Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HAZARDOUS WASTE  (Read 20397 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:HAZARDOUS WASTE
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2003, 09:05:01 AM »

Well, it seems DR Shayne either has a stange snese of time, travels by Tardis, or is a leg-puller cause:

Yesterday he posted a pic and asked:

"Does anyone out there in LA know if this place still exist? I took a picture of it a couple of months ago"

Well, according to http://www.gardenofallah.com/GOA_original.htm website:

In its heyday 'The Garden' was home to, amongst many others; Robert Benchley, Ernest Hemmingway, Gloria Stuart, the Marx brothers,
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Sheilah Graham (author of a magnificent book, "The Garden of Allah" Crown Publishing 1970) Dorothy Parker, Errol Flynn, Greta Garbo, and Humphrey Bogart. It was torn down in June 1959. In attendance was Francis X. Bushman, famed for the silent "Ben Hur." He and his wife Iva had attended the opening party as well. It is now a pink strip mall with a MacDonald's, a Subway Sandwich Shop, and a pizza place - but no bar.

They even offer this pic:

Detective der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2003, 09:08:44 AM »

I will also add my support for Strictly Ballroom. A fine film without the glitz of Moulin Rouge that over powered the story.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2003, 09:16:31 AM »

Well, it seems DR Shayne either has a stange snese of time, travels by Tardis, or is a leg-puller cause:

Yesterday he posted a pic and asked:

"Does anyone out there in LA know if this place still exist? I took a picture of it a couple of months ago"

Well, according to http://www.gardenofallah.com/GOA_original.htm website:

In its heyday 'The Garden' was home to, amongst many others; Robert Benchley, Ernest Hemmingway, Gloria Stuart, the Marx brothers,
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Sheilah Graham (author of a magnificent book, "The Garden of Allah" Crown Publishing 1970) Dorothy Parker, Errol Flynn, Greta Garbo, and Humphrey Bogart. It was torn down in June 1959. In attendance was Francis X. Bushman, famed for the silent "Ben Hur." He and his wife Iva had attended the opening party as well. It is now a pink strip mall with a MacDonald's, a Subway Sandwich Shop, and a pizza place - but no bar.

They even offer this pic:

Detective der Brucer

I really did take this picture a couple of months ago. I had heard about this place and was wondering if it still existed. It is a standing set at Universal Orlando. I am reposting the picture so we can compare the older photo that der Brucer posted.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2003, 09:36:23 AM »

TARDIS--I see a fellow Dr. Who Fan!  

Time
And
Relative
Dimensions
In
Space

Who (no pun intended  :)  ) is your favorite Doctor, Geordiemc?  Tom Baker Rules!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 09:38:11 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2003, 09:39:23 AM »

I am having a wonderful birthday so far.  I love weekend birthdays.  Bogie left me a funny card this morning, then Echo delivered her own card, and of course Keith had a sweet one for me.  Then I came here and there was this BIG birthday cake greeting me.  So now I have a birthday cake.  All of the greetings are fun and making me very happy.

I want pancakes now.  How about DuPars when I’m in L.A.?

TCB your hat is cute.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 09:39:48 AM by Jane »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2003, 09:53:05 AM »

Good afternoon.

Well, I read my usual three sections of the paper - at least the Washington Post: Arts, Travel and Sunday Source (kind of catch-all section of fun stuff).  Hmmm... A 3-day winter vacation in Paris for only $385 - hotel, airfare and some touristy things included... hmmm...  Something tells me I'll be calling the tourism office tomorrow.  *If anyone is interested in checking this deal out: franceguide.com.

I also google-d over to the West Virginia Public Theatre site (wvpublictheatre.org) - DR Jason's production of Scrooge actually opens tomorrow night, December 8, and runs through the end of the week.  Unfortunately, there's no production info on the site, you have to call for info and tickets.  In any case, Good Vibes should be sent out (again) tomorrow - although Good Vibes during tech aren't a bad thing either.  -I wonder if Jason's cell phone is working... hmmm...

Well, I think I'm going to be productive for a bit and get some laundry done - even though I don't like doing small loads, just don't like using all that water.  At least I can adjust the water level in the machine, but still... I'll see what else I can gather to make a full load.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2003, 09:54:03 AM »

Du-Par's can be yours, Jane.

Good morning.  I finally got a decent night of sleep, a full nine hours.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2003, 09:56:02 AM »

Craig: As it turned out the film crew was actually SHOOTING last Sunday night - unbelievable when you consider that everyone concerned would have been on "golden" time.  They were gone the next morning.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2003, 10:05:03 AM »

Danise, I do watch Jag.  I haven’t had time to watch in awhile (Keith doesn’t watch with me) and have several episodes saved for a future date.  I haven’t done my Christmas cards either, in fact, for the first time in 34 years they won’t be done at all.

Geordiemc the dog pictures are cute.

Tom from Oz thanks.  Echo seems fine.  The sun just peeked through the clouds so we shall try for a walk now.  I was too busy cooking yesterday and we didn’t get out.  She was a bit peeved at me and kept barking.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2003, 10:08:43 AM »

All this pancake talk is driving me insane. I MUST have pancakes, but I haven't got the makings at home and I'm too lazy to go out to a restaurant. I bet somebody could get rich with a Pancake Domino's (is that how you spell it?).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2003, 10:18:53 AM »

You can play dominos with pancakes?  I must try it sometime.  Sort of a gray day here in Los Angeles, California.  I must away to do some errands then I shall return.

Danise

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2003, 10:24:13 AM »

I'm cracking up here--I just happened to look at the map with the pins and couldn't figure out where the one was I put for me.  Well, I found it.  Say hello to the only dolphin/whale of the group.  I don't know how but my pin is off the coast of Africa in the water!  LOL!  

D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 10:29:43 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2003, 10:28:02 AM »

TARDIS--I see a fellow Dr. Who Fan!  

Time
And
Relative
Dimensions
In
Space

Who (no pun intended  :)  ) is your favorite Doctor, Geordiemc?  Tom Baker Rules!
I'm afraid I'm the one at fault for getting GeordieMc (a.k.a. der Brucer) at all familiar with the Doctor.  I was hooked on the series when we first met, which created a great deal of ribbing.  Needless to say, he ended up finding out a great deal about the series as time and space went on.

I just asked him, interrupting his crossword puzzle solving in the process, and he's torn between "The guy with the old car" and "The guy who wore the celery stalk."  (That's Jon Pertwee and Peter Davison, the third and fifth Doctors, for those who have trouble remembering.)  I've also got a soft spot for Davison, and for Sylvester McCoy, the seventh Doctor, but I think the best season of the series was The Key to Time, during Tom Baker's run, which I would like to have on DVD some day.

While we're at it, who were your favorite companions for the Doctor?  I always liked Lalla Ward as the second Romana, and Janet Fielding as Tegan.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2003, 10:38:45 AM »

I am preparing for a Board Meeting this evening.  Hopefully I will be back in time for chat.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2003, 11:26:32 AM »

A HUGE happy birthday wish to DR Jane, one of the nicest people to ever grace the HHW forum!!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2003, 11:30:30 AM »

Excuse me, but we iz havin' a party here so all the errant and truant need to get their errant and annoyingly truant butt cheeks in here.  I haz spoken.

Tomovoz

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2003, 11:39:06 AM »

OZ TV is running every known Dr Who episode in sequence. It started about a month ago. Can't wait for the wonderful Tom Baker episodes - even the sadness of K-9 being left in another dimension.
Strictly Ballroom: Baz got it right that time.
Pleased that your birthday is going well Jane - it finished here six and half hours ago.  The Tardis is everywhere.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2003, 11:46:38 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jane!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Glad you're having a wonderful day![/move]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 11:51:05 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2003, 11:48:25 AM »

Pancake talk doesn't bother me one bit.

I'm a waffle man.

If it's a waffle, I'm ready for it!

I love Belgian waffles.

And pure Maple Syrup!

With a side order of bacon.

And lots of hot, strong, aromatic coffee!

Black!

Yummy!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 11:49:01 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2003, 11:49:50 AM »

And BK:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy last day before your Birthday![/move]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 11:50:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2003, 12:00:29 PM »

Your viewing in celebration of the birthdays of Jane and BK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2003, 12:01:21 PM »

Jane and BK celebrating:
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2003, 12:38:40 PM »

Well, this is an unpleasant first - logging on at 12:30 and finding no one perusing this board.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2003, 12:50:47 PM »

Well, this is an unpleasant first - logging on at 12:30 and finding no one perusing this board.  

I know.  It's spooky, isn't it!  

Maybe everyone has had a break in the bad weather and are all outside basking in sunshine!  We're having such a break here in the Bay Area...the skies are blue and the sun is shining for the first time since Wednesday.

And another storm is headed in, so folks are out in force!

I'm thinking of making a batch of black walnut fudge in honor of DR Jane's and Dear BK's birthdays.

I'll honor each of you with each delectable bite!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2003, 12:52:58 PM »

DR MBarnum has a new photo up.

He doesn't say who it is, but it favors him.  

It looks like a photo from the Eisenhower 1950s (black and white photo, well-dressed young man with a crewcut!) or the early. pre-Beatles 1960s.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 12:55:06 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2003, 12:55:56 PM »

I is perusing!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy Birthday to Jane!!!!
[/move]

You should be eating lots of this today:

Well, I had a lovely sleepover at my friend's house.  She, our friend Steven and I went to see "Love Actually," which I thought was witty, sweet and adorable.  Hmmm....here's a question....who is the cuter British rogue, Colin Firth or Hugh Grant?  I can't decide.

I want to see "Strictly Ballroom." Luhrmann isn't my favorite director, but his aesthetic sense is hard to top.

Swishy--I'm sorry to hear about what happened at the audition!  I haven't heard you sing yet (STILL waiting for voice clips, ahem) but I'm sure you are definitely talented enough to have your pick of cabaret shows to perform in.  You don't need to be working with people who are going to hold your age against you.

Have you thought about developing you OWN cabaret show?  I have one friend who did it and even performed it in NYC when she wasn't much older than you.  

Oooo....just thought of another good question for discussion for DRs!  If you were doing a cabaret show, what would your theme be?  Would you focus it around a certain composer or idea?

Well, I have to write a paper for American Lit but I will def. be around for chat. (Wow, reading Juliana's Journal is having an effect on me!)

Laters!  ;D

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2003, 12:58:23 PM »

Oh, and Em---a JRB cabaret show doesn't count!  :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2003, 01:02:21 PM »

Off to the theatre I go... See you after the show... from home-base Richmond...  *My regrets for the chat..  :(
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2003, 01:12:04 PM »

Hey DR Danise: Did you notice your post says Happy Birthday Ann :)

My feet are hurting so bad.  Just came home from a long day of shopping.

Something interesting happened when we got to the cash.  Our item scanned at much less than what it was supposed to be.

I will be getting (for Christmakah) a nice comfy long fluffy pillow. It was marked reduced for 12.99$. There was a huge sign in front of the pillows. And the tag on the pillow said 12.99.  My mom was buying it so I wasn't paying attention, but I heard her say, "did you see that?". And when i looked at the price that it scanned at it said $7 something plus tax.

Now I LOVE when this happens. It's a nice surprise.  And even if it was a mistake, they have to give it to you at the scanned price.

Although wouldn't more people buy the stuff if the proper discount was advertised.

A similar thing happened today for my pajamas. It said $34.99, but there was a red tag on them. When we asked, the cashier said they were an extra 25 or 30% off. Yet there was no sign on the rack!

Happy Sunday to all.

Shoot, I can't type anymore, my finger now has a big blister on it. And unless I want to type with one less finger, I must stop now.

And btw, it's still snowing lightly here :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 01:16:15 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2003, 01:13:44 PM »

Btw, would someone please comment on Hildy's Trading Spaces "feather" room from last night.  She is the star of next week's episode too. Something about cardboard :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up