Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX  (Read 83863 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE BROKEN RECORD REDUX
« Reply #300 on: September 27, 2008, 08:40:31 PM »

Done with Aldo Ray and now time to watch a Bollywood movie.

Tonight's selection is AAROP (1973)starring Vinod Khanna, Saira Bano, and Rehman. It is a story of love and the fight against injustice in small town.

All I care is that I see some dancing!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 08:41:00 PM by MBarnum »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #301 on: September 27, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »

Honestly, I don't know how I'm going to vote.

There's always Mickey Mouse. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #302 on: September 27, 2008, 08:50:16 PM »

...Oddly I have never had a friend who was of the Republican Party persuasion berate me, or bash me for my views.  I have only been respected or at the least, forgiven. ;)

Sadly I have been badgered, berated & bashed by Democrats for expressing any opposing views regarding the Democratic candidates.  ...

This skews with my own personal experiences in the past.

Back when der B and I were serving on the Republican Central Committee for our Congressional district, we would regularly have to face other Republicans who were diametrically opposed to anyone or anthing that was gay.  While their anathma was fairly obvious, they never berated us face to face.  If anything, they held their rhetoric in check - something that led to der B and myself being invited to all sorts of events where our group of tolerant and inclusive Republican friends (no, that is not an oxymoron) were glad of our bottle-stopper effect.  It was wonderously funny at times.

On the other hand, we lost track of the times that we would be representing Log Cabin at one event or another, and members of the "Gay Left" would come at us, literally screaming at us that we were self-hating traitors to the cause.  Some of them would literally order us not to interrupt while they piled on their abuse.  It led me to wonder - who exactly was doing the hating?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #303 on: September 27, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »

I've a fairly early call to work tomorrow.  Hasta.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2008, 09:00:52 PM »

I stayed up far too late last night reading, so I'm heading down now and going right to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #305 on: September 27, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »

DR George - I had a similar experience to you with Rent - I arrived a half hour early, only to be the first one to arrive.  And in a theatre seating perhaps a few hundred people, there was a total audience of under 30 people.

The editing was a bit "busy, " but it did capture the theatrical experience pretty well.  As I had never seen Rent live on Broadway, I was grateful for the experience, and the cast sang the score very well, I thought.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #306 on: September 27, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »

DR George - I had a similar experience to you with Rent - I arrived a half hour early, only to be the first one to arrive.  And in a theatre seating perhaps a few hundred people, there was a total audience of under 30 people.

The editing was a bit "busy, " but it did capture the theatrical experience pretty well.  As I had never seen Rent live on Broadway, I was grateful for the experience, and the cast sang the score very well, I thought.

Well... I guess it was a "New York" thing... When I passed by Chelsea Clearview Cinemas earlier today, they had a big "Sold Out" sign in the box office window, and another big sign saying, "Line for RENT starts ->"...  And my friends who went today got there about 45 minutes before the movie started and the line was already 200 people deep.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2008, 09:15:08 PM »

The other great story she told was being in Follies out here for the Long Beach CLO.  Susan Johnson was also in the company, and Susan Johnson was Karen's idol, as Karen loved Ooh, My Feet and everything else Miss Johnson did in The Most Happy Fella (Miss Morrow eventually played that role for a Civic Center revival a few years later).  When she finally met her, she cried for about a week, she said.  Then, on opening night, Miss Johnson gave her a gift - the very gift that Frank Loesser had given her on opening night of Fella - a genuine amethyst tie pin (those who know the show will understand).  She said to Karen, "I can't think of anyone who should have this more than you."

I LOVE stories like that! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2008, 09:18:15 PM »

...And today's showing of the "Rent" movie in Times Square also happened to be attended by many of the people in the show/cast/movie.  They actually got to see their own closing show!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #309 on: September 27, 2008, 09:19:38 PM »

George:

Yesterday, you announced being cast in Orton's Loot.  

CONGRATULATIONS!

Der B and I enjoyed the play when it was presented by the International City Theater in Long Beach.  It's good social satire, unafraid of making it's jabs.  You'll have a good time.

Just be careful - at ICT the thrust stage was given a very steep rake, and at one point a significant prop fell and rolled off the stage!  Fortunately, one of the actors was also a trained circus clown, and mimed opening a window, climbed out, fetched the unfortunate prop and returned to the stage the way he came.  Obviously not part of the script, his action brought down the house.

The moral being: BE PREPARED FOR ANY AND EVERYTHING!!!

Have a great time!

Thanks!  Fortunately, this production will be held in a storefront theater that holds maybe 40-50 people, at the most, so there is no raised stage.  It's all down on the floor.  The chairs are on risers, which is a good thing.  But it's a very small area.  Even if something rolled anywhere, it can't go very far. :)

George

« Reply #310 on: September 27, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »

Well, I must be off, again.  I am going to see Lord Franzannian's Royal Olympian Spectacular Vaudeville Show! ;) Tonight's 10:00 pm showing benefits the performers!  They get the money from the ticket sales, so I'm doing my part to help...and I know a lot of the performers, so that'll be fun.

Until later...much later!

singdaw

« Reply #311 on: September 27, 2008, 09:30:25 PM »

I am very, very sorry that Karen Morrow will not be coming into NY in White Christmas.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2008, 09:47:10 PM »

DR singdaw - Don't you have to sing in a few hours?
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #313 on: September 27, 2008, 10:44:35 PM »

Oddly I have never had a friend who was of the Republican Party persuasion

Please - being Republican is not a persuasion, it is a hard wired personality trait - it is nature, not nurture...

Oh wait, that's the Gay Lifestyle argument....never mind

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #314 on: September 27, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »

Even if something rolled anywhere, it can't go very far. :)

And if it did, you could do your Dolly Dimples impersonation and roll right after it :D

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: September 27, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you here, BK.  While missing performances at the drop of a hankie is not a good thing in any way shape or form (just as it isn't a good thing where I work, or at any other work environment), for producers asking a lead performer to miss a performance so that the understudy could be seen in the heat of a performance may be a good thing, particularly in this day and age where it is the show, and not necessarily the performer, that is the draw.  I would, in fact, want this to happen, rather than throw the understudy onto the stage only to discover that he/she was totally inadequate and destroying everybody else's performance in the process.

(This coming on the day that our morning-shift cart wrangler, Frank, who is highly disciplined and would never call out without good reason, did indeed call out.  It turned out that none of the other wranglers would even return the calls that went out, asking them to come in to help, so a bunch of us took turns, not just myself without being asked.  And management did take note of who was pitching in.)

They have regular understudy rehearsals.  I think producers could watch them and learn what they had to learn.  I was doing a play at the Mark Taper Forum - the air conditioning there was really out of control and I got sick and got terrible laryngitits.  I got through the two Sunday performances, and Monday was our off day.  I told them that no matter what I would not miss a performance - they sent me to the best ENT doctor in the city - the one formerly known as Dr. Feelgood.  He treated my throat, swabbed me, gave me a shot, and told me not to talk at all during the day and night of Monday, and the days through Friday and he told me I'd be able to go on for Tuesday night's show - and I did.  And I never missed.  And my understudy never went on, but the powers that be knew what his performance was like because there'd been an understudy run-through with a small audience.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: September 27, 2008, 11:01:32 PM »

Someone please tell me Cilla will be back tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #317 on: September 27, 2008, 11:02:02 PM »

Back from a wonderully wonderful dinner party - great food, great guests, and I'll have a full report in the notes.

td

• td
« Reply #318 on: September 27, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »

I still love L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.

One of the stars of television's new season, Simon Baker - or as he was billed then Simon Baker Denny - has a very good role in L.A. CONFIDENTIAL.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #319 on: September 27, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »

I love fresh grated nutmeg! Especially topping off a banana milk shake that has been enhanced with 3oz. of VSOP Cognac.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up