Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA  (Read 25492 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:EASE ON DOWN LA STRADA
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2003, 12:13:52 PM »

One of the worst parts of the Christmas season getting earlier and earlier each year is the loss of much of Thanksgiving.  We wanted to get some Thanksgiving decorations for the windows for between the time we took down the Halloween stuff and put up the Christmas things and discovered that the stores had almost nothing,,, although the Christmas decorations were on sale before Halloween.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2003, 12:19:12 PM »

You're reference to ho-ho-hos MBarnum reminded me of letter writing to Santa.

I don't know how it works in the US, but here Canada Post encourages children to write letters to Santa which they will "send along" to the big man at the North Pole free of charge.  I remember writing these letters off every year to:

Santa Claus
c/o Canada Post,
North Pole, North West Territories
H0H 0H0  

If you sent the letter off in time, you'd get a message (a form letter but I didn't know at the time) from Claus himself.

I was always very dissapointed because no matter if I wrote my letter in English, I would always get back a message in French (looking back the letters were probably dealt with by the individual provinces and this being Quebec letters were sent en français).

So, no matter how hard anyone tried to convince me, I was POSITIVE that "Santa" was actually a francophone.  Didn't I know better than all my fellow children when we went to see le Père Noel at Cavendish Mall in a largely anglo area and the person playing him was ENGLISH!  The outrage!  :)    
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2003, 12:26:53 PM »

A welcome party for Jrand:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 12:37:32 PM by Tom from OZ »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2003, 12:54:47 PM »

Oh my, it appears we have a lull happening here, folks.  Best not let it last, or we'll surely get quite the bitchslapping when BK returns from lunch.

On another note (Db), the snow has arrived in Central Washington.  Oh yes, the white stuff is a'falling out my window.  I have no problem with snow, but am sadly aware that it will all too quickly become a mess of slush.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2003, 01:07:25 PM »

But right now Canuckistan is making me roll on the floor.

Who is "Canuckistan"?  Your personal Rolfer?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 01:08:11 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2003, 01:07:49 PM »

My breakfast finished and there is no sign of snow here. A white Christmas in OZ - not unless we the earth shifts its axis I guess.  Not only no sign of snow but no sign of a posting frenzy either.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2003, 01:08:13 PM »

Oh my, it appears we have a lull happening here, folks.  Best not let it last, or we'll surely get quite the bitchslapping when BK returns from lunch.

On another note (Db), the snow has arrived in Central Washington.  Oh yes, the white stuff is a'falling out my window.  I have no problem with snow, but am sadly aware that it will all too quickly become a mess of slush.

Jed -- If the snow is falling out of your window, you might be responsible for the snow falling all over Washington!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2003, 01:15:06 PM »

Jed -- If the snow is falling out of your window, you might be responsible for the snow falling all over Washington!

Damn!  You figured me out!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2003, 01:17:41 PM »

Aughghghghghghgh!

Tomovoz

« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2003, 01:24:48 PM »

Put away your smiting wand Ron. You must have smiled a little. Dogs are merciful.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2003, 01:30:12 PM »

I pulled out my DORIS DAY CHRISTMAS ALBUM this past summer while waiting for a three CD collection of her LPs to arrive. I just wanted to hear her voice.

I really don't mind listening to Christmas music at any time of the year. I pulled out "Miracles" by Kenny G (a gift from someone years ago) and listened to it while cleaning the house a few weeks ago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2003, 01:32:05 PM »

I will also watch A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS DVD at any time during the year.

DR Tom, what's it like to have Christmas with really hot weather? That must be different when everyone singing about snow and Christmas being white.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2003, 01:36:13 PM »

Tom from OZ - you are the Monkey's Uncle!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Andrea

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2003, 01:42:38 PM »

Good afternoon/morning everyone!!

With people I do know well - like DR Andrea - I'm afraid that I can sometimes cross over the line in the other direction and even can sometimes be considered "jerky" on occasions.  But I warn people who have potential for being recipients of my teasing/borderline jerkiness that I don't mean what I say half the time.    

Yes you do.... I've had crying fits over emily calling me nouveau riche.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2003, 01:45:14 PM »

Hello, fellow Dear Readers! I'm home and I have read up on my HHW, and now I have to start my homework so I don't keel over when I get home from work.

Lots of comments:

MBarnum: My favorite Christmas Carol is a tie between "O Holy Night" and "The Christmas Song". They're both so soothing and pretty! I adore Christmas carols. A local station has already started playing non-stop Christmas music, and I'm addicted. They're the perfect songs! And re: Carol of the Bells: My show choir is singing a jazz version of it this year. It sounds REALLY good, it's def. my favorite song that we're doing.

JOSE! You're back! I'm going to see Camelot sometime in the next month, I'll look for you! You haz been missed, buddy.

Jennifer: Ed was so cute! Although I think Carol is a whiny baby, the proposal was very cute. I actually liked the one in the beginning better, with the ballerinas :). Tom Cavenaugh is hot.

About the Karma fairy: Does anyone else think it's "Cheating" when you post about how your Karma level has gone down, and you get more? I mean, it doesn't make me MAD (emphasis on this point...I am just intruiged), but it's just interesting that you do something, and the level goes down, you whine, and the level is bumped up. It kind of defies the purpose.

Re: Tacky Decorations: There is a family down the street who decorates their whole house, inside and out, for Christmas. People donate leftover lights and decorations, and they buy more stuff every year. You can see their house from a mile away, it's so lit up. What makes it better is when there's fresh snow, and they turn on the colored lights, their yard is like a candy shop.

*sigh* I adore Christmas. And YOU. *muah*

Oh, Maya, I am now the proud owner of a NOVA sweatshirt :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2003, 01:54:46 PM »

Tom From OZ:  That was just a little steam venting...it has been incredibly intense here this morning, all by myself.  All my other folks are out at a seminar in San Francisco today and there's been one fire to put out after another.

I'm almost out of here...have to get a flu shot and then I have a doctor's appointment

And it's all one-stop shopping.

Now if I can get out of here before my frelling phone rings ONE MORE TIME!

Jed

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2003, 01:54:46 PM »

About the Karma fairy: Does anyone else think it's "Cheating" when you post about how your Karma level has gone down, and you get more? I mean, it doesn't make me MAD (emphasis on this point...I am just intruiged), but it's just interesting that you do something, and the level goes down, you whine, and the level is bumped up. It kind of defies the purpose.

Yup.  As you said, Swishy, it doesn't bother me when we have this pandering for points, I just find it an interesting routine that's developed.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2003, 01:55:26 PM »

Question for DRs: Can someone explain the difference between "model" and "supermodel"?

About two hundred dollars an hour.

LOL, TCB!  You're right...I really should do all my shopping online, btw!  Maybe this year!

Andrea--I'd rather be called "nouveau riche" than a "nouveau bitch!"  :P

Swishy--Three cheers for Nova Dame!  Hip hip hooray...hip h...oh, never mind.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2003, 01:55:32 PM »

Hot Christmas Matt H. Not strange when you have had nothing else. We do sing "White Christmas" etc but I guess the holy Lands weren't covered with snow at the frist Christmas either.  I have only spent Two Christmas days way from home in 58 years - one in Christchurch NZ and the other in London. There have been Australian Christmas carols and songs written but they just don't work for me.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2003, 01:56:13 PM »

I'll second what Sarah said.  Sometimes the whining is just incredibly loud.

And nobody likes to be dictated to in terms of what they should or should not do with their choices.

Still, I like everyone here and hold no grudges.

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2003, 01:57:47 PM »

Thanks Jack. We try to please and I knew you would know the source.
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2003, 01:58:38 PM »

One of my dearest friends who's actually 37 years old ADORES those animated Christmas specials "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (Burl Ives' voice) and "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (the one with Fred Astaire's voice; not sure if I got the name right). These specials were introduced after my childhood and I never got attached to them. Are others of you BIG fans of these shows like he is?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2003, 02:01:54 PM »

Of course, I comment on everything BUT the topic du jour. I am usually a very passive person. VERY passive. I don't let things get to me, and I forgive pretty easily. But when people are being jerks for the sheer pleasure of making others mad, I have a bad habit of very quickly losing my temper and venting every problem I have with them. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't understand why people become grouchy or upset or mean-spirited for no apparent reason, but such is life. "Why can't we be friends, why can't we be friends?"

Today in Biology, it was "National Biology Teacher Appreciation Day" (AKA his birthday), and so for an hour we blew up balloons, both the normal way, and with a helium machine, so that by the time the bell rang, his room was a giant sea of colors. There had to have been 200-250 balloons. It was awesome. Slightly dizzying (lack of oxygen), but awesome nonetheless.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jed

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2003, 02:03:35 PM »

MattH - The only TV Christmas special I watch is the one you mentioned earlier, the classic A Charlie Brown Christmas.

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2003, 02:06:28 PM »

MBarnum: My favorite Christmas Carol is a tie between "O Holy Night" and "The Christmas Song". They're both so soothing and pretty! I adore Christmas carols. A local station has already started playing non-stop Christmas music, and I'm addicted. They're the perfect songs! And re: Carol of the Bells: My show choir is singing a jazz version of it this year. It sounds REALLY good, it's def. my favorite song that we're doing.

Swishers, does your choir put out a CD? When my niece Katie was in her Sprague High School choir I would buy their CD each year...still love listening to them!!

Well, darn it Swish! That is the only way I can ever seem to get my karma points to go up!  8)

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2003, 02:12:47 PM »

SOmeone earlier mentioned the new AMERICAN IDOL CHRISTMAS CD. I guess you know there is an American Idol Christmas special coming on next Tuesday night hosted by Clay Aiken. I have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing it. I haven't heard the CD and don't know what their song stylings will do to the carols, but I'm eager to find out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2003, 02:14:44 PM »

So many people perusing yet so few posting.  We need less perusing and more posting.  

So, no one here deals with jerks and obnoxious people in anything other than a passive way?  I know that's not the case with dear reader Ron and certain people on the Internet.  I don't suffer jerks lightly either, and I tend to be laid back until someone pushes too far and then I'm afraid I'm just a bad bad boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2003, 02:15:09 PM »

One of my dearest friends who's actually 37 years old ADORES those animated Christmas specials "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (Burl Ives' voice) and "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" (the one with Fred Astaire's voice; not sure if I got the name right). These specials were introduced after my childhood and I never got attached to them. Are others of you BIG fans of these shows like he is?

Oh, my gosh yes! I LOVE the RUDOLPH THE RED NOSED REINDEER special and I have watched almost every year since it came in 1964 or so...well, it might have been 1966 or so before I was old enough to really watch TV, but by golly from my earliest memories I have never missed it (exept a few times while I was in my 20s). I now had it on DVD, and I have the CD of all the songs!

The other Rankin Bass specials don't excite me as much, but I did await them eagerly as a child and I would like to see THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY again one of these days. Yes, these were all a big part of my childhood!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2003, 02:24:26 PM »

what is everyone's favorite christmas carol?

Mine is "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" but preferably sung by a HUGE choir.  

There are a lot of Christmas/holiday songs that I really like, but the two that I like the LEAST are "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" and "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem."  I don't know why I dislike them so much, but I really, really don't like these songs.  And I haven't heard any arrangement to change my mind...so far.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2003, 02:24:45 PM »

MAD MONSTER PARTY
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up