Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAY OF RECKONING  (Read 16868 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DAY OF RECKONING
« on: May 21, 2006, 12:17:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes reckoned and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - and if you think I'm bored with the goings on of recent days, I'm REALLY bored of the fershluganah cows.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 12:16:36 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:DAY OF RECKONING
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 12:21:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUIGENERES!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 12:28:37 AM »

BK, what is a blog for, if not to rant?? :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 12:29:23 AM »

WOTD: I think they're the Legionaires who went to Algeria from Switzerland.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:35:18 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 12:30:02 AM »

Of course the Swiss connection theory could be full of holes.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 12:37:04 AM »

BK, what is a blog for, if not to rant?? :)

A blog for for logging, flogging and slogging!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »

CHEESE!!! :)
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 12:46:58 AM »

Last week on eBay, I bought a couple of new batteries for my StarTac cell phone (which I've had for four-and-a-half years) because my original battery is not holding the charge as long as it used to.  Well, the new batteries came (I bought two and with shipping, only cost a total of $8.22!) but it turned out that they're nickel-metal hydride batteries and my original was a lithium-ion battery.  I didn't realize that and have now found that the n-mh batteries (even brand new) do not last as long as the l-i battery!  What a jip!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 12:47:12 AM »

Anyway, instead of buying new batteries again, I went to Verizon's website to get a brand new phone (finally), which would also get me a brand new battery.  And since Verizon has a free new phone every two years program, I could get certain phones for free or $100 off the more expensive phones and another $50 off by ordering on-line.  I was thinking about getting the Motorola Razr phone (does anyone have this?), but I actually ended up getting a Samsung phone that can not only take pictures (which is standard anymore), but play MP3 songs and I think I can even make my own MP3 ringtones!.  I can, of course, keep my same phone number and the same plan, I just have to agree to a new 2-year contract.  That's perfectly fine...I've had the same plan for four-and-a-half years and don't need to change it.

George

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 12:48:11 AM »

The only problem is that I was totally psyched about getting a brand new phone for free, but comparing the Razr and the Samsung, I really liked the options that the Samsung had that the Razr didn't, but the Samsung (even with the $150 discounts) will cost me $100.  Oh, well.  After having the StarTac phone for so long, I've certainly gotten my money's worth! ;)

George

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 12:59:06 AM »

And now, to sleep.  8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 04:01:53 AM »

Yesterday, der Brucer and I drove up to Pennsylvania to meet Blackie and his human friends, to bring him home as our new foster.  But Blackie did not make the return journey with us.  Oh, no, he didn't come home with us at all.

The journey up was uneventful.  We took Fletcher with us, who, for part of the trip decided what he really wanted was to lay across my lap sort of on his back with his nose stuck in the car's air conditioning vent.  This was a bit awkward for me, because Fletcher is of course quite large (about 100 pounds of dog) and the angle at which I had to hold the book I was reading while he was in my lap wasn't exactly comfortable.

But our directions to the meetingplace in Pennsylvania were quite good, and we got there earlier than we had expected.  Blackie was waiting for us with one of his current human friends, and he and Fletcher took an immediate liking to each other.  After a few introductory sniffs, they ran around and played and wrastled and had a wonderful time.  He also introduced himself to der Brucer and me.  Since we'd been warned not to make any sudden movements around his head because of previous abuse, we were prudently cautious and let him get to know us before giving him his requested pets.

Blackie's second human friend, who runs the rescue operation that has been caring for him, arrived after a short while, and we were all getting along quite well.  Both of the caregivers seemed to like us and Blackie seemed to like us, and caregiver #2 went inside to get some paperwork...

And then Blackie jumped up at der Brucer.  There wasn't a growl or anything negative, Blackie just jumped up and hit der B in the face with his own face.  And the next thing we knew, der B had blood running down his beard.

Fortunately, where we were meeting Blackie and company was at a kennel.  We quickly got der B inside, where he cleaned his scrapes with peroxide and decided they weren't going to be fatal.  I took der B aside, and asked if he was still sure about this.  If Blackie could get too rough with us, what was to keep him from getting too rough with our dogs?  Could there be trouble?  Der B asked me to slow down, we needed to think about this.

So back to the outside run we went.  And within a minute of our being back in the run with everyone else, Blackie jumped up at me, exactly as he had with der Brucer.

Let's make this absolutely clear.  I don't believe he was trying to bite me.  He was trying to be friendly, and trying to get up to my level.  But his open mouth collided with my face, and this time I was bleeding.

Back we went to the rest room, and this time it wasn't so good.  Blackie hadn't just cut me - he'd split my lip wide open, from the lip half-way to my nose and half-way through the flesh.  I could tell that this was going to take more than a simple band-aid, that I needed stitches.

Everyone was apologetic to each other.  The two caregivers apologized to us.  We apologized to them.  They agreed to take care of the medical expenses, and one of them drove us to a medical center, where it took quite a long time for the staff to get through the que to see me.  (Fletcher, waiting outside the facility with der B, flirted with almost everyone walking by.)  At first, the nurses thought it would take just a few stitches to close the wound, but the doctor nixed that idea, and insisted that I see a plastic surgeon to do the job right.

So off we went to a hospital emergency room, where a plastic surgeon was working on another patient and would therefor be available.  It took another long time for him to get to see me, of course.  Why medical dramas always make hospitals seem like venues filled with running and people yelling "STAT!" doesn't make any sense, because that's never what really happens.  But see me he finally did, and sew me up he did (several subdural stitches along with the surface stuff).  I was shot by a tetanis, and dripped with antibacterials by an IV, and quizzed by a clerk with paperwork, and by the time I got out of the ER it was already past nine-thirty at night.  Blackie had struck me, and struck out, at about two-thirty that afternoon.  We got home at a little past eleven.

So here I sit, with three-quarters of a moustache but some threads poking through where the other quarter used to be.  The inside of my lip is bruised.  There are a couple of other abrasions.  And I've got the early shift at work today.

The good news is, there wasn't anything that der Brucer needed to record on last night's television schedule.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 04:05:02 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 04:06:43 AM »

Side note: since der Brucer hadn't brought anything with him to read, he spent the hours waiting for me reading a cookbook I'd brought along.  Subject of said cookbook?  Charcuterie!

Coincidence?  I'll let you decide.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 04:46:51 AM »

Aww, DR SWoody. I'm sorry to hear about your injuries. Sorry it didn't work out with Blackie. Sadley, we cannot save them all. You two do such good work.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 05:20:37 AM »

OUCH!!! DR SWW!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 05:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the FAME info, DR GEORGE and DR DAKOTA CELT - I had almost forgotten Billy Huffsey...oh my.

I didn't expect the show to age well....but I liked a LOT of the songs and dances in the first season....and for some reason, the last season....and Cameron English who played Paul in A CHORUS LINE dances in the last couple of seasons of the show, and although he is rarely featured, he is very good.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 05:25:29 AM »

VIBES for MR BK for rehearsal and performance today.  Whew!  And good reASSessment vibes for the coming week.

I think the cavalier treatment given you and your show is outrageous.  I don't understand why this is happening.  Or maybe "professional" is beyond their kin.

It has been my (limited) experience that Universities are their own little universes and that NOBODY or ANYTHING outside that little world really exists to them or has any importance.  Of course they are not interested in the "real" world, as can certainly be indicated by the actions of the students they "teach."

The real world will certainly be a shock to them!  But then the professors never have to deal with the real world, they only deal with their own universe.....the center of the world....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 05:25:58 AM »

I guess Swishy Sarah would call that one of my P & B posts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2006, 05:26:38 AM »

Off to the Putnam County Playhouse 2006 Open House!

Yes, theatre is buzzing here in Indiana.....as well as LA and NYC, I hear.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 05:54:01 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late, and now I'm drinking some coffee, rading a lot of HHW posts and listening to Mozart's Great Mass in C minor.  I've always wondered how several compositions by Mozart, Schubert, and others acquire "Great" in their popular titles.  Did some insane 19th Century critic like Hanslick decide "this one is GREAT!" or does it refer to some musical term I'm unacquainted with?  Oy!

Today, I have to continue work on Mario's fixes (I have another one to pick up tomorrow), take goddaughter Charlotte to THE DA VINCI CODE, welcome the summer's houseguest Dylan, and think about booking a couple of flights to Ohio in the next 3-4 months.

Last night I watched TRISTAN + ISOLDE, which was better than I expected.  After sitting through two of three long acts of Wagner's operatic version, the film is blessedly shorter and more dramatic.  In Wagner, King Mark finds T & I locked in an embrace, sings for (I swear!) 30 minutes about being betrayed before he slugs Tristan.  My only problem with the film was that James Franco is certainly pretty as Tristan but too slightly built: both Rufus Sewell and the handsome Henry Cavill, of I CAPTURE THE CASTLE, who would have been good as Tristan are much more solid, in the style of the MBarnum School of Dramatic Art.  Franco looks as if he wandered into a football team after an anorexic swim meat.

In the immortal words of Lorenz Hart:
  Tristan told his heart to Isolde in song
     (I blush)
  Oh, dear, but the song was six houirs long
     (I blush)
  What they did was wrong beyond a doubt
  If it took so long to sing about
  But the thought can make my lily cheek to flush
     I blush!
  Oh, dear, how they yodeled of love and death
    (I blush)
  They died not from love but from lack of breath . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2006, 06:05:38 AM »

Good morning!

It's a nice day outside, and it's going to be in the 80s again today (but cooler the next few days).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2006, 06:06:44 AM »

I will have houseguests for three days starting on Tuesday, so I've got to get in the guest bedroom today and get things situated in anticipation of the company. Will be cleaning the guest bath later today as well, so it's going to be a busy day ahead for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2006, 06:07:39 AM »

If I'm reading my calendar correctly, DR TCB's surgery is tomorrow, so here's some good wishes in advance that all goes well with him on that endeavor.

And, of course, good wishes to bk for his theater endeavor today.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2006, 06:10:02 AM »

In looking at the stack of unwatched DVDs, I think I may start WAR AND PEACE today (the 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn). With as busy a day as it's going to be, I have no thought of finishing it today (it's over three hours long), but I can make a start.

Ben

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2006, 06:32:48 AM »

Good Morning Larry and Deb!

Well, Anthony has left the building. He left around 6:15am and it's now 9:25 so he's well on his way to Virginia, probably out of New Jersey by now and south.

Yesterday we watched My Fair Lady and it was also Eliza Doolitle Day. We had forgotten about that until we were watching the movie and Just You Wait began. "Today, on the 20th of May, I proclaim Liza Doolitle Day" What a co ink e dink!

Today I will go buy a new pair of jeans. It is supposed to be beautiful and the sun is shining right now so I expect good weather for the rest of the day.

I have also begun to transfer some tapes to CD. I have the highlights CD of BK's Unsung Irving Berlin but I could never find the 2-CD set. Luckily, I have the complete work on tape (two casettes) so I am putting that on the hard drive and I will then make my two CDs.

That's all for now. I will be in and out so keep posting so I have as much to read during the day as I did this morning.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 06:37:16 AM by Ben »

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2006, 06:33:33 AM »

Sunday morning greetings!  After work last night, DH Richard and I went to dinner at the local Mexican grocery/cafe and I had the most unusual chicken enchiladas.  We watched a quartet of hot air balloons take off and fly toward DR Elmore's father's house.

I started reading Anthony Rapp's Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical RENT and decided to watch the DVD (which I purchased when it was released but had not yet viewed).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2006, 06:35:30 AM »

I forgot to mention (by the way, Hello to Ginny), Fred, we had one of those Kennedy Center boxes when we saw Company during the Sondheim celebration. For Sweeney we had orchestra seats and for Mame we have orchestra seats. I agree, the boxes are nice. You don't have to worry about people in front of you and if it's a box full of friends you can relax.

Mame, by the way, is being played by Christine Baranski. Vera is being played by Harriet Harris (who won a Tony in 2002 for playing Mrs. Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie) and Gooh is played by Emily Skinner.

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2006, 06:35:54 AM »

Vibes:

~~~for BK's musical adventures

~~~for TPunk's charity walk

~~~for Anthony's travel to Virginia

~~~for SWW's and der Brucer's recovery

~~~for TCB on the day before his surgery
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 08:33:42 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2006, 06:38:07 AM »

DR Ben, if you're dissatisfied with the quality of your Irving Berlin CDs, I (and I'm sure other DRs here) could help you with CDs burned from the originals. I'll be glad to help; just let me know.

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2006, 06:39:47 AM »

Hi to DR's Ben, Elmore, Vixmom, and MattH and anybody else who may turn up while I'm typing!

RE box seats:  Richard and I sat in a box for RENT in New York in January.  He liked it because he could move his chair to acquire more leg room and I liked it because nobody was obstructing my view.  We could not see the upstage right corner, so missed seeing the band and whatever action took place on the platform that I think was above them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up