Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OOMPH FACTOR  (Read 23087 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE OOMPH FACTOR
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2004, 06:19:31 PM »

Garden State only received 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and while I enjoyed Garden State very much I agree Sidways is a superior movie.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2004, 06:19:57 PM »

JMK I have never seen a laser dreidel- cool.

If you say “leave” first you don’t need to say “drop” after the item has teeth marks and/or slobber on it. ;D

We find screaming "Touch it and you're dead" in a high, shrieking voice also works.  (Joke--kind of).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2004, 06:20:45 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I'm done packing for now.  As long as I have my "pit blacks" packed, I'm all set for the week.  I'll be back Sunday night, so if I've forgotten anything, then I can pack some more stuff then.  I also pruned and watered my plants.  Cleaned the kitchen.  Cleaned out the kitchen cupboards.  Cleaned out the stuff in the fridge that needed cleaning out.  "Hmm.. This yogurt expird back on the 26th... Of March!?!?!?!"  I even sorted through two baskets of clothes in my bedroom.  Unfortunately, the reason I had to sort through all those clothes was because I noticed some "evidence" of the mice in the basket as I was pulling out clothes to bring up to DC.  So...  All sorted now, and when I get back next week, I'll put everything in the washer and dryer and then give most of them away to one of the local thrift stores.  -Most of the clothes are too big for me now :D -which is why they're in baskets and not in my dresser and closet.  -Too bad I didn't get in this sorting and cleaning mode a few weeks ago.  Ah, well... It will give me something to do on my day off.  Hmmm... "Something to do on my day off"

Well, let me get my stuff together and loaded in the car...

Laters from Fairfax...

*Oh, and I'm guessing the Notes will go up at Midnight EST tonight?  N'est-ce pas?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2004, 06:32:40 PM »

JMK-LOL

Jose have a good trip back to Fairfax.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2004, 06:50:13 PM »

Time for me to sign off.

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2004, 07:06:17 PM »

Well, lest I make myself into a fool like I did here many moons ago when I questioned the word "divoon," (silly me, I had never heard it before), I won't say it's not a word.  But, DRMB, what is "dasing"?

Why JMK, whatever do you mean??  ::)

(I do believe I need to edit! LOL!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #126 on: December 05, 2004, 07:07:08 PM »

BK is at Joe Allen's - I would imagine the joint is jumping!

Didn't DRNOEL have a show today....GENERATION F'CKD?

That disco show is on here right now.  KC and the Sunshine Band are singing.  OH my....

Great picture DRANN - everyone looks so happy.  I love it when friends come to shows!

I don't know from any NEW movies.  I don't go very much.  Maybe I will see something this week.

I love the idea of BeeGee ringing the doorbell.  I wish I could find that New Yorker cartoon.  DRGEORGE does that CD have an index of any type?

I also got a better picture of my cousin Lana whom I talked about yesterday.  I will scan it and post it.

Yes, pictures......we must have pictures.

Have a safe trip, DRJOSE.....Hallelujah, Baby!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: December 05, 2004, 07:07:51 PM »

Have a great evening, everyone!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: December 05, 2004, 07:31:33 PM »

Let the Frenzy begin:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2004, 07:32:26 PM »

<SNIP>
"I'll miss you."
"I'll miss you too."
"I love you."
"I love you too."

That's when I started leaving so that I wouldn't break down right there in the restaurant...

"I'll see you in New York, Jose!"  

And I've been sort of holding back the tears every since...

That's a very sweet story, Jose!  You two really must have been very special to each other! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2004, 07:33:16 PM »

Back and glad to be home for the evening. Looking forward to watching CINDERELLA (Julie Andrews) this evening on a local PBS station....

The Seattle PBS station isn't showing this until Wednesday, December 22!!  How rude! >:(  Does anyone know when the DVD's going to be released?  I'm too lazy to look it up myself. ::)

George

« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2004, 07:34:22 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]AAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH[/move][/size][/font][/color]

This priceless moment brought to you by eBay.

DR Jane, BeeGee already "picks up" items he shouldn't, including Legos, manuscript paper, Betsy's beret, etc., etc.  What he needs work on is "letting go again."

My sister taught her dog Murphy to "drop it."  If she can get a hold of whatever it is that he's got in his mouth, she gently pulls on it and says to him, "drop it" and eventually he does...very slobbery, of course. :P

George

« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2004, 07:35:59 PM »

I wish I could find that New Yorker cartoon.  DRGEORGE does that CD have an index of any type?

Not an index per se, just a decade list, then a year-by-year list.  You (or I, since I actually have the discs) can search for text within the .pdf files.  However, I started the search before I posted my first post at 7:31 and it's taking longer that I thought...it's still searching through the first disc!

George

« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

Is anyone planning on watching "The Librarian: Quest for the Spear?"  I figured that since I work for a library that I should!  It sounds kind of fun.

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: December 05, 2004, 07:42:38 PM »

And that, my friends, marked the official start of the Christmas Season!

;D

My family had one of these experiences today, too.  Went to The University of Cincinnati for the College Conservatory of Music's Feast of Carols.  It was a combined concert of all the CCM groups and several guest groups, like high school choirs, etc.  The special guest performers were the Little Stars of Croatia, a delightful group of singers, ages 10-18.  Our son, a UC freshman computer science major, joined us for the concert and we were pleased to find him so relaxed as his first college final exam week begins.

Glad to hear BK arrived safely in NYC - how I wish I could be there for the signing tomorrow!  DRPanni, thanks for the photos of yesterday's event.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2004, 07:47:36 PM »

I haven't watched HBO since moving and I turned it on early in anticipation of the Sellers movie because I couldn't recall what number the channel was. Turns out all the channels have been moved, but Adelphia, in its infinite wisdom, did not leave a new lineup card to tell me this. When I finally DID locate HBO West - among all the other HBOs - it turned out to be scrambled (not poached). Which it shouldn't be, as I'm paying big bucks for it. The Adelphia woman on the phone said they would unscramble it and send it to the box ASAP. Should be fine in 15 minutes, she assured me. We shall see about that. HBE East comes in fine. But the Sellers movie is already in progress there. I'd prefer to see it from the beginning. Call me fussy.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 07:49:01 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #136 on: December 05, 2004, 07:49:34 PM »

My pleasure, DR Ginny.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: December 05, 2004, 08:15:57 PM »

No, I wasn't even tempted to watch THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS. I thought he was just brilliant as an actor, but everything I've read about him paints the picture of a pretty miserable and basically unhappy human being, and I just wouldn't be interested in exploring the real man. It's enough that I love his performances so much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #138 on: December 05, 2004, 08:17:56 PM »

I did something I shouldn't have done.

Tried to watch two movies at once. The Five People You Meet in Heaven and The Life and Death of Peter Sellars. ( I have read the former and liked it so much that I gave it to DR td for his birthday.) I hope that both are rerun so I can watch the uninterupted.

Though mr. rush uncanningly got Mr. Sellers. Sometimes I forgot it was Geoffrey Rush
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2004, 08:23:17 PM »

I did watch CINDERELLA tonight, and it was as I remembered seeing it several years ago at the Museum of TV and Radio. But where do these guys come off saying that the show has been lovingly and amazingly restored to some sort of new brilliance?

It looked like the EXACT same overly contrasted and artifact ridden kinescope that has been residing in the Museum for years. Nothing wrong with that; I know that's all we have, and I'm grateful we have that, but I saw NO restoration. There are lines and scratches still there. Maybe the audio has been cleaned up. My home center speaker (it was a mono broadcast) is considerably better than the three inch TV speaker coming from the Museum monitor, so the audio may or may not have been superior to that Museum tape.

Again, I don't mean to sound overly critical. It was the ads for the show that I am criticizing.

Now, how about JULIE AND CAROL AT CARNEGIE HALL?

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2004, 08:25:13 PM »

And wasn't LOST an amazing episode this past week? Just got around to it tonight. Outstanding!

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2004, 08:25:34 PM »

Nice pic of DR TCB and his two cyber-kids.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2004, 08:27:55 PM »

I was really looking forward to watching the SELLERS movie - but can't. Grrrrrr! HBO is scrambled. I got into quite a little argument with them saying that I want a full refund from the time it was installed until it's fixed. (Nov. 16 to next Friday). This was the first time I'd attempted to watch and it didn't work. The woman said that she can only credit me from the time I called - because for all they know it was working. The logic of that escapes me. I pointed out to her that if I bought a car and didn't drive it for a year, when i got into it after 12 months, I would assume it worked. If it didn't I would take it back. The logic of this escaped HER. So I told her that if management refused to give me a full refund for the entire period, they should call me and I would discuss switching to Direct TV. Ughhh.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2004, 08:33:06 PM »

Zotz....wasn't she the middle Gabor sister?

Holly is resting as well.  Her pain medication makes her sleepy which is okay.  She lays down in front of the fireplace and s l e e e e e p s!

I remember Zotz as being a hard candy that had a powdery center that went "ZZZZZZZOTZZZZZZZ" when your saliva came in contact with it.  I'm not exactly sure what the powder contained.  Probably a mixture of baking soda and boric acid.

Glad to read that Holly is doing well.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2004, 08:51:02 PM »

So what's the story on Miklos Rozsa and the Dragnet theme?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2004, 08:55:13 PM »

Zota! was also a movie with Tom Poston and Julia Meade!  hehehehe.

I am still fascinated by the seedless pomegranates.

DRDANISE - we saw Mr Gary Mauer do his PHANTOM thang in November, and he was good.  I spent a lot of time rolling around on the floor, which I don't remember any other Phantom doing, but his singing and acting were very good.  My only argument was with the Carlotta who got NONE of the laughs in the role that I have seen before.  And the chandelier was the smoothest operating one I have ever seen.  A nice production....I think you will like it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2004, 08:57:14 PM »

Direct TV should scare them DR PANNI.

I just read that Kevin Lauber NOT Elmer Bernstein composed the faux contemporary concerto for THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT.  Hmmmmmmmm....I will ask again.  Does any DR have the HO DVD....there are a lot of complaints about the audio on the disk.  I bought a used copy of the VHS - not letterboxed of course - for 2.99 + 2.90 shpg. so I will have it, but of course would prefer the DVD, if it can be heard!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2004, 09:00:12 PM »

Only saw the last part of the Sellers movie.  Very strange.  Good Rush performance....great production design....  It was strange, but as I say, only saw the last half.  

George

« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2004, 09:15:28 PM »

It took awhile, but here it is, JRand!  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2004, 09:23:09 PM »

I started watching Cinderella but I really couldn't get into it with the incessant pledge breaks.  I switched at 9:00 to CBS's A Very Married Christmas which had a very muddled script.  But as further proof that I must be going through andropause, I got weepy at the sentimental and saccharine ending.

Before Cinderella, my local PBS outlet showed Christmas at the Hollywood Palace, a combination of two Hollywood Palace Christmas Eve broadcasts with hosts Bing Crosby and Perry Como, with present day interviews of various people who were involved.  Very Christmassy, overall, except for the Katherine Crosby shots.  The woman is downright scarey looking!  I don't like commenting too much on a person's looks, but she has just not aged well at all.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up