Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: QUICK THURSDAY  (Read 20650 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:QUICK THURSDAY
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004, 07:42:14 AM »

And one for Mahler, eh? (a Canuck Jose reference)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2004, 07:45:55 AM »

Well, since I'm up, I think I'm gonna head out for a hot breakfast...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2004, 07:48:59 AM »

And one for Mahler, eh? (a Canuck Jose reference)

Hmm... Maybe that should be, "And one for Jean Coulthard!  Eh?"

*That's the only Canadian composer that comes to mind right now.  -Wonderful piano sonata.

-And speaking of Canucks, any thought on the plays of Brad Fraser and Nick Darke?  -Nick Darke's play, "The Dead Monkey" has to be one of the most disturbing - yet rvieting - plays I've ever seen.  -And, of course, I don't think there's been a Fraser play - "Search for Human Remains...", "Super Man" - that hasn't stirred up some controversy.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2004, 07:50:46 AM »

Well, since I'm up, I think I'm gonna head out for a hot breakfast...

Laters...

...And I think I'm gonna wrap my laptop in plastic bags before I head out...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2004, 07:52:27 AM »

Never seen any footage of Sinatra from CAROUSEL, only stills. I think Gordon MacRae makes a perfect Billy (his soundtrack recording is by far my favorite rendition of this classic work), and am SO grateful SInatra's hissy fit resulted in his leaving the production.

And ironically, they didn't end up filming CAROUSEL twice. A method was devised making the two filmings unnecessary, so he left it for nothing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2004, 07:56:44 AM »

In reading the VARIETY review of SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM, I became aware that the tunesack for the show has been fiddled with. The review (which was a rave) mentioned that Davis Gaines had to pull out all the stops in his climactic "Being Alive" to be able to hold his own with "Losing My Mind" and "I'm Still Here" which preceded it. But in the many  productions of this show I've seen (and on the cast album), "Being Alive" isn't the last song in the show. The male's big ballad third from the end is "Could I Leave You?" The review also mentioned Gaines' handling of "Marry Me a Little" which has never been in any production of this show I've ever seen.

The review didn't mention any other songs that jumped out at me as being out of place, but I'd love to see a rundown of the entire song program for this edition of the show.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2004, 07:57:10 AM »

Congrats to all for hitting the 70K milestone.

Congrats to DR Panni on what sounds like a lovely new home.

Continued job/health vices to those who need them.  And you know who you are.

I have never been a great big fan of a slab of steak on my plate.  On occasion, I do like some sliced marinated London Broil (rare, natch).  I also like to eat the flanken (short ribs) after they have come out of a pot of chicken soup.  (Yes, chicken soup should be made with some sort of meat in it as well.  I understand that my grandmother used a chuck steak, but I much prefer flanken, which my mother used.)

And a juicy burger with ketchup, mayo, lettuce, tomato, onions (raw or carmelized), and on occasion a slice of turkey or veggie bacon, just for the smokiness.

And to hark back to a topic from last week, a well-made Beef Wellington.

I believe that the TOD referred specifically to beef dishes, so I will skip my other favorite fleishig dishes.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 07:59:19 AM by Stuart »

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2004, 08:01:46 AM »

For years, TCM showed the flat version of SEVEN BRIDES instead of the scope version when they ran the movie. I wrote them once about it (at the time, I didn't know the flat version existed; I thought they were using some kind of modified pan and scan version), and I was told they were using the version of the film furnished to them by the distributor. The next time it was on, however, it was the scope version. I always thought that flat version was pale in color and very lifeless looking.

I'm thinking there might be an alternate BRIGADOON, too, because I've seen it shown on Turner in a flat print, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2004, 08:02:56 AM »

I'm a huge meat eater and like it all except liver. Not much of a beef or chicken liver eater.

But give me fried chicken, a juicy steak (medium rare), pork ribs, or just about anything else, and I can make a meal just on meat.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2004, 08:07:53 AM »

In reading the VARIETY review of SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM, I became aware that the tunesack for the show has been fiddled with. The review (which was a rave) mentioned that Davis Gaines had to pull out all the stops in his climactic "Being Alive" to be able to hold his own with "Losing My Mind" and "I'm Still Here" which preceded it. But in the many  productions of this show I've seen (and on the cast album), "Being Alive" isn't the last song in the show. The male's big ballad third from the end is "Could I Leave You?" The review also mentioned Gaines' handling of "Marry Me a Little" which has never been in any production of this show I've ever seen.

The review didn't mention any other songs that jumped out at me as being out of place, but I'd love to see a rundown of the entire song program for this edition of the show.

SBSBS is one of the shows that gets fiddled with on a regular basis - and from what I can tell, MTI usually turns a blind away from such changes.

In the current rental materials, "Being Alive" is not included, but "Marry Me A Little" is in the appendix.  SBSBS changed throughout it's London and Broadway run according the performers that went through it, so I guess that has set the precedent.

I've always wondered if anyone still does the "Conversation Piece" crazy-medley that is in the rental materials - and was, at least according to some sources, in the original Broadway production - but that would change too as the run went along.

*I remember asking "what the deal" was with the "Conversation Piece" once, and was told that it was meant as sort of a joke, and should be performed as if the ensemble was drunk - which would explain the weird -and non-existent transitions from song to song, as well, as some of high(!) harmony parts for the women - High Cs and Ds!?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2004, 08:09:01 AM »

Another favorite meat dish: A chopped liver sandwich.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2004, 08:23:41 AM »

When I MD'd  SBSBS in 2002, the materials sent to us from MTI did NOT include "Being Alive", instead, "Marry Me A Little" was in its place within the score.  Personally, I love "Marry Me A Little" and think "Being Alive" is a bit overdone.  Anyhow, the contract also came with rules about replacing and adding songs to the revue.  Funny how little places like a church try and stay withen the rules and one wonders it the people at Passadena Playhouse or wherever, even asked to add the song.  Hmmm.....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 08:26:03 AM by Matthew »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2004, 08:25:01 AM »

DR Jose, my cast LOVED the Conversation Piece, and when you break it down and stage it like a story, it's very funny!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2004, 08:31:54 AM »

When I MD'd  SBSBS in 2002, the materials sent to us from MTI did NOT include "Being Alive", instead, "Marry Me A Little" was in its place within the score.  Personally, I love "Marry Me A Little" and think "Being Alive" is a bit overdone.  Anyhow, the contract also came with rules about replacing and adding songs to the revue.  Funny how little places like a church try and stay withen the rules and one wonders it the people at Passadena Playhouse or wherever, even asked to add the song.  Hmmm.....

When I did the show in 1994 - WOW!?!? has it really been ten years ago?!?! - We actually wrote to MTI and Mr. Sondheim about replacing songs and putting in new ones.  -And I even asked Mr. Sondheim if he knew whom I could contact to get some of the two-piano arrangements for some of the songs on the recording but not in the materials... Mr. Sondheim wrote us back with the usual "warning" about the MTI contract.  However, we never heard back from MTI... So... We had quite a few alterations, insertions, deletions, etc.. And even after sending the program up to MTI - which they used to require for major houses - the theatre never received any "backlash" as it were.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2004, 08:35:06 AM »

DR Jose, my cast LOVED the Conversation Piece, and when you break it down and stage it like a story, it's very funny!

The biggest problem with the Conversation Piece came when the initial casting breakdown went out.  One of the stage management assistants who happened to be other pianist for the show, was asked to go through the score to check the vocal ranges for each of the singers so they could list the ranges in the casting breakdowns and audition notices.  Well, due to some of the pyrotechics in the Conversation Piece, each of the women were required to have a three-octave range, with at least a high B-Flat!?!?!?  Boy, did the casting agents have some questions for us!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2004, 08:39:20 AM »

When a professional company here in Charlotte did the show in the 1990s, they replaced "Pretty Lady" with "SOmething in a Tree," and immediately were threatened with a rights violation. That song was in opening night and never heard of again.

Thanks for the info, DR Jose.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2004, 08:41:55 AM »

DR Jane, I tried to post this yesterday, but my computer was acting up.  Good vibes for your niece(s). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`.   !9 yrs old is way too young.

So I'm assuming this is a different niece than the ones you just visited in NYC?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2004, 08:43:09 AM »

OK... Well, I obviously did not go to breakfast, so I think I'm gonna go and get ready and head out for brunch/lunch and then to rehearsal.   -And I think I will be passing on "class" today - as I'm sure other people will be too due to the fire alarm incident earlier.

Hmmm.. Maybe I'll finally go check out the Kolache Factory.  OH!  and the have a website too!

http://www.kolachefactory.com
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2004, 08:44:57 AM »

Re: DR Dan The Man's comments from yesterday.

If I buy Halloween candy in advance I must either hide it or wrap it very tightly in bags so I am not tempted to open it.  So far it's worked.

But now that you've reminded me, I have a 100 mini delicious chocolate bars somewhere around. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2004, 08:45:22 AM »

When a professional company here in Charlotte did the show in the 1990s, they replaced "Pretty Lady" with "SOmething in a Tree," and immediately were threatened with a rights violation. That song was in opening night and never heard of again.

Thanks for the info, DR Jose.

Hmmm... That would be very interesting, "SomeTHING in a Tree", rather than "Someone in a Tree"...

Any parody lyrics, anyone?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2004, 08:47:22 AM »

Wow last night's LOST was good.  Especially the development with the Colonel.  Did not see that one coming at all.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2004, 08:49:08 AM »

Great news DR Panni about the new house.  When can we see a pic?

And DR Danise good vibes to you. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2004, 08:55:42 AM »

Re: the TOD.

Since I'm on the atkins 14 day plan, MEAT IS MY LIFE right now. :)

For pork, I love babyback ribs.

For chicken I love General Taos.

For beef, I love a good rib steak, medium well.

And btw, I still have not tried real fried chicken!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2004, 08:57:12 AM »

I always check out the garbage room when I make a deposit. Today the recycling box included a wrapper from an Italian confectioner. (I'm sure I can identify the neighbor it belonged to.) My inquiring mind took me to the website (given on the wrapper) and this struffoli:

If you think that one looks good, try some of the other products (click the particular item in the photo column).

Do you think I should get to know these neighbors better?

http://www.santomiele.it/prodotti.htm
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 08:58:06 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2004, 09:00:15 AM »

I need to find a good recipe for pork roast, which I'm making tonight.

I am feeling a bit under the weather.  Must be the change in temps.

BK, your horror stories with your book are making me upset.  How can it be that people who are supposed to be competent keep making so many errors?

Btw, went back to my favorite jewelry counter and was told I could have a BOX OR A LITTLE BAGGIE, by my very friendly clerk (a different one of course).  Only problem was she forget to de-magnetize my stuff, so I set off the alarms as I was leaving.

I am a total sucker for GUESS jewelry.  And for some reason the $28 stuff was discounted for $5 and $3.50. Yeah!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2004, 09:03:29 AM »

I need to find a good recipe for pork roast, which I'm making tonight.

Is this the same Jennifer who was salivating over griebens?

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2004, 09:03:30 AM »

DR DIT what exactly is that, it looks good?

And BK, one more comment about the book.  It's bad enough that these "people" do their jobs incorrectly.  But don't they at least look over what they are going to show you before they do it?

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2004, 09:09:22 AM »

Is this the same Jennifer who was salivating over griebens?

Yes, but I don't know how to make them! :(

But I'm pretty sure they don't have pork in them!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2004, 09:25:53 AM »

My inquiring mind took me to the website (given on the wrapper) and this struffoli:

Do you think I should get to know these neighbors better?

My, my, struffoli looks an awful lot like an Italian taiglach!

Yes, get to know them better.

Yes, but I don't know how to make them! :(

But I'm pretty sure they don't have pork in them!

You are quite correct, DR Jennifer, gribbenes do NOT have pork in them!

But they are actually quite simple, but time consuming to make:

Melt X number of pounds of un-rendered chicken fat.
Chop X number of pounds of onions, coarsely.
Put onions in melted, clear fat.
Deep fry until the onions are crisp, or black, whichever comes first.

The "true" gribbenes are, of course, the deep fried bits of chicken skin that are invariably intermingled with the chicken fat.  But the onions are just as delicious, and what I always think of as gribbenes.

At the end of the day, you end up with two treats, gribbenes AND schmaltz, which is the now onion-flavored, rendered chicken fat.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 09:27:13 AM by Stuart »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2004, 09:28:03 AM »

Where else, I ask you.....Where else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up