Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HAZARDOUS WASTE  (Read 20340 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:HAZARDOUS WASTE
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2003, 03:44:26 PM »

Oooo....just thought of another good question for discussion for DRs!  If you were doing a cabaret show, what would your theme be?  Would you focus it around a certain composer or idea?

The best selection of cabaret songs I've seen recently was about a year ago at Don't Tell Mama:

You There in the Back Row
The Kid Inside
Stools
Hello Tom
Nothing Really Happened
Fifteen Pounds Away From My Love
So Many People
Watching the Show
I Can Do This
You Can Be a New Yorker Too
I Have Found

Everybody know these songs?  And who sang them?

And did anyone ever answer my query as to who wrote "Not Exactly Paris"?

Oh, and

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy Birthday to Jane!!!!
[/move]
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2003, 03:51:46 PM »

Noel: I certainly know two of those songs, since I was the first to record them.

Michael Shayne: I think Jeff produced it himself - or he and Alex Rybeck or something.  Can't remember if I had any input in the order or not.  

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2003, 04:00:46 PM »

And ohbytheway!  Is anyone else as concerned as I am that Jennifer is playing with a glue gun?  That there is actually a glue gun in her house???????

We have all learned why this is not a good idea, but shouldn't there be some licensing involved?

Jennifer:  The Hildy segments of "Trading Spaces" are not instructional!  They edit out safety precautions that everyone should take when actually applying those melted glue sticks to surfaces.

And ohmygoshbutwhatwereyougluingwhenyouburnedyourinde xfinger?  Youweren'ttryingtodofeathersyourselfwereyou?

Actually I have used a glue gun MANY times before. And next time I will probably wear something on my finger.

In the past I have done many crafts with dried flowers and decoupage. I was trying to fix something for someone that needed a touchup.  And I was also fixing an ornament for my mini Christmas tree. I don't celebrate Christmas or have any trees. But I like decorating them. Not sure what I will do with this one. But it is so cute.

And btw, I LOVE HILDY. I will reply to your rant later. But I must go watch Alias. It starts in 2 minutes!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2003, 04:21:30 PM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Jane!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And many happy returns of the day!!![/move]
[/size]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2003, 05:09:47 PM »

That is indeed me, myself, and I. A buddy of mine took that picture a not too long ago when he was taking a photo course at Chemeketa Community College. He used me as a project for taking portraits or something. I wanted a nice photo to use for the back of a book cover if I should ever write a book.
It is indeed a very nice picture, and makes you look quite butch!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2003, 05:11:29 PM »

A HUGE happy birthday wish to DR Jane, one of the nicest people to ever grace the HHW forum!!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Oh you are so sweet.  There isn't a blushing happy face, just the embarrassed with a frown.  I'm blushing with a smile.

I'm having a wonderful day thank you.  We saw Love Actually, a nice feel good movie.

Emily

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2003, 05:11:48 PM »

And ohbytheway!  Is anyone else as concerned as I am that Jennifer is playing with a glue gun?  That there is actually a glue gun in her house???????

We have all learned why this is not a good idea, but shouldn't there be some licensing involved?

Ron, during the registration process people that - ahem - shared your views on firearms sent in license and registration applications for glue and soldering guns just to irk the officials and run up costs and problems with the system.

And they wonder why we went 42000% over budget (btw - that is NOT an exaggeration!) :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2003, 05:14:20 PM »

Chat in forty-five minutes.

Jane

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2003, 05:14:36 PM »

Jane and BK celebrating:

We did have a nice waltz once around a very large dance floor where we were the only ones dancing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2003, 05:20:23 PM »

Tell us more about that dance floor, dear Jane.

And tell us what foodstuffs you're having for your glorious birthday.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2003, 05:33:08 PM »

Tell us more about that dance floor, dear Jane.

And tell us what foodstuffs you're having for your glorious birthday.

You don’t remember? ???

I’m just having leftovers from our dinner last night.  Guacamole dip, delicious artichoke crepes, wild rice, and sting beans with sautéed onions and portabella mushrooms.  For dessert I made a new recipe, pumpkin carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.   We were more than pleased with the dinner, so much so I decided not to go out tonight and just finish the leftovers.

I did not have an official birthday cake.  My favorite birthday treat is a Baskin Robbins white cake with chocolate chip ice cream, but eating an entire cake can be rather fattening.  Keith might have a piece or two but that’s it.  He prefers the non fat ice cream.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2003, 05:34:49 PM »

DR Emily:  Please tell me what you believe my views on guns/firearms to be.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2003, 05:46:38 PM »

Of course I remember - but I want YOU to tell, not me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2003, 05:46:54 PM »

Oh, and chat in fifteen minutes

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2003, 05:48:29 PM »

Well, dear readers, der Brucer and I have had an interesting day, to say the least.  We were already scheduled for a reception and a dinner, when from out of the blue we suddenly get a phone call from his daughter.  They (meaning her husband and his assistant) had a couch to deliver to us, and would we at all mind if they (meaning her husband, his assistant, plus the grandlads and herself) dropped by this afternoon?  This request was made when the five of them were already on the road, and less than an hour away.

You've never seen two men leap to house-cleaning so fast, making things at least half-way presentable.  It's amazing how much dander five dogs can shed in a month!  And then I got a batch of Toll House cookies going, as well.

So we now have an oversized couch in the living room, very used but more comfortable than the picnic bench that was sitting there before.  Of course, they listened to der Brucer explain that we had other events to attend...and still didn't make any move to leave.  Of course they heard der Brucer explain that we had wanted to introduce the dogs to the family one at a time, but still they came as a gallumphing herd (the family, not the dogs).  The dogs were not pleased.

They (the family) finally got a move on, and we were able to get to the first function, a fundraiser for a woman running for the local state assembly seat.  During that, we discovered some inconsistancies between what we had been told before on how county politics works in regards to one major political party (let us call that the Lucy X party) and the other major political party (let us call that the Jessie Y party).  (Those are not their real names, of course.  Anyone not getting THAT reference around here has problems.)  We had been led to believe that the overdevelopment going on in Rehoboth was the fault of the Lucy X party, but it turns out that the County Board of Commissioners are instead dominated by the Jessie Y party, and it is the CBoC that says yea or nay to the development projects.  Der Brucer and I are going to have a lot of fun with the political scene around here, I can tell you!

Anyways, having met some interesting people at the reception, we were on our way to the dinner when the cell phone starts ringing.  It's der Brucer's daughter.  They had forgotten to pick up the fiber-optic snowman they had asked us to buy for them, and had already driven back and were almost at our house.  Would we mind if they just popped in and got it?  As a matter of fact, we WOULD mind, thank-you, as would the dogs!  Besides, the fiber-optic snowman was in the trunk of our car.  Well, could we meet them somewhere?  As another matter of fact, we're already late for the dinner, what is so important about a fenorkin' fiber-optic snowman!!!?

We finally told them where the car would be parked, and left the fenorkin' fiber-optic snowman on the back seat with the car unlocked.  We also made a point of not leaving the dinner until we absolutely had to, almost overstaying our welcome, just to make sure we had avoided another meeting with der Brucer's daughter.

There are times contact with family should be limited to very tiny doses.  This is especially true when the family doesn't understand what the phrase "very tiny doses" means.

On top of which, they took with them half the batch of cookies that I had baked.  I really need to make more cookies.  It's good therapy.

*sigh*
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 06:02:55 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2003, 05:51:10 PM »

Oh, and chat in ten minutes.

C'mon, Jane, do tell.

I hope you are having the most marvelous birthday because you are a most marvelous gal.

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2003, 05:52:01 PM »

It is indeed a very nice picture, and makes you look quite butch!

Thanks for the nice comments on the picture. It is the first time I have been able to get a picture up that didn't turn out blurry!

Some think that I look like my dad, and for a truely vintage photo here he is circa 1945. Eventually he turned into Wilfred Brimley, however.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2003, 05:55:57 PM »

Oh, and chat in five minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2003, 06:01:40 PM »

Chat is open.

Mr. Mark Bakalor

• Administrator
  • SAG / AFTRA
    • mark, my words
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2003, 06:09:11 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments on the picture. It is the first time I have been able to get a picture up that didn't turn out blurry!

Some think that I look like my dad, and for a truely vintage photo here he is circa 1945. Eventually he turned into Wilfred Brimley, however.

Hey! If you send me as large a scanned image file  as you can of that old photo I'll touch it up and get it looking as if it were taken yesterday. Email it to me at mark@hijinks.com if you're interested!

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2003, 06:19:48 PM »

1945 was a wonderful year. (I only experienced 17 days of it but I met some wonderful people. My older sister had a wonderful Christmas present and she hasn't broken it yet!) Can we send td messages by proxy? I bought my sister a copy of "AI" for Christmas. Mr Dale will understand!
Don't know if that Man in the photo was in an Australian port during WW2 and my mother is no longer here to ask. I am glad his son turned out to be such a lovely guy.

Jane: I think Birthday boy BK was so overwhelmed by your twirling that he has forgotten everything except that he was there. Surely he remembers how long it took to get his hair like that?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2003, 06:31:15 PM »

Chat is wild and wooly and wooly and wild and if I were you I'd get your well-worn butt cheeks in there.  Or post.  Or not.

MBarnum

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2003, 06:40:30 PM »

Chat is very lively! If you aren't there you ain't nowhere, man!

Emily just revealed that she is indeed a croisannt, BK and Ben has dreams of being sperm doners,  and Panni will soon be employing Mr. John Schneider.

You are simply missing out if you are not there.

Ben

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2003, 06:48:08 PM »

Just left a sparkling chat. Sperm donation was indeed a topic as was Mr. John Schneider.

MBarnum, I do agree with others that the photo of you looks like it was taken many years ago. You look great in it but it looks like a 50s college shot or something similar.

I must be off to do sundried things and get ready for tomorrow, facing a city full of people who have to deal with snow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2003, 06:51:34 PM »

I'm catching up on things - one day off is difficult at times.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2003, 07:10:20 PM »

Woah - it's only 7:09 PST and I'm the only one in the chat room... I showered, really I have.  I'm off to find tea and spirits to sooth my failing vocal chords, but I'll stay in the chat room for a while.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2003, 07:11:35 PM »

Oh, and chat in ten minutes.

C'mon, Jane, do tell.

I hope you are having the most marvelous birthday because you are a most marvelous gal.

I was busy eating my delicious dinner.

Okay, now for the waltz story.  I was invited by friends of the family to a dance for MGM employees.  I had recently met Bruce, so I was fifteen, almost sixteen years old(?) and asked Bruce to take me.  I can’t remember where the dance was but believe Bruce does.  When the band took a break the crowded dance floor cleared out.  From somewhere music began to play again, but the dance floor stayed empty waiting for the band to begin again.  Bruce decided we should dance.  I was absolutely embarrassed to be the only ones out there.  My embarrassment quickly passed as he twirled me around the entire dance floor.  I suppose that was the closest I ever came to feeling as if I were dancing with Gene Kelly.

Jane

« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2003, 07:14:32 PM »

MBarnum those are wonderful pictures of you and your father.  You both have great faces.

Since you are all busy chatting I shall return later.

Laura II

« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2003, 07:26:50 PM »

Hi all! I hope everyone had a fabulous day!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
Happy[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Birthday,[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Jane!!![/move]

Good vibes to Jason for opening night tomorrow and for the rest of the week!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that the lady at the audition was rude to you. You'll get to enjoy Mamma Mia now, though, plus you have audition experience. Btw, on the topic of SNL (this probably will only make sense to Sarah :))...I went to SNL once or twice last year. I too have a friend who wanted to go but was too nervous to go by herself. Anyway, Ryan (not Sco) invited me, along with my friend's future boyfriend (now ex). I felt really awkward, but I didn't participate in their service, and no one pressured me to do so. (I'm Catholic and very comfortable with my faith.) Later that night, during the actual SNL (the fun and games part for teens :)), my friend, Ryan, Jeremy (the ex), a few other people, and I had a lot of fun just sitting around and singing. (I love singing, and I actually got to "perform," which is something else I enjoy lol.) Anyway, my friend (another Laura) really enjoyed the night and wanted to return the next week, so when she asked, I said I'd go with her because she's pretty shy. Unfortunately, SNL that week was not a blast. As soon as we got there, everyone was leaving to go to a meeting at someone's house. Jeremy had Laura and me come along. You know whose house we went to? Drew's. That's right...my ex-crush who had indirectly caused me to lose a friendship with a girl who was a very close friend. I was completely mortified for the entire night, especially as he and his then-girlfriend sat about 5 feet away from me the whole time. eek. He and I are still friends, though, which is good. That was my last time at SNL (in like October of 2002). I was still grateful that Ryan and Jer had invited me, as Ryan was a popular guy at school who seemed to be reforming, but something happened a few weeks later that caused me to lose a lot of respect for him...I don't want to bore people with my stories, but if anyone is interested, I'll share some more. Sorry for the rambling!

Jennifer--I hope your finger gets better! When I was in eighth grade, I was working on a French project/poster board the night before it was due (as usual). I was using a hot glue gun, and I accidentally dropped a piece of fabric with the glue on it on my forearm. I went to peel off the fabric, and some skin came with it. I still have a somewhat noticeable scar there. (Question for all DRs: Do you have any scars? How did you get them? I have one on my left knee from when I was 6 and jumped off the roof of a car.) Anyway, hope your finger gets better! I know how you feel. My hands are really chapped and cut up from the cold weather and because I wash them like 25 times a day. They hurt a lot!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2003, 07:28:55 PM »

While I still have a few hours to say it... Happy Birthday, Jane!  Glad to hear you've had such a wonderful day.

Chat was rather brief, but fun and lively as always.  Matinee went quite well today.  Smallish audience, but they got a good show.  And now some nights off!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up