Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA  (Read 19151 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2004, 03:03:10 PM »

Jed - LOL!!!!!!

Jed

« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2004, 03:03:25 PM »

Thanks, George!  I was just attempting to do that, but not having much luck! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2004, 03:03:35 PM »

Good Afternoon!

DR Jed - Your COE pic is not showing up on my computer... :(  I wonder if the site's cache is full again?..., Or maybe I just need to refresh the page.

DR Jason - Glad to hear that you fixed your font woes.  AOL does have a font setting too, and it can very easy to adjust the font size without knowing that you've done it.

-I wish I could join you guys in NYC tomorrow.  I need a New York City fix!!!

DR SWW - I'm so sorry to hear about your food-relative woes.  If they know how they HAVE to have their food prepared, why bother asking anyone to bring anything?!?!?!?

As for me... I finally got to bed around 5:30-6:00AM - I think... I got up around 8:00... Then around 9:00 when there were two BIG rolls of thunder.  So big that they shook the house - and the power blipped for a few seconds.  Apparently, they also set off car alarms in the neighborhood too.  Eventually, I got out of bed around 1:00... -Unfortunately, I think my roommate got a very late start this morning - he had to work this morning - since the brief power blip most likely reset his clock radio.

I spent about an hour over at Steve's apartment getting a CD done - just laying two accompaniment tracks for one of the guys in the show.  Easy-peasy.  Then I came back here and finally got my keyboard - and it's very heavy(!!) case - into the apartment.  As a reward, I walked down to Carytown, and picked up a large waffle cone of ice cream from Bev's - 1/2 Cinna-Bean (Cinnamon ice cream with chocolate-covered espresso beans), and 1/2 "Galaxy" (chocolate and vanilla ice creams with chocolate chips and a caramel swirl).  YUMMY!!!

I then made my "traditional" Monday walk - I guess it could be considered a "constitutional" - down and up Carytown.  Got some banking done via the ATM, and did some window shopping.  It wasn't until I was walking back to my apartment that I realized just how hot it was/is today.  It's not too hot, but since I was wearing jeans and dary gray shirt... and the sun was on my back...  It' very nice sitting in my cool apartment right now.

-And I'm watching the "What Not To Wear" marathon on TLC.  Fun!

OK - I sense a nap coming on...

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2004, 03:09:52 PM »

Thanks, George!  I was just attempting to do that, but not having much luck! :D

No problem.  As soon as I did it I thought, what if Jed really wanted to do it himself?  What if he'll be mad at me for stealing his thunder??  But, if you're cool with it, I'm happy to oblige! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2004, 03:25:12 PM »

Jed, you could always downloaded it to your hard drive and upload it into HHW like this:

And Betty and Bam-Bam are played by whom?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jason

« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2004, 03:48:43 PM »

Watching THE TOWERING INFERNO... So dramatic...

Jason

« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2004, 04:00:51 PM »

It just occurred to me...if Mike Brady had been the architect of the Glass Tower, this never would have been a problem.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2004, 04:03:38 PM »

I never watched horror movies. They were too frightening. This was frightening enough:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2004, 04:07:45 PM »

Jed - You have your mother's eyes.

Panni

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2004, 04:19:14 PM »

SWW - I remember going with my mother, a superb cook, to visit my then in-laws for the first time. My mother-in-law had gone through a great deal of trouble to prepare a meal for the occasion. Her cooking was what my mother used to call "Canadian"... meaning bland beyond belief. (Sorry to the Canadian HHW-ers - but I say this lovingly, proudly waving my Canadian citizenship.)  I remember vividly that my mother ate this incredibly boring meal - commenting on how utterly delicious each item was - even asking for seconds and saying, "Ruby, you must give me the recipe for this marvelous vanilla pudding."
My mother was a person with class.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 04:20:52 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »

Jed you are so sweet.  I showed Keith the photo so he could have a good laugh with me. ;D

Panni, thanks and that was a wonderful story about your mother.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2004, 04:36:35 PM »

Jed - You have your mother's eyes.

On the little monitor speaker next to our conductor, there is a pile of eyes - sticky eyes, a set of "bloody, just torn out of your head eyes, "alien" eyes, etc...  We also have a few sets of those coke-bottle glasses, and a set of those "slinky-surprise eyes".  So, everytime that line comes up... "You have your mother's eyes...."  We gesture to the pile...

-Things you do during an 12-week run...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2004, 04:58:54 PM »

Chat in a mere sixty minutes.

Danise

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2004, 05:00:29 PM »

Just had a major scare.  I was eating my steak and tried to swallow but it caught in my throat.  My dear deaf Mother sitting next to me had no idea I was choking to death.  I managed to get up, get outside and get myself over a deck chair.  What happened next wasn’t pretty but I got the steak up.  I’ve been shaking ever since.  Whew.  Close one.  

To continue my NYC tale.  Wonderful Town proved to be a cute play but here is one of those times when I can either lie or tell the truth and shame the devil.  I enjoyed it but it wasn’t anything that struck a cord.  

It was like watching an old movie.  Enjoyable at the moment but forgotten when it was over.

Wednesday was a double feature day for me.  I saw Aida in the afternoon and Wicked that night.

I knew I would like Aida before I went to see it because it had to do with Egypt and I love anything from that time period.  I was in the mezzanine, seat AA 8, so I brought my new binoculars and was very glad I did.  

I could see everything.  The male lead, Will Chase, had such beautiful blue eyes. Ahhh, of course I was in love with him the whole show.  The female lead was played by an understudy, Saycon Sengbloh, who did a wonderful job.  My kudos to the entire cast.  They all did a wonderful job.

I also had the unexpected treat of seeing Micky Dolenz.  Oh the memories just seeing him brought back.  My dad and a friend of his teasing me about liking Micky over any of the other Monkees.  I can still see myself (I think I was 8-10?) clutching the new “Monkees Headquarters” album in my arms as the friends said, “Why do you like Micky? You should like Davy, he’s more your height!”  Of course, the more he teased, the madder I got, which tickled him and the more I was teased.  I remember I was quite put out.

Back to Micky, it was just nice to see/hear him.  He looked in good health and had a very strong voice.    The lady I was sitting next to and I had a nice conversation about him and the Monkees during intermission.

I’ve still got “A Step To Far” stuck in my head.  I had to buy to the CD.

I don’t want to give anything away but it is a GREAT show and I highly recommend it.  I think it was easily my favorite of the ones I saw while there.

It was a good day to go in the theaters.  It rained and (for me) had turned cold.  I was kicking myself that I hadn’t brought my coat but after being saddled with it on the trip to Utah and never wearing it, I had left it home.  I really could have used it that day.

I went and grabbed some dinner between shows at McD’s.  I really wasn’t in the mood for a sit down dinner.  Then I went back to the hotel, redressed and went to see Wicked.

Another very enjoyable story.  Not sure it was worth the $160.00 I shelled out for the ticket but it did teach me something.  I’ve said this before and I know now that it is true.  Unless you really are going to see a certain person, the plays we get on the tours here in Tampa are just as good.  

I didn’t know anyone in Wicked so I don’t think it would have mattered if it was an understudy or the lead. I would have liked it just as well.  This is one of the reasons I don’t think I will long for NYC.  Unless someone I like, (Mr. Ball, Mr. Crawford to name two) is there to see I’ll be just as happy with the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center.

I have to also mention the smell.  Again, I am sorry but that is something I will never forget about NYC.  As Bruce would put it, “It made me want to vomit on the ground”.  At times it was just that bad.  I’d be walking and catch the smell of something just horrible.  I don’t know what it was and to be honest, I don’t WANT to know.

I guess this is also the time to mention the water.  I had been warned not to drink it but I did use it to brush my teeth so I did get to taste it.  It really wasn’t bad.  I’ll confess it was better than the water in Tampa!  You can smell the water at our water fountains from at least 5 yards away.  Ugh.  

I also must say I loved the way it made my hair feel and look when I washed it.  It never has behaved better or looked better.  I don’t know what was in it but it kept all the fly a ways down and it curled with just my fingers.  

If there was a difference in the pizza dough, however, I didn’t notice it.  I was also told I had to have a slice of pizza because it was so much better in NYC but to be honest, I couldn’t taste a difference.  Pizza isn’t exactly my favorite food so that may have had something to do with it.

I wish I had taken to binoculars with me to Wicked.  It was an Orchestra seat but pretty far back.  I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had remembered to take them.  I had to buy the CD for that show as well.

It was foggy that night.  I couldn’t see the tops of the buildings on my walk back to the hotel.

Thursday was my last full day in NYC.  I decided to take one last long walk ro Central Park.  I knew where it was from the tour.  I do have a fairly good sense of direction and rarely get lost.

It was a VERY long walk to get there but I have to say it was a highlight of the trip.  It was the first quiet place I found.  I could have stayed there forever.  I loved the paths and the park benches and the dogs and the horses (who I felt very sorry for).  Some of them looked like they were never fed.  I could easily pick out the ribs on many of them.  I was going to hire one but seeing that, I changed my mind.

If I lived in NYC it would have to be someplace close to Central Park.  I would have to have that escape or I would never last for very long.  The city would drive me mad.

I found my rock while on my walk though Central Park.  I had thought I wouldn’t be able to have that kind of memory of the city.  There certainly were no rocks anywhere to be found on the city streets.

I must have started looking like I knew what I was doing because 2 ladies came up to me to ask directions.  That had happened the day before as well.  I know I had started to cross the street just like everyone else did when the light was red.  The first day I had stood on the curb until I saw the light change to green.

I’m getting long so I’ll stop here and leave the last for another time..
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2004, 05:14:53 PM »

Had a lovely quick bite at 5 with Elmore, before scurrying off to the TKTS booth to get a seat for Phantom. It didn't play yesterday, so i got  a ticket to Assassins. Yowza! Loved it! I think it is a great work of art, and the performances were uniformly excellent, great voices, great characterizations. Audience went berserk.

But I digress... so anyway, I'm down there at TKTS, and didn't see Phantom on the board. Went up to the window and said, "No Phantom?" Guy behind the counter says, "nope." I said, "but they didn't play yesterday... " Guy smirks and says, "Some kind of a holiday or something today." Ah. I get it.

So I walked around the Times Square area for an hour, soaking it all in (light rain falling, in Seattle we call this sort of weather "Partly Cloudy"). Now I'm back at my room at 73rd and Broadway, and I'll turn in early and be so nice and rested for my Screamatura audition tomorrow. First audition in such a long time that I'm looking forward to so eagerly.

And then i'll have fun, laughs, good times with my fellow HHW denizens at Joe Allen's. Oh, Happy Day! Jeez, I love New York. It always feels so Home.

Thanks, Elmore, for such a nice visit.

Hey, Happy 35th to jane and Keith. Yipes - 35??? Sheesh, I was a bridesmaid at that wedding!!! When did we get so old!??!?!?!?!?!

Nitey nite, friends.
PennyO

Michael

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2004, 05:15:43 PM »

I was thinking the same thing!!! ;D
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2004, 05:19:16 PM »

Watching THE TOWERING INFERNO... So dramatic...

The one sequence I hated in the film and so glad it was cut for the tv version was watching Susan Flannery gasping for breath and fire gets closer to her. I always thought it was a bit sadistic on the part of the directors John Guillerman and Irwin Allen. The TV version just has her scream. The flames get closer and that was it. You knew she had it and did not have to watch her suffer for the next five minutes.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2004, 05:29:20 PM »

Once again a big thank you to Danise for sharing her story (not necessarily the steak!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2004, 05:46:51 PM »

Danise: You'll be happy to know that the tap water in New York City is actually some of the cleanest and best-tasting in the United States. I can understand people being sceptical of drinking it, but we're not Mexico City for goodness' sake!

As far as the smell goes: You just learn not to question it. Don't question the smell and don't step in any sort of liquid on the ground. Stick to those two rules and you'll be fine in the Big Apple. Oh, and don't look anyone in the eye when you're walking down the sidewalk or taking the train. And never apologize for ramming into people wherever you may be. And ALWAYS ram into people. There are so many other things to know about NYC--I wish I'd known this was going to be your first trip--I would have warned you in advance.

Seriously, though, New York's not so bad once you get used to it. I had never set foot in the City until the day I moved here. Imagine the culture shock that followed--boy from Kentucky packs up and moves to New York with no idea what to expect! And I moved here in the dead of winter! I wouldn't change a thing, though. Well, maybe I'd have changed the amount of money I moved here with, but that'd be about it.

How did you end up paying $160.00 for WICKED? I think top price is $102.50...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 05:49:38 PM by Jason »

Jed

« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2004, 05:56:42 PM »

And, no, I was playing Abel, not Barney Rubble. :D
I was thinking the same thing!!! ;D

Yup yup, Barney Rubble was the first comment made by just about everybody around when I first put on the costume (which was about 5 minutes before curtain, due to the last minute nature of the whole thing).  The best part of being done with that show was being able to grow my facial hair back! :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

Chat is open!  Come on in!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2004, 06:46:43 PM »

Great chat going on with a roomful of lovely denizens.  Be there or be round.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2004, 07:20:03 PM »

I just left Jed, Laura II and Gumpy Sarah in the Chat Room where I visited for half an hour.  No one else was there, all having deserted within minutes of my arrival.

They're still at it, if anyone is interested in partying!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jed

« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2004, 08:18:19 PM »

'Twas lively and sparkling, indeed.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2004, 08:29:44 PM »

I couldn't go to chat because I was cleaning my room. It's messier now than it was before. How does that work?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2004, 08:34:37 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm sorry I made yet another brief appearance in chat... But since Monday is my only full day off (well, today is my last Monday - after Friday, I'll just be plain off all the time)*...  And since I slept in really late today... And since I wanted to try to get some stuff rearranged in the kitchen... And... And...

-You get the picture.
*Of course, some people would say I already am off all the time.

In any case, as you may have guessed by now, I did not get anything accomplished in the kitchen.  However, I do have it all planned out mentally, and I may tackle the project before heading to bed.  But since I have to be up early tomorrow - and I mean HAVE to be up EARLY... And since I will most likely find myself wired if I end up staying up past 1:00am... And... And...

DR Danise - As DR Jason stated, New York City tap water is actually quite good.  -It's the pipes in some of the older buildings that can make it taste off.  However, it does contribute to your recommended daily allowance of 12 vitamins and minerals! ;)  There have even been taste tests, and New York Tap water has "won" a bunch of them.  *The same thing applies in New Orleans - I've had more than a few meals there where the waiter/waitress has "advised" me to save my money and get good ole New Orleans Tap rather than some marked-up bottled stuff.

As for the smell... All cities have their smells - especially in the summer... Heck, even DC has quite an odor at times... And there's that stretch of 95 just south of Richmond right by the water treatment plant...  So... If it smells, just hold your nose and/or your breath as long as you can.

And, yes, Central Park is indeed a marvel.  And it's soooo big.  Did you make it up and over to the area by the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the East Side?  I love that area - especially the "pond" where a lot of people sail their toy boats.  Oh, and the Boat House too.

Hmmm.. So, if I rearrange the kitchen, and I'm wide awake afterwards... I could just go ahead and head back up to DC under the cool cover of night... Hmm...  -And since I'm normally up until at least 3:00am anyway... And... And...

And if you think "A Step Too Far" has been running a through your head...  I remember after my second week of playing the show, that I soon adapted the alternate title that some of the guys in the pit had come up with: "A Verse Too Long".

"Whoa-oo-oo-ooo.... Whoa-oo-oo-oo-ooo...."
Isn't that a great lyric? ;)

But it is a catchy tune, and it was fun to play.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2004, 08:38:10 PM »

OK... I just got reminded that it is indeed Monday night and not Sunday night...

"Hmm.. Why is Letterman coming on right now??"

DUH!

:-[
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2004, 08:41:22 PM »

...And when I first saw the title of today's column, I thought today's topic would have been, "What are your favorite (Richard) Strauss tone poems?"

I guess for myself, "Til Eulenspiegel einmal anders" (Til Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks), and "Don Quixote".  -Although the wind machine in "The Alpine Symphony" is quite an affect.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2004, 09:00:29 PM »

I just peeked at my classic movie poster calendar...The poster for June is FORBIDDEN PLANET - so much more interesting than May, which was GIGI. How many times can you look up from your desk and have Leslie Caron winking at you before it gets OLD?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2004, 09:04:45 PM »

Missed the chat.  8-(

Great picture DR JED.  It bespeaks theatuh.  DRLAURA I have been on a plane like that as well.  The flight attendant, loaded the luggage, and sat in the co-pilot seat as well.  It was an interesting flight.

DRDANISE...yikes - a carnivore horror story!  I am so glad you liked AIDA.  I enjoyed it SO MUCH when I saw the tour last year.  Mickey was on the road with the show at that time, so I saw him as well.  I really like the show, MOST of the music, and the ending is very very sad....well it is AIDA after all!   The CD is one of my favorite cast CD's!

FORBIDDEN PLANET or GIGI?  No contest!  Robby the Robot all the way!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up