I am not mistaken, Miss Zsa Zsa Gabor at one time had her basement recreation room decorated to match the bistro in the movie so she could make her entrance as she does en le cinema!

Of course, she would have to play the record since she didn't sing the song herself....

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2004, 02:26:41 PM »

I am one psyched guy right now. Just found out ASSASSINS was extended to August 1, so I immediately got on-line and ordered tickets.

So, my show line-up for July is:

Thursday night - WICKED
Friday night - THE BOY FROM OZ
Saturday matinee - AVENUE Q
Saturday night - ASSASSINS

;D   ;D   ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2004, 02:29:20 PM »

I had a feeling they would do "Defying Gravity" but I thought they'd also combine it with "Popular".  Chenowith has little to do in "DG".

Maybe that's an indicator of how things might turn out. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »

In most TV performances of "Defying Gravity," when Chenoweth appeared with Menzel, they started with "I Hope You're Happy" which segued into "Defying Gravity."  Menzel had quite a bit more singing.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2004, 02:34:49 PM »

I am going crazy these days wanting to munch on food.  Does anybody have any ideas for low carb/ or healthy snacks that I can munch on?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2004, 02:42:09 PM »

Good Early Evening!

As for 9/11 - It was a Tuesday morning.  I just got up "early" for no particular reason and started watching the Today show.  -I had just gotten in the night before from a theatre convention, so I had planned to sleep in, but...  As soon as they went back to show the footage of the first plane...  I wasn't able to reach my parents in DC... However, I did get in touch with each of my brothers, and my aunt - who told me my father and mother were OK...  Most of all, I remember Steve being able to calm me down, and taking my mind off the gravity of the whole situation for a little bit - he got me away from the TV.

Princess Diana - I was working in Indiana... A lot of sadness among the cast and crew for a couple of days.

And on a brighter note...

I got my hairs cut - not too bad - but I think I've found a few "stragglers", which I'll take care of with my handy-dandy pair of scissors.  And I also bought some wonderful pastries from a new French-Vietnamese bakery.  YUM!!!

And now, it's off to the show!...

Laters...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 02:44:34 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2004, 02:44:06 PM »

Hmm...being a youngin, I too was born long after Kennedy was assasinated. But my dad tells me that he got home from school, walked into the den, and my grandma was sitting on the floor in front of the television crying. He hadn't ever seen his mother cry before.

Diana: She was killed on my birthday, and I was having a sleepover with a bunch of friends. The Spice Girls were singing on SNL that night, so we were playing "Big Girls" and staying up to watch it. As they were being announced, the news anchor came on with the news. It was a sad birthday.

9/11: During school, people were being checked out by their parents all day long, until during my lunch block, there were eights people at my table that usually held 30. They wouldn't tell us what happened, but I remember walking by the main office and seeing the office ladies crowded around a TV crying, and I just walked in and sat down. They didn't stop me, and I saw the footage of the planes hitting the WTC. I wasn't completely familiar with what the buildings WERE, but it didn't mean the sigh of the people running and dying hurt any less. I was told not to make a scene about it, andn they made an announcement at the end of the school day.

Crime #1: I've seen people exchange drugs for money around midnight at a local gas station. We kept our mouths shut and left.

Crime #2: I took a pin from the shop at the Smithsonian once...I think I was 8, and my mom wouldn't buy it for me. I don't even know where it is.

Crime #3: I'd never ever pay for gas. That's a lot of money saved.

American Idol: I don't LIKE Fantasia, but out of the two, she's the better performer. Her last song was great last night. But ever since LaToya was kicked off, I've stopped caring who won. Fantasia will win, though. Even if she doesn't...oook at Clay Aiken. You see him everywhere...and what has Ruben been doing? Oh that's right...nothing!

Sick day today...I hate being dizzy.

I'm excited for the Tonys!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Danise

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2004, 02:49:56 PM »

Hi all!  I'm inbetween shows.  Just saw Aida (which made me cry) and am about to go get ready for Wicked.  

Something happened, about 15 cop cars went past me while I walking back to hotel.  I watched the first part of the news but I didn't see what it was.

It's turned a little cold (for me)  65.  Burrr.  I could kick myself for not bringing my coat.  Now I could have used it but the first few days were wonderful, weather wise.

Elmore called me again.  Thank you.  I still say it is nice beyond words to have such kindness from someone who only knew me from a board.

Jane, you too, you are a treasure.  :-)

Gotta run and go get ready for the show.

One full day left in NYC then it's home for me.  I am tired and ready to go home.  I don't think that has anything to do with what happened before, it's just been a long week of ups and downs and I'm plain tired for my own room/bed.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #117 on: May 26, 2004, 02:50:58 PM »

KRUL is lurk spelled backwards.  I make no apologies.  It takes all the reading you can do at this here site just to stay in the same place.  Oh, a Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There reference.

JFK Sr.  I was a sophomore at Caltech, and those in our student house had decided that there should be a reason for a party every day.  On the door of Stu and John's room was a big LET'S PARTY sign, and the reason was changed every day.

John had bought a bottle of Black & White, so when I left for Chem that morning it said, "It's Black & White Day!  LET'S PARTY!!"  I was tired that morning (maybe from the previous party), and so I decided to cut the math lecture and come back to my room to nap.  As I passed Stu and John's room I noticed the sign was missing.  I went in and asked, "Where's the holiday sign."

"It's not a holiday today," said John.  He and Stu were listening to the radio.  Kennedy had been shot, but no one knew yet if he was alive or dead.  Soon, other sophomores started drifting in from the math lecture which had been canceled.

I took it upon myself later in the day to contact the math professor and make sure everyone who lived on campus knew that that weekend's take-home exam had been canceled.

For the next few days the TV lounge was packed, but I wasn't too interested in watching all the details, until a huge "Whooop!!" arose from everyone in the lounge so loud it echoed through the building--Ruby had shot Oswald.

Hey, I was a Republican.  I didn't think I liked Kennedy.  But... this had never happened.  This was... See, that's what it was, an ellipsis.  Something just... broke.  And I can't think of a better way to express the feeling.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2004, 02:51:49 PM »

As for 9/11 - It was a Tuesday morning.  I just got up "early" for no particular reason and started watching the Today show.  -I had just gotten in the night before from a theatre convention, so I had planned to sleep in, but...  As soon as they went back to show the footage of the first plane...  I wasn't able to reach my parents in DC... However, I did get in touch with each of my brothers, and my aunt - who told me my father and mother were OK...  Most of all, I remember Steve being able to calm me down, and taking my mind off the gravity of the whole situation for a little bit - he got me away from the TV.

Laters...

Personally, Jose, I think I would like to hear a few more details on how Steve took your mind off of the situation.
“One thing’s universal,

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2004, 02:59:54 PM »

Some very interesting posts today regarding moments in history from a personal perspective.  I am still looking forward to reading Tomovoz's recollections regarding the parting of the Red Sea.

Oh yes, and my niece keeps asking if I remember when the asteroid killed the dinosaurs.   :-X
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up