Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22711 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2004, 12:39:27 PM »

I have had hominy, both by itself and in Menudo. I prefer it in Menudo.
Isn't Menudo that Latin boy band???

I though DR MBarnum was talking about eating in the nude.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2004, 12:40:08 PM »

Isn't Menudo that Latin boy band???

You beat me to the punch, DR TCB!  (And your comments were more appropriate for the family-friendly site that this is.....)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: June 22, 2004, 12:44:55 PM »

I got it now....Music from the Movies...why Travolta as an emcee when there are more "musical" choices?

Never mind...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: June 22, 2004, 12:45:03 PM »

I looked up The Pantry - or as it's called in all the listings: The ORIGINAL Pantry - to see where it was and discovered that it's owned by ex-Mayor Richard Riordan.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2004, 12:48:33 PM »

The last guy I dated seriously, which lasted about six months, made scrumptuous corn pudding.

When I was young, I did not like breakfast food for breakfast. In fact, because I had to get up so early to go to school, the only thing I could swallow in the morning for breakfast was something sweet like a doughnut or cinammon bun. This constituted my breakfast for about 13 years. But I loved eggs, bacon, sausage, grits, hash browns, so occasionally I'd talk my mother into having breakfast for dinner. Actually, it didn't take much persuading. My whole family liked that kind of food any time or the day or night for meals.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2004, 12:55:02 PM »

And you've got Joel Grey and Liza Minnelli, Rick Moranis, plus Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger, Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor for others who have performedd in musicals and are still with us.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2004, 12:56:58 PM »

I got it now....Music from the Movies...why Travolta as an emcee when there are more "musical" choices?

Never mind...

RLP, you crack me up.

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2004, 12:58:15 PM »

Okay, my stumped me Dan the Man, what musical did Michael Douglas do?

“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2004, 12:59:58 PM »

For some reason I rarely eat eggs for dinner.  But I know many people who do.

With all these descriptions I feel like I've been missing out on so much food.  I never have big breakfasts, unless it's a pancake brunch. Although I have been known to eat lunch at 10:30am or 11am on occasion.

I think I would like a recipe for hash browns.  Are they difficult to make?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2004, 01:05:42 PM »

A Breakfast related Page 5 dance!

Okay, my stumped me Dan the Man, what musical did Michael Douglas do?

One of the worst:  A Chorus Line.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 01:06:30 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2004, 01:46:25 PM »

Quite enjoyed "Murder in the Mews" and "The Disappearance of Johnnie Waverly" on my POIROT boxed set. I prefer reading the Poirot novels, but the Poirot short stories seem well served by these TV versions.

Jason

« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2004, 01:47:02 PM »

Jose: Spoon bread...MMMMMmmmm! And biscuits with apple butter!?!? And broccoli casserole with rice...Oh, my gosh...I'm drooling.

Thank you, S. Woody, for your definitions of food. After reading your description of scrapple, it seems to me that perhaps I have had it before. My grandfather makes a concoction he calls "Mush," and it sounds an awful lot like scrapple. My dad loves it, and I recall my mother being completely grossed out by the idea of it. If I recall correctly, I was rather impartial to it.

Anyone here heard of a Hot Brown? It's a hot turkey sandwich, sometimes with ham, too, on white toast covered in a cheese sauce with bacon strips and tomato slices on top. I used to hate them, but I grew into them and now I don't mind them so much. They're actually quite tasty, and a perfect way to get rid of some of that leftover turkey after Thanksgiving or Christmas. Here's a link to a recipe:  http://southernfood.about.com/library/rec03/bl30621b.htm

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »

A Breakfast related Page 5 dance!

One of the worst:  A Chorus Line.

That is probably why I blanked it out.
“One thing’s universal,

HollyLynn

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2004, 02:42:06 PM »

My mouth is watering just reading today's messages!  I only made it to page 3 before I had to make a peanut butter sandwich (my typical work-day running out the door with a cup of coffee, car keys, backpack, and briefcase).

My favorite all-time breakfast was at a restaurant (now closed  :( ) in college.  Two eggs (over-easy), potato pancakes, and a big fluffy homemade biscuit.  On--and lots of coffee--just regular, strong, coffee with lots of real cream.

I also like breakfast casseroles w/ various breakfast meats (you make it the night before and pop it in the oven first thing in the morning).  

I love cereal (I have to mix several different kinds) with yogurt or milk with a little peanut butter mixed in.  However, I tend to eat cereal at night more than for breakfast.

I could go on (I do believe this is my longest post yet), but I have to get back to work!

Jed

« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2004, 03:00:38 PM »

My favorite breakfast food would have to be biscuits and gravy, as cooked by my very own self or my father (or his mother, but that's a bit difficult now, as she died some 18 years ago).  We use dried beef for our gravy, rather than the standard sausage... quite tasty.  Also very fond of a good Eggs Benedict.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2004, 03:08:14 PM »

I want breakfast!!

Panni

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2004, 03:10:21 PM »

The above, BTW, is just a general statement. I actually had my usual breakfast of oatmeal and berries this morning. But all this talk of breakfast has made me want MORE breakfast. Breakfast for lunch and breakfast for dinner.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2004, 03:12:14 PM »

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! DAMN!

All this breakfast food talk is driving me up the wall.

I LOVE "Waffle House" pecan waffles with warm syrup, a side of bacon and hot coffee.

I LOVE grits and bacon, or grits and sausage.

I LOVE chipped beef on toast (AKA SOS).

I LOVE corn pudding and squash casserole and fried summer squash and fried okra and beefeater tomatoes and crowder peas and fresh corn.

I LOVE potato salad made with mayonnaise and mustard as a dressing with diced onion, celery and pickle.

I LOVE devilled eggs -- AUGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

It's all SCRUMPTIOUS!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jason

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2004, 03:25:31 PM »

My friend Jennifer is forever talking about how good S#@t On a Shingle is...I've never had it.

Robin

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2004, 03:39:20 PM »

OH!  And cinnamon rolls (Ann Sather's, when in Chicago, or a frozen brand called Rhode's, which are actually quite good).

Whenever Michael and I visit Chicago, breakfast at Ann Sather's is a must, and it's easy to get to, right off of the Belmont train stop.  The eggs benedict with salmon is wonderful!  And they hire the most adorable waiters in the known universe.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2004, 03:40:15 PM »

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! DAMN!

All this breakfast food talk is driving me up the wall.

I LOVE "Waffle House" pecan waffles with warm syrup, a side of bacon and hot coffee.

I LOVE grits and bacon, or grits and sausage.

I LOVE chipped beef on toast (AKA SOS).

I LOVE corn pudding and squash casserole and fried summer squash and fried okra and beefeater tomatoes and crowder peas and fresh corn.

I LOVE potato salad made with mayonnaise and mustard as a dressing with diced onion, celery and pickle.

I LOVE devilled eggs -- AUGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

It's all SCRUMPTIOUS!

DR RLP, your anguish has moved me.  I am hearby declaring the rest of today as breakfast time!  I am now heading out to an IHOP.  I suggest you all do likewise.  
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2004, 03:41:03 PM »

Jason, I was actually going to ask if your mom had a recipe for Hot Brown...a Kentucky favourite of mine, though anymore it's hard to justify eating it, given all its artery-clogging calories...but Yum! Same for spoon bread which the Lovely Wife on occasion whips up a batch.   The Lovely Wife also whips up killer Bourbon Balls for Derby each year.  And each year she always swears such a labour-intensive task will be the last, but I think our party goers would revolt if she did.  It's all they can talk about.

I must say however, I've never been overly wild about Burgoo.

RLP, Deviled Eggs...nirvana for me!

Panni

« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2004, 03:48:33 PM »

For Dan TM:

Robin

« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2004, 03:48:49 PM »

Sometimes, I have a Hostess breakfast.  You know, Twinkies, Ho-Hos or Ding-Dongs, with a huge glass of ice-cold milk.  

(Okay, TCB...I've given you an opening, and if you don't use it, you'll cut me to the quick!)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: June 22, 2004, 03:50:15 PM »

Jason, I was actually going to ask if your mom had a recipe for Hot Brown...a Kentucky favourite of mine, though anymore it's hard to justify eating it, given all its artery-clogging calories...but Yum! Same for spoon bread which the Lovely Wife on occasion whips up a batch.   The Lovely Wife also whips up killer Bourbon Balls for Derby each year.  And each year she always swears such a labour-intensive task will be the last, but I think our party goers would revolt if she did.  It's all they can talk about.

I must say however, I've never been overly wild about Burgoo.

RLP, Deviled Eggs...nirvana for me!

Charles, what is Burgoo?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »

Good Evening!

<burp>

All this talk of food today... On my walk back from practicing - and still no music :( - I made a stop into the Strawberry Street Market, and grabbed some dinner from the hot food counter in the back of the store.  I was about to get their fried chicken - which is very good - but opted instead for their daily special: baked, stuffed chicken breast.  It was soooo good.  And basically drowning in gravy.  For my two sides, I choose mac 'n cheese and green beans, and a square of cornbread.  And just to make sure I had a complete meal, I picked up a slice of chocolate cheesecake - which was actually a slice of regular cheesecake topped with a generous pour of chocolate ganache.

ALL GONE!  Needless to say, I'm very full right now, and I'll probably end up taking another walk later on just to make sure everything settles correctly.

<burp>

-Excuse me.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2004, 04:00:18 PM »

All right.

Another breakfast favorite:

A piece of toast, folded.

Add jelly.

Two strips of bacon.

YUM-MY!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2004, 04:03:38 PM »

I have a bunch of recipes for burgoo and brunswick stew.

They are similar, I believe.

I'm an absolute FIEND for Brunswick Stew.

I've planned my entire retirement toward becoming an eccentric southern gentleman who will have a huge cooking vat in his yard  for the express purpose of making a year's supply (at a time) of Brunswick Stew which I will personally put up for my -- and my friends who share the love -- of the delectable stew that is uniquely "Brunswick".

It has to be cooked outside in the summer time....so the gnats will swarm and season it!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 04:04:33 PM by RLP »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2004, 04:06:10 PM »

More random food thoughts...

Hot Brown - YUM!  -Basically an open-face turkey sandwich.  I actually prefer french fries on the side rather than the traditional mashed potatoes, and I always ask for gravy on my fries!  I also like open-face roast beef sandwiches.

Cream Chipped Beef - aka S.O.S. - This was another thing my dad would make from time to time.  Since he was in the Coast Guard, it was something he used to make for the mess hall and/or in the galley on board ship.  I haven't had it in a couple of years, hmmm...

Deviled Eggs - One of the fringe benefits of working at Ford's Theatre is that there is one crew guy, Billy, who loves to cook for the cast, and most of what he makes is very homey and comfy.  He always makes deviled eggs at least three or four times during a run a show there.  And he always brings in a few variations: plain, with olives, with bits of sausage under the yolk mixture, with crisp bits of bacon on top, etc.  Sooo good.  -And they make a nice light dinner before the show too!

Burgoo - I've had it once.  I liked it, but I prefer Brunswick Stew (in it's many variations and "traditions").

-And, yes, I'm still full from dinner!  :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #149 on: June 22, 2004, 04:14:56 PM »

Breakfasts

American: The French Grand Slam at Denny'
Jewish: Bagles, Lox and Cream Cheese
Oriental: Dim Sum (a little nosh of everything)
French: Crepes.
Diet: Fruit and Cottage Cheese
College: Carnation Instant
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up