Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX  (Read 84953 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »

We went to a Debate Potluck last night which was fun, as it was kind of like MST3K with all of us making snarky comments.  I must say, I brought the house down during the "bracelet" segment.  When Obama said, "I have a bracelet, too," I interjected "as well as matching earrings and some nice pumps."  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »

Who knew Right-Wingers watched PBS? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2008, 09:59:27 AM »

I guess they have to watch it to justify getting rid of it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

Well, maybe we should all watch The Hustler, in honor of the TOD and Mr. Newman's death.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2008, 10:12:07 AM »

Well, maybe we should all watch The Hustler, in honor of the TOD and Mr. Newman's death.

Or, perhaps, CAT ON A HOT TIN WOOF ROOF and skip Mr. Scott?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »

Danise----I'm so so sorry to hear about Bear. Big hugs to you and vibes of comfort. Although it may seem like nothing can help at times like this, know that we are here for you.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »

Hugs and love to DR Danise

Ben

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2008, 10:33:03 AM »

I won't be seeing All My Sons, at least today. I went up to see if I could get a matinee ticket and yes, there are matinee tickets available but they are $63 for f***ing partial view. How stupid do you think I am (don't answer that)? Perhaps if you had a partial view for $20 I might consider but you're out of your mind if you think I'm paying $63 for a partial view ticket. Shove it up your money grubbing...throat (a partial Stop the World reference).

OK, theatre price rant over.

Ben

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2008, 10:33:40 AM »

Much love and good thoughts to dear Danise!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2008, 11:01:23 AM »

Back from the long jog, have shaved and must now shower and be on my way.  I'll be back this afternoon.

JMK

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2008, 11:03:57 AM »

Ooohhh---Mrs. Zhuyuning is evidently still single, and is urging me once again to "ACKNOWLEDGE MY PROPOSAL".  I am from Utah, after all, so perhaps a second wife *is* in order.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2008, 11:04:56 AM »

Just having fun.  The higher road is always acceptable behavior, though it tends not to be in my personality.  :)

Speaking of acceptable behavior.  There are proper forms of address to persons in positions of power in our country. This includes addressing a Senator as "Senator" during a formal occasion such as a debate.  Referring to a Senator in that setting by his first name is either just plain rude,  intentionally demeaning or simply shows a lack of manners.

It would be like me going to court and saying to the judge "Mark, you and I can agree that my client is innocent" Not only would that be improper, I would most likely be cited for comtempt.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

Me so sad .. I loved, loved, loved Paul Newman ...

Cool Hand Luke -- hands down my favorite role of his (and among my favorite movies)

Liked him in Slap Shot
And how could he have been more charming (and sexy) than in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting?
... and check out that scene with him and Joanne Woodard in that store (I think it was like a general store) in The Long Hot Summer -- the chemistry is obvious, no wonder she fell for him, he was (in my best Jamaican accent) "one sexy Mon"

*sigh*

Miss Karen

« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:35 AM »

Right-wingers like to watch ... everything --- they're into keeping tabs on things and  people (Ain't that right, Wubba?)

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2008, 11:27:35 AM »

Why Miss Karen, how are ya!

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »

My vote is going to Obama.

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2008, 11:30:36 AM »

And, as I have $20 in Target gift certificates to use, sayonara for now.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2008, 11:31:34 AM »

TCB, any updates on Jed and Ann's baby?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2008, 11:34:37 AM »

TCB, any updates on Jed and Ann's baby?

Dear Reader Laura, I have written to Jed and Ann about an update on Toby, but I have gotten no response.  That worries me.
“One thing’s universal,

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2008, 11:35:47 AM »

Thanks.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:04 AM »

Just did it! She creeps me out. But some feminists are supporting her, I hear? I cannot think why.

I've gotten that email a number of times and every time I vote yes  ;)  it says 49% to 49%.  I've had a number of friends also tell me it was tied.  Not sure if it's real or not.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »

DR Danise, I am so sorry about Bear.  My heart goes out to you.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2008, 11:49:24 AM »

I'm sticking with Obama; I thought John McCain came off last night as belligerent, mean, hostile and such an ugly troll that a bridge ought to be built over him.  I also found his insistence on not making eye contact with Obama a sign of complete contempt for his opponent.

I thought Obama came off as a stick, and I wonder if it's not an attitude he's developed to separate himself from his background in the lower middle-class? I didn't get this in his convention attitudes at all.

What lower middle-class background?  He was in prep school starting in junior high, went to Columbia and Harvard. Doesn't sound too lower middle class to me.  His "single mother" was only single for about 2-3 years after his father left them (about the time she realized he already had a wife and children in Kenya) before she married again to a man who had money. The only time they didn't have much money was when she was working on her PHD (which of course all lower middle class single parents are doing). Even if he got into the private schools etc on scholarships, it isn't a lower middle class atmosphere by any stretch of the imagination.

I believe his cousin is the man who ran for president in Kenya recently. There was a lot of violence during those elections.  His cousin, who reportedly backs the Taliban and was trying to get more Islamic rule in Kenya, hosted Barak Obama and claims the two are close.
I have no idea if that part is true, but it's widely reported, and no, I'm not trying to say Barak Obama has anything to do with Islam or the Taliban because I don't believe that. What I'm saying is his background is not lower middle class in the sense most people would think of that term.  

He spent what - two or three years after Harvard as a community organizer earning very little money? (Wasn't he also a university lecturerer during that time...maybe that was later)  That's honorable, but doesn't make one lower middle class.

I don't "love" John McCain, but he is who he is and I'm less afraid of the devil I know than the one I don't.   I do know he has a history of reaching across the aisle much more than Obama and I believe that's what we need.

Now, Singdaw, if you want to attack me for this...go right ahead.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 11:49:50 AM by Cillaliz »

Miss Karen

« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

I have been biting my tongue over Palin

SingDawg ~ If you need to vent, PM me. Palin lost me at "creationism" so I can't take her seriously -- call me crazy, but I believe in fossils (which is ironic because they sure believe in fossil fuels, don't they?...). I don't know SingDawg, but every day, she reminds me more and more of a Wubba in a skirt and McCain reminds me more and more of a Cheney in a rumpled suit ... But, beware, I think the Demos are dweebs, too -- there's enough blame for the past 8 years to pass around to everyone (and Biden? What were they thinking?! Bor-ring ... Should have gone with Chet or Hillary). The two-party system is the prob -- they can't get anything done because it is so partisan and all they care about is getting elected or re-elected. And the bailout? Don't get me started ... Okay, off the soapbox ... What was the topic of the day? Oh, yeah, George C. Scott ...

Patton
Dr. Strangelove

Miss Karen

« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »

Sorry to hear about Bear, DR Danise. I know how those family members are most beloved, so it's hard when they go. Comfort vibes to you.

Miss Karen

« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2008, 12:07:57 PM »

Why Miss Karen, how are ya!

Hiya, Mikey  :-*!!  I'm doing okay -- the summer was nuts (hence my E and T behavior). I've missed checking in with all you HHWers.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »

I believe his cousin is the man who ran for president in Kenya recently. There was a lot of violence during those elections.  His cousin, who reportedly backs the Taliban and was trying to get more Islamic rule in Kenya, hosted Barak Obama and claims the two are close.
I have no idea if that part is true, but it's widely reported, and no, I'm not trying to say Barak Obama has anything to do with Islam or the Taliban because I don't believe that. What I'm saying is his background is not lower middle class in the sense most people would think of that term.  

He spent what - two or three years after Harvard as a community organizer earning very little money? (Wasn't he also a university lecturerer during that time...maybe that was later)  That's honorable, but doesn't make one lower middle class.

I don't "love" John McCain, but he is who he is and I'm less afraid of the devil I know than the one I don't.   I do know he has a history of reaching across the aisle much more than Obama and I believe that's what we need.

Shows how misinformed I was. Doesn't change mt opinion of him.  I suppose it's this intense hatred of him that keeps you so informed of not just the facts but the rumors.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »

Now, Singdaw, if you want to attack me for this...go right ahead.

Cilla, I certainly would never attack you for your political beliefs.  I have a great deal of respect for Sen. McCain, and I know a lot of very well-educated people who feel he is the best choice for President.

What disturbs me is that you are using the same attack and run posture that the Republican party loves to use.  You throw out a statement like the one regarding Obama's non-cousin, Odinga, but then follow it up by saying that, of course, you don't believe that Obama has anything to do with Islam or the Taliban.  However, the dirt has already been thrown, regardless of your following sentence.

The story of Obama and Odinga has, indeed, been widely reported, but it has also been widely refuted.  To continually quote it as the truth is hurtful to both sides, and has nothing to do with the present Presidential campaign, except to muddy the waters.

I feel the same way about anti-Palin claims regarding banned books, book burnings, and other untruths.
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »

Shows how misinformed I was. Doesn't change mt opinion of him.  I suppose it's this intense hatred of him that keeps you so informed of not just the facts but the rumors.  

If you're really interested, I considered supporting him last fall.  I wasn't a Hillary supporter then, I was in Richardson's camp, but knew he didn't have a chance.  I hadn't yet gone over to Edwards and I started studying all the candidates both from their own literature, their own books and what I could find on the web.  So, that's how and why I did all my research.  I've seen him in person twice, I saw Edwards 3 times, Richardson 3 or 4 times, Biden twice, Dodd once, didn't go th the Hillary events but did go see Bill, I worked the caucus for the party, I listened to all the speeches etc.  I have never said you or anyone else has to agree with me.  I really don't care.  

Since the attacks today seem to be getting more and more personal towards me even though everyone else can freely attack Palin and McCain with no one caring...maybe it's time for me to leave.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2008, 12:33:58 PM »

I hope my comments were not taken as personal.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up