Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE X-RATED GEESE  (Read 31414 times)

td

• td
Re:THE X-RATED GEESE
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2004, 03:48:48 PM »

Oh, td, I spoke of La Ceremonie right here in BK's Notes months ago - a marvelously marvelous film.  

Well, BK, as often as I take your film advice (which is quite often), it might not have registered at that time.  You see, over dinner at Joe Allen's on Thanksgiving weekend, DR elmore and I were discussing the simply fabulous LATTER DAYS together, particularly Jaqueline Bisset's performance (and Mary Kay Place's, too) when Larry brought up how wonderful J.B. is in LA CEREMONIE.  When I returned from NYC, I immediately added it to my Netflix queue, and it finally became available this week.
So, has anyone read Ruth Rendell's JUDGEMENT IN STONE?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2004, 03:49:05 PM »

Speaking of which, that dear elmore recommended the movie which I just finished watching! Claude Chabrol's LA CEREMONIE.  Thanks for that heads up, elmore!  Truly beguiling, surprising and compelling.  Now, I believe I shall hie myself to Barnes & Noble to see if I can pick up the book that it was based on. . .

DRtd, I don't know if JUDGMENT IN STONE is available any more in this country.  I saw some imported copies at Partners & Crime the night of BK's reading, and I bought my copy at Foyle's in London, 1997, when I was recording THE MOST HAPPY FELLA with Jo and Emily Loesser.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2004, 03:50:16 PM »

(If the "Walter, the Farting Dog" book is too big, I can resize it.  Let me know.)

Speaking from experience, aren't ALL farting dogs too big?   ;)

td

• td
« Reply #183 on: December 18, 2004, 03:52:44 PM »

DRtd, I don't know if JUDGMENT IN STONE is available any more in this country.  I saw some imported copies at Partners & Crime the night of BK's reading, and I bought my copy at Foyle's in London, 1997, when I was recording THE MOST HAPPY FELLA with Jo and Emily Loesser.

All the Rendell novels are back in print!  I just checked amazon.  I guess this is cause for a new underwear dance. .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2004, 03:53:28 PM »

So, has anyone read Ruth Rendell's JUDGEMENT IN STONE?

Wonderful novel!  Similar but extended ending.  I can't remember now if the novel is set in England or France.  I saw the film when it first was available in VHS, and at that point the book was O.P. in the States.  Foyle's had a ton of Ruth Rendall novels.  I like her quite a lot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2004, 03:53:51 PM »

I love Howl's Moving Castle and can now not wait to see the film.  Unfortunately, we're probably six months to a year away from any import DVDs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: December 18, 2004, 03:54:38 PM »

I can't remember the name of the other Chabrol I saw back to back with La Ceremonie, but it, too, was excellent - maybe it was Masques.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2004, 03:54:53 PM »

I love Howl's Moving Castle.

td

• td
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2004, 03:57:07 PM »

you guys are making my shopping list longer. . . . ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #189 on: December 18, 2004, 03:59:32 PM »

DRTCB, Mr Bacon lives within four blocks from me, as do Cynthia Nixon and Mandy Patinkin.  I see Kevin occasionally on Amsterdam Avenue, and Seinfeld once in a while on 83rd Street, where his garage is located.

And do you ever say hello to Mandy?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: December 18, 2004, 04:00:57 PM »

I love Howl's Moving Castle.

And I love your home, BK.  Great photos, and it looks beautiful.  Would that I were at your Dec 24 par-tay and not peddling books at B&N!

You know, in all the time I came out to LA to work with you, I never saw where you lived or your fabulous collection.  You never saw my place because it's always a mess, though I did clean up for DRs PennyO, Jane, and Ben and Baxter.  After the bookcases fell down, I had to throw out a ton of unnecessary crap, so all the visiting DRs have seen my necessary crap.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: December 18, 2004, 04:01:24 PM »

And do you ever say hello to Mandy?

Yes.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #192 on: December 18, 2004, 04:03:59 PM »

Speaking from experience, aren't ALL farting dogs too big?   ;)

:o ;D

It's really funny when my sister's dog Murphy farts.  He always surprises himself and he looks around like "What the hell was that and where did it come from?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #193 on: December 18, 2004, 04:04:20 PM »

FOR MY WELL-RACKED FRIEND:

(Recipe and photo courtesy of FunnySoundingWebsite)

PIŠINGER TORTA

Sastojci:

1 veci omot oblandi, svežih
4 cela jajeta
2 žumanceta
300g šecera
100g cokolade
300g butera ili margarina
150g badema
sok od pola limuna
cokoladna glazura

Pomocu okrugle posude izrezati 10 okruglih listova oblandi.

Fil:

Jaja, žumanca, šecer i okoladu umutiti mešajuc;i na pari. Kad smesa pocne da se zgušnjava, sklonite je da se prohladi. Umešati penasto umuceni buter, limunov sok i mlevene bademe, koje ste prethodno o;istili i malo propržili. Napravljenim filom premažite oblande i složite jednu na drugu, a zatim ih ostavite da se ohlade izmedu dve ploce. Dobro ohladenu tortu prelijte cokoladnom glazurom i ukrasite kao na slici.

The placement of the non-translatable inflection marks is left as an exercise for the student.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 04:05:43 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2004, 04:08:13 PM »

It's really funny when my sister's dog Murphy farts.  He always surprises himself and he looks around like "What the hell was that and where did it come from?

The owner of the Drama Book Shop when I worked there suffered from terminal flatulence.  He'd walk through the shop dropping loud bombs right and left to the amazement and dismay of staff and customers.  When I read WRITER'S BLOCK, I thought of him immediately.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2004, 04:10:41 PM »

I'm so glad only my bookcases collapsed.  There are no collapsed racks in this place.  I thought that happened only during implant operations.  My cousin had a collapsed rack, I do believe.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2004, 04:15:23 PM »

WARNING POLITICALLY INCORRECT, ETHNICALLY INSENSITIVE, FEEBLE ATTEMPT AT HUMOR AHEAD:

CHRISTMAS
The teacher, Ms. Pelzner, was very curious about how each of her students celebrated Christmas. She called on young Patrick Murphy.  

"Tell me Patrick, what do you do at Christmas time?" she asked.  

Patrick addressed the class, "Well Ms. Pelzner, me and  my twelve brothers and sisters go to the Midnight Mass and we sing hymns, and then we come home very late and  we put mince pies by the back door and hang up our stockings.  Then all excited, we go to bed and wait for Father Christmas to come with all our toys."  

"Very nice Patrick," she said. "Now Jimmy Brown, what do you do at Christmas?"  

"Well, me and my sister also go to Church with Mom and  Dad and we sing carols and we get home ever so late.  We put cookies and milk by the chimney and we hang up our stockings. We hardly sleep, waiting for Santa Claus to bring our presents."  

Realizing there was a Jewish boy in the class and not wanting to leave him out of the discussion, she asked,  
"Now, Isaac Cohen, what do you do at Christmas?"  

Isaac said, "Well, it's the same thing every year.  Dad comes home from the office. We all pile into the Rolls Royce, then we drive to his toy factory. When we get inside, we look at all the empty shelves and begin to sing, 'What a friend we have in Jesus.' Then we all go to the Bahamas."
[/size]

der Brucer

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2004, 04:15:53 PM »

I bet he only does that so you won't think he was the one who did it. You know what dogs say: "Blame it on the human."
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DERBRUCER

« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2004, 04:20:42 PM »

TOD (True Confession time)

Cold Case
Without a Trace
Judging Amy
Kevin Hill
Veronica Mars
Huff
House
Joan of Arcadia
Law & Order: SVU
Starship Enterprise
Lost
Stargate SG1

(Johnny Weir)

der Brucer

François de Paris

« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2004, 04:26:18 PM »

I bet he only does that so you won't think he was the one who did it. You know what dogs say: "Blame it on the human."

I don't agree!
I don't think animals think the way we do; they can't be that shallow and cheap! :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2004, 04:30:30 PM »

I just got a marvelously marvelous gift in the mail from Mr. Harvey Schmidt - a CD of him playing Schmidt and Jones, recorded at his home studio in Tomball, Texas.  Can't wait to hear it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »

I just got a marvelously marvelous gift in the mail from Mr. Harvey Schmidt - a CD of him playing Schmidt and Jones, recorded at his home studio in Tomball, Texas.  Can't wait to hear it.

I got mine today as well.  No DVD of WHATIF, however . . .  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2004, 04:35:09 PM »

Der B and I are heading off, spreading Christmas joy and cheer...well, dropping off some toys at the Cafe Zeus Toys for Tots party, in exchange for food and schlagg and fellowship.

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2004, 04:44:45 PM »

I also got a beautiful card from the Goodspeed staff with this shot from WHERE'S CHARLEY?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2004, 04:47:13 PM »

Looking at all these wonderful postings, I'm confident in saying that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.

I'm thinkin' we should have another late-night partay tonight - last night's was ever so much fun.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2004, 04:55:35 PM »

Looking at all these wonderful postings, I'm confident in saying that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.

I'm thinkin' we should have another late-night partay tonight - last night's was ever so much fun.

Alas, a midnight partay for this East Coaster is only 9 pm for you wild folk on the other coast.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2004, 05:00:55 PM »

More Joi Lansing in panties, please!

elmore, Sad to say, they have revamped Foyles since I was in it last year.  While there are still 3 or 4 floors of books (as opposed to the original 5 or 6), the stock is not quite as electic as before and they have gotten rid of a lot of the older stock that used to sit on the shelves. I think it must be trying to compete with Borders (as is Waterstones) and other American chains.  While it's still a good bookstore is not nearly as wonderful, weird, musty, and dusty and full of surprises as it used to be.  And it seems to carry most of the stuff the other bookstores carry.  Also Charing Cross Road has lost close to half its bookstores to rising rent.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2004, 05:15:18 PM »

Congrats on the new wheels, Dear Reader MBarnum.

As my mother might say, drive it in good health!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »

DRJane sent me a wonderful package yesterday:  two books, some red hots, and some yummilicious chocolate fudge with pecans (?) and raisins.  The fudge carried a warning about never weighing more than a refrigerator.  At the rate I'm going, I'll weigh as much as two refrigerators by the time I finish it all.  If I were staying in DRPanni's lovely guest room and attending BK's fab Dec. 24 bash, DRPanni and I could decorate her cookies with my red hots.  I would guarantee no collapsible racks.

François de Paris

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2004, 05:28:54 PM »

More Joi Lansing in panties, please!

elmore, Sad to say, they have revamped Foyles since I was in it last year.  While there are still 3 or 4 floors of books (as opposed to the original 5 or 6), the stock is not quite as electic as before and they have gotten rid of a lot of the older stock that used to sit on the shelves. I think it must be trying to compete with Borders (as is Waterstones) and other American chains.  While it's still a good bookstore is not nearly as wonderful, weird, musty, and dusty and full of surprises as it used to be.  And it seems to carry most of the stuff the other bookstores carry.  Also Charing Cross Road has lost close to half its bookstores to rising rent.  

Oh my!

The hours I spent there.... when I was ..... young! ('60s/'70s!)
Found the very first book written about Julie Andrews there, (by John Cottrell, 1967) and some nice stuff about Animation art and technique too, as well as "early" books about the Hollywood and Broadway musicals!

Those were the days!.... here comes that song again! (td!!)
Did not they use to have two Foyles locations not far from each other?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up