Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: PERFECTLY COIFFED  (Read 42718 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:PERFECTLY COIFFED
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2004, 11:00:21 AM »

But if I do say it, it will give me inner strength.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2004, 11:00:38 AM »

Okay, I'll say it...
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »

Give me a minute...
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #93 on: December 23, 2004, 11:01:15 AM »

I'm going to say it.  I'm really going to say it.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2004, 11:01:36 AM »

Here goes nothing...
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2004, 11:03:29 AM »

[size=16]SIXTY!!![/size]
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »

There, I said it.
--Wayland Flowers

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2004, 11:04:29 AM »

Sorry George et al-

Only Ten.....don't know why? there's no sun up in the sky?  no eleven or twelve..days of Xmas

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2004, 11:09:50 AM »

George:  this has been a totally weird mail delivery week--even our mail carrier mentioned it.  She has been unbelievably early the last three days, and for two of the last 3 days, we have only gotten one piece of mail a day, which is beyond weird.  She says it's been the lightest Christmas week she's ever worked. So, long story short (too late, I know), Baker Street is going out tomorrow--I didn't have it in its envellope yet when she showed up this morning!!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2004, 11:12:12 AM »

For those who have heard Emmy Rossum/Christine sing do you think her voice is good?

DR Matthew said he thought it wasn't that good.  While my dad mentioned that he thought it was incredible.

Just curious.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2004, 11:12:29 AM »

I want to thank you one and all and also all and one for the birthday greetings to an old Wussburger like me who has been truant and errant and also errant and truant for a week or more.

I have missed some birthdays here, so let me add:

Happy Belated Birthday to Penny O., Dan the Man, Karen L., JB-NYC, Ginnie, Jane, and most of all
Our Fearless Leader BK!!
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2004, 11:15:21 AM »

DRMatthew, while I've several friends play the Phantom, and some of them do have classical voices, I consider a lot of that falsetto wailing (bargaincountertenor, in my book) is grisly.  I would never consider Mr Crawford's voice classically trained by any stretch of the imagination, even if he did sing in the premiere of Britten's NOYE'S FLUDDE!  I'm not sure what I'd call that voice, but as I said yesterday, I'm totally immune to his supposed charisma.

I also like the term my voice teacher would use from time to time:

necktie-tenor
*I specifically remember this term in reference to a recording of Argento's "Letters from Composers" for Tenor and Guitar we listened to in Song Lit class.  -It was on an LP - I can't remember the tenor name right now.  Although that Signor Matteuzzi who recorded Barbiere and Cenerentola (I think he's on that one too) with Signora Bartoli fits the bill too - ruins both sets of operas for me.

Oh, and there was also brillotone.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2004, 11:15:46 AM »

DR Jennifer - I never said it wasn't good, I just felt it wasn't strong.  After all, she's just 18, and at 18, she has an incredible voice, but it just isn't strong.  Because the casting was so young, her singing, while not strong, fit the part.  Does that make sense?

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2004, 11:15:57 AM »

Wow DR WFO, I didn't check the calendar to see that this was a big birthday.  My dad celebrated his 60th birthday last week.

And re: fedex/ups, I guess it's a good idea to leave the packages at this time of year.  I just wondered why it wasn't okay to leave it on tues, but it was yesterday.  I'm not sure where they left the package, but there is a man who signs for deliveries in the apartment complex.  So they hopefully left the package with him.

As for DR JMK's mail remark.  I always forget that your postal carriers TAKE mail too.  I wonder why they don't do that here.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2004, 11:16:16 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And Happy Birthday, Craig![/move]

And now I am going to grab my Joe and put on the OBC to Hairspray and BK's A Broadway Christmas.

To listen to "The Christmas Child".

And "Welcome to the Sixties".

Hey, Sixty is only a couple of letters away from Sexy...
--Wayland Flowers

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2004, 11:21:36 AM »

I'm sitting here debating whether or not it's worth defending my thoughts on Gerard Butler!!  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2004, 11:24:30 AM »

OK... For the unenlightened...

machateynista

Please tranlate/transliterate... enlighten if you please.

:)

OK.....I will give you what I know to be the definition.  Colloquially, (and isn't all Yiddish used colloqiually?) it is often used to mean "in-laws."  However, technically, it means the following relationship:

What the parents of YOUR spouse/partner are to YOUR parents.  (example:  Dear Partner John's mother is MY mother's machateynista, or the mother of her son-in-law.  His mother, TO ME, would be my shviger, or mother-in-law.

Collectively, my folks to John's folks would be mechuten.  John's folks, to my folks, would be considered, well......goyim.  (I kid, I kid.)

Everybody got it?   ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2004, 11:24:31 AM »

DR Jennifer - I never said it wasn't good, I just felt it wasn't strong.  After all, she's just 18, and at 18, she has an incredible voice, but it just isn't strong.  Because the casting was so young, her singing, while not strong, fit the part.  Does that make sense?

And wasn't she only 16 when she filmed the movie?

I guess I was confused by your comments, cause it sounded strong (and good) to me (on GMA).  Although I haven't seen her in the movie yet.

JMK

« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2004, 11:24:41 AM »

I mentioned this to BK yesterday in our mini-frenzy of emails, but I finally had a day with no gigs and I spent it finally reading Writer's Block.  I am almost afraid to post a review on Amazon.   ::)

One of the funniest synchronicities of yesterday, though, was that the only time I set down the book was to start the first few minutes of the new version of Manchurian Candidate.  And there in the first 5 seconds was the credit:  "Costarring Jeffrey Wright."

I must say I was distinctly disappointed with Manchurian Candidate.  All the reviews I read raved about the "reimagining" they had done, but I think those reviewers must have had small implants in their brains that prevented them from seeing several continuity errors and completely baffling lack of logic in several key plot developments.  I'm going to look at the deleted scenes today to see if one of the continuity errors is addressed (Leiv Schreiber's two "meetings" with Marco, one at the party, one later at the campaign headquarters), but the really glaring logic error, which I won't spoil for those who haven't seen this version, just defies description IMHO.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2004, 11:27:02 AM »

DR Stuart, how do you pronounce those words?  Usually I've heard of most yiddish words.  But I can't figure out how the words you wrote would sound.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2004, 11:28:46 AM »

For those who have heard Emmy Rossum/Christine sing do you think her voice is good?

DR Matthew said he thought it wasn't that good.  While my dad mentioned that he thought it was incredible.

Just curious.
DRJennifer, is her voice as good as Roberta Peters or Patrice Munsel, who both made their Metropolitan Opera debuts around the same age?  No, not at all.  It isn't a strong voice or particularly well-trained, IMO.  I don't think Miss Rossum could have sung at the Paris Opera and been heard beyond the orchestra pit.  She has the notes and good pitch and a good sound system.  

One of the jokes about POTO is that it's muzak for people who think it's classical music.  It has good tunes, and Sir Andrew has a flair for a good tune even when he doesn't know what to do with it.  I don't think the score or the vocal requirements, except for Carlotta, are as demanding as CANDIDE, especially in its original 1956 production: casting Patti Lupone, Rita Moreno and others who can't sing the Old Lady's tessitura are only demeaning a great composition, proving that camp and parody are two different arenas.

I enjoyed Miss Rossum's performance a lot, even though I think if she were a better actress she might have questioned why she's always out in the snow with her cleavage expsed and not feelign the cold!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:29:27 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2004, 11:32:40 AM »

I enjoyed Miss Rossum's performance a lot, even though I think if she were a better actress she might have questioned why she's always out in the snow with her cleavage expsed and not feelign the cold!

They did the same thing in "Lara Croft, Tomb Raider!" :P Gotta have something for the teenage boys, I guess. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2004, 11:34:20 AM »

Did anyone else see the hilarious Onion review of Phantom yesterday, about treating people with post-melodramatic stress disorder?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2004, 11:34:42 AM »

George:  this has been a totally weird mail delivery week--even our mail carrier mentioned it.  She has been unbelievably early the last three days, and for two of the last 3 days, we have only gotten one piece of mail a day, which is beyond weird.  She says it's been the lightest Christmas week she's ever worked. So, long story short (too late, I know), Baker Street is going out tomorrow--I didn't have it in its envellope yet when she showed up this morning!!

Not a problem!  I'll get it when I get it...and be grateful, grateful, truly grateful, I am (a John Bucchino reference!) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2004, 11:34:49 AM »

DR Stuart, how do you pronounce those words?  Usually I've heard of most yiddish words.  But I can't figure out how the words you wrote would sound.

DR Jennifer:

Put your ear to the monitor, and listen carefully:

Machateynista

Mechuten

Shviger

Or you could try this link:  http://www.koshernosh.com/people.htm, which offers audio pronunciations, if you click on the smilies.

JMK

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2004, 11:37:17 AM »

Not a problem!  I'll get it when I get it...and be grateful, grateful, truly grateful, I am (a John Bucchino reference!) ;D

I did a nice Ralph Vaughn Williams-ish choral arrangement of that tune for my Pops Choir.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2004, 11:44:03 AM »

Strange weather here today... A pretty hard downpour just came and left.  Lots of wind.  Lots of rain.

-I guess it could have been snow... But I like snow, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2004, 11:47:03 AM »

I'm sitting here debating whether or not it's worth defending my thoughts on Gerard Butler!!  

I don't think you have to defend him.  I thought he was fine, except I would have preferred a more terrifying makeup.  Compared to the dreadful sounds Kathryn Grayson used to make. the man's an artist.  And just exactly what kind of voices was POYO written for?  The Christine auditioners had to sing "Glitter and Be Gay," although nothing Christine sings is that well-composed or difficult.  Colm Wilkinson  is by no stretch of the imagination a legit singer and neither is Michael Crawford.  Carlotta needs the high notes and she's usually cast by a singer whose vocal chops are better than Christine's.  And she's the has-been!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2004, 11:49:14 AM »

P.S.  George--there was *one* scratch on Side 2, during "I Would Do It Again" (the slut, LOL).  Otherwise, it sounded pretty clean as I was listening from the other room when I dubbed it.

Were the Bock/Harnick songs "I'm in London Again" and "Finding Words for Spring"?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2004, 11:55:23 AM »

They did the same thing in "Lara Croft, Tomb Raider!" :P Gotta have something for the teenage boys, I guess. ;)

To me, the only good number to be sung in a wintery environment is "A Fine Romance" in SWING TIME!  I suspect Miss Rossum, in her last scene with Raoul and the Phantom, is trying to decide whether or not the Phantom would be such a cad to let her freeze her nipples off on the roof of the opera house!

Incidentally, if Miss Brightman were a better actress, perhaps she would have questioned why Christine, in the dreadful disco title song, sings she's with the dread Phantom who terrifies people and not with the Angel of Music who's her mentor.  Hate the stupid song, and I love all the lit candles rising out of the Phantom's lake, one of the silliest things in the film.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:57:18 AM by elmore3003 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up