Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DAY OF RECKONING  (Read 17084 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:DAY OF RECKONING
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2006, 03:21:10 PM »

Well, I'm off to take a shower (finally) then get a bite to eat and watch some TV.  Tonight is the Seattle Storm's first game of the new WNBA season and my niece is going to the game in Seattle (she got season tickets for Christmas).  I have to watch it live because we've found that if I watch on TV (or listen on the radio or go see a game) live, they have a much, much, MUCH (that's three muches) greater chance of winning than if I don't follow the game live.  Only maybe two or three times in several years have they ever lost when I've watched or listened to a game live.  I must do my part to help continue their streak! ;D

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 03:22:06 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2006, 03:23:06 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Five Leaving to Get Lunch Dance!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2006, 03:45:31 PM »

They tried to get the author to come and do some readings, but she wasn't able (or interested, I think ::)), but they got a reader of one of the talking books (Jenna Lamia) to do some readings.  She was quite good and very popular.  

DR George - an inherent difficulty in the One City/One Book programs is that it's general practice to select a book that's available in paperback.  By the time that happens, the author often has a newer book out and that's the one they and their publishers want to be out promoting.  We ran into that with Nickel and Dimed; it had become old news to Barbara Ehrenreich and her publisher.

On the other hand, some of the best programs I've ever attended at library conferences and our staff day were the ones with audiobook performers.  Glad it worked out for your library and I will pass that suggestion on to the planners of our 2007 Big Read (they're just in the book selection phase now).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2006, 04:02:22 PM »

That is funny... The last time I check Chile was on Pacific side of South America... Unless they capture on the tip of South America at Tierra Del Fuego?

I never knew that Salmon had wings?

Han't anyone ever heard of a flying fish?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2006, 04:10:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU[/move]

FOR ALL OF YOUR GOOD WISHES AND VIBES!
“One thing’s universal,

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2006, 04:12:31 PM »

Add mine, mi amigo.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU~~~THANK YOU[/move]

FOR ALL OF YOUR GOOD WISHES AND VIBES!

I send them, too, DR TCB![move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SUCCESSFUL VIBES  TO OUR DR TCB!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2006, 04:12:55 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ what didja do wid duh rhubarb?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2006, 04:22:19 PM »

Well we sold 849 season tickets -

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2006, 04:24:02 PM »

Which means of the 1379 seats we have for each run (7 x 196), 849 are already sold.

We are at 62% now....which is a good way to start the season.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2006, 04:25:09 PM »

Well, I have managed to make myself sick in the hours before leaving for the hospital.  When I got up this morning I felt tired, groggy, and sick to my stomach.  I tried having some coffee and reading the Sunday paper, but I kept feeling worse and worse.  Finally, I gave up and went back to bed, where I have spent most of the day. I still feel dizzy and all worn out.

See what happens when I worry too much about BK's shows?
[/font][/size]
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2006, 04:50:06 PM »

I have not read any of those but I have added them to my list. I have read Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club. Rather enjoyed it.

Has anyone read Audrey Neffinegger's Time Travveler's Wife?

Jane, I really like Peace Like a River.

I read The Time Traveler's Wife.  It was really different, but I liked it.  Another great chronologically different book is The Confessions of Max Tivoli

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2006, 04:52:11 PM »

I am working on some genealogy research and I cannot find this town in California. It is listed in the obit as LaKwinta, California....

IT was listed for a relation that died in 2005 in a small town ND newspaper.

any Ideas?

Try  LaQuinta, CA

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2006, 04:52:51 PM »

I'm still pondering my opinion of THE DA VINCI CODE.  It was like the girl with the curl:  when it was good it was very good.  I agree with DR Maria:  too long, and since there was a bit of abridgement of the book and the removal of one character at the end, I think they could have abridged a bit more and cut 15-30 minutes.  I loved the first 90 minutes

My friend Mr McKellan was wonderful, and gave the show a big kick when he took over.  I did think some of the narrative visualizations a tad campy, and would have preferred the narrative plain, as it is in THE MALTESE FALCON.  

Overall, I gues the film, like the book, is a good amusement park ride, only it goes a bit too long.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2006, 04:55:34 PM »

DR CILLA LIZ what didja do wid duh rhubarb?

So far only Rhubarb sauce. I made it last night because I was having rhubarb cravings. I have a pound left, so I may get out some cookbooks and see what i can do

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

I see DR Maria already mentioned LaQuinta. So, I guess I second that opinion

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »

Didn't make it to DaVinci Code, I just can't see paying full price, so I'll try a weekday matinee. What a treat that will be

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2006, 05:01:27 PM »

GOOD SURGERY VIBES TO TCB AND SPEEDY RECOVERY!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2006, 05:10:29 PM »

The LaQunta Code?

Watching some Rudy Valentino on TCM tonight.

Ginny

« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2006, 05:41:01 PM »

My friend Mr McKellan was wonderful, and gave the show a big kick when he took over.

DR Elmore - You know Gandalf?  DH Richard and DS Rob will be so-o-o-o impressed!

They both saw the movie yesterday - not together and not even in the same state - and said the same thing.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2006, 05:50:48 PM »

DR TCB - hope you feel better before you have to go to the hospital.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »

Do you think I could tell them that I am too sick to go to the hospital?

“One thing’s universal,

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2006, 06:01:11 PM »

Odd as that sentiment is -- I do, too.

FEEL BETTER BEFORE THE OPERATION VIBES TO TCB!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 06:01:40 PM by Maria »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2006, 06:01:14 PM »

DR Elmore - You know Gandalf?  DH Richard and DS Rob will be so-o-o-o impressed!

They both saw the movie yesterday - not together and not even in the same state - and said the same thing.

Sir Ian was the Master Toymaker on the BABES IN TOYLAND recording.  He's kind, funny, generous, all-round mensch.  Do I get more respect now?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2006, 06:07:21 PM »

My friend Mr McKellan was wonderful, and gave the show a big kick when he took over.  I did think some of the narrative visualizations a tad campy, and would have preferred the narrative plain, as it is in THE MALTESE FALCON.  

I agree on both counts. The "narrative visualizations" were like moviemaking for audiences with ADD. I actually burst out laughing at one point when someone was talking about the Middle Ages -- and suddenly we were in the Middle Ages (or something like that).
And when we had visual aids for picking out certain aspects of The Last Supper -- I felt like I was back at college in Art 101.
But McKellan was a treat. Great fun.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 06:08:45 PM by Maria »

MBarnum

« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2006, 06:11:50 PM »

HI Tom,

Here is hoping that you have a very handsome anesthesiologist and very kind nurses for your surgery!

Chin up and we shall see you when you are feeling good enough to post again!

Do have that cute couple next door let us know how you are doing and don't enjoy the medication too much!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2006, 06:13:19 PM »

Do you think I could tell them that I am too sick to go to the hospital?

They'll tell you. Hope you get rid of this bug, whatever it is, so you can get the surgery over with. But if you're still feeling sick tomorrow, I bet they'll want to postpone the procedure.
I'll send good thoughts your way, TCB.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2006, 06:14:42 PM »

Sir Ian was the Master Toymaker on the BABES IN TOYLAND recording.  He's kind, funny, generous, all-round mensch.  Do I get more respect now?

Yeah, but do you know Dakota James?
“One thing’s universal,

Danise

« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »

Evening folks!

Where did the weekend go?  It seems like I just got home!

Just wanted to stop by to wish Dear TCB the very best vibes for his surgery tomorrow.  We all know the power of HHW vibes and they will certainly be around you tomororw.

I may not be on the net tomorrow morning.  I took Bonnie to the Dealership yesterday thinking I would finely get that back panel replaced.  They called on Friday and said it had come in and was painted.

As it turns out, I can't have the work done on a weekend, it has to be on a weekday.  That's not what I was told so I was not a very happy camper.  

Sooo I have to drive to the Church bus stop tomorrow and catch the bus from there so when I come home, I can get off at the church and (I Hope) make it to the dealership before it closes at six so I can drop Bonnie off and have someone drive me home.

Then on Tuesday, I have to walk down to the local bus stop to go to work and get off at the church and call the dealership to have someone waiting for me to pick me up so I can get Bonnie back and drive home.  Whew!

I don't think I shall take the laptop with me.  I don't want to have a lot to carry just in case things don't work out.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2006, 06:27:15 PM »

Thanks to all for the vibage.  I not only appreciate it, I think it's helped lift my spirits through the day.

I took a break to write my father about what's happened.  I can hear my stepmother now - "Everything happens to him!"  What can I say, I have an interesting life.

Time to get dinner on the table.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up