Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OOMPH FACTOR  (Read 22299 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE OOMPH FACTOR
« on: December 04, 2004, 10:42:14 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have had zotz and zazz, and now it is time for you to post until the oomphy cows come home.  To it, I say.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 10:38:46 PM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE OOMPH FACTOR
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2004, 10:57:39 PM »

First post, Huzzah!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2004, 11:00:25 PM »

I'm so glad it's tomorrow. I for one have had enough of today. This should start a new trend. If today is getting on our nerves for whatever reason, we should say, "Oh yeah? Well, watch this, today! You're history." ...And with that, we declare it to be tomorrow.
Today would learn pretty quickly to get in shape, I tell ya. Today would do its utmost - utmost, I repeat - to be pleasant and fun and ginchy. I've never used that word before. But I'm starting TODAY. Because today is the ginchiest. Has it got a choice?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 11:03:02 PM »

Safe travels, BK.

I hope you get your high-speed internet to work at the hotel.  If at first you don't succeed, call the front desk for help.  And if that doesn't help, just keep hitting the F5 key.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 11:07:10 PM »

Well, I'm with DR Panni!  I've had enough of this day too!  Harumphh!

-I also want to make sure I get up in time to make it to brunch with Edwina!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2004, 12:32:14 AM »

Now isn't that sad!

BK posts his notes an hour early, and here it is 12:30 in the A & M and I am only the 5th post -- in an hour and a half!!!  Shocking![/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2004, 12:46:48 AM »

I am glad everyone likes my new photo.  And yes, Jane, I am now younger than I was before.  Perhaps it has something to do with those transporters that Danise was talking about!  Actually the photo was taken in September for TEN LITTLE INDIANS.

My two beautiful and talented cyber children (Ann and Jed) came to see SCROOGE tonight.  Sadly, the show was one step off-kilter all evening.  It felt like second night slump, except that we were in the third performance of our second week of the show.  And, although I did not nail the show like I did on Friday night; I felt good about what I did.  None of us brought a camera, but Ann had her photo-cellphone (or whatever they call them newfangled gadgets), so there is proof that Jed is indeed alive, and that we were together tonight.  Fortunately we snapped the photo before I bitch-slapped Jed, so you get to see him while he is still smiling

Hmm, or did he smile more after the bitch-slap???
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004, 12:48:57 AM »

Yes, it's a new picture, TCB! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2004, 12:52:28 AM »

Yesterday, Jane wrote:
Dan (the Man) thank you. George’s sister’s boyfriend made the DVD for me. The American Girl Dolls aren’t ones I collect. I was looking forward to watching the movie but it doesn’t work in my guest room DVD player. I will have to wait until we return to our bedroom which accepts more formats.

I'm sorry about this, Jane.  I didn't think about the DVD format not working in every player.  I have two DVD players and since the one in my bedroom doesn't play this format either, you'd think I'd've though about it (is a double contraction even possible??).  But when you do get to (finally) see it, it'll look very good!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2004, 04:48:09 AM »

Well, I'm on my way to the Beach of Long momentarily.  See you in New York, New York.

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 05:44:23 AM »

Safe travels for BK!

Btw, I'm curious, do those at the booksignings get the cd?

I must go now and watch the end of THE TERMINAL.  Then I must finish the end of last night's REBA TRADING SPACES.  Since I actually watch that show I am quite enjoying them on TS.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 05:57:21 AM »

Good morning, all!  I signed off early last night, and I slept quite well.

I see DRTCB has gone from color to black and white.  Nice photo!

Around two years ago, the apartment building had a huge roach invasion, which was bizarre since I hadn't seen roaches in my apartment for around fifteen years or so.  It looks like our building is having another invasion, so I have to do some pest control management today.  The  problem the last time was caused by our  Argentinian drug-smuggling neighbor on the fifth floor and her drug-ho daughter.  The smuggler was locked up in Riker's Island, and the daughter - or possibly the people whose drugs didn't arrive from Argentina because of her arrest - was subletting the apartment on a short-term basis.  The other tenants were alarmed because there was a deluge of strangers coming in and out of the building until the office management could evict Doris, her daughter and sublettors.  This took about two years, and the guests kept leaving garbage down in the recycling bins, which smelled regularly of rotting food.  The roaches got so bad that one neighbor on the first floor was moved into a hotel so the apartment could be fumigated thoroughly.  Heigh ho the glamorous life!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 05:58:29 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 06:58:34 AM »

Roaches-be-exterminated-pronto vibes to DR Elmore.

We had them too a couple of years ago, and they haven't returned. The exterminator (he was not amused when I called him that) - make that, the technician - informed me that ours were German cockroaches, not Asians. They're quite similar looking, but the Asians fly and the Germans don't.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 07:09:50 AM »

Happy landings, BK,

I just posted a brief "Writer's Block" review on Amazon. Hopefully it'll be up by the time you touch down.

BTW The DP just finished WB as well - in one sitting, yet.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 07:13:29 AM »

Around two years ago, the apartment building had a huge roach invasion...

Does "huge" modify "roach" or "invasion"?
Of course, it could have been a huge invasion of huge roaches - like a scene from a Pogue film.

der Brucer (considering the neighboring goings-on , maybe you mean a different kind of "roach" :-X)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2004, 07:15:44 AM »

A thinking of Danise joke:

Why are Catholics in Florida not worried about dying: "Because it is so beautiful there that Heaven doesn't interest them — and so hot at times, that hell doesn't scare them. Amen."

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2004, 07:18:40 AM »

Does "huge" modify "roach" or "invasion"?
Of course, it could have been a huge invasion of huge roaches - like a scene from a Pogue film.

der Brucer (considering the neighboring goings-on , maybe you mean a different kind of "roach" :-X)

Actually, the roaches are quite average and disgusting, but the invasion is huge.  I'm seeing far too many of them, and I'm asphyxiating myself from Raid!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 07:35:45 AM »

DR Elmore,

Raid is pretty toxic. The exterminator, er, technician, coated some kind of gel down the sides of the cupboards and we haven't seen a roach since. Here are some pesticide-free recipes from the Net. I've heard good things about the Borax-sugar combo, but note the warning about toxicity.

If there are no children or pets in the home and if birds have no access to the floor, the following mixtures can be used to kill roaches.

Mix together 2 tablespoons flour, 4 tablespoons borax, and 1 tablespoon cocoa. Set the mixture in dishes inside cupboards and behind large appliances where animals have no access.

Mix equal parts of oatmeal, flour, and plaster of Paris. Set out in dishes.

Sprinkle Borax where roaches travel.

Set out dishes containing equal parts of granulated sugar and Borax. Roaches are attracted to sugar, and the boric acid in Borax is deadly to roaches. (Boric acid and Borax are toxic and should not be accessible to parrots and other pets. Baking soda is said to work as well as Borax.)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 07:37:47 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2004, 07:36:16 AM »

Alright, Panni - fess up! What's paying the rent?

LAPTOP L.A. / JOEL STEIN
The New Quiz Show Scandal -- Reality Television
JOEL STEIN

December 5, 2004

We all figured some of it was fake: Joe Millionaire's slurping make-out noises, the depth of the relationship between Brigitte Nielsen and Flavor Flav, Jessica Simpson's breasts. And "reality" was always a misnomer for shows that involve Donald Trump or people on desert islands. But these shows purporting to be unadulterated documentaries are unreal in a more obvious way: They are secretly crafted in advance by writers. And I've got the entertainment equivalent of the Pentagon Papers to prove it. Maybe more like the equivalent of the photo with President Bush holding the fake Thanksgiving turkey in Iraq, but still, they are definitely papers.

Many of the shows that supposedly follow the real lives of real people are really scripted by real writers, many of whom were unemployed because their sitcoms got replaced by reality programs. So reality shows are just sitcoms starring good-looking people instead of hot actresses and the fat, ugly guys who play their husbands. That's why they're 50% more entertaining.

Through sources I cannot reveal but would definitely not go to jail to protect, I got hold of a 19-page, single-spaced outline of an upcoming episode of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy." Every moment is planned in advance, including a few specific lines for the straight guy to deliver, which Bravo says is not unusual for any reality show. It's something that people in Hollywood know and think is no big deal. Like Mike Ovitz.

Above extracted from the LA Times by:

der ever-suspicious Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2004, 07:40:38 AM »

DRDIT, thanks for the tips.  I've been using boric acid, but I'll try a few of the others.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2004, 07:49:30 AM »

Actually, the roaches are quite average and disgusting, but the invasion is huge.  I'm seeing far too many of them, and I'm asphyxiating myself from Raid!

At the risk of being a real sh party pooper, I could observe that unless the surrounds of your apartment are treated as well, all your efforts* are futile - the roaches will win!

der bearing-of-sad-tidings Brucer

* or in BK talk: "all you efforts"  (See WB: p. 48, 7 lines from the bottom)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2004, 08:23:28 AM »

(My last roach post of the day)

DR Elmore,

Don't ever be discouraged (a Milk and Honey reference). Not entirely futile - it's worth making the effort (i.e., getting a technician in). A neighbor on an upper floor has them, but I've been roach free for a couple of years. One more hint. Roach eggs can find a home under your shoes - so clean them off as much as possible before stepping inside your apartment.

Danise

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2004, 08:40:42 AM »

A thinking of Danise joke:der Brucer

Gee, Dear Uncle der Brucer, all this time I thought I was so mean that Heaven didn't WANT me and the Devil was afraid I'd take over!   ;D

Morning all!

As we speak, BK is winging his way to NYC!  Safe trip!  

For you Babylon 5 fans, I received an e-mail from Deep Discount DVD and found that CRUSADE-COMPLETE SERIES is to be released on 12/7/05!!  

Roaches, I hate them!  We are have a real problem with them as well.  Ever since they tore down the house next store (the one that sat empty for so many months) we can't seem to get RID of them.  

I tried the boric acid stuff already and spray and the sound thing (that does NOT work).  I will have to try your other "recipes", Dan-in-Toronto.

I have to say that my dream machine has been working overtime because I have had some really wild dreams the last couple of nights.  Some really off the wall but so real!  

I died in one of them--it was a future, action/adventure/movie type dream.  I was a hero so it was ok.  Something to do with holding a door so some others could go on to save the day.  Well, somebody had to hold it! I held it for as long as I could but the bad guys got in and well...  
Glad to say they were to late and the world was saved so I didn't die in vain.

Then I had some kind of audition dream--I wish you could have seen some of the acts!  It was sooo funny!

I wonder what puts those kind of things in your head.  I'm thinking I was so tired that my brain was trying to make things interesting so I would stay asleep to see what happened.   ;)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2004, 09:00:32 AM »

DR Danise,

You were asking about seedless pomegranates. They really are seedy - though the grapelike seeds inside the juicy red seeds are smallish and softish. I got mine at Loblaws, our answer to Winn-Dixie and Publix.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2004, 09:04:09 AM »

Michael Shayne I enjoyed reading the links for John Ashley and Deborah Walley.  Thank you.

JRand ah, THE UGLY BUG BALL, ;D now I will have to TIVO the movie and catch it next time is plays.  The nice thing about TIVO is the speed one can fast forward the movie.

Bruce I hope you had a good flight to NY.  At least you can fly non-stop from L.A.

Jose I’m looking forward to reading about your brunch with Edwina.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2004, 09:06:44 AM »

Last night I kept going in to our bathroom and looking at the beautiful new counter  top  :D which was very stupid of me.  The fresh chemicals used to put it in made me sick and now I feel as if I have a cold.

TCB are you ageing backwards?  ;) I don’t see a group photo.  Where did it go?

George, Keith didn’t think about it either until I put the DVD in.  For some reason he thought I would know better. ;D

Elmore-yuck. Good getting rid of roaches vibes.

Off to walk Echo but first I had better bundle up, it’s cold out there.

Panni

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2004, 09:08:33 AM »

Alright, Panni - fess up! What's paying the rent?

My sugar daddy, Donald Trump.

Panni

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2004, 09:10:48 AM »

It's raining this morning in the City of Studio. Very cozy late last night listening to the rain falling on the roof outside my window.

Danise

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2004, 09:11:55 AM »

Have a safe and good walk, Jane!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 09:12:14 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2004, 09:16:48 AM »

Here's a picture I forgot to post yesterday of the winging bk signing a book (for DR Jay, I believe).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up