Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN  (Read 21013 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2004, 11:19:26 AM »

Add to the list of (shallow) mags I miss... TV Guide when it actually used to be a magazine with actual articles and terrific covers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2004, 11:43:16 AM »

Just had a load of trouble loading the site - but it seems to have been a momentary hiccup.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2004, 11:44:11 AM »

Welcome nine GUESTS.  We're talkin' about magazines.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2004, 11:48:35 AM »

I'm a "Show Music" fan also.  I used to get the monthly "Playbill," but I didn't do anything with them and now there is the online version, so that’s one magazine that I let go of.  No one has mentioned "The Sondheim Review."  That's another that I love, but my subscription lapsed and I haven't notified them (yet) to renew and order any back issues that I've missed.  Otherwise, I have every issue since the beginning.

AND:

[shadow=red,down]WELCOME BACK, KERRY!![/shadow]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2004, 11:51:37 AM »

...; and a long segment where Sondheim, Weidman and Frank Rich discuss "Someone In A Tree" followed by the four original cast members who sang this performing it around the piano (played by SS) in Sondheim's apartment.  I kept waiting for his neighbor Miss Hepburn to drop by.

...and complain about the noise!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2004, 12:01:51 PM »

Or beat on his window with her broom!  LOL

I think I said before - the past few weeks, the TV GUIDE racks have been full - when before there had been many copies sold....  We are not the only readers who feel that way.  I began buying TV GUIDE when it was 15 cents an issue and stuck with until a couple of months ago......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2004, 12:16:21 PM »

Dear Friend BK, well, now I know how Arthur's involved in the production!  I didn't know from your excerpt if he were cast or staff, but Richard told me too much.  However, it was a very good review, and I can't wait to read the book.  Somewhere I have the murder mystery Carlton Carpenter based on the IRENE revival, WHO DROPPED PETER PAN?, based on the Papermill Playhouse production of the musical, and I once had a mystery based on a Harold Prince show out of town but I've forgotten its title.  I've also got two non-mystery theatre roman a clefs, Garson Kanin's SMASH based on the FUNNY GIRL production and James Fritzhand's STARRING, which memory tells me was based on FOLLIES.

DRRLP, several people made comments on SHOWBOAT's importance, but some simplistic comments like "until OKLAHOMA! the book was a loose affair," are bogus.  The Princess Theatre shows by Jerome Kern - OH, BOY!, OH, LADY! LADY! and others with Bolton and Wodehouse - are very well integrated in terms of book and lyrics, and Rodgers & Hart's DEAREST ENEMY is to me the best of the 1920s operettas before SHOW BOAT.  Gilbert and Sullivan were models for several musical theatre writers and their integration of book and lyrics cannot be the exception to the rule that the insistence that early musicals cared nothing about rules of drama.  The simplification of a lot of material in the PBS broadcast didn't help matters either, like Broadway didn't emerge until the 1904 subway.  Well, BABES IN TOYLAND, actually not a badly integrated show but a show with real libretto problems, opened at Columbus Circle in 1903 at the long-gone Majestic Theatre, and  Broadway had already seen such hits as Herbert's THE FORTUNE TELLER, de Koven's ROBIN HOOD, and THE WIZARD OF OZ starring Montgomery and Stone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2004, 12:25:05 PM »

If the excerpt had gone on one more line, you would have known that Arthur was the librettist.  I'm thrilled with the review.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2004, 12:25:33 PM »

Matt H, the LOST article warns you when there is a spoiler,

Dan (the Man) I too am thrilled Boston won.  I would have watched the game is Keith was willing.  His suggestion I tape it and watch it later just didn’t work for me.  As I expected, it was an exciting game.  I sure wish I had seen it.

DRLaura I wasn’t sure if I should cry or laugh at your mailing story-decided to laugh. ;D

I’m waiting for the vet tech, who is late, to watch me give Bogie his fluids.  In the meantime I think he just scooted under the bed.  I don’t know how cats always know when they should hide.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2004, 12:27:57 PM »

I'm thrilled with the review.

As well you should be.  It's a terrific review, and I look forward to reading the entire book!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2004, 12:28:04 PM »

I'm thinkin' about food.  Might be a bit too early to eat, but I'm thinkin' about it anyway.  Finally wrote a couple of pages -I've been just making notes yesterday and the day before, and then I had trouble getting motivated until I thought about the next payment - then I got motivated fast.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2004, 12:31:53 PM »

"Farscape" fans:  Are there any more out there????

Did you see the four-hour "Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" last weekend?

If not, it's going to be re-aired, in its entirety, on Sunday.

I loved the show, but I hated to see one of the main characters die.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2004, 12:35:37 PM »

The mention of Gower Champion in Rudy Richard Valley's review--coupled with a Gower joke posted here some days ago has me wondering exactly what the man was like to work with.

This is because a friend of mine who had worked with both Gower (in Birdie) and Robbins (in Fiddler--original and revival) contrasted their styles thusly:

Gower, he said, has everbody loving him, and you want to do your best to make him happy.

Jerry, on the other hand, has everyone hating him, and eventually the cast bands together to do their best just to show him!

But from what I read here, Gower has a bit of a reputation as an Evil Genius.
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2004, 12:36:54 PM »

DiT-great Scottish joke.

Kerry-it is nice to have you back.

Matt H, guess I didn’t need to tell you there was a spoiler.  At least it was only for the episode we watched last night.

Happy Birthday to Annette tomorrow.

Bruce I really dislike when reviews give me too much information.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2004, 12:37:01 PM »

Great review by Richard Valley....but unless there are other much-loathed, sexually sadistic actors in the show's cast, I think the not-naming of the character issue has been rendered moot.

:D

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:38:03 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2004, 12:43:56 PM »

Congrats on the review, BK!  I'm glad it's the unrevealing version--I would rather not know who is knocked off in Writer's Block until I begin to actually read it.  Though I have to wonder if there isn't an actual clew in that review...
(Yes, I had originally typed excerpt--I meant to say review.)

Hmmm...I, too, have only one issue of Castle of Frankenstein stashed away somewhere.  I sense a pattern here...

I read once that the whole entire United States is sinking at a rate of one eighth of an inch a year.  This is due to all of the bundles of National Geographics that people have stowed in their basements.

During the late 80s or so, there was a briefly published mag called The Movies or At The Movies.  The first issue featured Lily Tomlin and her "Confessions of an Usherette".  I was hooked on its rather persnickery attitude towards Hollywood and immediately subscribed.  Alas, it only lasted about six issues, the remainder of my susbscription turned over to the more sedate Premier magazine.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:54:52 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2004, 12:44:29 PM »

Hopefully there is only one character to fit the description.

MR BK have you heard of the MURDER BY THE SEA Bookstore?  It is in Delray Beach, Florida.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 12:45:49 PM by JRand54 »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:45 PM »

BK - what a teaser that review is!!!  I'm sure all of us will be waiting with baited breath to read this one!!!  Excellent!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2004, 12:45:50 PM »

Dear Friend BK, well, now I know how Arthur's involved in the production!  I didn't know from your excerpt if he were cast or staff, but Richard told me too much.  However, it was a very good review, and I can't wait to read the book.  Somewhere I have the murder mystery Carlton Carpenter based on the IRENE revival, WHO DROPPED PETER PAN?, based on the Papermill Playhouse production of the musical, and I once had a mystery based on a Harold Prince show out of town but I've forgotten its title.  I've also got two non-mystery theatre roman a clefs, Garson Kanin's SMASH based on the FUNNY GIRL production and James Fritzhand's STARRING, which memory tells me was based on FOLLIES.

Was Kander & Ebb's Curtains based on any one particualr show?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2004, 12:55:53 PM »

Oh yes, DR RLP.  We watched the first half of Farscape:  The Peacekeeper Wars on Sunday, both parts on Monday, the conclusion twice on Monday...

Quite up to their usual snuff, I must say, with all the whacky humor, the wonderful character interaction, the superb plotting, and, of course, the obligatory vomit jokes of the series.

Not to spoil, but the character who "died"--we didn't really see him die, you know.  And I cannot imagine that actor having decided he wouldn't do any more sequels.  Not like Virginia Hey, who left because the blue make-up made her skin break out--what we sf fans call "doing a Denise Crosby".

My main questions about the mini-series were:

1.  Why did the baby have to be born under water?

2.  Did he just cut a hole in her pants to deliver it?

3.  Did she really spend the next half-hour fighting it out with the villains in those same pants?

4.  Now that they have clearly explained why humans and Sebatians can interbreed--how about Sebatians and Loxons?  That beggars credulity.

Now, for those of you who are not Farscape fans--what the frell are you waiting for?

On almost the same subject:

DR Noel:  One of your main objections to sf and fantasy appears to be the set-up of the situation and the "rules".  Well, that problem really occurs in all literature.  It's called exposition.  It can be handled well, or it can be handled clumsily.  e.g. "As you well know, your second cousin, the hog-farm millionaire hasn't spoken to his sister since she married a transexual pilot and moved to Brazil."

In sf, some of this exposition is referred to as "techno-babble", a term that has escaped fandom and found its way into the scripts themselves on occasion.  But in the long run, it's no different from "you need fairy dust (pixie dust to the prudish) to fly."
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2004, 01:08:09 PM »

SHOW BOAT was definitely not the first book musical. I think it's widely considered the first masterpiece of the musical genre, but it was certainly not the first book musical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2004, 01:10:54 PM »

It is beginning to storm here. Only in Arizona can you have a dust storm and a rain storm at the same time.

Re "I am dead:" I laughed when I wrote it.

TOD: I cancelled all my magazine subscriptions years ago. They added too much clutter. My husband receives magazines about flying, which are taking up too much space, in my opinion.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2004, 01:11:27 PM »

Glad Richard Valley gave you a rave, bk, but I skipped most of the review because, frankly, it was STILL telling me more than I wanted to know without reading for myself. Previous poster was right, however, Valley's enthusiasm does make one want to read the book even more.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2004, 01:12:10 PM »

Oh, shoot! I forgot that I also subscribe to THE SONDHEIM REVIEW and have from the beginning.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2004, 01:16:27 PM »

When I was little, I thought the name of the song reference in the title was:

My body lies over the ocean,
My body lies over the sea....

And of course:

If a body meet a body comin' thru the rye!

Both of those songs scared me!!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2004, 01:21:14 PM »

Oh and yes, me laddies and lassies, upon the wee topic of the day  (Captain, these engines canna stand the strain!) --  actually when we sang that song in grade school, I thought it was "My Body Lies over the Ocean" and had this image of a huge corpse floating in the air above the sea...

But the TOD...

Childrens' Digest--I would wait in eager anticipation for each new issue, read it twice, and memorize all the jokes.

Scientific American  I subscribed throughout high school and college.

Playboy, when I was in grad school, when it was one of the most intelligent magazines for reading--Lord knows I didn't buy it for the pictures--I mean, who else was publishing Singer and Nabokov at your local news stand?

For several years I subscribed to a whole slew of Esperanto magazines:  Esperanto, Heroldo de Esperanto, Norda Prismo, Gazeto, Scienco kaj Tekniko, El Popola Chinio, Literatura Foiro, Fonto--and I was published in the last two.  Monato was a monthly news magazine that had the advantage of having articles written by people in the countries involved.  So, for example, they published stories about the Faulkland Islands crisis by writers in both England and Argentina.

But alas, I have let most of those subscriptions lapse.

Nowadays, I subscribe to The Advocate to get my gay news.  But I am increasingly put off by their concentration on the youngest generation.  I seldom have interest in what they think is the relevant music scene, for example.  And their shameless pandering reached its height last year, when the Supreme Court handed down its landmark sodomy decision, but their cover story involved two semi-naked reality show contenders.

We also subscribe to Smithsonian, and Joe devours his monthly European Car.  Somewhere in a box I have several years worth of Fantasy and Science Fiction.  I think I stopped subscribing when I realized I was reading Asimov's and Baird Searles' articles but not the fiction.

News magazines?  I read all I want in doctors' and lawyers' waiting rooms, where I've spent all too much time since Joe's illness began.

And oh,

Good health vibes to DnotR Cal Bolder!
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2004, 01:22:50 PM »

Oh, shoot! I forgot that I also subscribe to THE SONDHEIM REVIEW and have from the beginning.

Oh yes, me too.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2004, 01:23:55 PM »

When I was little, I thought the name of the song reference in the title was:

My body lies over the ocean,
My body lies over the sea....

So I was not alone.  Of course, no one is alone.  Oh, a S...
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2004, 01:29:21 PM »

I can't remember the source, but I am hearing

"My body loves calamine lotion..."

in my head.  A parody from where?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2004, 01:34:06 PM »

DAMN YANKEES on DVD came in the mail today, but it's a full night of TV watching, my first night off after a long spell, and I'm looking forward to watching TV in high definition.

If nothing happens and I get to see CSI and WITHOUT A TRACE tonight, it'll be the first episodes of this new season that I've been able to watch. I am SO looking forward to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up