Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAY OF RECKONING  (Read 16867 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:DAY OF RECKONING
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2006, 11:06:05 AM »

I've heard from our E&T DRJoseS. He's busy but sounds happy and well.  The good news is that he's helped our E&T DR Jason find a new jobAnd I managed to help Jason get out of MTI!!!!!  

DR Jose wites:
"He'll be working as a photo editor at James' office - He starts next Monday.  Great money, full benefits, and flexible scheduling!"

GREAT NEWS!  Once he is settled I hope he will have the time to tell us all about it.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »

Jennifer I find a mild tranquilizer like Adavan works much better than a muscle relaxant, without the overall body numbness.

Bruce Good Vibes for tonight.

Penny, how nice the wedding was perfect. :D

Jane

« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2006, 11:19:30 AM »

Cillaliz I looked over Ginny’s book club site.  I will suggest two books from there, I haven’t mentioned, The Sparrow (I read this one twice in order to lead the discussion-liked it even better the second time) and The Secret Life of Bees.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2006, 11:34:05 AM »

I'm sleepy....

..........I'm very sleepy.....

............................my eyelids are getting heavy...very heavy....

................................................. ....I must close my eyes....but I must continue to read.............

....................................zzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 11:47:26 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2006, 11:46:44 AM »

Last night, I was struck dumb, then blown away...

Yes, as incongruous as all that.

But what else might be said to adequately explain my reaction to my first viewing of Joe Mankiewicz' glorious "The Barefoot Contessa"?

Yes, yes, it's true.  Let's get past the protestations and "say it isn't so's", etc.

San Francisco's KQED (Public Broadcasting) had the audacity to show MGM's quite wonderful "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" last night with a rather odd-looking Hurd Hatfield (there! I've said it.  I find him odd-looking...a bit surly, a bit effete, and as expressionless as if he'd gotten botox injections before every take), a wonderfully loud George Sanders, an impossibly young and lovely Angela Lansbury and the rather odd (I'm fond of "odd" tonight, apparently ... but "odd" is what I find this bit of casting) inclusion of Donna Reed and Peter Lawford, both of whom handle themselves wonderfully, but somehow I kept waiting for Lawford to break into "The French Lesson" from "Good News" and Reed to start dancing the Charleston, looking for a pool to fall into.

But I seriously digress...

Following "Dorian's" rather surprising manner of death  and -- well-what-else-could-they-do-? -- end of the film, KQED began showing "The Barefoot Contessa."

Don't ask me why I'd never seen it.  Surely I'd had access to it.  For some reason, though, the notion of Humphrey Bogart and Edmond O'Brien co-starring in a movie with Ava Gardner and directed by Mankiewicz never seemed like dream casting to me.  

But it was.  The opening scenes were intriguing.  It's the "Sunset Boulevard" approach...but without the victim doing the narrating.   There we are at the funeral of the so-called "Barefoot" Contessa.  And there is this statue...and there on the statue is a bare foot .

Joe Mankiewicz, in this early going, did seem to have been going to the "voiceover well" maybe once too often for my limmediate comfort level.   But after a scene shift to Spain, some loud music and the sense that I was dancing without looking at my feet, and much exposition about who was in the cantina and why, and with O'Brien biting noisily into his ham sandwich-of-a-role, I found myself taken by the idea that Gardner was supposed to be this incredible dancer...but one whom we would never see dance.  In fact, the exposition about getting her to join the table so that the rich guy could look her over for a possible movie role just about convinced me that maybe Gardner would do all her acting off-camera.

But fortunately, that was not the case.  Show up she did.  And from the first scene to the next and then the next, Gardner grew lovelier and lovelier until she was darned near too exquisite to behold. (And we do get to see her dance.  With the gypsies.  It's quite a dance.  And you never get a sense that she's anything other than the terrific dancer the story starts off telling us she was).

It doesn't hurt, of course, that the color photography is breathtaking and that the locations are spectacular.  And then there is Mario Nascimbene's wonderfully melodic, in a Hollywood splashy dramatic sort of way, score that not only dresses the visuals but accentuates the drama at every turn

And how many times, I marvelled, would the scene  shift back to the funeral scene and focus on some other character who would then start sharing some new secret -- taking up where the last scene left off and continuing it into a new direction -- and never let me down?

Joe Mankiewicz never lets you down.

Oh, I was terribly surprised and disappointed for Rossano Brazzi to learn of his debilitating Army injuries...and it seems, today, rather odd to me (yes, ODD) that any man would wait until entering the bride's boudoir after the wedding to let her know that he was not going to be able to be more than a major letdown to her.

One doesn't expect that to happen to Ava Gardner...or any beautiful woman for that matter.  And one certainly never got an inkling from Brazzi that he was pretty much a patchwork quilt of a man.

Oh, well...it matters not.  It's a film of its time and the prevailing sensibilities.  It has a good reputation, this film, and now I know why.  

"Maria Vargas" is the best acting I've seen Ava Gardner do.  I base that on the fact that I was never aware that she "was" acting.  A natural movie star that woman, but in this movie she was real and you can't watch it without knowing how much better she could have been had she been given the parts and the great directors.

And Bogart played against type  (that rough type) once again by being the kindest and most decent person in Maria's life.  Even Edmond O'Brien settled into his role and became a good guy.  

Yes, I'm terribly glad to know why this film is highly regarded.  And I'm also terribly glad to have found another Nascimbene score to relish.

I recommend it, y'all!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 11:53:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »

Last night was fun and the entire meal was delicious, IMHO.  I’m so glad I purchase the rose bundt pan; the cake was lovely to look at.

For the first time in years we made my mother’s clam dip-boy did it bring a flood of memories!  As it has been my entire life, it was a BIG hit.

Jane

« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »

The company left & I was feeling very happy until I heard the tone in Keith voice when he said I had email.

A long time dear friend sent a note with scary news.  While she waits for more tests to be run my friend could really use some anti-cancer vibes.  I’m very scared this is something that has metastasized into her lungs.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2006, 12:38:15 PM »

And then I decided it was time for bed after the movies.  But I realized I'd left a little project incomplete, so I got out my electric drill.

My mission was to replace the four bumpers on one toilet seat...and a couple of the old bumpers wouldn't  come out on their own, so I had to carefully drill them out.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:42:01 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2006, 12:39:57 PM »

After that, I went to bed.  But it was warm and I couldn't get comfortable, so I got up, brought in a fan and set it up by my window (blowing out).  While waiting for the room to become more comfy, I sat at the computer a while...and penned my little missive above...saving it for revision when I had some sleep and a clearer head.

Still....I don't feel I've had quite as much  sleep as I need.

Cillaliz

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2006, 12:50:39 PM »

DR Cillaliz - check out the website for my book group for reading suggestions:

Joy Luck Club Book Discussion Group

Wow! Thanks Ginny.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2006, 12:57:21 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Break A Leg Vibes for BK's Musical Theatre Class Finale Spectacular~~~~[/move]

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 12:58:04 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »

From Cillaliz:I’m very pleased you enjoyed by selections.  I highly recommend THE BRIDGE by Doug Marlette.

Recently my book group read and enjoyed SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRECT FAN by Lisa See.  Have you read PAINTED HOUSE by John Grisham?

Thanks DR Jane, I went to Barnes and Noble today and found myself in the career aisle looking for changing career books.  (I found LIFES A BITCH THEN YOU CHANGE CAREERS) Yikes! Hopefully I'll put that down for a least a week or so. I did get A SHORT HISTORY OF A SMALL PLACE, A SLIGHT TRICK OF THE MIND, by Mitch Cullin, and A WEDDING IN DECEMBER (ok I like a quick Anita Shreve once in awhile) that should last me about a week, lol.

Yes, I read PAINTED HOUSE, I liked it

vixmom

« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2006, 12:58:37 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~No Blister Vibes for TPunk's AIDS Walk~~~~[/move][/color]

vixmom

« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2006, 12:59:06 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~Quick Healing Vibes for SWW's and der Brucer's~~~~~~~~[/move][/color]

vixmom

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2006, 12:59:35 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~Safe Travel Vibes for Anthony~~~~~~~~[/move][/color]

vixmom

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Health Vibes for Jane's Dear Friend~~~~~[/move][/color]

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2006, 01:01:03 PM »

Cillaliz I looked over Ginny’s book club site.  I will suggest two books from there, I haven’t mentioned, The Sparrow (I read this one twice in order to lead the discussion-liked it even better the second time) and The Secret Life of Bees.  

I loved The Secret Life of Bees as well as The Mermaid Chair (her next novel) .  I read The Sparrow, but it was while I was really busy, I could probably try it again

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2006, 01:02:24 PM »

Last night was fun and the entire meal was delicious, IMHO.  I’m so glad I purchase the rose bundt pan; the cake was lovely to look at.

For the first time in years we made my mother’s clam dip-boy did it bring a flood of memories!  As it has been my entire life, it was a BIG hit.

Can we have your recipe?

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2006, 01:03:51 PM »

Back from shopping, which was moderately successful.

DR Jane - Clam Dip is a popular treat from my mother, too.  We should compare recipes! (And, now, I'm hungry for some)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2006, 01:06:56 PM »

From Cillaliz:I’m very pleased you enjoyed by selections.  I highly recommend THE BRIDGE by Doug Marlette.

Recently my book group read and enjoyed SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRECT FAN by Lisa See.  Have you read PAINTED HOUSE by John Grisham?

My book group just selected Snow Flower and the Secret Fan as our book for September.  We always try in Sept. to read something set in or about the country that's featured for Middfest, our early-October international festival here in Middletown.  This year, the country is China.  There were many good choices, but the Lisa See book appealed to most.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2006, 01:07:01 PM »

I had a dream last night that I went to Ohio to visit my brother in his new house, and while there I decided I would call DR Ginny to see if we could get together.

I called her at the library and was put through to the information booth.  I kept asking for Ginny but they refused to put me through to her.

The woman on the phone  kept telling me "She doesn't work the information booth any more she's been promoted.  I can help you ."

So I said, " Well the only inforamtion I want is to know if she is available to have lunch with me"

and was told "You have to be more precise is this a novel or biography?"

"Please." I begged, "Please put Ginny on the phone, its a personal phone call for her... please put me through!"

but she wouldn't.  

I have no idea what this dream means.  

vixmom

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2006, 01:08:03 PM »

and while I was typing the above missive the subject of my dream appeared! Finally success!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:08:19 PM by vixmom »

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2006, 01:08:20 PM »

Good to hear that DR's Jose and Jason are OK - I miss them both.

vixmom

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2006, 01:10:32 PM »

Ginny Have you ever read Spring Moon by Belle Bao Lord  or Amy Tan's "A Thousand Secret Senses" ( I may have the title slightly off on this one, I never remember how many secret senses there are!!)

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2006, 01:11:45 PM »

DR Vixmom -  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, shortly after I started working at this particular (peculiar?) library, my sister-in-law had almost that identical conversation with one of my co-workers!

Just tell 'em you're looking for "free money" and they'll put you right through!

vixmom

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2006, 01:12:20 PM »

PennyO what a beautiful description of your nephews wedding.  I was quite moved

vixmom

« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2006, 01:13:25 PM »

RLP... I have never had any inclination to see The Barefoot Contessa but now I am convinced I must seek it out.

vixmom

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2006, 01:14:13 PM »

DR Vixmom -  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, shortly after I started working at this particular (peculiar?) library, my sister-in-law had almost that identical conversation with one of my co-workers!

Just tell 'em you're looking for "free money" and they'll put you right through!

LOL!! Maybe I was channelling your SIL!!

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2006, 01:15:40 PM »

Ginny Have you ever read Spring Moon by Belle Bao Lord  or Amy Tan's "A Thousand Secret Senses" ( I may have the title slightly off on this one, I never remember how many secret senses there are!!)

Have not read Spring Moon, but it was one of the choices for this year.  I listened to Amy Tan read The Hundred Secret Senses and she can imitate her Chinese mother in much the same way a mutual acquaintance of mine and DR Elmore's could imitate her French-born mother.

vixmom

« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2006, 01:15:58 PM »

TCB I hope my little package arrived in time.  I tried to find something that would keep you laughing during recovery!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up