Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA  (Read 18695 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA
« on: May 31, 2004, 12:00:48 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have spake to you, and now it is time to post until the cows come home or, at the very least, until June shows its face at midnight.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 12:01:09 AM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 12:30:35 AM »

Happy first post dance!

Yippee ki yi yay, brother trucker!

Yippee ki yi yay!

Ah Has Spaken!

I am going to relish this final day of May in the year 2004.

It will never happen again.  There will never be another May 31, 2004.

And this one will be a corker, I'm sure, because June is just bustin' to spread out all over come midnight.

I'm not really ready for June.  In fact, I'm not altogether convinced that we've actually finished with March yet.  Where did the winter go?  Where did the spring go?

Where did my New Year's resolutions go and why am I suddenly five months behind in my resolve?

s-i-g-h!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 12:37:09 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 12:36:01 AM »

Well... I still haven't caught up on the posts... So...

However, I'm past my "wet noodle" stage - someone threw me on the wall and I stuck!!  -ugh!

And now I'm WIDE AWAKE!!!

So... Time to get a-readin'!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 02:42:45 AM »

Good Morning!(!!!!!)

Well, it's 5:10AM here on the East Coast, and I'm still up - ?!?!?!?!?  At least I don't have a show today... And since the banks are closed... And since it's supposed to be overcast and rainy today...

*And Steve reminded me that since it's tomorrow is Memorial Day, everyone will be on the highway tomorrow returning home...  So instead of heading back up to NoVA tomorrow night (Monday night) like I have been doing, I shall make the trip Tuesday morning.  And since it's still supposed to be overcast on Tuesday, it shouldn't be too hot.  -It was actually kind of cool for tonight's drive back down I-95.

Hmmm - I read today's notes, but now I can't remember what the Topic of the Day is... hmmm... guess that means I'm finally getting sleepy... However...

On this Memorial Day...  Watching the veterans from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, etc. (and that's certainly not a "trivial" etc.) come into DC this weekend...  Along with their families and friends...  Let us just hope for the day when there will be no more "need" to build another memorial.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 02:53:46 AM »

OK... Universal classic horror films...  Well, since I am of an age where I was not privileged to see them in a theatre...

The only one that comes to mind is "The Wolf Man".  For some reason, this one was always being shown on TV at various hours on various days throughout my childhood and adolescence.  Oh, but I do remember a "series" of movies being shown on some channel - "The Wolf Man" one night, with "The Mummy" the next night...  And I remember staying up late to catch them.. I must have been 9 or 10 years old.  Hmm...

OK - the sun is starting to come out and it's still "today" for me, not "tomorrow"... so....

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 05:30:56 AM »

Favorite Universal Horror Film has to be Smokey and The Bandit Part 3. Which in its original cut was called The Smokey is the Bandit where Jackie Gleason played the Smokey and the Bandit, but test audiences found it too confusing and the reshot the film with Jerry Reed as the Bandit. Which also explains why Collen Camp's accent switches from scene to scene.

but then again there is a different tv version with Jerry Reed as well.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 05:33:23 AM »

But seriously my favorite cheesy Universal Horror film has to be the all star Sentinel. Filmed during the 70's when Universal was doing there all star epic film schtick.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 05:35:38 AM »

Last day of May!  Tomorrow is June.  I have rehearsal for STATE FAIR tonight so I will not be here for chat.  

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.   :-\

Hmmmmmmmm....Classic Universal Horror.  There are a couple I really like.  I like most of the Mummy movies.  I think my favorite is THE HOUSE OF DRACULA that has ALL the monsters in it.  Of course, without seeing all the movies before, you don't know why the monsters are acting the way they do - but I like to see them all together, and the Wolf Man gets cured in this one.  8)

Just PAST the classics, my favorite Universal Monster is the Creature from the Black Lagoon.  I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that he never got to meet Abbott and Costello.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 05:36:39 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 05:53:45 AM »

One of my all-time favorite films, not just as a Universal Horror film, is The Bride of Frankenstein.  So much for the notion that sequels are never as good as the originals!  

This movie is so wonderfully over-the-top, and has so many things going for it that it's amazing James Whale managed to fit it all into the seventy-five minute running time.  Make no mistake, this movie moves at a breathless clip.  Both Boris Karloff and Colin Clive are better here than in Frankenstein, which is no mean feat, but the movie gets stolen (stolen, is the word!) by Ernest Thesiger, as the Bitterest Old Queen in the World, Dr. Septimus Praetorius.  And it features the only major FEMALE monster in cinematic history.  (Unless, of course, you're counting the Alien, in Alien.)

The story is out-and-out blasphemous* at times, as Whale actually equates the Frankenstein Monster as a Christ-like martyr!  (How the Breen Office could've missed that only shows just how pointless censorship can be!)

And as if all that weren't enough, it's got one of the best film scores ever written, by Franz Waxman.  

By the way, the new transfer of The Bride of Frankenstein on deeveedee is far better than the original release.  The only thing I dislike about these new Legacy discs is their ugly packaging.  I far prefer the ressurected original artwork that was used on the initial discs.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2004, 05:54:55 AM »

*Blasphemy is a victimless crime.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 05:56:09 AM by Robin »

Danise

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 06:08:47 AM »

Morning all!

I couldn't read the notes.  For some reason, they won't come up.  Keeps saying some kind of error and I get a blank screen.  

I'll try again later.

Jane, I am SO happy you got to speak to your son!  I only wish it could have been as clear for you and him as it was for you and I.  I have discovered that the new cell phone doesn't work as well as the old in places like the grocery store.  I'm not quite sure why that is.

I still can't get over how nice this flat panel monitor is!  It's wonderful to be able to read everything without glasses!

Everything is put away now so my trips are truely part of the past.  Sigh.  I confess it is somewhat of a let down/come down after being so excited about going for so long.  I simply must plan something else so I have something new to look forward to.

I guess I could start working on a passport so I could maybe go to London and see Michael Crawford in Woman in White. I'll have to think about it.

Well, I've got a grill to assemble.  That sonic boom you might hear could be me.  I'm not the best with instructions and tend to get a bit  shall we say colorful when tab A won't fit into slot B.

This year IS flying by.  No more lusty month of May!  But look at the bright side, we're past the no-holiday hump.  From now until the end of the year, most of us (at least I do hope so) will have a holiday to look forward to at least every other month!  

4th of July, then Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years!  February thru April are the dry months.

Universal classic horror films.  I love them all!  I remember watching most of them on Saturday afternoon on Creature Feature with Dr. Paul Bearer.  “I’ll be lurking for yoooooou! Ha, ha, ha, ha!” was his line at the end of every show.

But I have to confess that since I have a fondness for vampires, I’d have to say the Dracula movies were my favorites.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 06:43:44 AM »

Well I did go to bed earlier and yet I am still tired!

DR Emily: Don't know if postcards interest you.  But the postcard show is next weekend.  Email me if you want more details.

Yesterday someone (I think it was DR Michael Shayne?) asked who had seen Whistle Down the Wind in london.

Well I did.  It was my one and only trip to London.  And it was a trip my sister won.  I liked the show just okay.  It was alright, but nothing great.

I'm late right now, so I gotta go. Happy holiday everyone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 06:45:56 AM »

May I just say what in tarnation AM I doing up at six-thirty in the morning?  Maybe I'll try going back to sleep in a while.  Meanwhile, where in tarnation IS everyone?

I thought The Sentinel was one of the worst movies ever made.  I worked with its star, Christina Raines, and I don't believe it was a pleasant experience for anyone.  I believe the director was Michael Winner, who was not.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2004, 06:52:49 AM »

I guess my favorite Universal horror film is the paean to weirdness THE OLD DARK HOUSE. A wonderful cast of eccentrics roaming around just about the creepiest house ever constructed on a soundstage - bliss!

I also love THE WOLF MAN, THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, and THE INVISIBLE MAN. The FRANKENSTEIN and MUMMY pictures never interested me that much. And I do like DRACULA and its sequels, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2004, 06:53:10 AM »

Bruce, did I wake you?  I swear ( err make that haven't sworn--yet)  I haven't started on the grill yet!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 06:54:04 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 06:54:49 AM »

Last night I was asked to take with me a HUGE pan of leftover dessert from the cookout - chocolate eclair cake. Do I need to tell you I will be a VERY bad boy today and consume mass quantities of this treat!

How tragic to have an insatiable sweet tooth.  :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 06:56:07 AM by Matt H. »

Danise

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 06:58:58 AM »

My heart (and sweet tooth) go out to you, Matt.  Life is tough sometimes.  Just tighten your belt, so to speak, and you'll get though it!  :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 06:59:27 AM »

Good morning, all!  I hope the weather for today is pleasant wherever you may be.  I'm cooped in on the Chorus project, but I will go out later and have some dinner with DR PennyO.

TOD:  THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN and THE MUMMY.

I'm also fond of the bizarre home design in THE SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, but I never much liked the Dracula films, possibly because I saw the Christopher Lee HORROR OF DRACULA first and that's closer to the novel, which first terrified me when I was 12 or 13.  As for THE WOLFMAN, I like it's gothic romanticism and I love Maria Ouspenskaya.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2004, 07:02:19 AM »

Have a wonderful time, Elmore and Penny!  I can speak highly of the company.

Are you going to Joe Allens too?  If so I can picture you there.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Robin

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2004, 07:07:36 AM »

I guess my favorite Universal horror film is the paean to weirdness THE OLD DARK HOUSE.

And one of those eccentrics is played by Ernest Thesiger.  He plays a character named "Horace Femm".  I get a kick out of that!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2004, 07:12:26 AM »

The final entry in Juliana's Journal is now up.  Be sure to check it out.

Danise, have you been able to access the notes?  I had no prob when I just tried.

Danise

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2004, 07:21:04 AM »

I don't know what the problem was before but it seems to have gone away.  I can read the notes now.

May I say that I applaud your decision to take the high road on that personal issue?  I am attempting to do the same with one of my own.  It is so hard to know what to do when one has been so badly hurt.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 07:23:25 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2004, 07:36:42 AM »

In my case it's not hurt, it's just rudeness and unnecessary rudeness at that.  

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2004, 07:46:42 AM »

I have made no decisions yet about which DVDs I'll be watching. I have some shows recorded on the DVR from last night, but that will only take less than a couple of hours. So, I'll have some decisions to make about movie watching. Just can't gauge right now what mood I'm in insofar as a movie is concerned.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2004, 08:01:32 AM »

May I just say what in tarnation AM I doing up at six-thirty in the morning?  Maybe I'll try going back to sleep in a while.  Meanwhile, where in tarnation IS everyone?

I thought The Sentinel was one of the worst movies ever made.  I worked with its star, Christina Raines, and I don't believe it was a pleasant experience for anyone.  I believe the director was Michael Winner, who was not.

But of course there are a lot better horror films. I may have liked it because he was the first 18 years and over film I legitmatly was able to see. All the nudity and violence

Michael Winner was/is not a good film director even though he seemed to get a lot of work. He did a lot with Charles Bronson, The first three Death Wish films, The Mechanic, The Stone Killer, Chato's Land. I didn't realize how many films I saw that he directed and now I know why I didn't like them. His Appointment With Death was the only Agatha Christie film I saw that I was able to figure out who the killer was. His other terrible films include Firepower, Scorpio, the remake of The Big Sleep, the "prequel" to The Turn of the Screw called The Nightcomers and Won Ton Ton The Dog That Save Hollywood
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2004, 08:03:50 AM »

And those who wondered what BK did with Christina Raines. They both did the Pilot in Doctor's Hospital back in 1975.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2004, 08:05:06 AM »

And whatever happened to Christina Raines? She seemed to give up acting after 1987?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2004, 08:20:53 AM »

Compared to the Agatha Christie adaptations that Lord Brabourne produced, APPOINTMENT WITH DEATH was kind of awful. It had a wonderful cast  of stars (and several nice looking younger actors who weren't stars then and didn't become stars alas) including bk's beloved Hayley Mills, and the mystery's a fairly good one. But it just plods.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2004, 08:26:49 AM »

I don't know much from horror films. But I do want to add that my high school Chemistry teacher, Mrs. Mills, had a daughter named Hayley.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2004, 08:34:21 AM »

Have a wonderful time, Elmore and Penny!  I can speak highly of the company.

Are you going to Joe Allens too?  If so I can picture you there.   :)

I have no idea what I did, so I'll redo it!

DRDanise, welcome home.  I'm listening to Guy Haines sing "When You're Far From Home" from the PETER PAN album, and it seems appropriate.  I've been enjoying your narrative, and I hope you continue it.  The suspense is killing me.

Tomorrow night, PennyO Partay at Joe Allen's, 5:30 pm.  I believe DRs Ben and Jason will be there, and I hope some other DRs show up as well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up