Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA  (Read 18693 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THUS SPAKE ZARATHUSTRA
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2004, 10:35:42 AM »

And one for Mahler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2004, 10:36:48 AM »

Shayne: The Bay Cities catalogue was mostly licensed material, so that material has reverted the the rights holders.  In the case of Brent's album, it reverted to him and he's put it out himself.  Try amazon.com.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2004, 10:49:02 AM »

MBarnum, Keith Andes was the first Man of La Mancha I saw at the Schubert Theatre in Cincinnati.  Of the three productions I've seen, he was also the best.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2004, 11:03:48 AM »

And I will not be cooking for that family again.

What a waste of good food and my time.  Bleh.

Had you brought those victuals to my table, they'd have been devoured gleefully and generous recognition and appreciation would have been showered on the chef du cuisine.  

You must have been terrible disappointed and/or hurt, Dear Reader S. Woody White.  My heart goes out to you.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2004, 11:04:40 AM »

I don't think that I know a Universal monster movie from any other.  And I have to admit that I don't think I've seen any of the Universal movies that have been mentioned...at least not more than bits of them.  I've heard of a lot of them, but I've never seen any of them. ::)

And what's this about an Isaac Mizrahi brand of cheese??  Now that's diversifying! ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 11:05:05 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2004, 11:06:52 AM »

Well, I must be off.  I have to help my sister clean out her garage.

WHY, OH WHY DID I HAVE TO MOVE NEXT DOOR TO HER??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2004, 11:08:36 AM »

And what's this about an Isaac Mizrahi brand of cheese??  Now that's diversifying! ;)

Didn't Oleo Cassini do a line of margarine?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2004, 11:14:45 AM »

MBarnum, Keith Andes was the first Man of La Mancha I saw at the Schubert Theatre in Cincinnati.  Of the three productions I've seen, he was also the best.

He talks about Man of La Mancha in the interview. As I recall it wore him out as he never missed a performance. He semi-retired from acting shortly afterwards. He also talks about playing in Wildcat with Lucille Ball.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2004, 11:16:36 AM »

PS: Re the cole slaw.  I made a terrible mistake.  I grated a carrot and added that to the slaw.  This, apparently, is not done in der Brucer's daughter's husband's family, so they refused to eat it.  According to them, cole slaw is supposed to be cabbage, mayo, and pineapple, and nothing else.  They also refused to eat the potato salad.  According to them, potato salad does not contain onion, or celery, or any spices or herbs.  Potato salad contains potatoes and mayo.  And nothing else.  They also refused to eat the cookies I baked.  They didn't taste exactly like they've had before, so the cookies were deemed "bad."

I do not cook for McDonald's.  I do not cook baby food.  And I will not be cooking for that family again.

DRSWW, I hate to insult anyone's family but my own, but I'm truly puzzled by the rudeness of these folk,  Your meal sounds quite delish, andI hope they went home hungry.  Your next act of kindness should be to send them an etiquette book.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2004, 11:41:57 AM »

Dan (the man) your late night dance may just be the funniest one yet.

Tomorrow will be June and it will also be Keith’s and my 35th wedding anniversary.  

There goes my happy mood, I didn’t know Janet Margolin had passed away.  I shouldn’t have looked up what from either.

Robin

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »

Shayne: The Bay Cities catalogue was mostly licensed material, so that material has reverted the the rights holders.  In the case of Brent's album, it reverted to him and he's put it out himself.  Try amazon.com.

Being the STAR TREK geek I am, I've been wanting a copy of the Brent Spiner CD for years, but I'm not willing to pay extortionate prices for a copy.  

There's a copy of this going on amazon.com for $84.99.  

As much as I want the CD, I don't quite want it that much.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jane

« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2004, 11:57:54 AM »

PS: Re the cole slaw.  I made a terrible mistake.  I grated a carrot and added that to the slaw.  This, apparently, is not done in der Brucer's daughter's husband's family, so they refused to eat it.  According to them, cole slaw is supposed to be cabbage, mayo, and pineapple, and nothing else.  They also refused to eat the potato salad.  According to them, potato salad does not contain onion, or celery, or any spices or herbs.  Potato salad contains potatoes and mayo.  And nothing else.  They also refused to eat the cookies I baked.  They didn't taste exactly like they've had before, so the cookies were deemed "bad."

I do not cook for McDonald's.  I do not cook baby food.  And I will not be cooking for that family again.

What a waste of good food and my time.  Bleh.

I’m sorry, it isn’t funny but it is.  I’m laughing and I know how much work you put into this party.  Someone might have told you ahead of time, knowing what you were going to make.  Weren’t these dishes by request?  I can understand the children not eating it, but the adults could have eaten some of it.  I know I would have, and because it sounds delicious.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2004, 12:01:31 PM »

Danise, you have a different server for your new phone.  Since Keith switched us from Cellular to Sprint (he liked their phones better) I can’t use my phone in far more places without turning it to roaming.  I have also found my cell phone works best in Albertson’s than in our other markets here.

Jennifer your sister won a trip to London and took you-nice sister.

SWW, I forgot.  Were those your chocolate chip cookies?

Jason

« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2004, 12:04:53 PM »

I watched the entire first season of BULLSH*T last night and then I crashed. Oh, yes, Dear Readers, I crashed hard. In fact, I just woke up about an hour ago...of course, I was up until nearly 6:00 this morning. BK: I never found any outtakes that featured you doing your doctor schtick. Am I missing something? Also, on the third disc it says there's supposedly a Bonus Episode which I was unable to find. What's wrong with me???

And what's wrong with my computer?!!? The font size is STILL screwed up.

I'm afraid I can't contribute to the TOTD--I don't really know from Universal Monster Movies. But I am gonna run out and get some lunch and watch THE POSEDION ADVENTURE and THE TOWERING INFERNO in just a few minutes. How exciting...!

Looking forward to Joe Allen tomorrow at 5:30p.m. Hoorah!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2004, 12:07:40 PM »

Zarathustra?  Isn't that the cheese that you melt with butter and then toss with pasta?  I think I had that once at "The Old Spaghetti Factory" (A Northwest tradition, but not a very good one).  Oh, wait, maybe that's Mizithra.
No, no, no, Zuben Mizithra used to conduct the Los Angeles Philharmonic!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2004, 12:13:32 PM »

I can't get the #$~!@ charcoal to light!  Did a fine job of burning my right hand but the stupid coals will NOT catch.  Errrrr!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2004, 12:14:37 PM »

Had you brought those victuals to my table, they'd have been devoured gleefully and generous recognition and appreciation would have been showered on the chef du cuisine.  

You must have been terrible disappointed and/or hurt, Dear Reader S. Woody White.  My heart goes out to you.
The word is pissed.

Fortunately, the rejection didn't happen while I was there.  Der B and I had to leave early, before the party, because I had to get to work.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2004, 12:17:57 PM »

Tomorrow will be June and it will also be Keith’s and my 35th wedding anniversary.

Jane and Keith, Congratulations! (a day early).  My parents' 40th wedding anniversary is June 22nd.  Also, my mom's birthday is June 16th and June 14th is the 6th anniversary of my getting my very first new car (and I still have it).  AND Father's Day is this month also.  Very busy, holiday-wise. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2004, 12:19:29 PM »

DRSWW, I hate to insult anyone's family but my own, but I'm truly puzzled by the rudeness of these folk,  Your meal sounds quite delish, andI hope they went home hungry.  Your next act of kindness should be to send them an etiquette book.
I'm not sure they can read.

The good news is that my work schedule pretty well fills up my Saturdays.  The next birthday party will be on a Saturday.  

Although I could attend one of their gatherings with a bottle of Tobasco in my pocket!   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2004, 12:23:14 PM »

SWW, I forgot.  Were those your chocolate chip cookies?
Yes.  But I left out the nuts, since der B's daughter's husband doesn't like nuts.

He does like potatoes and mayo.  He puts mayo on mashed potatoes.  Which aren't made from real potatoes, but come from a box.

Which says a lot.

Danise

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2004, 12:27:13 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congrats to Jane and Keith on their 35th Wedding Anniversary.  [/move]

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2004, 12:27:20 PM »

One bit of good news: In a random drawing over at eGullet.com, I am one of five posters (who sent in questions for the Alton Brown Q&A) who will be receiving a copy of Mr. Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen.

Of course, being an Alton Brown fan, I already have a copy of Mr. Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen.

Der Brucer and I have already agreed that the extra copy should go to the local library.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2004, 12:28:51 PM »

And I add my own huzzah to Jane and Keith!

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D[/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2004, 12:29:53 PM »

Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho,
It's Off to Work I Go!

Back sometime tonight.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2004, 12:45:53 PM »

Elmore, LOL.  

SWW was anyone besides the family at the party?  I hope someone ate your food.  DerBrucer must feel very bad about this.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2004, 12:58:56 PM »

Happy Anniversary Jane and Keith.

Hmmmmm....LOL TCB!

Toast of New York.....good movie...Frances is beautiful and Cary Grant is Cary Grant!

And it always reminds me of an introduction that Steve Allen once made of some singer on his show:

Here she is.....the toast of two continents....and the jellybread of two more....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2004, 01:02:51 PM »

George, thanks.  Interesting, the 16th was my mother’s birthday, the 14th my sister’s and my brother’s name is George.  I could not come up with anything personal on the 22nd.

Thank you Danise and SWW!  It is hard to imagine 35 years have gone by already.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Jane

« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2004, 01:04:04 PM »

Thank you JRand53.

Cute Steve Allen quote.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2004, 01:04:16 PM »

Spent a lovely, tear-drenched afternoon watching the Cukor/Hepburn LITTLE WOMEN. Beautifully restored print, and you ask for a better rendition of the classic book. I had an old MGM videotape, and this looks like it was just made yesterday.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2004, 01:05:53 PM »

I had to do a bit of research to find which movies were by Universal.  I only site I found would not connect and I’m done researching for now-too time consuming.  If anyone has a site, please post it.

I rarely watched horror films as a child.  Movies I did watch, and enjoy, were KING KONG, SON OF KONG, and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, none of which are a Universal film.  Though I did watch it, I never thought of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME as a horror movie.  

In high school Keith began my indoctrination, over my loud protests, into scary movies with THE BLOB.  I only watched it as he agreed to hold me during the movie.  He kept saying it wouldn’t be necessary and kept laughing because it was.  From there we ventured into more frightening movies and now I’m amazed at what I will watch.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up