Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: PLOT TWISTS  (Read 13347 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:PLOT TWISTS
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2004, 01:24:44 PM »

Briefly, in the 1950's, my mother dated Ira Levin.  I've always wondered whether she might have been the inspiration for A Kiss Before Dying.  On further thought, The Stepford Wives is a possibility, too.

Noel, I'm assuming your mother isn't named Rosemary?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2004, 01:24:46 PM »

Another film that had surprises (and that lots of people were VERY down on during its initial release) was MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. I really liked it, but I did guess the identity of the bad guy in that one.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2004, 01:25:14 PM »

So was I, DR D-t-M. I thought it was wonderful and for me the first indication that there was something else to Nicole Kidman except a multimillionaire superstar husband and an interesting face.

The one of best things about it was the misdirection of the early rape/murders. (I won't say any more about it.) It seems like it's going to be a classy slasher film and it's SO different from that.

I'll tell you how far off the mark I was--I thought it was going to be a courtroom drama.  An Absense of Malice with the malice.

Was Kidman married to Cruise at the time?  Seems like it was ages ago...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 01:26:25 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2004, 01:32:01 PM »

Dobbin is the Ashley Wilkes of Vanity Fair.  Not having read the book, I quite enjoyed the movie though I felt a little let down at the end. I think it's worth seeing.

DR Charles Pogue, there are a couple pf excellent BBC adaptations on video, and one on DVD from A&E.  I remember one with Susan Hampshire from the early 70s, about 5 or 6 episodes on MASTERPIECE THEATRE, that was rather faithful to the book.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2004, 01:33:13 PM »

I found Amelia a simpering, delusional fool.

She's really dull after Becky, but she's Thackeray's picture of the ideal Victorian woman!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2004, 01:37:14 PM »

I had forgotten to mention THE OTHER this morning as a great plot twist, but the end of Tryon's novel HARVEST HOME is quite a surprise as well.  I suppose the end to THE BAD SEED, when it first came out as a novel, was a real surprise as well.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2004, 01:40:38 PM »

Yes, she was definitely married to Cruise at the time. They were pretty much together from the time of DAYS OF THUNDER through the release of THE OTHERS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: September 28, 2004, 01:55:01 PM »

DRs Jose and Jane I want to hurt you both!

Those chocolates sound so good though. :)

;D If you email me in the winter I will send you some.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: September 28, 2004, 01:57:24 PM »

Yes, she was definitely married to Cruise at the time. They were pretty much together from the time of DAYS OF THUNDER through the release of THE OTHERS.

Or as close as their publicists could get them!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #99 on: September 28, 2004, 01:59:07 PM »

Hmm...

So far, all I've had to eat today has been a Starbucks Coffee Frappacino with a shot of Valencia (I love that kick of orange), and a few pieces of See's Chocolates...

Is there anything wrong with that?

Seriously, is there anything wrong with that? ;)

:P

Strangely, enough, however, I haven't really been hungry today, so... ???

I'm just sitting hear waiting for UPS to come.  They tried to deliver the packages yesterday I sent from L.A. last week, but they didn't come until after my roommate had left for work.  So, they're supposed to come again today sometime after 5:00.  Once they're here, I'll probably head out to dinner someplace.  -Or I could just continue to live off chocolate for the rest of the day...

-Is there anything wrong with that?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2004, 01:59:23 PM »

Thackery's ideal of Vicotrian womanhood?  Mooncalfing over a man who you can tell is a worthless, weak prat in the first five minutes of the film?  Okay...

Jane

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2004, 02:00:29 PM »

Another film that had surprises (and that lots of people were VERY down on during its initial release) was MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. I really liked it, but I did guess the identity of the bad guy in that one.

Count me as one who was down on it.  To someone like myself who watched the TV show, that ending was IMPOSSIBLE.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2004, 02:01:57 PM »

Or you could just go to:

http://www.sees.com

And select your own assortment, and have them ship it to you in their "Warm Weather Packaging" for a nominal fee.  They use a styrofoam "cooler" and an ice/cool pack to "protect" the chocolates.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2004, 02:09:25 PM »

Jose, I'm sure a few exposed solos won't be daunting after you've just played ninety minutes a night of exposed solos.

Jennifer

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2004, 02:11:05 PM »

Here is something I just found out.  You are no longer allowed to ship candy/cookies between the US and Canada.  Not sure if they are strict both ways.  But from Canada to the US is now a no-no.

Although apparently there is a # you can call to get permission.

I suspect as long as you wrap it well and don't write that it is candy that you'd be fine.  

I found this out when I was at the post office last month and a mother was trying to send home-made cookies to her daughter.  The postal person said that it had recently become not allowed.  She said the woman could take her chances.  Personally I just would have sent them without marking down that there were cookies (there were about 5 other things in the box).

But the postal worker had scared her so much that she decided to go home and repackage the box.

Who knew?

Jane

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2004, 02:11:14 PM »

It has been a long time since I read the book but I recall she was sweet, loyal, caring, kind, and meek.  Today there are still women like that who fall into the same trap with a man not worthy of them.  Yes, she took the whole thing a bit too far and I think Thackery was making a point about that.  One I personally took to heart when I read the book.  If the movie didn’t give her character more strength I don’t think Becky’s should have been whitewashed-that was one nasty gal.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2004, 02:13:18 PM »

Jose, I'm sure a few exposed solos won't be daunting after you've just played ninety minutes a night of exposed solos.

;)

So, have any "official" reviews come out yet for The Ten Commandments: The Spectacle Musical?

And was the music director or someone like that really at What If? last week?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2004, 02:20:08 PM »

...Yes, it was the Butterscotch Square... Hmm... That was sweet... very brown-sugary...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2004, 02:22:54 PM »

OH!  And the UPS man has come and gone, and my boxes are now sitting on the living room floor.  One of them had a "rip" in the side, but nothing had fallen out and the contents were still intact and dry - it was mainly books and music.  No harm done.

I guess it's time for more to decide what do to do for dinner... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »

I understand fruit and plants, but not food-very odd.  I bet See’s could still ship them even if I can’t.

The first time we sent Craig food to Romania we were concerned.  We only shipped wrapped and canned goods-baked would be stale by the time they arrived so it isn’t an issue.  He has to open his packages in front of customs at the post office.  Last time he gave the guy a couple of rolls of life savers.  

I called the post office.  Canada seems to have a lot of restrictions but cookies didn’t show up-perishables non infectious biological  ??? did but nothing about cookies. ;D

Jose I just this minute received my airline tickets from the UPS man. :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2004, 02:36:04 PM »

Or you could just go to:

http://www.sees.com

And select your own assortment, and have them ship it to you in their "Warm Weather Packaging" for a nominal fee.  They use a styrofoam "cooler" and an ice/cool pack to "protect" the chocolates.

I will vouch for the security and frigidity of See's packaging for shipping.

Since moving to California,  the Dear Mother of DR Jay and myself would ship a box to me as part of my birthday present, and one to DP John for his September Birthday.  (And honestly did send us "customized" presents, knowing that he loves the "Nuts & Chews/Milk Chocolate collections" and I prize the toffee-ettes and anything dark chocolate.)

On occasion, I think the chocolates not only arrived  before she hung up the phone after placing the order, but sometimes even arrived with those coolant gel-packs still partially frozen!.

She told me last year that she would be discontinuing this practice, and had a good reason, but can't recall what it is right now.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2004, 02:46:46 PM »

Ah yes DtM - THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962) - I remember shaking my head in shock the first time that Mrs. Iselin said:  "Why don't you pass the time by playing a game of solitaire?"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2004, 02:51:44 PM »

It has been a long time since I read the book but I recall she was sweet, loyal, caring, kind, and meek.  Today there are still women like that who fall into the same trap with a man not worthy of them.  Yes, she took the whole thing a bit too far and I think Thackery was making a point about that.  One I personally took to heart when I read the book.  If the movie didn’t give her character more strength I don’t think Becky’s should have been whitewashed-that was one nasty gal.

DR Jane, Melanie Wilks is very much like Amelia, but I adored her when I first read GWTW.  I must have a thing for Victorian womanhood.  Amelia's in that line of Dickens heroines who look great and are totally vapid yet David Copperfield and Nicholas Nickleby worship and desire them.  That first twit "child bride" that Copperfield marries (who then dies) makes Amelia look like Scarlett O'Hara!   Even in DRACULA, that paragon of virtue Mina Harker is pretty bland, even after her attack by Dracula,  compared to the lusty vampire Lucy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »

I just got in and caught up on the posts. LUCKILY I actually have an errand today at the Mall where See's is located! Only a few more hours and then I go...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2004, 02:57:32 PM »

If you didn't know - or are curious - what MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE director John Frankenheimer was doing at the Ambassador Hotel the night that Robert Kennedy was killed - check out this link.   8)

http://books.guardian.co.uk/extracts/story/0,6761,754309,00.html
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2004, 02:58:22 PM »

I just looked up VANITY FAIR in the DVD/Video section of eBay.  The A&E BBC miniseries is available, and I didn't know the Reuben Mamoulian-Miriam Hopkins BECKY SHARP was on DVD.  Miriam would be a good, tough Becky.  Has anyone seen it?

Panni

« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2004, 03:08:32 PM »

Plot twist give me a headache. Plots shouldn't twist. They should be nice and straight. That being said, I agree with Jrand about MANCHURIAN.
SLEUTH is fun.
I like to read O'Henry's stories for the lovely plot twists.
I think THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD has been mentioned as one of the all time great plot twists.
There are a number of wonderful movie plot twists which we now take for granted because we know them so well... PSYCHO, of course; PLANET OF THE APES; CITIZEN KANE; and CHINATOWN, natch.
Back to books - KRITZER TIME has, if not a plot twist, then certainly a highly unexpected turn of events... (which I suppose defines a plot twist).

Panni

« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2004, 03:10:12 PM »

Have I mentioned, DR Elmore, that it's great to have you back?

Panni

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2004, 03:11:53 PM »

Okay, I have to eat something -- but first I have news -- I purchased a digital camera today. I want to get used to it before I take off for foreign shores. As soon as I've figured it out, I'll post some pics as an experiment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2004, 03:18:58 PM »

On the subject of US-Canada food shipments.

A few years ago I decided to order a cheesecake from a deservedly celebrated bakery in New York. I spoke to Maury and asked him about costs, etc. He said the cake was about $25, and there would be an additional charge for the candy. I told him I didn't want candy, but he interruped and said that that was his "deception." He couldn't send dairy products to Canada, so he topped the package with candies.

The deception worked and the cake arrived safely. (Maury sent it frozen - it arrived at the perfect temperature.) It was outstanding. And the candies were pretty good, too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up