Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22222 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2004, 09:18:08 AM »

I will not tell y'all what I had typed instead of peppers in my above post.  Thank goodness I caught it!

Was it "puppers"?  Or "puppies"?

Was it "Pappers"?  Or "pappies"?

Was it "pippers"?  Or "pippies"?

Was it "pyppers"? Or "pyppies"?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2004, 09:18:43 AM »

Please don't anyone beat "and one for Mahler" to death any longer.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:19:09 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2004, 09:23:10 AM »

Please don't anyone beat "and one for Mahler" to death any longer.....

OH!  I get it.. Since Mahler was a composer and he wrote music... which has a "beat"... and since he was also a conductor... so he would stand in front of an orchestra and "beat" the time...

;)

-Something tells me I need to get out of this apartment sometime today... and soon!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2004, 09:23:13 AM »

I get the urge usually once or twice a year to get a box of raisin bran or a box of frosted miniwheats and eat the cereal dry out of the box. I'm not a big milk drinker anyway, and for some reason doing that once or twice a year satisfies my hunger for cereal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2004, 09:24:20 AM »

MESSAGE FROM BK:

There's been a fershluganah power outage in his neighborhood so he won't be posting until the power comes back (or the cows come home).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:48:19 AM by Panni »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2004, 09:27:57 AM »

Question, especially for our Canadian DR's...has anyone ever heard of a cereal called Red River?  We used to have it when I was a kid, and I LOVED it.  

Every box of The Original Red River Cereal contains the natural, wholesome goodness of wheat, rye and flax. That's it. That's all.

der Brucer (who prefers his flax converted to white linen suits)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2004, 09:28:13 AM »

What is corned beef hash?

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2004, 09:28:35 AM »

I also have empty packets of all the Funny Faces drink mix characters (including the politically incorrect Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange.)

Oh, my gosh, I remember those Funny Face Drink mix characters! LOL! Didn't they have actually plastic drink cups as well or something...memory is hazy.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2004, 09:31:16 AM »

We have a store that sells Quisp. I used to buy it every now and then.

Hashbrowns with ketchup are yummy!

Lucky Charms were another favorite! Loved those little mashmallows!

Loved Fruity Pebbles and Coco Pebbles too!

Now I eat low carb bran flakes! My how things change as you get older! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2004, 09:32:30 AM »

The only corned beef hash I have ever had was the canned type. When we were kids that was always a special treat. Still pick a can of it up now and then. I think next time I eat breakfast out I will have that to see what real corned beef hash is like!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2004, 09:36:29 AM »

During the War (The Big One) the Navy was concerned about having an adequate supply of fresh milk for their Midshipmen – hence, The Naval Academy Dairy.

When I was at Annapolis, the dairy had a “crises” – and over abundance of cream (damn those Guernsey’s). In a desparate attempt to use up the stuff, the academy chef (one CDR Louis LaFarge, by name) turned the surplus into ice cream. One fine morning we all sat down to breakfast and found a large stainless bowl filled with fresh home-made vanilla ice cream. Now, we always had cereal and bowls of fresh fruit on the table…so…..

Take one large dish of vanilla ice cream, smother in fresh strawberries, and abundantly sprinkle with Frosted Flakes – now that’s Good Eats!

It was such a hit, that we had ice-cream for breakfast regularly thereafter.

Der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2004, 09:42:46 AM »

Question - of which website does BK speak?  The one that made him want to vomit on the ground...did it have anything to do with the post that George deleted?  I'm curious...

I think I know what the site that BK mentioned is, but I just made some comment about finding other sites that make me want to vomit on the ground but I didn't actually vomit because having to clean that up would make me vomit again.  I deleted it because I thought that it would be TMI ("Too Much Information" in Internet lingo).  I still think it was, but there you are. :-\

As for breakfast, I like food.  Actually, one of the best breakfasts that I've had is right here in Olympia.  There's a restaurant called The American Grill and they're open only until 3:00 p.m.  They serve mostly organic and locally grown products.  It's to die from!  My favorite is Eggs And...Biscuits and Gravy.  Scrambled eggs with a sausage gravy that isn't overpowering in its flavor.  They also have course ground sea salt on the table and they make their own ketchup/catsup.  MMMMM!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 09:44:07 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2004, 09:45:42 AM »

Oh, my gosh, I remember those Funny Face Drink mix characters! LOL! Didn't they have actually plastic drink cups as well or something...memory is hazy.

O, my gosh II!  Yep, I actually had one--Freckle Face Strawberry!  I remember that I had grand illusions of sending away for the entire set until my mom informed me otherwise.

I feel another eBay "Recapture-My-Youth" Treasure Hunt coming on...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2004, 09:48:22 AM »

Re ugly website - I don't know what George's post was that was deleted.  But I know if thinking caps are put on you will know exactly what URL to visit.

I think I figured it out (without a pencil and a pad, I might add.)  Ugly is being kind, I think.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2004, 09:50:18 AM »

Der Brucer...
Yes sung to the unborn child.. she was pissed because her rotten boyfriend left her and her unborn baby so she was "Drinking for Two".  I have no idea who wrote it, but it was a very funny song.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ben

« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2004, 10:01:23 AM »

RLP, me thinks it might be the place that is not to be mentioned. Perhaps not, but they certainly have changed things and it's pretty ugly. Takes ugly to a new level.

As a child in quaint and lovely Coon Rapids our two houses over neighbor worked for Pillsbury and he would often bring home new products. The neighborhood was an unpaid test market. We got to try all the Funny Face drinks before they were released to the public. I remember them all very well. Chinese Cherry became Choo Choo Cherry with a cherry wearing a railroad engineer's hat and I forget what became of Injun Orange

Panni

« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2004, 10:06:12 AM »

If nobody is going to actually post the name, then somebody please send me a PM about this "ugly" place before I burst.

Panni

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »

One of my tastiest breakfasts: A few years ago I was still living in Boulder and came to LA for an awards show. As I was nominated, Showtime put me up at the Four Seasons, one of my fave places to stay in LA. It was my birthday the morning after my arrival. The man I was living with at the time had arrived at the hotel a day earlier from somewhere he'd been traveling and had made secret arrangements. Sooo, around 8 am on my birthday, a wonderful room service breakfast arrived (one of my favorite things, as I mentioned earlier) - but not only was there a deevine breakfast - but an entire birthday cake - very rich dark chocolate with real whipped cream on the side. Chocolate cake for breakfast on your birthday is highly recommended.  

Jason

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2004, 10:24:52 AM »

I, too, luhs me some hash browns. I can't say, though, that I've ever had corn beef or roast beef hash. What kind of southern boy am I?

My dad makes the most amazing sausage gravy for his homemade biscuits...it's fantastic. Add that to the menu for this coming week. Y'all may think I'm kidding when I say that I've written out my menus for the next week at home, but I'm not.

Do any of you southerners have a good recipe for pimento cheese (or, for you northerners, "Pimento Cheese Spread")? A guy at work is looking for one. I'm sure my mom has one...I'll just have to search for it.

And George, when I get there, I'll post the recipe for that orange bundt cake, which also makes for a yummy breakfast treat.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:25:38 AM by Jason »

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2004, 10:27:16 AM »

Hmmm I cannot imagine eating pizza for breakfast.  But cake for breakfast sounds delicious!

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned pastries or donuts or danishes for breakfast.  Not that I eat these things for breakfast.  But I do love sweets!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2004, 10:29:08 AM »

What is corned beef hash?

Scrapple for us cowards.

(Scrapple -- After the ham, bacon, chops and other cuts of meat are taken from a butchered pig - what remains are fixings for scrapple - including -- but not limited to -- the meat scraped off the head. Scrapple may contain pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue - even pork brains.  Those faint of palate needn't venture any further.  It's a cholesterol meltdown!!!!)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 10:34:28 AM by RLP »

Panni

« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2004, 10:33:57 AM »

Hmmm I cannot imagine eating pizza for breakfast.

Cold pizza for breakfast is to die for!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2004, 10:38:47 AM »

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned pastries or donuts or danishes for breakfast.  Not that I eat these things for breakfast.  But I do love sweets!

If donuts and danishes are available, I'll save them for a second breakfast.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2004, 10:39:38 AM »

Well, I am looking for an excuse to take Woody back to NYC - he has not yet been to Zabar's.

der Brucer (Zabar's is the only place I know where you can buy a bit of Smithfield Ham - and a little bit goes a long way)
Oh Yes I Have!!!

You took me there, silly boy!  At your urging, we crossed through Central Park (in the daylight) to get there.  And yes, we bought Smithfield ham, and a few cheeses and other numnums.

I don't recall their having scrapple, though.  Probably not.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2004, 10:42:45 AM »

Power came back on ten minutes ago and now I must hie myself to the Oaks of Sherman.  The worst part of the outage was that I couldn't open the garage door (automatic) - I know there's supposed to be a way to switch to manual but I could not find it.  Happily, we're back up.  The excuse was that someone cut the line in the nabe (it affected quite a bit of the City of Studio near me).  I simply said to them, "You're a billion dollar company and you don't have a backup system for emergencies?"  They, as always, had no answer.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2004, 10:50:34 AM »

I mentioned this about a week or so ago, but tonight there is another one of those AFI Top 100 shows, this year selecting the top 100 movie songs.  I'm probably way off base here, but my picks for the top 10 are:

"Over the Rainbow"                   THE WIZARD OF OZ (surely the #1 song)
"Whistle While You Work"          SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS
"When You Wish Upon A Star"   PINOCCHIO
"As Time Goes By"                     CASABLANCA
"White Christmas"                     HOLIDAY INN
"Moon River"                              BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
"Chim Chim Cher-ee"                 MARY POPPINS
"Do Re Mi"                                  THE SOUND OF MUSIC
"Mrs. Robinson"                         THE GRADUATE
"The Way We Were"                 THE WAY WE WERE

The listing of the 400 songs that were on the ballot is at www.afi.com .  Some glaring omissions there.  No "Heigh-Ho" from Snow White, "Colonel Bogie's March" from Bridge on the River Kwai or "Lara's Theme" from Dr. Zhivago (sounds like an anti-Lean conspiracy.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Jason

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2004, 10:51:48 AM »

DR MBarnum: I'm not lying about this, we were just sorting through the mail bins that came in and lo and behold, there was a postcard advertising your friend's show! We'll see if I can maybe make it...I'll try to bring friends from MTI.

Anyone else here a fan of corn pudding? Mmmm...

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2004, 10:53:18 AM »

Cold pizza for breakfast is to die for!

I agree.  As is cold chinese food (with all due respect to Mama Rose and her brood).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2004, 10:53:35 AM »

Re ugly website - I don't know what George's post was that was deleted.  But I know if thinking caps are put on you will know exactly what URL to visit.
Oh, I quite agree, esteemed BK.  The only problem for me was that I was giggling and heaving at the same time, which led to a backflow into my nasal passages.  EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

:-X :-X :-X ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2004, 10:55:11 AM »

SWW and Der Brucer, I do hope you can go and see INSOMNIA and have a nice night out in NYC! If I could afford it I would definately be there too!

Not too long ago Charles sent me a recording of his score for a musical titled PABLO which I very much enjoyed. I don't believe the play has been produced yet, but I really enjoyed the songs to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up